Why Isn't There a SPRING 2012 TELEVISION Thread?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Wow this is late. I'll see if I can add other new shows to the OP but I wanted to see if anyone else is watching Veep on HBO. I just watched the pilot last night and I was practically in tears because it was so funny.

JLD.jpg

Former Senator Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) has accepted the call to serve as Vice President of the United States. The job is nothing like she imagined and everything she was warned about. 'Veep' follows Meyer and her staff as they attempt to make their mark and leave a lasting legacy, without getting tripped up in the day-to-day political games that define Washington.

Meyer's inner circle includes: her chief of staff Amy (Anna Chlumsky), longtime press spokesperson Mike McClintock (Matt Walsh), right hand and body man Gary (Tony Hale) and secretary Sue (Sufe Bradshaw) all of whom often do battle with Dan Egan (Reid Scott) an ambitious interloper and smug White House liaison Jonah (Tim Simons).

Created by Armando Iannucci (The Thick of It, In the Loop), the comedy is scripted but shot in an improvisational style. 'Veep' is authentic without being specifically biographical about what it is like to hold the least effectual post in the most powerful office in the world.

Being a political junkie, I thought the show was funny in a ha-ha, but not HAHAHAH kinda way. I did find it really interesting with lots of potential, so I'll be tuning for the next episode.

The date in exchange for the card was hilarious especially when they had to forge the presidents signature

yeah i want to check that out too as well as that show with that guy from dumb and dumber in it. that one looks really interesting. but as for your question most of the more popular spring shows have their own posts so that could be why nobody did a full on thread for all spring shows.

Has anyone else been watching Awake? The premise sounded great, but it's been disappointing so far.

Here's what I'm watching right now, aside from the regular network shows that are getting into their finale season:

The Killing - Great second season so far, definitely on par with the first
Breakout Kings - Really solid show, Jimmi Simpson is fantastic in this
Southland - Just finished the latest season. I love this show and fuck NBC for not giving it more of a chance
Homeland - I'm finished with the first 10 episodes, and I'm loving every minute. Claire Danes=:drool: And Brody's wife is pretty hot too, though less since she got her hair cut short.

I can't wait for the second season of Wilfred to start up.

Veep is on my To Watch list. But I'm already full up...backlogged really...with everything else I try to watch.

The only other new Spring show I'm watching is Scandal. Because I can't say no to Kerry Washington.

I'll have to watch Episode 1 of Veep. I have been playing catch-up with House of Lies. And I'm trying to enjoy Game of Thrones, but finding it difficult to be interested when I've read all of the books. Other than that, my Spring 2012 schedule is The Ultimate Fighter Live and what ever many MMA events per week. Oh, and The Voice. ...Shut up.

Don't know if this counts, but I have a lot of Supernatural to watch. I have been hesitant to watch after the winter break. Sorta want to wait until the last episode so I can savor the ending. I should have done that with House. Having two of my all-time favorite TV series ending the same year is a bummer.

At least there's Breaking Ba— Ah, fuck.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Has anyone else been watching Awake? The premise sounded great, but it's been disappointing so far.

Here's what I'm watching right now, aside from the regular network shows that are getting into their finale season:

The Killing - Great second season so far, definitely on par with the first
Breakout Kings - Really solid show, Jimmi Simpson is fantastic in this
Southland - Just finished the latest season. I love this show and fuck NBC for not giving it more of a chance
Homeland - I'm finished with the first 10 episodes, and I'm loving every minute. Claire Danes=:drool: And Brody's wife is pretty hot too, though less since she got her hair cut short.

I can't wait for the second season of Wilfred to start up.[/QUOTE]
I caught the first couple episodes of Awake and I decided to stop watching because it jumped the shark from the conspiracy stuff going on. Save that shit for the season finale at least...hahaha.

Harry, Homeland is probably my pick for Best New TV Series in the Last Few Years. Just outstanding everything. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the finale.

