Why I Hate Ebay:

kell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
165 (100%)
Although Ebay is a great place to find items that cannot be found anywhere else, I have never been I big fan of buying on the site. However, I have recently been looking to acquire some older games and Ebay is the only place to find them. So here are a few reasons why I am not a fan:

1. Here is a game as I received it (surprised I even got it the way the label was attached). This is a new boxed N64 game that I paid a fairly high price for.

[img=http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9318/dscf0005alu5.th.jpg]

Yes, that is a BROWN PAPER BAG it is wrapped in.

2. Here is my "Brand New in Cellophane" SNES game:

[img=http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/911/games092ki7.th.jpg]

[img=http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5403/games096zo5.th.jpg]

3. Studies have been done that show items are more expensive on Ebay than other retailers. The reason is people become emotionally attached to auctions and want to "win". Ebay helps facilitate the winning/losing aspect with their marketing. Two examples of this:

The first is when I see auctions end for more than active BINs of the exact same item. I see it all the time. I will use an auction I just bid on as example number 2. Here is a portion of the Bid List:

Dumbass (winning bid) US $63.00
s.gif
Jun-29-07 04:47:49 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

s.gif
Me
US $62.00
s.gif
Jun-28-07 22:35:04 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

Dumbass US $60.01
s.gif
Jun-29-07 04:47:02 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

Dumbass US $51.51
s.gif
Jun-29-07 04:46:27 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

Usually I only bid on items at the last minute because of idiots like this who artificially inflate the price due to their eagerness to win. Unfortunately this ended at 5am my time. But this illustrates how people will enter their bid and realize that they aren't the highest bidder and will bid more immediately. A reasonable person will determine how much they are willing to pay and bid that amount. Others will get emotionally involved and continue to bid until they "win".

I could go on but I figure I will let others add some of their own pet peeves with Ebay. This may be more about how I hate dumbasses more than it is Ebay. Don't get me wrong, I benefit from Ebay by buying and selling on it. But it annoys me to no end sometimes to use it.

[quote name='Puffa469']I dont see any pictures. :cry:[/quote]

I am new to posting pics. I can see them. Maybe I did something wrong...

I see the pics.

I understand Ebay hate completely, but I'd like to see a link to these auctions. There's definitely a way to read ebay auctions and look for shifty wording. If you're new to it, post the auctions and me or some other ebayer on cag can point out where you may have gone wrong by bidding on these auctions-- if that's the case. If it's not, then you were lied to and should ask for a refund.

as for bidding, put in the maximum amount you're willing to pay, then watch it for the last minute or so. that should block any sniping.

[quote name='Graystone']Contact the seller tell them wrapped in heat shrink isn't new. They don't want to give you a refund. File a complaint with paypal.[/quote]

I wrote the guy and he responded with "that's how it was sold to me." I told him that doesn't make it new and filed a claim with PP. But I am still responsible for shipping charges back to him according to PP policies. To me it is more the blatant deceitfulness used to gain profit that pisses me off.

[quote name='Apossum']I see the pics.

I understand Ebay hate completely, but I'd like to see a link to these auctions. There's definitely a way to read ebay auctions and look for shifty wording. If you're new to it, post the auctions and me or some other ebayer on cag can point out where you may have gone wrong by bidding on these auctions-- if that's the case. If it's not, then you were lied to and should ask for a refund. I guess I am an honest person and don't feel like I should have to resort to "reading" an auction. But I do agree with you that there are ways to tell whether an auction is shady or not.

as for bidding, put in the maximum amount you're willing to pay, then watch it for the last minute or so. that should block any sniping.[/quote]

I know my way around Ebay fairly well, but thanks. I knew there might be problems with the SNES game as there was no picture. I paid

[quote name='kell']I know my way around Ebay fairly well, but thanks. I knew there might be problems with the SNES game as there was no picture. I paid

Yea some idiot sniped bidded me on a copy of Robot Alchemic Drive for ps2...lame, anyways yea I just bid what I want to pay, if I don't win oh well.

