Why is Circuit City getting so few stock of new DVD's?

Roufuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
This is a problem I've been noticing recently... maybe it's just my area? On new release DVD's, Circuit City is barely getting in any, and they ALWAYS sell out by the next day. I just got back from buying the new Harry Potter movie, and Circuit City only had one displayer, and I grabbed one of the last remaining copies.

Best Buy across the street was selling them at a steady number, but had at least 3 times the amount Circuit City had. For the last few weeks, my process has been like this - go to Circuit City, find out they are sold out, grab the ad and PM at Best Buy where they have 20 thousand movies left.

Oh, and let's not forget that CC barely gets in the "Free bonus" advertised... the girl told me they only got in about 5 or 6 for Harry Potter and those were gone by 10:15 am. I don't expect them to get in 1000 or anything like that, but only 5 lithographs for a really popular movie, that was advertised on the front page of the ad?

[quote name='Demolition Man']You didn't miss anything on those either. Unless you like a crappy piece of paper with the SAW II logo on it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know, just the principal of the thing.

I ended up going to Best Buy later on where they had stacks and stacks of the free comics.

I hope you don't think this is personal attacks against you, this is just bitching about CC in general. I'm sure that your CC, and the other employees on here, do a hell of a job keeping things looking good. It's just the other 90% of stores that make it all look bad. I mean, I worked at K-Mart, did a damn good job running my dept., but every other K-Mart completely sucked... its like the odds are against you.

And one person running CC's media is crazy.

[quote name='Roufuss']I hope you don't think this is personal attacks against you, this is just bitching about CC in general. I'm sure that your CC, and the other employees on here, do a hell of a job keeping things looking good. It's just the other 90% of stores that make it all look bad. I mean, I worked at K-Mart, did a damn good job running my dept., but every other K-Mart completely sucked... its like the odds are against you.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it Roufuss. The two K-Marts in my area both just suck... then again my ex-fiance works at one of them so that might explain something. :rofl:

And I know that none of this is against me but however I do want to set the record straight as far as how I see things along with clearing up some misconceptions that some people think.

[quote name='Demolition Man']
And I know that none of this is against me but however I do want to set the record straight as far as how I see things along with clearing up some misconceptions that some people think.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I understand. I mean, I buy alot of games, I take part in alot of clearance sales, but I actually completely skipped the Circuit City clearance for months because I knew I'd never find anything in the racks to make it worthwhile.

I actually stumbled upon my Shadow Hearts Covenant by accident looking for something else to price match, and since then decided to dig through every rack of games at other CC's to find stuff.

It takes about 15 - 20 minutes to go through all the games =/

I just wish they'd get rid of that shelving.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Okay, in all honesty, what in the hell could the cashier do about that? Maybe say their sorry, though would an empty, pseudo-sympathetic apology keep you from complaining? But really what do you expect them to do, fly to the movie studio and ask for more lithographs? It's "while supplies last" so they certainly can't order one and there's nothing they can really do for you.

Edit: This goes for all retail stores as well, I've worked in retail for years and in some situations there's nothing you can do (especially if you are just a simple cashier) for a customer other than to say you're sorry about that and then move right along.[/quote]

I have spent plenty of time working retail, so I know how crappy people can be, but I also know you should treat a customer halfway decent - especially when they are a nice, friendly customer, as I am. I don't care if there is nothing you can do about it. The lithograph was offered as a means to get people to purchase the DVD at their store... they're out of it... it might stand to reason that your employees should at least show some friggin common courtesy if they'd like to keep customers coming back.

I really HATE when people use the retail is shitty work, so I can treat people crappy excuse... It's crappy work, but it doesn't give the people doing it an excuse to be little shits...

I would have said I was sorry, and I would have meant it... maybe I'm just a nicer person than most.

Ash

[quote name='Demolition Man']You didn't miss anything on those either. Unless you like a crappy piece of paper with the SAW II logo on it.[/QUOTE]
Lies! Its a crappy piece of plastic with the Saw 2 logo!
89ca7a91.jpg

Yea at our store, the reason they were gone so fast is cause out of the 20 or so we had, half of them were taken by employees.

The circuit city by my has a very small DVD/music/game section. They never have the new releases in stock untill about a week later. The Best Buy that I go to a lot, 90% will have the game/dvd, but I guess people in my area figured out about the free promo shit, as it has been sold out when I go in tues around 6pm. While the bby used to be very organized ship, lately the one in my area has been horrible. A lot worse then the circuit city. Don't know what happened, but nothing is organized, and while I rarely ask for help, the employee will show a bunch in stock, go to the ie drama section, and none will be there. They will be in the anime, or comedy section.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Lies! Its a crappy piece of plastic with the Saw 2 logo!
89ca7a91.jpg

Yea at our store, the reason they were gone so fast is cause out of the 20 or so we had, half of them were taken by employees.[/QUOTE]

Strange.... it felt like paper to me. Then again I held it in my hands for 3 seconds so what do I know right? ;)

[quote name='PleasantOne']I have spent plenty of time working retail, so I know how crappy people can be, but I also know you should treat a customer halfway decent - especially when they are a nice, friendly customer, as I am. I don't care if there is nothing you can do about it. The lithograph was offered as a means to get people to purchase the DVD at their store... they're out of it... it might stand to reason that your employees should at least show some friggin common courtesy if they'd like to keep customers coming back.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you PleasantOne. If someone asks me kindly about the free item (whatever it may be) and if we are out I tell them I am sorry sincerly. I do hate it when someone screams me down over something so pittyful as some of these items are.

