Why is the PS3 so Damn Expensive?????

sparklecopy

CAGiversary!
Could someone please explain to me how a system that is 5 times more expensive than a ps2 is only twice or questionably 3 times as good? Is the real reason cause Sony is just too damn greedy?

[quote name='sparklecopy']Could someone please explain to me how a system that is 5 times more expensive than a ps2 is only twice or questionably 3 times as good? Is the real reason cause Sony is just too damn greedy?[/QUOTE]

Blu-Ray Player. Cause they refuse to realize no one even knows what one is right now but us.

[quote name='sparklecopy']Could someone please explain to me how a system that is 5 times more expensive than a ps2 is only twice or questionably 3 times as good? Is the real reason cause Sony is just too damn greedy?[/quote]

Yeah. That must be it. They're so greedy they lose money on every PS3 console sold. (Actually, Sony IS greedy. But they're a company. They're SUPPOSED to want money)

Yes, the pricetag is a bear. But if you'd paid any attention, you'd also know that the pieces that make up the system cost even more. Especially the Blu-Ray player.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Blu-Ray Player. Cause they refuse to realize no one even knows what one is right now but us.[/QUOTE]
please tell my why the bluray player is so expensive? how can in 1996 we go from 700mb CD to 8.4 gb DVD a jump of 1200% to 8.4 Gb DVD to 25GB BLURAY a jump of only a meager 300% in ten goddamn years!? and we have to pay a premium for that. I know sooner or later we will have 50GB dual layer BlUray but it's coming out in a trickle. Will developers even fill the capacity of a 25gb Single layer disc for a game since most games now are like 6gb-8gb. It's like they are making you pay for a cauldron when all the content fits in a glass. doesn't make sense.

Could someone please explain to me why we're reading yet ANOTHER thread about someone complaining about the price of the PS3 when all the other threads are only twice or questionably three times as good? Is the real reason because you don't know how to use the "Search" function?

Yes, it's expensive, but you don't HAVE to buy it! Lock please.

[quote name='sparklecopy']please tell my why the bluray player is so expensive? how can in 1996 we go from 700mb CD to 8.4 gb DVD a jump of 1200% to 8.4 Gb DVD to 25GB BLURAY a jump of only a meager 300% in ten goddamn years!? and we have to pay a premium for that. I know sooner or later we will have 50GB dual layer BlUray but it's coming out in a trickle. Will developers even fill the capacity of a 25gb Single layer disc for a game since most games now are like 6gb-8gb. It's like they are making you pay for a cauldron when all the content fits in a glass. doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]
dual layer blu ray can go up to 50GB. And games are going to need the space, seeing Blue Dragon on X360 takes up 3 DVD. You also have to remember DVD isnt cheap when it first came out.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Could someone please explain to me why we're reading yet ANOTHER thread about someone complaining about the price of the PS3 when all the other threads are only twice or questionably three times as good? Is the real reason because you don't know how to use the "Search" function?

Yes, it's expensive, but you don't HAVE to buy it! Lock please.[/QUOTE]
exactly, NO ONE IS BUYING ONE. LOL

i beg to differ, i know a couple of ppl that bought it (in the more richer areas of nassau county that is. us poor cityfolk need to pay rent)

[quote name='crazytalkx']Because according to The Onion it speeds the pace of evolution if touched[/quote]

Nice.

$500 was a really cheap BD player that is better in quality than every other BD player on the market.

Lock please.

Um, the PS2 started at $300 too. $200 isn't that huge a jump for a new video format, built-in internet, HDMI, and a hard drive (all upgrades from the original PS2).

And yes, lock please.

Sony Encounters New Blu-ray Glitches
The Sony Blu-ray high-definition version of Lionsgate's horror flick The Descent plays fine on Sony's new PlayStation3 game device, but those who attempt to watch it on an ordinary Sony Blu-ray player will see only a blank screen, according to reports that have emerged over the past few days on several websites devoted to high-definition video formats. A similar problem was reported with Pioneer Blu-ray players. The Descent disc features numerous "extras" produced exclusively for the Blu-ray format, including a picture-in-picture video commentary. And therein lies the problem, according to the HD websites. Lionsgate used BD-Java technology for the extras, which is not compatible with the Sony BDP-S1 and Pioneer Elite Blu-ray players. Sony says it is aware of the problem and is working to provide an update to the operating system of its players by early this year. - how the hell do you pay 1000 dollars for a top of the line elite BLuray player and it doesn't play a bluray disc? smacks head.