If items aren't packaged properly, they can become damaged, though I've found that putting 'DO NOT BEND' on guide packages works well, along with putting cardboard on BOTH sides of the guide.

And, you'd be surprised how durable those brown paper bags really ARE, though both ends of it should've been sealed with packing tape to assure no leaking of fluids into the package.

Aside from that, it looks like it arrived in one piece, which is always a bonus in my opinion.

The cart only game though that was 'new in plastic(complete with writing on the back)' was not NEW by my standards OR by anyones, except the seller apparently.

Ebay is a place that pretty much is BUYER BEWARE, where you really HAVE to read into the auctions before EVER thinking of bidding.

so you thought you were buying a new N64 game and you got a used SNES game that isn't what was advertise. Sounds like this seller is running a scam. You should post his username so we can avoid him like the plague. I wish you luck on filing your complaint and getting your money back. I hope it all works out.

[quote name='MadFlava']so you thought you were buying a new N64 game and you got a used SNES game that isn't what was advertise. Sounds like this seller is running a scam. You should post his username so we can avoid him like the plague. I wish you luck on filing your complaint and getting your money back. I hope it all works out.[/quote]

It was actually 2 different transactions.

I should note that the seller who shipped in the brown paper bag did put a thin layer of bubble wrap and the game did arrive in ok condition so it makes it hard to complain (although I did write him letting him know his packaging was not appropriate for the item). I am suprised the label didn't come off as it was barely taped on. I guess I view it as a lack of respect and not a very good approach to doing business.

The guy who sold me the SNES game has 350+ with about 99% feedback.

Ebay is a buyer beware marketplace unfortunately and it really helps to know your stuff. Years ago I accidentally bought a "fake" new SNES. I had suspicisions at the time but confirmed it too late to file complaints and such.

[quote name='kell']It was actually 2 different transactions.

I should note that the seller who shipped in the brown paper bag did put a thin layer of bubble wrap and the game did arrive in ok condition so it makes it hard to complain (although I did write him letting him know his packaging was not appropriate for the item). I am suprised the label didn't come off as it was barely taped on. I guess I view it as a lack of respect and not a very good approach to doing business.

The guy who sold me the SNES game has 350+ with about 99% feedback.

Ebay is a buyer beware marketplace unfortunately and it really helps to know your stuff. Years ago I accidentally bought a "fake" new SNES. I had suspicisions at the time but confirmed it too late to file complaints and such.[/quote]

if he put bubblewrap around the game then there really isnt much to complain about. it came in the condition that was promised to you right.

id def be a little ticked about the snes game though. the seller should def give u a partial refund.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']That paper bag is ridiculus. Do you leave negitive feedback for them?[/QUOTE]

He already said the game wasn't damaged.. so you think he should leave negative feedback for the appearance of the packaging? Seriously?

[quote name='Cornfedwb']He already said the game wasn't damaged.. so you think he should leave negative feedback for the appearance of the packaging? Seriously?[/quote]

Alright!!!! I love having words put into my mouth :D

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']That paper bag is ridiculus. Do you leave negitive feedback for them?[/quote]

No I didn't. Since the game wasn't damaged it was hard to complain. But the game was not cheap so I expected at least a box. Plus the packaging increased the likelyhood that there could have been damage or the package getting lost. To me it was just a cheap, lazy job and I felt like I paid for better.

I am a seller on Ebay. Your misfortune my friend is a prime example of why I always put a gallery picture of the exact item that will be shipped in all of my auctions. I sell more than I buy on Ebay and I hate to see this happen to good buyers such as yourself. Do not worry, because this will come back to bite him in the ass. Rest assured. That was just horrible. But do not lose faith, because there are still some honest merchants on Ebay such as myself. I hope you get what is coming to you and likewise for Dumbass!