I actually had a guy once cuss me down over us being out of the Wonka Chocolate Bars for Charlie & The Chocolate Factory yet we had plenty of those chocolate donuts. He claimed that "nobody sold them anymore" yet amazingly I told him that Super America does. He said back "oh well that's too much work to get one." #-o (yet there's a damn SA every few miles here in Minnesota which I bet he goes to one at least once a week... so how is THAT too much work)

Anyways I'll have to post a few more customer stores over in that thread but I decided to give this one to this thread since it seemed appropriate.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Because CC cant sell nearly the amount of them that Best Buy can. CC doesn't want to order too many and have them just sittin on the shelves.[/QUOTE]

"American Pie Presents Band Camp" says hello... my store still has about 80 copies of that dud (we started out with 100 or so).

[quote name='Rayray']It may very well be a Florida thing, Roufuss. Here in South Florida (Plantation by Sawgrass Mills Mall) my CC barely gets any copies of the advertised new releases. I call it bait and switch.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked in order for it to be bait and switch... there has to be a switch there. And I don't see a switch happening when the store is plain out of the product.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Tell me about it Roufuss. The two K-Marts in my area both just suck... then again my ex-fiance works at one of them so that might explain something. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed that NOBODY actually made a smartass comment... :booty:

[quote name='Demolition Man']Last time I checked in order for it to be bait and switch... there has to be a switch there. And I don't see a switch happening when the store is plain out of the product.[/quote]

Maybe it's just really poor planning with regard to inventory, but my closest Circuit City (horrible, disorganized, never has anything) always seems to have product before and after a sale, but never during.

When Lego Star Wars went on sale for 19.99 way back when it normally cost $40, I know there were copies before the sale. And there were copies afterwards. But during? Nope. Nowhere to be found. And no idea when there would be more.

The exact same thing happened when Jak III and Ratchet & Clank: UYA went on sale for 2 for $30. They had just gone Greatest Hits. There should have been oodles of them, but there were none. Yesterday, on a fruitless search for clearance items, there were more copies of these titles than I could count.

Now maybe they just happened to sell out of these titles during the sales. They were high-demand items at good prices. It's certainly possible. And maybe because they sold out, they decided to order tons more and restock.

But wouldn't it have made sense to have a sufficient amount of these during the sale? I'm not sure which is worse: bait and switch, or complete incompetence with regards to the inventory. In the end, it doesn't matter much. Either way, you end up with empty-handed and annoyed customers.

There's another Circuit City that's a little farther from me, and it's the total opposite of the one close to me. It's organized and they actually have new releases and items that are on sale. The two stores could not be more different. It's a model store. I wish more were like it.

This game clearance sale is great - my local CC's are so disorganized, so cluttered, with the wrong price tags, that even 2 months AFTER these sales began I managed to get every game I wanted minus 1. These things probably would have sold alot faster if they were marked $3.96 instead of $39.99 :lol:

Circuit City seems to be tanking and their business model seems to be all over the map.

Are they in the media business? Game business? Cell business? AV business?

They seem to do so much of everything but are good at nothing. At least BB seems to be consistent, they make money on two things media (Games, CD's, DVD's.) and extended warranties. CC never seems to have the best of anything but something of everything.

I think I'm babeling endlessly.

[quote name='Roufuss']This is a problem I've been noticing recently... maybe it's just my area? On new release DVD's, Circuit City is barely getting in any, and they ALWAYS sell out by the next day. I just got back from buying the new Harry Potter movie, and Circuit City only had one displayer, and I grabbed one of the last remaining copies.

Best Buy across the street was selling them at a steady number, but had at least 3 times the amount Circuit City had. For the last few weeks, my process has been like this - go to Circuit City, find out they are sold out, grab the ad and PM at Best Buy where they have 20 thousand movies left.

Oh, and let's not forget that CC barely gets in the "Free bonus" advertised... the girl told me they only got in about 5 or 6 for Harry Potter and those were gone by 10:15 am. I don't expect them to get in 1000 or anything like that, but only 5 lithographs for a really popular movie, that was advertised on the front page of the ad?[/QUOTE]

actually this is a result of circuit city bait and switch. It always happens. It's not so much to offer somethign cheap but to make best buy HAVE to match the low price.

[quote name='Three Dollar Hooker']Circuit City seems to be tanking and their business model seems to be all over the map.

Are they in the media business? Game business? Cell business? AV business?

They seem to do so much of everything but are good at nothing. At least BB seems to be consistent, they make money on two things media (Games, CD's, DVD's.) and extended warranties. CC never seems to have the best of anything but something of everything.

