Why keep them sealed?

reibeatall

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I didn't want to troll in this thread, but there's something that's been bothering me, and I'm wondering if I can get a GOOD answer from you guys.

Everybody here's all crazy about buying games, that much we have in common. But it seems like a lot of people don't actually play the games they buy, instead they just stare at them. They don't even open them. What's the whole purpose of purchasing a game and NOT playing it? To an extreme level, that's like buying a car and not driving it.
I'm sure most of the answers will be along the lines of "it sells for more sealed", and if so, you're in this hobby for the wrong reason.

I hear you on this and the only reason I could say is one might buy two copies of a game if they are a collector and have one to keep sealed and one to play. I would say more than half of the people here are buying them for resale with no intention of ever playing them.

I never understood it either. Even if youre a collector. Weird stuff. The only way I would buy two copies of a game and keep one sealed is if I actually worked on that title.

I would even say the people who do it for the resale value are somewhat sane, but it doesnt seem to be the case usually. Most of these people buy crap games just to have, and most have multiple copies of these crap games just to keep in their collection.

I think what it is is just so these people feel like their lives are worth something. So they can show their friends, or go online and say "I have 30000 game collection, look at the picture of my game library." Its just a hobby gone horribly wrong in these cases. We should not mock these people though, we should get them help.

[quote name='reibeatall']

Everybody here's all crazy about buying games, that much we have in common. But it seems like a lot of people don't actually play the games they buy, instead they just stare at them. They don't even open them. What's the whole purpose of purchasing a game and NOT playing it? To an extreme level, that's like buying a car and not driving it.
I'm sure most of the answers will be along the lines of "it sells for more sealed", and if so, you're in this hobby for the wrong reason.
[/QUOTE]

It's a collector's mentality. The better condition it's in, the more valuable/sought after it is. Some comic book fans are the same (with the grading system they have).

I've gotten out of that collection mentality for the most part, but if I see a sealed copy of one of my favorite games like Ogre Battle or Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts, then I simply can't help myself.

I used to tear the shrink wrapping off of games as soon as I got them, but now that I've got such a huge backlog due to CAG (and picking up lots of games at hellacheap), I don't open anything until I'm ready to play it.

It seems like its serving me pretty welll -- I had found Fire Emblem at the Sears clearance and never got around to playing it...and it skyrocketed to $80ish new! Well worth picking up a "play copy" for $18 or so at Gamestop after that...

But buying sealed games? Not my thing, and I don't get why people collect them. I'll pick up the occassional spare copy of a clearanced RPG in hopes of getting more than what I paid for it somewhere down the line, but that's about it.

[quote name='musha666']I would even say the people who do it for the resale value are somewhat sane, but it doesnt seem to be the case usually.

I think what it is is just so these people feel like their lives are worth something. So they can show their friends, or go online and say "I have 30000 game collection, look at the picture of my game library." Its just a hobby gone horribly wrong in these cases. We should not mock these people though, we should get them help.[/quote]

1) Aren't these people just as "bad" as hoarders then? I personally see no difference between somebody buying a lot of games to sell for a small profit a piece or a person who buys one game to sell it for a lot of profit. They still aren't playing the games.

2) I've got a big collection, and while I enjoy it, I have played 95% of the games in it at least once. I'm weird in that I don't beat games, but I play them.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']It's a collector's mentality. The better condition it's in, the more valuable/sought after it is. Some comic book fans are the same (with the grading system they have).

I've gotten out of that collection mentality for the most part, but if I see a sealed copy of one of my favorite games like Ogre Battle or Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts, then I simply can't help myself.[/quote]

1) Comic books... ughhh. Again, when I buy comics, I buy them to read them. And what's up with people who work at Comic shops? I know GameStop has a very negative stigma, but it seems like comic shops are even worse.

2) But here's my question. Would you play Ogre Battle or Super GnG?

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']They get a good deal on the game and have a large back log of games. Why open it if you can't get to it?[/quote]

This would work, except in the topic I linked to, there are sealed copies of games that everybody KNOWS will be profitable. Basically anything Atlus or NIS.

And why buy a game you don't have time for?

Simple: I just don't open them until I get around to them. I know a lot of CAGs do this as well.

I mean, there's a point when I look at a game and just decide to get rid of it because I'll never get around to playing it. So if it's still sealed, I can recoup more of what I paid for it originally.

