Why/how is G4 still on the air?

Graystone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I have not watched G4 since before Christmas. Anyway I decide to watch it today and almost everything is a rerun. I saw stuff that I watched 4-5 months ago when I watched it last. That I didn't care about to much but then I go to watch attack of the show and everyone is gone. No ones left (Sarah, Brendan) from Techtv its all G4 now and its really sad. I have no idea wtf is going on but I now hate G4. It has no video game feel to it, it has no Tech feel.

They have the man show, Star trek, Fastlane and 10 repeats of X-play etc.
I really miss techtv.

G4 is like the spike channel if they cared about games sorta.

I miss the days of coming home and watching Call for help, and The Screen Savers.
They have to be getting good enough ratings to stay afloat. But who is watching this?

[quote name='Graystone']But who is watching this?[/QUOTE]

Chumps and/or Chumpettes are.

I occasionally watch X-Play, and Fastlane, but I cant beleive they took Judgement Day off the air. That was by far the best show.

I like Icons, but I'm pretty sure that's gone now... The sign that the end is really here will be when (not if) they start showing reruns of The John Henson project, which Spike cancelled after like 3 episodes I think..

I only watch X-Play and Icons, occassionally AOTS, but it kinda seems like a cheap version of the screen savers.

G4 wouldn't suck so bad if they didn't get rid of all of the gaming related shows for stuff like, the man show and Fastlane, I like Fastlane but I want a network for games, asking how it's still on the air though is like asking why George W. Bush was elected for a second term. No one knows, and no matter what we say no one will listen.

X-Play is probably the most popular since they do show like 10+ airings a day.

Working at G4 must be nice, play 17 hours of reruns and 1 hour of a new Attack Of The Show. Done for the day load up some paid programming.

I never really got on the Star Trek bandwagon but even if I was I wouldn't want it on G4. I just want some shows about games that aren't 1(+) year(s) old

[quote name='arcadia']I only watch X-Play and Icons, occassionally AOTS, but it kinda seems like a cheap version of the screen savers.

G4 wouldn't suck so bad if they didn't get rid of all of the gaming related shows for stuff like, the man show and Fastlane, I like Fastlane but I want a network for games, asking how it's still on the air though is like asking why George W. Bush was elected for a second term. No one knows, and no matter what we say no one will listen.

X-Play is probably the most popular since they do show like 10+ airings a day.

Working at G4 must be nice, play 17 hours of reruns and 1 hour of a new Attack Of The Show. Done for the day load up some paid programming.

I never really got on the Star Trek bandwagon but even if I was I wouldn't want it on G4. I just want some shows about games that aren't 1(+) year(s) old[/quote]

I like X-Play somewhat. Everyone says it's on alot, but if I leave my tv on 24/7 for background noise, on G4, I might catch 2-3 episodes of X-Play. Everything else is just Star Trek, they must show atleast 10 episodes of Star Trek a day.

I watch AOTS and xplay occasionally. Thats about it. I really miss tech tv. I used to like watching judgement day aswell, but I think they took that off the air? I haven't seen it on in forever.

[quote name='Graystone']They have the man show, Star trek, Fastlane and 10 repeats of X-play etc.
I really miss techtv.

G4 is like the spike channel if they cared about games sorta.

I miss the days of coming home and watching Call for help, and The Screen Savers.
They have to be getting good enough ratings to stay afloat. But who is watching this?[/quote]

SpikeTV has a show called Half Baked Games or something. Its pretty much for mainstream gamers only from what I saw of it.

In the case of G4/Tech it just proves the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I've been watching ST:TNG - forgot how great that show was - and I was watching Fastlane until it looped back into repeats. Haven't watched much of their original programming in a while but I do like Judgement Day, Icons but I haven't noticed a new one in ages, X-Play can be fun, and AOTS has it's moments. I tend to flip AOTS on and give it about 20 seconds before I decide 'nah, not today...'

[quote name='wubb']I've been watching ST:TNG - forgot how great that show was - and I was watching Fastlane until it looped back into repeats. Haven't watched much of their original programming in a while but I do like Judgement Day, Icons but I haven't noticed a new one in ages, X-Play can be fun, and AOTS has it's moments. I tend to flip AOTS on and give it about 20 seconds before I decide 'nah, not today...'[/quote]

Since I left my job I have been watching DS9 and TNG almost daily. Great stuff.