[quote name='sparklecopy']exactly, NO ONE IS BUYING ONE. LOL[/QUOTE]

Agree, Sony will realize sooner or later.. The thing is just too expensive for the average consumer... *note* just got back from local retail store, 3 60GB PS3 instock... NO Wii! cry...

Could we just stop bashing system the ps3? If you don't want one, don't buy one. You don't need to get the $600 dollar verison, get the $500, and if you think the xbox is much cheaper, when you add in the wifi and hd-dvd drive that is $700.
Right now there is no reason to buy a ps3, just like at this time last year there was really no reason to buy a 360. Give it time and games will come and people will want to buy the system.

[quote name='sparklecopy']Sony Encounters New Blu-ray Glitches
The Sony Blu-ray high-definition version of Lionsgate's horror flick The Descent plays fine on Sony's new PlayStation3 game device, but those who attempt to watch it on an ordinary Sony Blu-ray player will see only a blank screen, according to reports that have emerged over the past few days on several websites devoted to high-definition video formats. A similar problem was reported with Pioneer Blu-ray players. The Descent disc features numerous "extras" produced exclusively for the Blu-ray format, including a picture-in-picture video commentary. And therein lies the problem, according to the HD websites. Lionsgate used BD-Java technology for the extras, which is not compatible with the Sony BDP-S1 and Pioneer Elite Blu-ray players. Sony says it is aware of the problem and is working to provide an update to the operating system of its players by early this year. - how the hell do you pay 1000 dollars for a top of the line elite BLuray player and it doesn't play a bluray disc? smacks head.[/QUOTE]

Early DVD players also had similar problems with discs that had advanced features. Most if not all of them could have their firmware updated, and I would certainly hope that the same is possible in this case. What does this have to do with the PS3, which plays the disc perfectly, by the way?

[quote name='icruise']Early DVD players also had similar problems with discs that had advanced features. Most if not all of them could have their firmware updated, and I would certainly hope that the same is possible in this case. What does this have to do with the PS3, which plays the disc perfectly, by the way?[/quote]

Exactly.

I had a really early DVD player that had big problems with movies with advanced menu features.
Too much animation and flash killed it.
So annoying.....

Anyway, PS3 has no such problems with BD discs.
It's a damn fine BD player. Well worth a measly $500.

The PS3 isn't too costly for what you get, but it is still too costly for many people to afford. People were making the same complaints about the X360 last year.

PS3 includes Blu-Ray drive, HD, and if you are getting the $600 version a built in wi-fi card. Now ask yourself how the 360 with what it includes can justify the price? $100 HD? $100 wireless adapter?

It's been shown repeatedly when you break down what the systems have the PS3 is the best deal for the price, IF you need everything it has to offer. The advantage of the 360 is you can buy em in piecemeal, if you don't mind paying ludicrious prices for non bundled components.

[quote name='Brian9824']It's been shown repeatedly when you break down what the systems have the PS3 is the best deal for the price, IF you need everything it has to offer. The advantage of the 360 is you can buy em in piecemeal, if you don't mind paying ludicrious prices for non bundled components.[/QUOTE]

Quite possibly the most succinct and well-written thing I've read about the PS3 over the past year. It gets to the point, makes valid comparisons, and points out the relative benefits of both the "all-in-one" approach of the PS3 and the "a la carte" approach of the 360.

Kudos.

Blu-Ray is the main cost....it is the cheapest player on the market (or at least it was).

I'm kicking myself for getting the 60GB version since I don't use WiFi, but it's ok....still like it.

[quote name='sparklecopy']Could someone please explain to me how a system that is 5 times more expensive than a ps2 is only twice or questionably 3 times as good? Is the real reason cause Sony is just too damn greedy?[/QUOTE]

1.The Ps2 was 299 making the ps3 less then 2x the price. (499)
2.The 360 is 399 making only 100dollar difference between the 2 and you have the ability to play blueray.for 100bucks is quite a good deal.
3.Sony just like MS or Nintendo or any other company in the world is all about making money. So yes all companies can be considered "greedy"

bread's done
Back