I think I'm babeling endlessly.[/QUOTE]

Actually best buy makes most of their money on big ticket items and services (I'm doing an accounting report on them so I guess I'd know). The price margin on games and cds is actually very very low. They price cds low and try to sell bigger ticket items: like tvs laptops, etc.

[quote name='dragonfireflys']actually this is a result of circuit city bait and switch. It always happens. It's not so much to offer somethign cheap but to make best buy HAVE to match the low price.[/QUOTE]

Again, that's not bait and switch, in fact it's not even close. Also if a competing store is out of a particular product the price match is technially supposed to be void, so you are actually off on both accounts, Not to mention that the price match difference on new release dvds is equilvilent to about $0.10-$.20 because the base price difference is usually no more than a dollar or two. Hope that tidbit wasn't included in your accounting report.

[quote name='PleasantOne']I have spent plenty of time working retail, so I know how crappy people can be, but I also know you should treat a customer halfway decent - especially when they are a nice, friendly customer, as I am. I don't care if there is nothing you can do about it. The lithograph was offered as a means to get people to purchase the DVD at their store... they're out of it... it might stand to reason that your employees should at least show some friggin common courtesy if they'd like to keep customers coming back.

I really HATE when people use the retail is shitty work, so I can treat people crappy excuse... It's crappy work, but it doesn't give the people doing it an excuse to be little shits...

I would have said I was sorry, and I would have meant it... maybe I'm just a nicer person than most.

Ash[/QUOTE]

As the old saying goes, you can only say you're sorry so many times and mean it. I always say "I'm sorry about that" or offer some kind of solution or something along those lines and not in any sort of mean manner at all, but do I really mean it like it's breaking my heart? No not really because I say it about 10-20 times a day. Bottomline is 99% customers don't care about the cashier saying sorry and don't even want to hear it. My guess most people could've cared less if the cashier said they were sorry and would still complain about them not having a product. They have the reaction that saying sorry doesn't place the product in their hand.

[quote name='blandstalker']But wouldn't it have made sense to have a sufficient amount of these during the sale? I'm not sure which is worse: bait and switch, or complete incompetence with regards to the inventory. In the end, it doesn't matter much. Either way, you end up with empty-handed and annoyed customers.[/QUOTE]

And even more annoyed employees (like myself) who get asked time and time and time and yes.. time again if Product X which our distribution didn't send enough of to cover the basis of the sale in. Yet we'll have 10 trillion copies of "American Pie Presents Band Camp" that NOBODY in their right mind would want even if they were given away for free.

This company really needs to get its act together if they want to be competitive in the market. Yeah CC can brag all they want about winning the Video Business 2005 Retailer Of The Year they want but when a company pisses off customers (and employees) it doesn't do much good now does it.

Don't get me wrong I love CC for the most part (both as an employee and customer) but there are things they need to fix and fast. This is one of them along with a register system that isn't using early 1980s technology. Yeah this system would be great for a small business but not for a multi billion dollar corporation that is in the business of selling the latest and greatest in technology.

[quote name='Demolition Man']
Don't get me wrong I love CC for the most part (both as an employee and customer) but there are things they need to fix and fast. This is one of them along with a register system that isn't using early 1980s technology. Yeah this system would be great for a small business but not for a multi billion dollar corporation that is in the business of selling the latest and greatest in technology.[/QUOTE]

The CC's here have a pretty modern register system..?

[quote name='Roufuss']The CC's here have a pretty modern register system..?[/QUOTE]

I'd hate to see what you would think of the ghetto registers we got up here.

[quote name='Demolition Man']This is one of them along with a register system that isn't using early 1980s technology. Yeah this system would be great for a small business but not for a multi billion dollar corporation that is in the business of selling the latest and greatest in technology.[/quote]

You know it's bad when customers are making fun of the systems (and they do). DPS rules!:roll:

[quote name='neocisco']You know it's bad when customers are making fun of the systems (and they do).[/quote]

And the 10 mile long reciept too....

(And please for god sakes people on CAG just don't bring that up... we've all heard the same jokes about the reciepts more than enough times.)

DPS rules!:roll:

Yeah it rules about just as much as a hernia does....

[quote name='Demolition Man']And the 10 mile long reciept too....

(And please for god sakes people on CAG just don't bring that up... we've all heard the same jokes about the reciepts more than enough times.)[/quote]

The funny thing is BB's receipts are just as long (if not longer) plus you get a second receipt for their survey.

had no problem picking up history of violence and good night good luck this wend at my local CC. It was actually a lot more organized then it was a month ago.

[quote name='neocisco']The funny thing is BB's receipts are just as long (if not longer) plus you get a second receipt for their survey.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't stop em from saying that infamous "YOU.. GUYS... HAVE.... THE..... LONGEST.... RECEIPTS...................... EVER" line. :roll:

[quote name='Demolition Man']That doesn't stop em from saying that infamous "YOU.. GUYS... HAVE.... THE..... LONGEST.... RECEIPTS...................... EVER" line. :roll:[/quote]
Yet they never have the receipt when they come in to do a return. We could go on and on and on...

bread's done
Back