[quote name='javeryh']I have no idea. Collecting ANYTHING (other then money and hos) makes absolutely no sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Yes!!! What he said. I use to buy movies and then I caught myself never watching. I use to care about keeping my games after beating them but I save money selling or trading them in.

But, I guess it is like collecting cards and stuff.

So you can sell Metal Gear Solid 2:Substance on ebay for $185. I always leave mine sealed until I'm ready to put them in and play them.

The only time I have a game that is a) valuable b) sealed c) purchased at or below msrp is when I purchased a game with the intention to play, but it never made it out of the backlog. MGS Twin Snakes Non-PC is an example. I bought it new at kmart for $3.00 on sale, but never got a chance to play it. Now I look and see it has value, so I am going to sell mine and probably get a nice used copy. I always keep my backlog games sealed and periodically check to see if they have value.

It is pure luck when I have a valuable sealed game

Some people just like having stuff that is in pristine condition. Also, buying a game sealed insures on a 99.9% level that the game works and can be played. I know I hate buying used games. Some people on here just like getting games on sale or clearance and then selling or trading down the road for better value. If you spend $40 now on some clearance games, 8 months from now, you might get $120 worth of stuff because it's sealed.

Well, there ARE people who buy cars with no intention of driving them. It's just that most people don't have enough money to pursue that collecting hobby.

You encounter this in practically every hobby.

That said I don't open my games until I'm going to play them - even if I bought it with the intention to play soon and have a small (or no) backlog, other games have a way of popping up and getting played first, and if I eventually don't feel like playing it, a sealed copy is gonna get me a few bucks more than not.

[quote name='javeryh']I have no idea. Collecting ANYTHING (other then money and hos) makes absolutely no sense to me.[/quote]

How's the wife feel about the second option?:lol:

I often buy games when they are cheap and keep them sealed until I'm ready to play them, I just don't see the point until it's actually going to get played. I do the same thing with DVD's.

I can say I've bought and then sold games that were sealed, it doesn't happen too often, but I'd buy a few games (if there was some sort of deal like a buy 2 get 1 or something) and just never get around to playing 1 of them.

[quote name='reibeatall']1)

1) Comic books... ughhh. Again, when I buy comics, I buy them to read them. And what's up with people who work at Comic shops? I know GameStop has a very negative stigma, but it seems like comic shops are even worse.

2) But here's my question. Would you play Ogre Battle or Super GnG?[/QUOTE]

1. I was just at the comic shop yesterday so I can't argue with you there. I used to sell certain comics for their value but it wasn't fun when I tried to sell them and couldn't even get half of their supposed value.

2. I already have them multiple times (different systems) so no, I wouldn't buy a sealed copy to play it. It would just be nice to have a copy of something I love in excellent condition, and I ever get tired of I'll just sell it off.

I open all my games most of the time unless I forget, for one it is a habit to make sure the disc is secure lol. I had a copy of Radiata Stories on my shelf for about 7 months or more and never noticed it was sealed until my Fiances sister asked if she could play it, needless to say it is open now.

the only time I do not open some games is if in a case where you stumble upon something that is so cheap you have to buy it (ex. like $2 clearance game) but im not sure if I will like it so it sits and if someone wants it I will sell it to them pretty much most of the time.

i keep them sealed for a number of reasons. as somebody mentioned above, when you have a growing backlog of games, there's no reason to open a game if you don't have time yet to play it. why buy the game if you don't have time then? well, often times i'm not sure if a game i'm interested in playing will still be readily available later on (such as persona 3...although fes will solve this problem soon enough). thus, buying them earlier ensures i'll have a copy to play if i ever decide to later on.

however, i must admit that some games i don't ever intend to play, or already have a copy of, but still keep a sealed copy. that's because sealed copies of high-demand or rare games make excellent bartering chips on...well...places like cag. or, they make good presents for friends that i can pull out of my ass wherever and whenever (best buy near me once clearanced elite beat agents and portrait of ruin for like 7 bucks each, so i bought 2 copies of both. over the last year, i've given them out to gaming friends for birthdays/christmas, esp. since so many people are getting dses nowadays)

:bow:

There are some older games I did not play the first time around and are no longer readily available. When I do find a copy online, it's overpriced because it is sealed or "black label". As soon as I get the game, I'm going to open it, play it through and store it on the shelf. The wrap and label do nothing for me, other than keep me from playing some great games.