I think they were airing Call for Help again. It was on sometime in the morning. They were new shows. I cought the end of one a few months ago, but I forgot what time/what day it was. It was nice seeing Leo back on tv doing his thing.

I really don't understand how they can cancel shows like Icons, Judgement Day, and Call For Help (Unless it's back?), yet keep running that Cheats garbage.

Well G4 brought all their fans over, who mainly only cared about games and not tech, so shows like The Screen Savers and Call for help were doomed, even with the old tech tv fanbase. It was sad to see that happen though.

As for other shows that relate to gaming such as judgement day, I have no idea why they aren't on anymore. I used to enjoy Arena for awhile too. It was decent.

I've just always figured anyone who's going to watch G4 already knows to just go to GameFAQ's and get what they need right away, instead of waiting 40 minutes for them to get to it on Cheat.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Why do I get the feeling that "Call For Help" is going to be really needed when Vista comes out?[/QUOTE]

It will be. It's needed for a lot of reasons. I can only speak for myself, but back in the day I learned a lot from that show.

Theres always leo's podcast. He also does Call for Help in Canada, which I think are the shows G4 was showing, that I saw. You can most likely find torrents for the episodes.

I never really got into G4... watched it a few times, not bad, then I watched whatever show Morgan Webb is on (is that X-Play?)... until I realized it was a rerun reviewing games that came out 6 months ago, and found Walker Texas Ranger instead.

wwnd?

G4tv.gif

I used to watch AOTS occasionally, but now that sara and brendan left, I don't watch it anymore, the new girl sucks. All I watch now is X-Play. I was psyched when call for help came back, unfortunately, they gave it a crappy time slot and was quickly cancelled. It's only a matter of time until they cancel X-Play and turn completely into a spike tv clone.

[quote name='Maklershed']Tech Tv used to be great before g4 got mixed in. From that day on it went downhill harder and harder.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

do they still have the "electric playground" commercial that advertises Spider Man 2?

I watch AOTS sometimes (usually the 15 minutes from when I get home to when TNG starts). I only watch it now for TNG, Thats about all

[quote name='Apossum']do they still have the "electric playground" commercial that advertises Spider Man 2?[/quote]

The last time I saw that show (about 2 weeks ago) they were previewing Star Wars Battlefront 2 and SSX On Tour. :roll:

You know what would be horrible? If X-play, and AOTS were cancelled.

AOTS isn't that good but it does have some moments worth watching. Once those shows go it'll be a matter of days when G4 ends forever.

Kevin rose's final days on aots were so sad...he was the only one on that show who had anything worthwhile to say that intelligent viewers would care about.

Kevin Perrera kinda just jumps around and makes an ass of himself and you could tell Rose was thinking "what a douche, can't wait to get out of here..."

Yes.....Techtv was murdered by G4. As soon as they got the man show i know i had to stop watching it.....seriouly the man show sucks ass man...christ. I visted their website a couple times but every video you click on seems to have yet another annoying promo for the man show.

Damn i miss Leo.......

they show X-Play so much so all the little 14 year old boys who think Adam and Morgan are actually funny can also rub one out to Morgan all day long.

I checked out G4 tonight since I heard about a new host on AOTS. The new girl is HORRIBLE. When she was doing The Feed, I couldn't tell wether she was just waiting for an opportunity to run out of the studio, or just had a third grade reading level. She was reading straight off the teleprompter, not even trying to hide it, plus she was skipping over words. There's one more show gone.

We should start the "How long til G4 is officially dead?" forum pool.

I've got my money on June 17th 2006

G4 is owned by Comcast. It's not going anywhere. They'll eventually find the mix of shows they're looking for to become SpikeTV Jr.

[quote name='arcadia']We should start the "How long til G4 is officially dead?" forum pool.

