Why is ebay's calculated shipping so HIGH?

I was looking at an auction yesterday which stated, "Shipping amount will equal the amount calculated by Ebay, via priority mail." So I click Ebay's little button & it came up with:

$7.50!!!!!

How on earth did Ebay's calculator arrive at that??? Priority mail is only $3.50. Even if you include seller & paypal fees, it would still only be ~$5.00. Where the heck did the $7.50 come from?!?!?

troy

Yes, when you set up the calculator, you tell it 4 things:

1) How much it weighs
2) Where you are shipping from
3) What method(s) to use
4) How much you want to tack on in addition to the real cost

Yep.

eBay's calculator has never been wrong on my auctions for USPS stuff. I haven't used it for UPS stuff.

Also Priority mail is $3.85 minimum plus DC if they don't print their labels. And it's more if the item weighs more than a pound.

I'd think most sellers make their handling an even dollar amount, so getting $7.50 exactly means the seller put the weight in as more than a pound (you can tell eBay it weighs whatever you want) or the seller puts in odd amounts for handling.

[quote name='ddockery']Yes, when you set up the calculator, you tell it 4 things: (snip) (4) How much you want to tack on in addition to the real cost[/QUOTE]Ahhhh.....

So this seller must have tacked on +4.00 to the calculated shipping cost. I'm surprised Ebay allows sellers to do that?

The tiem I was reviewing was a ps1 game, so definitely not more than $3.85 priority mail.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']Ahhhh.....

So this seller must have tacked on +4.00 to the calculated shipping cost. I'm surprised Ebay allows sellers to do that?

troy[/QUOTE] Well what is the item? Depends on what it is. If it has to go priority due to weight, I can see 7.50. I charge 4.99 for priority, but often end up losing money because it costs me 5.50 with DC.

yeah, PS1 is only 3.85...but if he's buying special packaging (would be odd, USPS gives those out for free) or ...nope, he's just looking for more $$$$

Well, handling fees to cover the cost of packaging, gas to the post office, and whatever else it takes aren't totally unreasonable, although some people definitely overcharge.

Shipping prices on most Ebay auctions are horrid. It's mainly people trying not to get taxed on their final value. It costs me less than $2 to send any game and only 80 cents for GBA games. But on Ebay there's hardly any shipping below $5.

[quote name='dhrez']Shipping prices on most Ebay auctions are horrid. It's mainly people trying not to get taxed on their final value. It costs me less than $2 to send any game and only 80 cents for GBA games. But on Ebay there's hardly any shipping below $5.[/QUOTE]

Well, most of the sellers I come across always prefer to ship priority, and I really have no idea why. I know that that's a huge reason for inflated shipping costs. I only send priority when something needs to get there quickly.

[quote name='red flare graf']Well, most of the sellers I come across always prefer to ship priority, and I really have no idea why. I know that that's a huge reason for inflated shipping costs. I only send priority when something needs to get there quickly.[/QUOTE]

I had to send out a xenogears strategy guide priority mail because it was too heavy. I would have done first class If i was able to. You'd be surprised what can actually go first class/media mail.

[quote name='SkyGheNe']I had to send out a xenogears strategy guide priority mail because it was too heavy. I would have done first class If i was able to. You'd be surprised what can actually go first class/media mail.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't you send that media mail? I've never had someone complain about the time it takes for media mail out of the few times I've sent something that way. As long as you get it in the mail as soon as you can it will still be faster than the time it takes most Ebayers to send something priority.

i know a lot of people who include the "Ebay fees" and "paypal fees" as part of the "handling", which i guess makes sense, better than the seller eating the random fees...

I prefer first class for items like DVDs, PS2/GCN/Xbox games, and the Pokémon Trading Card Game stuff I'm selling (those things are LIGHT!). First class for a DVD/PS2/GCN/Xbox game is $1.29. I use Priority Flat Rate for anything heavy (which may or may not include this Spawn box set I am selling at the moment).

[quote name='electrictroy']Ahhhh.....

The tiem I was reviewing was a ps1 game, so definitely not more than $3.85 priority mail.

troy[/QUOTE]

there are a lot of sellers selling cheap PS1 games (like disc only versions) and chargeing like 10 bucks shipping.. be careful.. i've talked to sellers who wont even go through the USPS .. which is baffling.. i asked them to ship media mail and they wouldn't do it.. they want to make 10 bucks off of a disc only PS1 game.. so that could also be a factor. id tell the seller if you can pay roughly 4.00 for priority or at the very most 4.50 (if you want to include them physically going ot the Post office) but you also got to realize they have to buy packaging..

[quote name='red flare graf']Well, most of the sellers I come across always prefer to ship priority, and I really have no idea why. I know that that's a huge reason for inflated shipping costs. I only send priority when something needs to get there quickly.[/QUOTE]

Tracking, speed, free packaging for the shipper...those are the reasons i use at least

everytime i find something cheap on ebay, the seller kills the deal for me by charging me like $8 for a single game :]

[quote name='dhrez']Shipping prices on most Ebay auctions are horrid. It's mainly people trying not to get taxed on their final value.[/QUOTE]What's wrong with that? Many people are on Ebay, *because they want to make money*. They can't achieve that goal if their giving stuff away for free (or worse, going into debt).

