Why does 'mature' have to mean gory/terrifying?

'Cube Daddy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This has kind of been bothering me. First off, let me give you a quote from this website.

Electronic Art's European veep, Dr Jens Uwe Intat has said if the 'mature' Wii game, Dead Space Extraction, doesn't 'work' then "from our point of view at least of more mature games on the Wii just does not work."

Second, I'm a chicken when it comes to horror. I don't mind violence, but the real grisly stuff doesn't sit well with me. Ok, that being said...

Why is it that if a bloody, gory, terrifying game fails to sell very well the market for more 'mature' games doesn't exist? I WANT MATURE TITLES, but I'm not the kind of person who necessarily wants to play extremely violent, sexual or profane video games all the time. I'm not saying that they don't have a place, and I'm also not saying that I'd never buy one if it was something that really caught my eye, but come on! In my opinion, 'mature' should also simply mean challenging and not intended for young children. Keep your bloodbaths, overt sexuality, and incessant swearing and just give me a game that will keep me coming back for more with a compelling story and gameplay that hands my ass back to me on a daily basis. Take, for example, Fire Emblem. No average 10-year-old is going to play that through to completion, but there's really nothing 'questionable' about the content. It's just too hard.

I know that others feel the same way about this whole situation and I'm tired of publishers and devs making threats to end the flow of 'mature' titles to the Wii. Can't we just redefine what 'mature' is? Just because I own a Wii doesn't mean I don't want an adult-oriented videogame. But not all adults care for the kind of content that we've been fed lately. Geez...

Ok, end of rant. Just had to get that out. ;)

I tnink you are confusing the issue. EA and others are just saying that games that rely on gore (or profanity or sex) as the hook may not work or certain platforms. There are still plenty or challenging games that target a more mature audience, but may be rated E or T. For example, there are plenty of puzzle games that kids may have no interest in, but are rated "E". You should still be in good shape.

I first read the topic as "Nature" and not "Mature".

Oddly enough, take a game like Manhunt 2 which is supposedly a mature title, but the actions contained within seem slightly immature if you ask me. I guess it's all in the yes of the beholder.

I completely agree. With few exceptions I don't like extreme violence and whatnot in my games, but that doesn't mean I'm not a 'mature' gamer. Likewise, I've never understood why Hardcore Gamer was equated to similar violent gaming experiences.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I tnink you are confusing the issue. EA and others are just saying that games that rely on gore (or profanity or sex) as the hook may not work or certain platforms. There are still plenty or challenging games that target a more mature audience, but may be rated E or T. For example, there are plenty of puzzle games that kids may have no interest in, but are rated "E". You should still be in good shape.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, though, that people associate a 'mature' game with getting an M rating. I have no desire to play madworld, for example, and it strikes me as being the antithesis to 'mature'. I haven't gotten to play 'Little King Story' yet, but some things I've read (brainygamer) indicate that it is truly a mature game - it makes you think about what you are doing, why you are doing it, and the consequences of your actions.

An M rating doesn't make a game 'mature', it just means it has an M rating. I really don't like it when people substitute 'mature' for 'violent'. As in:

"I wish they would come out with more mature games for the wii" when what they really mean is "I wish they would come out with more violent shoot-em-ups for the wii".

[QUOTE='Cube Daddy;6251925]snip[/QUOTE]

ESRB is not a "you'll enjoy it at this age".

It's a content guideline. M just happens to be bloody and violent.

There are plenty of games I enjoy that are E.... and I know there are T games even a

I'm pretty sure he meant "Mature", not "mature". Non-story is non-story.

Now tell me more about this "Fire Emblem" of which you speak.

[quote name='The Crotch']I'm pretty sure he meant "Mature", not "mature". Non-story is non-story.

Now tell me more about this "Fire Emblem" of which you speak.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, though, in most normal discussion of games 'mature' == 'Mature'.

Maybe another good question is, why do 'core gamers' think that you have to love gory games to be a 'core gamer'.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Maybe another good question is, why do 'core gamers' think that you have to love gory games to be a 'core gamer'.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I said/asked. :D

[QUOTE='Cube Daddy;6251925]Keep your bloodbaths, overt sexuality, and incessant swearing and just give me a game that will keep me coming back for more with a compelling story and gameplay that hands my ass back to me on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]
Er, why does a game have to be difficult to be "mature"? I like certain types of tough games as well, but I also like easier/challenge-adjustable games as well (like the aforementioned puzzle games).

Because ratings systems don't ascertain what certain ages may enjoy experiencing, they detail what younger ages shouldn't experience.

For example, a game that appeals to, and is made for adults could contain no sex, violence, or profanity whatsoever, and it would receive an E for everyone rating. Even though the themes and ideas presented in the game could be way beyond a childs ability to comprehend and appreciate.

Ratings are really just a list of the 'bad' stuff in games. Things the majority of society may find offensive. They are in no way an indication of the maturity level of the content in the game. In fact, the opposite is often true. Many gory, violent, sex filled games are completely juvenile.

bread's done
Back