I've got my money on June 17th 2006[/QUOTE]

[quote name='adamsappel']G4 is owned by Comcast. It's not going anywhere. They'll eventually find the mix of shows they're looking for to become SpikeTV Jr.[/QUOTE]
this channel is a tv exec's wet dream...

the cost of re-airing a show you already own? residual payments for the hosts (far less than commissioning new episodes.)

where do channels make their money? it's not from ratings, but from advertisement sales. granted higher ratings increase the demand for said airtime, thereby increasing the fee, but i'm sure they still manage to sell commercial spots to companies.

face it, it's a profitable channel that pretty much has the videogame niche monopolized. it's gonna be around until they can no longer make profits.

Happy Tree Friends is pretty twisted and the late night Cinemateque has an old school Skinamax vibe to it. The rest of it is crap.

[quote name='Collectordragon']I really miss TechTV. I watched it since the ZDTV days. It was sad to see it merged with G4 and then gutted and tossed to the curb.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

I miss the old Screen Savers, Extended Play (NOT X-Play, though it's the best thing that remains on that godforsaken channel), and TechLive. I miss Chris Pirillo, Martin Sargeant, and Morgan before they turned her into the channel's resident sexpot. The channel had a great mix of news and tech before and was genuinely entertaining.

Apparently, Comcast didn't get that. Maybe the (presumably craptastic) ratings might someday serve as a clue to them that, whatever was on the channel when they bought it, is long gone.

[quote name='arcadia']asking how it's still on the air though is like asking why George W. Bush was elected for a second term. No one knows, and no matter what we say no one will listen.[/QUOTE]

President Bush got re-elected by receiving 59,117,523 votes, the most votes in the history of the United States of America, in an election process that serves as the foundation of our democratic government. So to correct your statement, I know. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. This is what my passion is - helping special children.

Back on topic, I think X-Play is a very good show and Adam Sessler is hilarious in my opinion. It's not so great for reviews, but rather for entertaining commentary on games. It seems like it's the only good show left, though.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']I've just always figured anyone who's going to watch G4 already knows to just go to GameFAQ's and get what they need right away, instead of waiting 4 weeks for them to get to it on Cheat.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='lockarm']Fixed.[/quote]

I was assuming they were watching the episode about the game they need help on, and would have to sit through half the show to get to what they need to know.

This shit is hilarious. Everyone is like "I have not watched it in 6 months." From the couple days worth I saw while visiting my sister, the whole G4 channel was kind of filled with either people who didn't play games but were alright hosts or people who played games and were annoying as hell. That and they show way too many reruns.

[quote name='Purple Flames']G4 just joined the trend of TV networks not airing the material the channel was meant for in the first place.[/QUOTE]

MTV mastered this trend eons ago. Hell does VH1 even has music programming on it anymore?

[quote name='Graystone']G4 is like the spike channel if they cared about games sorta.[/QUOTE]

The only thing G4 needs is:

- A few more syndicated rerun shows to run outside of Star Trek. Think CSI or The Shield.
- Some of those amazing things shot on camera shows.
- TNA Wrestling (double points if its TNA Xplosion which about all of 3 small stations air to begin with)
- UFC.
- Movies that have been played to death on every other network that now G4 can do the same with. Think Top Gun, every Bond film, The Godfather trilogy, a bunch of B-rate movies.... did I mention Top Gun?

g4 is like a lot of the threads on this site...if everyone ignores it, it will go away. but you always get that one guy that resurrects the 6 month old thread that wasn't locked yet. stop bitching about reruns and ignore the shit. it will go away once it can no longer make a profit.

yes, techtv was good, but it's dead. that's the past. deal with it.

yes, it's like a spike clone from what i hear, but it makes money.

if cable tv channels were stores, g4 is the dollar store. it's cheap and profitable, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Action Blast is also pretty good in the mornings. I like Kaiju Big Battle even if they only have like 5 episodes. Beast Wars still rules.

[quote name='edtinney']President Bush got re-elected by receiving 59,117,523 votes, the most votes in the history of the United States of America, in an election process that serves as the foundation of our democratic government. So to correct your statement, I know. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. This is what my passion is - helping special children.

Back on topic, I think X-Play is a very good show and Adam Sessler is hilarious in my opinion. It's not so great for reviews, but rather for entertaining commentary on games. It seems like it's the only good show left, though.[/QUOTE]Actually, he got 62,040,610. John Kerry is the one who got 59,028,111. Of course, the 62 million vote count doesn't matter much when his approval rating is in the dumpster.

bread's done
Back