Yeah I know what you're going to say, "Charge $2 for ship & Include the seller fees in the price." Sure, but who's going to pay $3.00 for BMX XXX? No one. I had to drop the price to $0.01 cent just to get rid of it..... which means I would have lost money.

I recently sat down and reviewed my Ebay Invoices. I calculated how much it costs a Seller to get rid of a game:

Price = $25
=========
Listing Fee = $0.50
Ebay Commission=$1.00
Paypal Commission=$1.00
Ship (Media Mail + Envelope + miscellaneous)
..... = about $2.50
=================
TOTAL = ~$5.00 seller expenses

Price = $50 = ~$7.00 seller expenses

Price = $75= ~$9.00 seller expenses

troy

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Tracking, speed, free packaging for the shipper...those are the reasons i use at least[/QUOTE]

So if i go to my usps post office and just take one of their boxes...as long as I ship priority it's free?

[quote name='SkyGheNe']So if i go to my usps post office and just take one of their boxes...as long as I ship priority it's free?[/QUOTE]

I'm cheap as hell. I use those boxes whether I ship priority or not. Just turn them inside out, they have no clue.

Now, those boxes stamped on the inside that says "For Priority Only." Also supposedly, if the post offices catches it even after it is in transit, they can charge the buyer postage due for a priority rate. Maybe some individual post office's aren't up to date but most are much more strict about it (I have never done it myself, I have just heard a lot of stories about that type of stuff)

[quote name='dhrez']Shipping prices on most Ebay auctions are horrid. It's mainly people trying not to get taxed on their final value.[/QUOTE]What's wrong with that? Many people are on Ebay, *because they want to make money*. They can't achieve that goal if their giving stuff away for free (or worse, going into debt).

Yeah I know what you're going to say, "Charge $2 for ship & Include the seller fees in the price." Sure, but who's going to pay $3.00 for BMX XXX? No one. I had to drop the price to $0.01 cent just to get rid of it..... which means I would have lost money.

I recently sat down and reviewed my Ebay Invoices. I calculated how much it costs a Seller to get rid of a game:

Price = $25
=========
Listing Fee = $0.50
Ebay Commission=$1.00
Paypal Commission=$1.00
Ship (Media Mail + Envelope + miscellaneous)
..... = about $2.50
=================
TOTAL = ~$5.00 seller expenses

Price = $50 = ~$7.00 seller expenses

Price = $75= ~$9.00 seller expenses

troy

[quote name='red flare graf']I'm cheap as hell. I use those boxes whether I ship priority or not. Just turn them inside out, they have no clue.[/QUOTE]

You do know that this is a crime, right? A FEDERAL crime? I'd be a little more careful, or smart, as the USPS is not that stupid ALL the time.

Yeah I wouldn't F around with using Priority boxes for shipping stuff other than priority. Just recycle boxes or buy some cheap bubble mailers.

Anyway, you can have the post office deliver those priority boxes to your door for free (min. of 25 per) or you can get them at your post office. Though mine never seems to have all of the sizes on hand. I don't think you can get the flat rate boxes delivered for some reason though. At least I can't find them on their (horrible) search. If you can, please link me!

[quote name='electrictroy']What's wrong with that? Many people are on Ebay, *because they want to make money*. They can't achieve that goal if their giving stuff away for free (or worse, going into debt).[/QUOTE]

My advice would then be to try to sell items that actually have a market. The reason no one will pay $3 (before shipping etc) for BMX XXX is because it's trash no one wants. And if they did want it, there's only 100 other auctions for it at any given time. If you are selling for profit (and most are, of course), you have to consider the market.

Only *2* today (Hitman & Sears).
My advice would then be to try to sell items that actually have a market.
True, but markets can be hard to predict. When I bought BMX XXX, I had no idea it was trash (it was still new then). That's why companies like Target or Gamespot always end up with excess stock, that has to be clearanced. It's hard to predict what will or will not succeed. I'm not a member of the Psychic Network. ;-)

Also my point is that I'd rather sell BMX XXX for $0.00 net profit than:

(a) Listing at $3.00 & it doesn't sell.
or (b) Selling at $0.01 & shipping at $2.00, but losing $3 in the transaction (fees).

Neither (a) or (b) is an acceptable solution for this Seller. I'm willing to give BMX XXX for 1 penny on Ebay, but I refuse to lose money in the process. If I only charged $2 ship, that's exactly what would happen.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']Only *2* today (Hitman & Sears).True, but markets can be hard to predict. When I bought BMX XXX, I had no idea it was trash (it was still new then). That's why companies like Target or Gamespot always end up with excess stock, that has to be clearanced. It's hard to predict what will or will not succeed. I'm not a member of the Psychic Network. ;-)

Also my point is that I'd rather sell BMX XXX for $0.00 net profit than:

or (b) Selling at $0.01 & shipping at $2.00, but losing $3 in the transaction (fees).