Thanks to CAG, I found some of them dirt cheap. Yes, the discs are not in great condition or manuals are missing/damaged. Yet, it still gets me to my end goal of experiencing the game.

I never understood why people collect sealed games either.
I can understand keeping action figures sealed(even tho I don't), but games?
I just don't get it. I open every game I get. :)
[quote name='juvo']There are some older games I did not play the first time around and are no longer readily available. When I do find a copy online, it's overpriced because it is sealed or "black label". As soon as I get the game, I'm going to open it, play it through and store it on the shelf. The wrap and label do nothing for me, other than keep me from playing some great games.

Thanks to CAG, I found some of them dirt cheap. Yes, the discs are not in great condition or manuals are missing/damaged. Yet, it still gets me to my end goal of experiencing the game.[/quote]I Agree, there are several kinda rare RPGs I'd like to have on SNES & PS1, but all that I find are sealed and $200+

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']I can understand keeping action figures sealed(even tho I don't), but games?[/quote]

Care to explain the logic there?

[quote name='juvo']:bow:

There are some older games I did not play the first time around and are no longer readily available. When I do find a copy online, it's overpriced because it is sealed or "black label". As soon as I get the game, I'm going to open it, play it through and store it on the shelf. The wrap and label do nothing for me, other than keep me from playing some great games.

Thanks to CAG, I found some of them dirt cheap. Yes, the discs are not in great condition or manuals are missing/damaged. Yet, it still gets me to my end goal of experiencing the game.[/quote]

...Why not just wait for one that isn't sealed or gretest hits? There are a ton of places -- eBay, Half.com, Amazon, GameTz, CAG. If you have patience, you'll be able to find a decent price on something that's opened or not in super pristine ZOMG collector's condition.

I think it's already been mentioned by many other CAGs, but if you buy it and don't play it immediately, you still have a choice later to turn it around for profit.
Case and point, I saw a mint condition Silent Hill 3 at a local store for $12.00 (not GH). I knew I had a copy at home that I had not yet played, but at this price I couldn't resist.
When I got home, I noticed that my copy was still sealed (lol), so I quickly put that sucker up on Ebay, and needless to say it will sell for a lot more than $12.00.

If I see a game on clearance, especially one for under $10 and it looks interesting, I'll buy it. I don't open it until I am ready to play it. An example is Advance Wars DS, I picked it up for $8.96 at CC in 2006 because I heard good things about the series, and never opened it. After reading a review about 6 months ago I decided I wouldn't enjoy it that much and sold it on EBay for $50. Had I opened it and let it collect dust and decided to sell it, I would have gotten at least $15 less

[quote name='dragonjud']I think it's already been mentioned by many other CAGs, but if you buy it and don't play it immediately, you still have a choice later to turn it around for profit.
Case and point, I saw a mint condition Silent Hill 3 at a local store for $12.00 (not GH). I knew I had a copy at home that I had not yet played, but at this price I couldn't resist.
When I got home, I noticed that my copy was still sealed (lol), so I quickly put that sucker up on Ebay, and needless to say it will sell for a lot more than $12.00.[/quote]

So instead of allowing somebody else to purchase the game at $12, somebody who'd theoretically WANT to play it, you flipped it onto eBay for your own gain?

[quote name='reibeatall']So instead of allowing somebody else to purchase the game at $12, somebody who'd theoretically WANT to play it, you flipped it onto eBay for your own gain?[/quote]

Hmm, sure. You keep living in that theoretical world of yours. It was in the bargain bin of the store collecting dust, so I feel zero guilt about buying it. I flipped the sealed copy, and I kept the $12.00 copy to play.

In a system where Gamestop sells copies of MVC 2 at Ebay prices, I need to make my profit to allow me to buy them or the $60.00 games for Next-gen. It is what it is.

[quote name='reibeatall']So instead of allowing somebody else to purchase the game at $12, somebody who'd theoretically WANT to play it, you flipped it onto eBay for your own gain?[/quote]

Now, how do you know the person who bought it on eBay didn't want to play it, and he saved that poor Silent Hill 2 that was sitting at his local game stop from field destroy? Hmm?