Can you link to the snes auction? I've seen those "new in shrinkwrap" type auctions but they always state that the auction is CARTRIDGE ONLY. Not all ebay is bad i buy/sell on ebay and rarely ever have a problem. Except when buying lots the games are almost always dirty and smelly. I clean all my games i get anyways but come on, they should have the decency to clean their shit before selling.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']He already said the game wasn't damaged.. so you think he should leave negative feedback for the appearance of the packaging? Seriously?[/QUOTE]
At least a neutral feedback!

[quote name='kell']No I didn't. Since the game wasn't damaged it was hard to complain. But the game was not cheap so I expected at least a box. Plus the packaging increased the likelyhood that there could have been damage or the package getting lost. To me it was just a cheap, lazy job and I felt like I paid for better.[/quote]

What about the SNES game? $10 isn't awful for Spider-Man & X-Men, but it does seem like a cheap trick to get bidders, listing it as new.

[quote name='ricoraney']I am a seller on Ebay. Your misfortune my friend is a prime example of why I always put a gallery picture of the exact item that will be shipped in all of my auctions. I sell more than I buy on Ebay and I hate to see this happen to good buyers such as yourself. Do not worry, because this will come back to bite him in the ass. Rest assured. That was just horrible. But do not lose faith, because there are still some honest merchants on Ebay such as myself. I hope you get what is coming to you and likewise for Dumbass![/quote]

I actually sell more than I buy now as well. I always put a picture of the item and rarely buy one that doesn't have one.

I admit it, I took a chance with the SNES game. I bid the minimum $3 and he charged $5.99 for shipping.

Ebay isn't perfect, but it serves many well.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']What about the SNES game? $10 isn't awful for Spider-Man & X-Men, but it does seem like a cheap trick to get bidders, listing it as new.[/quote]

Yeah, I was more pissed about his tactics. To me it was clear that he was knowingly misleading bidders.

I see the pics now, Imageshack is blocked at my work. You got ripped off.

I almost never bid on anything on ebay that uses stock photos, or no photo.

And when I sell, I always take pics of the actual item.

[quote name='Puffa469']I see the pics now, Imageshack is blocked at my work. You got ripped off.

I almost never bid on anything on ebay that uses stock photos, or no photo.

And when I sell, I always take pics of the actual item.[/quote]

Slacker, surfing CAG at work :whistle2:$ ;)

[quote name='arfin']That's total bullshit. Not sure if it is even worth the dispute though as you will have to ship the POS back.[/quote]

It only cost me $1.99 to send it back today. The claim is more out of principle than money.

[quote name='fatbeer']Is this the auction you bid on?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spider-Man-X-Me...ryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/QUOTE]

Ok, eBay needs to make it clear that sellers are not allowed to mark their items as new unless they're new as in new from the factory. It seems like more and more idiots call used shit new- even going so far as to say 'opened but never played'. Yeah, right.

I'd file a complaint with PayPal if that happened to me. The moron called it new but it's obviously not new. What's his excuse? Someone opened the game, wrote something on the back, and sealed it- hence it's new?

fuck that dude.

Ebay should start refunding plus shipping for clearly wrong information. And to make it better they should use the sellers shipping price as the extra amount the ripped off buyer should be refunded.

I try to use ebay as little as possible, and if so only for cheap things where if I'm out a few dollars it will not really matter

Thats the same way almost any other printer I've seen is shipped. They should be packed in foam in their retail box.

[quote name='Apossum']it has nothing to do with your honesty, you're not the one selling ;) reading in to the auctions and checking the seller's feedback can help you avoid this stuff. except the brown paper bag...wtf was that? :lol: return that immediately if your game isn't perfect. I ordered a printer once and the person just slapped a label on the box and shipped it as it was...pretty lame.[/quote]

[quote name='kell']No I didn't. Since the game wasn't damaged it was hard to complain. But the game was not cheap so I expected at least a box. Plus the packaging increased the likelyhood that there could have been damage or the package getting lost. To me it was just a cheap, lazy job and I felt like I paid for better.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar thing happen with a complete Shadowrun SNES I bought. It was in a lightly padded envelope. When there's a cardboard box in there, why not use an actual box to ship it in? Hell, mine was sent Priority; they GIVE Priority boxes away! Luckily, it was undamaged and I got a hell of a deal ($15 shipped). I messaged the seller with a little advice for future shipments.