[quote name='Chase']Harry, Homeland is probably my pick for Best New TV Series in the Last Few Years. Just outstanding everything. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the finale.[/QUOTE]

I just finished it. As a whole, it was spectacular. I thought the ending was a little weak, but the rest was great. That whole scene in the
bunker
was intense. Honestly, the whole episode was pretty intense.

I'm just not a fan of sick Carrie. It was great watching her make shit happen the rest of the season, and then we're stuck seeing her like that the last couple episodes. To be honest, I found it a bit draining. Don't get me wrong, though. Claire Danes acted the shit out of it and it was written really well, but it was kind of uncomfortable to watch.

I'm looking forward to the new season, though it will suck to have to wait a week between episodes after blowing through the first season in under a week.

I need to watch Homeland. I keep hearing how awesome it is. I'm totally backed up on Mad Men - all 6 episodes are hogging my DVR right now and I can't seem to start since the premiere is 2 hours.

I've also got The Wire on my summer watch list - HBOGO is sick.

Once the TV season ends and I only have a few spring/summer shows on the schedule, I think I'll try to get through Breaking Bad and Justified. I've never seen an episode of either one, but I hear good things.

I've also got The Wire in my backlog. Actually, I've got a TON of shows in my backlog. I've held onto the CSI-type shows for too long, and now that I've grown tired as it seems they've run out of fresh cases, I realize I missed out on a lot of good stuff.

Only things I'm watching are Mad Men and the last few episodes of Desperate Housewives. I don't get any pay channels so Game of Thrones etc. I have to wait for Bluray.

Also watching X-Files on Amazon streaming every now and then. Still early in Season 1.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Also watching X-Files on Amazon streaming every now and then. Still early in Season 1.[/QUOTE]

X-Files is one of those shows I wish I could go back and watch again for the first time. Enjoy it.

Yeah, I saw the last 5 or so seasons back in the day, didn't get Fox before moving for college so I missed the first few seasons.

[quote name='Javery']Wow this is late. I'll see if I can add other new shows to the OP but I wanted to see if anyone else is watching Veep on HBO. I just watched the pilot last night and I was practically in tears because it was so funny.[/QUOTE]
Veep is a comedy? huh.. maybe I'llgive it a whirl. the concept sounded boring to me but i DO love JLD.

[quote name='dohdough']Yesterday's episode of Veep was HILARIOUS.[/QUOTE]

You look like a gay Irish fireman, but I like you. :lol:

The fight as the guy brings in yohgurt and sprinkles was great.

Like most of you, I have The Wire in my backlog. Maybe I'll get around to it since House, Breaking Bad, and Supernatural won't be around.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I just finished it. As a whole, it was spectacular. I thought the ending was a little weak, but the rest was great. That whole scene in the
bunker
was intense. Honestly, the whole episode was pretty intense.

I'm just not a fan of sick Carrie. It was great watching her make shit happen the rest of the season, and then we're stuck seeing her like that the last couple episodes. To be honest, I found it a bit draining. Don't get me wrong, though. Claire Danes acted the shit out of it and it was written really well, but it was kind of uncomfortable to watch.

I'm looking forward to the new season, though it will suck to have to wait a week between episodes after blowing through the first season in under a week.[/QUOTE]

One thing I've learned from Homeland: Claire Danes has legit acting chops. Number two, she's also attractive in a "I bet she's wild in the sack" way.

Other than the "Weekend At Bernies" scene at the end of the latest episode of House, the
bunker scene has to be one of the most memorable scenes in recent television. I was on edge during that scene and the scene where Carrie figures out the connection and is about to get her brain fried

So some recent renewals...

- Community got renewed for 13 eps
- 30 Rock got renewed for 13 eps (final season though - boo!)
- FRINGE got renewed for 13 eps.
- Cougar Town got renewed for 15 eps plus an option on an additional season (by TBS) (I'm very happy about this)

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I kinda wish the big networks would adopt the shorter seasons like cable networks have.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've been saying this for ages. There should be 3 distinct TV seasons of 13 episodes per show plus 13 weeks of reruns or whatever for the summer. The shows will be better as a result of having less time to fill and being more focused in general.