:applause:[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Now, how do you know the person who bought it on eBay didn't want to play it, and he saved that poor Silent Hill 2 that was sitting at his local game stop from field destroy? Hmm?[/quote]:lol::)

I have the same qualms with people who get upset about "greatest hits" titles..

its the SAME game.. it really is.. exactly the same.. its just has a "reprinted" different packaging.. and people go off the deepend on them.. it makes me laugh..

I only have two sealed games at the moment. Both I picked up from contest and don't have the system for or just don't feel like playing. One is a DDR game for PS2 with the mat and the other is Bioshock because I don't have a 360. Not worth my time dealing with the shipping and trouble of trying to sell them.

honestly, to me, the shrink wrap is just a nuisance...but hey, its needed right?
maybe people who love and obsess over sealed games will show them off like a fine wine in the future?
video game casks!!

[quote name='dragonjud']Hmm, sure. You keep living in that theoretical world of yours. It was in the bargain bin of the store collecting dust, so I feel zero guilt about buying it. I flipped the sealed copy, and I kept the $12.00 copy to play.

In a system where Gamestop sells copies of MVC 2 at Ebay prices, I need to make my profit to allow me to buy them or the $60.00 games for Next-gen. It is what it is.[/quote]

So because GameStop does it, you must? That's a horrible view of looking at things.
"So this company that I hate sells their games for a lot, so I must sell my own games a lot because that somehow makes everything better."

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Now, how do you know the person who bought it on eBay didn't want to play it, and he saved that poor Silent Hill 2 that was sitting at his local game stop from field destroy? Hmm?[/quote]

But how much did that person on eBay pay for it?

People buy things to sell them for profit, the United States and most other countries have capitalist economies, get over it. If Joe wants to go buy up copies of GAME X because he thinks they will be valuable, he likes to look at them, whatever, why should it be morally wrong to do so?

To answer the OP, for some odd reason people pay MORE for sealed games than used games. Until that changes, people will keep games sealed unless the care more about playing it than its value.

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']People buy things to sell them for profit, the United States and most other countries have capitalist economies, get over it. If Joe wants to go buy up copies of GAME X because he thinks they will be valuable, he likes to look at them, whatever, why should it be morally wrong to do so?

To answer the OP, for some odd reason people pay MORE for sealed games than used games. Until that changes, people will keep games sealed unless the care more about playing it than its value.[/quote]

My original question is basically: Why the shit don't you guys play games?

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']@reibeatall

And eBay prices are eBay prices for a reason. Why would I sell my games for less than what people are paying for them? That's terrible logic right there in my opinion.[/quote]

I'm just naive. If a friend wants to play a game I have, I don't care how much it is, I let him. I tried to sell a friend a sealed copy of Persona 3 for $25, because that's how much I got it for. He turned me down and instead paid $50. This hobby shouldn't be about the elitist who have this awesome game, but it should be about everybody playing games. This whole thing reeks of "me me me me me and you suck".

I only buy games I intend to play (i.e. I don't buy games to add to a collection) but I don't open a sealed game until I'm ready to play it.

But if somebody does collect sealed games, more power to them. I'm just not a collector.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']I used to tear the shrink wrapping off of games as soon as I got them, but now that I've got such a huge backlog due to CAG (and picking up lots of games at hellacheap), I don't open anything until I'm ready to play it.

It seems like its serving me pretty welll -- I had found Fire Emblem at the Sears clearance and never got around to playing it...and it skyrocketed to $80ish new! Well worth picking up a "play copy" for $18 or so at Gamestop after that...

But buying sealed games? Not my thing, and I don't get why people collect them. I'll pick up the occassional spare copy of a clearanced RPG in hopes of getting more than what I paid for it somewhere down the line, but that's about it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of what you stated, I also used to open games ASAP... but I noticed if I didnt and the game went up in value, I could sell the sealed copy for a nice profit and buy a nice used copy... thus making my game free. Ill buy games I am interested in, compulsively at times, but I always get good deals, if a year down the line I am no longer interested in that game, I know I can sell it and not lose any money... I do buy games to play first and foremost... and I see no problem with those who just collect them, they are some of my best customers ;)

I think it's funny that there are people who think there's something "wrong" with buying anything for the sole purpose of profiting on it in the future. If someone wants to play a game then they will get a copy of it plain and simple. If they are forced to pay a premium because an "evil" hoarder bought up every last copy to sell on eBay then tough titties - either pay the market price or get to the store sooner next time.

