Why doesn't Amazon sell anything Nintendo Hardware related?

ral1121

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
Amazon currently doesn't sell any Nintendo Wii's, DS's, or the 3DS and 3DS XL. All third part sellers though.

I was planning on pre ordering a Wii U after the September 13 conference but now I am sure Amazon won't offer that either. I guess I'll will just have to look elsewhere but it would have been nice to use some credit for it. I'm still hopeful as other Amazon sites such as the one from Canada do offer all these products.

I wonder if there is some issues between Amazon and Nintendo here in the U.S., as other retailers have those hardware for sale.

My hypothesis is that they make a higher margin off of commissions from third-party sales than they would from selling the products themselves at MSRP.

They better have Wii U for preorder! I was planning on really picking up on the online survey sites Ive been slacking on and maybe earning enough Amazon credit to get a free or almost free Wii U :p

[quote name='juangrande386']They better have Wii U for preorder! I was planning on really picking up on the online survey sites Ive been slacking on and maybe earning enough Amazon credit to get a free or almost free Wii U :p[/QUOTE]

It's almost a certainty at this point that they won't.

I can't imagine Nintendo not wanting to launch it's newest console with the countries biggest retailer, especially when so much gift shopping is done online.

[quote name='RoadDogg']I can't imagine Nintendo not wanting to launch it's newest console with the countries biggest retailer, especially when so much gift shopping is done online.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is huge, but not even close to the country's largest retailer. Not even top 10.

http://www.stores.org/2012/Top-100-Retailers

Nintendo has always offered retailers a very small profit margin on hardware and won't negotiate even with the biggest sellers. The only reason to stock Nintendo hardware is to drive traffic. At this point Amazon seems to have decided that it's not worth it, although I would expect that to change around the holiday season.

Amazon is a business and they can choose not to stock the products if they do not want to just as any other retailer can. They have obviously decided not to stock them for some reason. They choose not to stock the 3DS since it is essentially a flawed product in that the screens scratch themselves over time and there is nothing that can be done to fix this unless you want to modify your system with screen protectors or extra bumpers. I don't even know if this is the reason they don't stock the 3DS but that is what I have heard.

The only reason the B&M retailers stock gaming products is because their competition does, and if one retailer does not stock a certain popular product they will lose business and the customers who want that product will simply go to the store down the street. Also with the hope of luring the customer into the store with games they will buy more profitable things like game accessories which carry huge margins and other items that are in the store.

bread's done
Back