[quote name='Javery']- Cougar Town got renewed for 15 eps plus an option on an additional season (by TBS) (I'm very happy about this)[/QUOTE]

Cougar Town is moving to TBS outright, which is fantastic. Bill Lawrence said that they bought the rights to old episodes as well, so it'll be going into syndication on TBS. TBS will definitely give it the attention it deserves. It'll thrive on TBS.

TBS TBS TBS.

Also, The Office's finale kind of sucked a lot. I don't mind B.J. Novak's directing - in fact, I enjoy it, but I don't usually like the episodes that he writes. Love the ones that Mindy Kaling writes, though.

[quote name='Javery']So some recent renewals...

- Community got renewed for 13 eps[/QUOTE]

Everybody keeps talking up Community, and I've watched the past 4 or 5 episodes after abandoning it the first time around.

What the shit. It's not funny. It's so caustic -- and yet somehow bland -- with its boring postmodern BS and pop culture references. I get the feeling the people who like this show enjoy it because it makes them feel really smart, and I'm sure the people who write it feel that way, too. It's almost as if the writers *hate* every single one of their characters.

I mean, where the hell are they going with these last episodes? But again, where are the funny parts? It's a mean-spirited show, I don't get it at all.

[quote name='Scorch']Cougar Town is moving to TBS outright, which is fantastic. Bill Lawrence said that they bought the rights to old episodes as well, so it'll be going into syndication on TBS. TBS will definitely give it the attention it deserves. It'll thrive on TBS.[/QUOTE]

I've only seen a few episodes of this but what I've saw had its moments. One of the episodes was when the brother of a main character (short, bald, fat one) came to visit, and the brother's wife (i.e. sister-in-law) was hitting on the main character. She was played by the chick from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It's a simple premise but they played it pro-style.

The short-fat-bald's wife on the show is the Drew Carey gal, who plays the EXACT character she did on the bits of Scrubs I've seen. (She's the sarcastic bitch with a heart of gold. It's a little tired.) But CT isn't like Community, they don't play it condescending and caustic. It's an "up" show.

The only thing I didn't like about CT in what I saw is that, like Scrubs, they play the alt/folk rock music to let you know when the very special "heart" moments are. It's grating.

[quote name='dothog']I've only seen a few episodes of this but what I've saw had its moments. One of the episodes was when the brother of a main character (short, bald, fat one) came to visit, and the brother's wife (i.e. sister-in-law) was hitting on the main character. She was played by the chick from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It's a simple premise but they played it pro-style.

The short-fat-bald's wife on the show is the Drew Carey gal, who plays the EXACT character she did on the bits of Scrubs I've seen. (She's the sarcastic bitch with a heart of gold. It's a little tired.) But CT isn't like Community, they don't play it condescending and caustic. It's an "up" show.

The only thing I didn't like about CT in what I saw is that, like Scrubs, they play the alt/folk rock music to let you know when the very special "heart" moments are. It's grating.[/QUOTE]

1. Ian Gomez (short/fat/bald) and Nia Vardolos (brother's wife) are married in real life, so there was funny chemistry there.

2. Christa Miller (sarcastic bitch) is married to Bill Lawrence, who created both Scrubs and Cougar Town.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']1. Ian Gomez (short/fat/bald) and Nia Vardolos (brother's wife) are married in real life, so there was funny chemistry there.

2. Christa Miller (sarcastic bitch) is married to Bill Lawrence, who created both Scrubs and Cougar Town.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the names.

Yes, the chemistry was good, it was funny. I will probably check out more of the show, it's just a matter of getting around to it.

So are you suggesting with #2 that they kept essentially the same character around to keep the wife in work? Or did I just suggest that? OOPS.