[quote name='javeryh']I think it's funny that there are people who think there's something "wrong" with buying anything for the sole purpose of profiting on it in the future. If someone wants to play a game then they will get a copy of it plain and simple. If they are forced to pay a premium because an "evil" hoarder bought up every last copy to sell on eBay then tough titties - either pay the market price or get to the store sooner next time.[/quote]

I think it's bad for the industry (in general, not any specific company) and bad for the people who want to support it. Again, why get into a hobby for profit instead of fun?

[quote name='reibeatall']I think it's bad for the industry (in general, not any specific company) and bad for the people who want to support it. Again, why get into a hobby for profit instead of fun?[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it but hoarders probably help the industry if anything because...
a) they'll buy a ton of copies of a game early on (getting the most profit to the publisher) vs. waiting for price drops.
b) maybe the publisher will decide to print more seeing as how the market supply appears to out.

Hoarders are bad for gamers, not the industry.

I wouldn't count hoarding a hobby, it's more like (bad) business. But I collect and I find it fun to do... I don't do it for profit (because I don't buy to sell, I buy to keep), I do it because I enjoy it.

[quote name='Vinny']

Hoarders are bad for gamers, not the industry.
[/quote]

You make good points, but what good's the industry without gamers? If it's bad for gamers, it's bad for the gaming industry.
You're also speaking in the financial sense, which I'm trying to avoid. Shit games like PETZ CATZ LOLOL are also bad for the industry, but as a double edged sword, they do bring in new gamers.

Why do people keep games sealed? Simple answer- there are collectors in this world who collect sealed video games.

Whether you understand it or not, or collect them or not, does not change that some people do appreciate it and they get enjoyment out of it. Everybody likes different things- it is what makes the world go 'round and makes everybody different.

There are people who collect coins? Why? I don't know, but they enjoy it for their own reasons so who really cares?

Collecting sealed games is absolutely no different. Collectors want them and they enjoy having a sealed collection or a particular sealed title.

There really is no rhyme or reason- certain video game collector's just prefer to collect factory sealed games due to their condition and rarity.

Everybody in this world is different and they appreciate different things.

[quote name='reibeatall']Again, why get into a hobby for profit instead of fun?[/quote]

Some people get their kicks by investing in the stock market, and consider investing and risk management a hobby. There's the potential for profit and fun in this case.

Video games are somewhat of an interesting similarly-aligned market if you play it right. Now, while I don't go out and buy out more than two copies of a game at a time (unless I come by uber-deals, Valkyrie Profile NEW for $16 @ Walmart?!?! years ago), betting on titles that will likely age and mature-well will mean that the games I purchased two years ago will retain or grow their value should I decide to sell down the line in the event I don't get around to playing it (SMT: Nocturne). Other times, some games don't/won't hold or appreciate much (Steambot Chroncles/Bumpy Trot).

It's a damn shame Steambot Chronicles didn't get the praise it deserved.

But how much profit can really be had? SMT: Nocturne is selling for around $100. That's only $50 profit in what, two, three years? That's nothing if you really look at it. Percentage would lead you to believe otherwise, though.

[quote name='reibeatall']But how much profit can really be had? SMT: Nocturne is selling for around $100. That's only $50 profit in what, two, three years? That's nothing if you really look at it. Percentage would lead you to believe otherwise, though.[/quote]

I make a better margin from the games I do sell than I do in the stock market. It is easier for me to tell whether a game will appreciate than a stock in most instances.

I use the profits from selling games I bought, and then realized weren't for me, to buy different games. I don't use the money to pay the bills. It's a hobby, not a living.

Its simple, having something no one else have. Bragging rites come into play sometimes. I am a collector because i don't have much time for gaming. Yes i do make a profit every now and again but not every collector is a hoarder. Hoarder are those whose main attention is to flip it on ebay. If i do get multiples of a clearance game, it is only because i want to TRADE it for something else that i can't either find or want to pay high price for. I never spend more than $20 on one game anymore but i have a library that consists of many Sealed SNES/Genesis/PS2/N64 games. I am a retro collector, much like many of my fellow comrades.

bread's done
Back