Neither (a) or (b) is an acceptable solution for this Seller. I'm willing to give BMX XXX for 1 penny on Ebay, but I refuse to lose money in the process. If I only charged $2 ship, that's exactly what would happen.

troy[/QUOTE]

That's why you don't bother selling trash on Ebay. Either hold on to it, take advantage of one of those "trade 3 in get extra 30%", or give it to your little brother. The amount of time it takes to format, list and ship an item isn't worth the piddly amount you're talking about making (or breaking even).

Unless you're powerleveling for Ebay Superhero +100 feedback.

[quote name='bmulligan']You do know that this is a crime, right? A FEDERAL crime? I'd be a little more careful, or smart, as the USPS is not that stupid ALL the time.[/QUOTE]

I also don't think it's a good idea to use those Priority Mail box like that. I read somewhere that Post Office has the right to open your package under certain circumstances. It'll be very unlucky if they happen to open your package for other reason only to find that you turned the Priority Mail box inside out.

You know, I've done the same thing with Fedex's boxes. Well, not exactly the same thing. I actually found a box full of flattened Fedex boxes, I guess someone just decided that they didn't need them. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

I am a big ebay seller, and here is how my shipping works..

I always and ONLY ship priority due to it beign faster and more reliable(a few items lost via media mail). I charge 5.01 total for shipping

It breaks down as this

$3.95 (Flate rate)
+35 cents for DC
=$4.30

The rest is a handling fee of like 71 cents(about 2 miles from post office) for gas.

I charge the odd 5.01 so anybody who uses buy now (19.99)(5.01 for shipping) instead of getting an odd number like 24.99 I get 25.00 even.

[quote name='dhrez']
That's why you don't bother selling trash on Ebay. Either hold on to it, take advantage of one of those "trade 3 in get extra 30%", or give it to your little brother.[/QUOTE]At Last, Someone With Useful Advice. Thanks! It does make more sense to trade-in BMX for ~$5 store credit, than to sell it on Ebay for 1 penny.

Unless you're powerleveling for Ebay Superhero +100 feedback.
Well, my Ebay feedback is almost 200 now, but I wouldn't call that "superhero". It's the people with >5000 feedback who are the power sellers!

troy

Ok,

I just skimmed, but I didn't see an obvious omission in this discussion.

I don't know which is more irritating to me - the fact that the Post Office has different rates depending on where you are shipping from/to, or the fact that people get all worked up about shipping prices.

Anywho, if you're shipping Priority, but glad if all you get charged is $3.85, because about a year or two ago the Post Office started using "Zones" to determine Priority rates. Ship that PS1 game to the wrong "Zone" and you're looking at more like $5 Priority...

[quote name='chosen1s']Ok,

I just skimmed, but I didn't see an obvious omission in this discussion.

I don't know which is more irritating to me - the fact that the Post Office has different rates depending on where you are shipping from/to, or the fact that people get all worked up about shipping prices.

Anywho, if you're shipping Priority, but glad if all you get charged is $3.85, because about a year or two ago the Post Office started using "Zones" to determine Priority rates. Ship that PS1 game to the wrong "Zone" and you're looking at more like $5 Priority...[/QUOTE]

1 pound or less is $3.85 nation wide (including Alaska, Hawaii) It's only over 1 pound where the zones come into play.

[quote name='red flare graf']You know, I've done the same thing with Fedex's boxes. Well, not exactly the same thing. I actually found a box full of flattened Fedex boxes, I guess someone just decided that they didn't need them. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?[/QUOTE]

That's still a semi-cruddy thing to do, but at least you aren't commiting a federal crime. And since they are boxes you did just find (and not ones you got from FedEx to use just for your FedEx shipments) you aren't even breaking an agreement with FedEx so there's probably really nothing anyone can do to you at all.

Maybe some crazed Post Office clerk could claim you should return them to FedEx, but I really don't think they'd care. I got a package delivered via UPS that was sealed up with USPS Priority branded packing tape and UPS didn't seem to care at all.

Zones make sense to me. If the post office ships from Pennsylvania to California, naturally they will burn more gas (and labor hours), than if they ship "next door" to Maryland. It makes sense to vary the customer's price, to fit the varying cost of ship.

I tried the "inside out" box deal ~3 years ago. The guy behind the counter knew instantly it was a priority box, and charged me priority price. I never tried that again.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']At Last, Someone With Useful Advice. Thanks! It does make more sense to trade-in BMX for ~$5 store credit, than to sell it on Ebay for 1 penny.

Well, my Ebay feedback is almost 200 now, but I wouldn't call that "superhero". It's the people with >5000 feedback who are the power sellers!

troy[/QUOTE]

Well my cloak of salesmanship gives me invulnerability to negative feedback.

bread's done
Back