I feel bad, but I laughed at both your pictures. Some kid's name on the back of a "new" SNES game is hilarious in a way. But at the same time, I totally sympathize with you on their BS.

When in doubt, I always ask the seller a question. You won't always get a straight answer, but it sometimes comes in handy and that's good enough for me.

I've left 1 negative and 2 neutral feedbacks out of 192. The negative was someone who won my Lunar 2 Sega CD auction in late '98 and didn't pay/respond for a month. One neutral was for a DVD that turned out bootleg, and the other was for a basketball card where after 2 1/2 weeks, he still hadn't shipped and gave a lame excuse. Not a bad track record; I'd say I'd feedback retail stores a lot worse, percentage-wise. I dig eBay.

[quote name='kell']It only cost me $1.99 to send it back today. The claim is more out of principle than money.[/quote]

That's good to hear, this guy definitely deserves a neg feedback. I'd be pissed if i were expecting a sealed snes game and got a sealed cartridge instead ... scumbag. Hopefully paypal doesn't sit on this whole thing for too long.

How would you guys recommend sending out SNES games? (cartridge only) Are bubble envelopes fine? That's what i've been using for a while and never had a complaint. I live in Canada though so take that into consideration (shipping costs me $6.20 for postage alone, i charge buyers $6.50) I clean and test all my games before sending and describe them in every detail.

[quote name='kell']

The first is when I see auctions end for more than active BINs of the exact same item. I see it all the time.....[/quote]
As a seller, this is exactly why I like ebay....some people are idiots.

[quote name='kell']
Usually I only bid on items at the last minute because of idiots like this who artificially inflate the price due to their eagerness to win. Unfortunately this ended at 5am my time. But this illustrates how people will enter their bid and realize that they aren't the highest bidder and will bid more immediately. A reasonable person will determine how much they are willing to pay and bid that amount. Others will get emotionally involved and continue to bid until they "win".

[/quote]
As a buyer, here is a little advice (not necessarily directed at you, advice in general and doesn't pertain to that ultra-rare item that you have to have at any cost).

Set your final bid price before making a bid. Now that you have the max bid in mind, use esnipe.com (or other sniping program) and set it to execute your max bid a second or two before the auction ends. Do this, than walk away and come back after the auction to see if you won or not. If your bid is reasonable there is a good chance you will get it for under your max bid, if not there will be more just like it to bid on.

Too many times people get sucked up in this bidding "war" and end up going well above what they had intended.

[quote name='RonnieWrecked']FYI, it'll most likely take 30 days for Paypal to review your claim.

long story short, i won a "mint" PSP on ebay and when i got it, it was filthy / several buttons didn't work / and it had over 100 dead pixels. made a claim with paypal - took well over a month - got notification from paypal to ship it back - lost 11 bucks from this ordeal cause some dumb ass doesn't know how to list items on ebay properly. and this was in june, i could just imagine how long it would take to make a claim around xmas.[/quote]

Ouch. A $10 game is one thing, but a PSP...that sucks.

[quote name='h2dk']As a seller, this is exactly why I like ebay....some people are idiots.[/quote]

As a seller who only does BINs it drives me nuts trying to understand what these idiots are doing. :D

[quote name='h2dk']As a buyer, here is a little advice (not necessarily directed at you, advice in general and doesn't pertain to that ultra-rare item that you have to have at any cost).

Set your final bid price before making a bid. Now that you have the max bid in mind, use esnipe.com (or other sniping program) and set it to execute your max bid a second or two before the auction ends. Do this, than walk away and come back after the auction to see if you won or not. If your bid is reasonable there is a good chance you will get it for under your max bid, if not there will be more just like it to bid on.