Cougar Town = Scrubs 2.0 + a slightly more adult Friends but think Scrubs and Friends when they were in their prime and not like the last couple of seasons where they were clearly running out of gas. It also suffers from an unfortunate name (which is made fun of every week) and the fact that it switched gears completely after about 5 episodes.

It is also perfectly cast - what's strange is that it also makes me realize how great Courtney Cox is - not that she is some awesome actress but that she is enjoyable to watch and is great at picking projects (Family Ties, Friends, Scrubs, Cougar Town, Scream, Ace Ventura, etc.).

Damn, Cougar Town is well liked. I think I will give it a go next chance I get.

I didn't like Scrubs because to me it was effectively Family Guy, where they pile on those quick cuts to someone's recollection of some detail, and you're supposed to laugh along because it was silly or some non sequitur bullshit. But in what I saw of CT, it wasn't like that, it was just a harmless hangout show.

The other CT episode I saw was a Halloween deal. I can't say much about it because I didn't know who was who. That is, I don't remember much other than Ian Gomez (that's the name) dressing up as Burt Reynolds, and pulling off a pretty good Burt Reynolds cackle. The Archer show runner should be alerted.

You'd appreciate Scrubs more if you started from the beginning. The show really builds the characters and if you watch an episode such as My Lunch without watching any of the four seasons prior, it doesn't have the same effect at all. Yes, it has silly moments, but the show can go from silly to dramatic in a split second. It's a great show, but only if you watch from the beginning.

Parks and Rec got a 13 order pickup starting in the Fall, so there's a good chance for the back nine.

The Office has received a full pickup for season nine, and Ed Helms, John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer have all signed on.

Why is the Office still on?

I like watching Cougar Town but the show I'm really loving is Workaholics. Very glad to hear it's coming back for another season.

Anyone watch Person of Interest? The show is pretty watchable aside from the boring-as-bread lead actor.

[quote name='davo1224']Anyone watch Person of Interest? The show is pretty watchable aside from the boring-as-bread lead actor.[/QUOTE]

I love that show. I can understand how people find him boring, but he's one motherfuckin' badass.

NBC already opted for the back nine with Parks and Rec, full 22 episode pickup for season five.

Whitney was renewed? Seriously?

Jokes are going on Twitter about NBC being so pick up happy that they're going to renew Chuck.. haha

..if only :(

"Awake" and "Bent" have both been cancelled.

Awake had so much promise but after I watched the first episode, I lost all interest.

I don't even know what Bent is.

I knew that Awake was gone after the first 2 episodes...there was no way to keep a plot like that going.

Apparently Awake has not only been canceled, but next week's episode(s) have been taken off of the schedule for next week. They've scraped the label off of mailbox label for Awake, according to an office PA for Sons of Anarchy.

Why the hell has Whitney been renewed? I rather have Outsourced return than Whitney.
Sad to hear that 30 Rock is over but better to see it end on it's own than be dragged to death like other shows.

I was actually really disappointed by the spring and even the fall seasons this year. There was a lot of series that must have sold their souls to the devil to get renewed because I can't believe people still watch them. And alot of new series that IMO sucked got picked up. Some were deservedly let go too, but there's a small handful of new series I'll miss (The Finder, The River maybe, even Prime suspect was starting to grow on me a bit). Such is the ways of network TV, but let me just say thank the lord that there are decent cable series out there now.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Why the hell has Whitney been renewed? I rather have Outsourced return than Whitney.
[/QUOTE]

No doubt, I kind of dismissed it at first but after it got rolling I think I kind of actually enjoyed Outsourced last year. Then again maybe some of that was thanks to Pippa Black being in it...

[quote name='bobo2k4']Why the hell has Whitney been renewed? I rather have Outsourced return than Whitney.
Sad to hear that 30 Rock is over but better to see it end on it's own than be dragged to death like other shows.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I also thought Outsourced was a good show. I'm kinda torn about Whitney though. I think the chemistry between her and her bf really good, but the writing swings between piss poor or really great.

Not a huge fan of 30 Rock though.

bread's done
Back