Why the hell do I like Erasure?!?

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
It makes no sense to me. I don't like techno/dance type music (probably not what they're classified as) and I mainly listen to alternative rock. For some reason though, everytime I hear an Erasure song, I'm like fuck yeah!

Seriously, Oh L'amour, I can't possibly like this.

Please help me!

"I Love to Hate You" is a phenomenal song.

And if they can make a motherfucker dance to an ABBA cover, you know they're in cahoots with the Lord of Darkness.

Erasure is that one guy (Vince something) from Depeche Mode who left and formed Yaz with Alison Moyet. They had two great 80's new wave songs-Don't Go and Situation.
They didn't last long and then he formed Erasure and joined with that new guy singer. I liked Yaz much better, but I guess Alison Moyet wanted to go solo.

Erasure can't hold a candle to Pet Shop Boys! I still like them, though. You shouldn't feel guilty.

Some of my personal favorites:

Ship of Fools
Blue Savannah
Chains of Love
A Little Respect

Would you say that Erasure > New Order?

I love, love, love erasure. It's really weird how a man can have such a beautiful and feminine voice. I love most of their works, but some favorite songs of mine aside from Oh L'amour are Ship of Fools and I Love Saturday. I can see why you might be concerned since you're generally a alternative-rock-listening-male, but I obivously see no problem with liking erasure :)

I think their only flaw is they have probably the gayest music videos ever.

I've got one CD, The Secret Policeman's Third Ball, with many live tracks I like from artists whose albums I'm very unlikely to buy. One of them is Erasure doing 'Victim of Love.' (The one I usually skip when playing the disc is a whiny Jackson Brown piece.)

Nik Kershaw was pretty much a one hit wonder in the US but fairly big int he UK. So this CD had the one song of his from the early days of MTV, which is all the Nik Kershaw I expect I'll ever need.

Some songs just connect, even when they fall into a category that normally holds no attraction.

[quote name='shieryda']Erasure can't hold a candle to Pet Shop Boys! I still like them, though. You shouldn't feel guilty.

Some of my personal favorites:

Ship of Fools
Blue Savannah
Chains of Love
A Little Respect

Would you say that Erasure > New Order?[/quote]

Oh God, it's going to turn into an Erasure vs. New Order vs. Pet Shop Boys thread. We're all doomed.

I honestly don't know what New Order sings and I only know two Pet Shop Boys songs (West End Girls & one other that alludes me right now). So for me I guess, Erasure wins out. I do have a 45 of West End Girls though, although that's another song that I can not understand why I would like.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I think their only flaw is they have probably the gayest music videos ever.[/QUOTE]

Well...er...I mean...

duh. Yeah, that's about right. duh.

[quote name='shipwreck']Oh God, it's going to turn into an Erasure vs. New Order vs. Pet Shop Boys thread. We're all doomed.

I honestly don't know what New Order sings and I only know two Pet Shop Boys songs (West End Girls & one other that alludes me right now). So for me I guess, Erasure wins out. I do have a 45 of West End Girls though, although that's another song that I can not understand why I would like.[/QUOTE]

too bad its not the New World Order..

I hate to admit, that I like Erasure and Pet Shop Boys too lol!

lol, this is a funny thread topic. Can't say I'm a huge fan of Erasure, they did have a few catchy tunes. I guess the closest think I like that is similar is New Order.

[quote name='shipwreck']It makes no sense to me. I don't like techno/dance type music (probably not what they're classified as) and I mainly listen to alternative rock. For some reason though, everytime I hear an Erasure song, I'm like fuck yeah!

Seriously, Oh L'amour, I can't possibly like this.

Please help me![/QUOTE]

You simply like good music [I've never listened to Erasure though] and shouldn't be afraid to like what you like

I really really really enjoy classical music and classic rock, most people who like classical music or classic rock limit themselves to their one genre only, everything else is crap

I say you instead listen to their music and really analyze it...maybe it's the lyrics? the melodies? the beats? who knows?

Just hopefully, by alternative rock, you don't mean My Chemical Romance or Hello Goodbye...

[quote name='sarausagi']You simply like good music [I've never listened to Erasure though] and shouldn't be afraid to like what you like

I really really really enjoy classical music and classic rock, most people who like classical music or classic rock limit themselves to their one genre only, everything else is crap

I say you instead listen to their music and really analyze it...maybe it's the lyrics? the melodies? the beats? who knows?

Just hopefully, by alternative rock, you don't mean My Chemical Romance or Hello Goodbye...[/quote]

No, I'm not a big fan of My Chemical Romance, and while I've heard of Hello Goodbye, I have no idea what they sound like. I'm more a Weezer, Nirvana, Ben Folds, etc. type.

since '93. nothing really to add, just an erasure fan. it's nice to read that i'm not the only one. none of my friends seem to enjoy them as much. maybe because i'm from sc where country and pop crap reign supreme?

If you don't have it already, pick up Erasure's self-titled album from 1995. It's unlike anything they did before or since. Very experimental, darkly toned, and features a nice wailing performance from Diamanda Galas on the sprawling 10-minute "Rock Me Gently." All in all, it's far and away my favorite Erasure album.

PSB is pretty damn good, too -- you'd be hard pressed to find another pop record as perfect as Behaviour. You also have to respect a band who turns out a disco smash that soccer hooligans latch on to as an anthem ("Go West"). I really enjoyed their album Release but was moderately disappointed with the new one, Fundamental.

New Order had some brilliant moments, too. Everything's Gone Green, Age of Consent, the entire album Republic, etc., etc., etc.

Anybody ever pick up Electronic's albums with Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr? They're last one, Twisted Tenderness, has some incredible songs... "Vivid" is pure genius.

[quote name='Scobie']Diamanda Galas[/QUOTE]

I always get that name confused with Valerie "I Shot Andy Warhol/SCUM Manifesto" Solanas. I don't particularly care for either, but at least they aren't Laurie Anderson.

[quote name='shieryda']Would you say that Erasure > New Order?[/QUOTE]

No way. I like Erasure, but New Order are geniuses (even if accidental ones) that have influenced so many artists and combined electronic experimentation with traditional pop/rock like none before them.

Personally the only people I put in league with New Order are Radiohead, Prince, The Beatles and Brian Wilson.

[quote name='mykevermin']I always get that name confused with Valerie "I Shot Andy Warhol/SCUM Manifesto" Solanas. I don't particularly care for either, but at least they aren't Laurie Anderson.[/quote]

Ever hear Laurie Anderson's "Strange Angels"? She ditched all the really weird stuff, and made a very good pop record that is quirky-strange but not weird. I really like it.

bread's done
Back