Too many times people get sucked up in this bidding "war" and end up going well above what they had intended.[/quote]

That is good advice and I agree with it, although I have never used a sniping program. I track items for days and research what that item usually sells for and come up with my max bid. Then I bid at the last minute and close the laptop or switch windows before I know whether I am the high bidder or not. That way I entered my max and will "win" or "lose" based on it and don't get sucked in. I think if you are doing it right, trying to get a good deal, you should probably lose more auctions than you win.

[quote name='arfin']How would you guys recommend sending out SNES games? (cartridge only) Are bubble envelopes fine? That's what i've been using for a while and never had a complaint. I live in Canada though so take that into consideration (shipping costs me $6.20 for postage alone, i charge buyers $6.50) I clean and test all my games before sending and describe them in every detail.[/quote]

I think bubble envelopes are ok for cart only games. I ship anything with a box in a box.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I feel bad, but I laughed at both your pictures. Some kid's name on the back of a "new" SNES game is hilarious in a way. But at the same time, I totally sympathize with you on their BS.[/quote]

Jerk. ;) Laugh away :lol: that's why I posted them!! I figure this is one of the few places where people would understand my frustration or laugh with me at the absurdity of it. I have never left negative but will in this case as it is clear to me what his intentions were.

[quote name='Apossum'] I ordered a printer once and the person just slapped a label on the box and shipped it as it was...pretty lame.[/quote]

If you order a printer from BB, CC, OD, Staples, or pretty much any other major retailer they come in this same fashion. I have ordered from all the retailers mentioned, so I am not just making up random crap.

Ebay is really really great for me as a buyer but as a seller it can be hectic.

1. People might charge high shipping but that is only because they are trying to save money on listing price. As a buyer you should relate to the seller and think about how much the game is really worth and how much you are willing to spend on the item including shipping.

2. About the packaging I have gotten many packages where I go WTF after seeing my game box being rained out or cased being cracked. This is all the carriers fault of action and not the sellers fault. However

3. Ebay is just a service and is not a god like figure icon to be looked upon. I get tons of people saying to me " You charge to much shipping the all mighty ebay will not approve" or something like that over time.

4. Ebay is full of suckers and this is why people sell on ebay more often then other Auction sites if any. However some of these suckers tries constantly to abuse the seller who is trying to make a fair profit between buyer and seller.

It is like Youtube, Napstar, and Myspace where people think it is okay to "dumb down the internet" for people that want to be like the proffessonal web maintaner but has no knowledge of doing so.

This is why people go to Ebay with big prices knowing people who will not consider the true value of items after buying them. I have brought tons of items from ebay feeling stupid later and I will admit I will do it again ten times fast.

5. The idea of raising item prices for no particular reason via other buyer is a great thing and allows people to get more then they really want for the item and dodge ebay fees. The problem is that you need somebody you can trust and that you know. You also might need another account that you can use without the same name or have multiple names on one account or even mulitple people.

6. In the world of business you need to use tatics of various sorts and alleways remember that ever cent count even a penny. Like my previous bosses paid me in weed, allowed people to live for free on the property, and even paid us in food and auto parts.

Not one business on this planet will take off without using some sorta money saving tatic. Money, value, and bartering is like the life juice of business.

[quote name='Loyaltist Shinra']2. About the packaging I have gotten many packages where I go WTF after seeing my game box being rained out or cased being cracked. This is all the carriers fault of action and not the sellers fault.[/quote]

It depends on what you ship and how you package it. If you send a boxed GBA game or a game in a standard CD case in a bubble envelope, and it arrives crushed or smashed, that's your fault. I've received a lot of GBA/DC/PS1 games that were shipped this way, and they almost always arrive damaged. Bubble envelopes aren't adequate protection for CD cases or boxes, period.

[quote name='Loyaltist Shinra'] 3. Ebay is just a service and is not a god like figure icon to be looked upon. I get tons of people saying to me " You charge to much shipping the all mighty ebay will not approve" or something like that over time.[/quote]

Ebay has a policy against excessive shipping fees, and the do go after sellers who charge them. I don't know what you charge, of course, so yours might not really be excessive. Some buyers are kind of touchy about shipping fees.

bread's done
Back