Why does my internet connection only work for one computer?

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I've tried finding a solution online but with no luck. I have a desktop that has an ethernet cord plugged in coming from the little cable router box thing. I've tried unplugging the cord from the desktop and plugging it into my laptop but I can't get a connection with it. I've tried messing with network settings but I really don't know what I'm doing. Any ideas?

Go to network settings and see if the LAN connection might have been disabled. Right click on it and the option to enable should show up if it does happen to be disabled.

If not, then you might not have the drivers installed for the ethernet port. Your laptop should have come with a cd that says drivers/utilities. If not, then visit the manufacturer's website and look for the drivers there. Give that a shot and see if it works.

At least this is what I think might solve your problem.

check your network connections and make sure your lan tcip connection is set up for automatic ip and dns settings..

we need more info to really be more helpful. os? does your ethernet network adapter show up under device manager?

It could be a few things (I don't believe I'm even answering this...)

1) You could have some security features installed/set on your desktop (Wap/Wep, etc.) that aren't set on your desktop.

2) The network configuration could be completely different (one can be set for DHCP, while the other is set for something else)...

Me, I have a Mac, it does it all for me...anyway good luck.

I checked the settings out and the connection is not disabled. The drivers should be fine, I use an ethernet connection at school and it works fine but the one here at home won't. The settings are both on automatic. I don't know what my ethernet network adapter is but everything under the device manager looks normal. As for DHCP, I couldn't figure that out.

My laptop is Windows 2000 and the desktop is XP if that helps.

Seriously, call your cable/ISP and have them work it out with you on the phone, that's what you pay them for.

you need to restart your cable modem whwn you do that. it thinks still talking to your desktop, therefor not working. completely unplug your modem from the power jack for 30 seconds and the plug it back in then plug it into whatever computer you wanna use. ps.... buy a router

If the cable modem is reading the MAC from your router rather than your desktop, make sure the laptop is behaving correctly.

Open a command line and do a release and renew in IPCONFIG. Then make sure you're getting an address from the router and that you can ping its gateway.

if you just have a cable modem, restart it after plugging it into the new computer...it will work

i work tech support for cable internet, this will work

bread's done
Back