Wife offered 1 job interviewed for a slightly better one...advice on how long to wait

Soodmeg

CAGiversary!
Alright, my wife got offered 1 job and got a hugely positive interview for another. One as a director for a company with very little prestige and she will basically already be at the top so no room for improvement. It pays slightly more than the other.

The other is at the U of Michigan as what appears to be an aid like position. It pays slightly less than the first one but its..U of M. the possibility are endless. The other little wrinkle is that the first job she basically only has to say yes and she has it. They targeted her, they want her they upped their offer to get her. Now again, she only interviewed at U of M but they really liked her but its been a week and a half and no response. The deadline for accepting the first job is about 6 days away.

The other shitty things is that our apartment lease is up this week.....we would have to move for the U of M thing but we have to give them an answer this week also or be charged a late fee.

What to do? I really want her to take the U of M job (Although I would support her either way) because I am think 10 years down the road and U of M has way more possibilities but the other is money in hand now......how long should we wait before accepting? The very last day of the deadline?

We have probably gone over this a thousand times so far and either of us has a good answer.

Have her call the University and have her tell them that she has another offer, but that the U job is her top choice, etc, etc. Have her ask when they will have a decision. If they really want her they might offer it to her on the spot or shortly thereafter.

Also:
1073295.jpg

My wife recently went through a somewhat similar thing.

I would have her tell U of M she has an offer and she would like to know the status of the position there, they should understand.

Actually she gave them a call 2ish days ago asking about the status, all they said was they havent reached the end of their hiring phase yet it but it will probably be at the end of the week. Which is tomorrow.....soo I guess if they call tomorrow then its fine but if they dont......I just dont know....I know the deadline is the first of next month but clearly you shouldnt take all of it right?

One more thing...those are some flat booty Ohio fans.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Actually she gave them a call 2ish days ago asking about the status, all they said was they havent reached the end of their hiring phase yet it but it will probably be at the end of the week. Which is tomorrow.....soo I guess if they call tomorrow then its fine but if they dont......I just dont know....I know the deadline is the first of next month but clearly you shouldnt take all of it right?

One more thing...those are some flat booty Ohio fans.[/QUOTE]

I would call on Monday then. Gives them the whole day Friday.

And at least we aren't fat cows like Michigan fans. :booty:

My husband is a U of M alum.

Universities are notorious for having slow hr departments that suck balls. If the position has been available for at least 2 months, then they should be wrapping up....soon. Anything less than that and you might as well wait for the second coming.

I may be reading too much into this but, I hear loud and clear what you would like your wife to do. I'm not so clear on what she wants.
The smaller company actually sounds very promising. It also sounds as though your wife would have a bit of security since they are pursuing her and she will be very high up in the company. In addition, she may be in a position to help move the company forward, thereby increasing her own value (and hopefully her paycheck).
On the other hand, being an "aide" at U of M doesn't sound like something that is going to offer her much opportunity to "stretch" her limits and abilities. Also, I am not sure I would choose a job that keeps me waiting, along with a group of other candidates, over an employer that clearly values what I have to offer.
It seems to me, that she will just be a cog in the machine at U of M and the hiring practices are a sign of what she has to look forward to if she accepts a position with them.
Also the success of an interview is definitely a subjective thing. Everybody who makes it to the second interview thinks they are doing great but there is only one job available....
I think the smaller company is the better bet, particularly if she has faith in her ability to help them profit.
A guaranteed job that pays well, or a chance at a job with a prestigious university that pays less. Take the money and make your own future.

Best of luck.......

Well, obviously what she wants is important to the decision, but I'd say accept the job offer. The way you describe things it sounds like it would be easier and safer to do so. While there are a myriad of reasons to pick either, this really sounds like the best call is to just take the job.

Don't forget to take into account the impact the job can have on her résumé. Headroom for potential advancement at the university is nice but it's not guaranteed, and it could end up being a slow process. Have you two considered that she could take the director position and be there for a year or two and then start applying for better positions at other places based on the more valuable experience she gains?

As far as the lease goes, in the past I was in a similar situation waiting on the hiring process and went up to the front office and explained it and they let me go an extra month without a lease to give me some more time to find out which job I was going to take. Have you talked with your apartment manager about the situation?

[quote name='rockalittle00']I may be reading too much into this but, I hear loud and clear what you would like your wife to do. I'm not so clear on what she wants.
The smaller company actually sounds very promising. It also sounds as though your wife would have a bit of security since they are pursuing her and she will be very high up in the company. In addition, she may be in a position to help move the company forward, thereby increasing her own value (and hopefully her paycheck).
On the other hand, being an "aide" at U of M doesn't sound like something that is going to offer her much opportunity to "stretch" her limits and abilities. Also, I am not sure I would choose a job that keeps me waiting, along with a group of other candidates, over an employer that clearly values what I have to offer.
It seems to me, that she will just be a cog in the machine at U of M and the hiring practices are a sign of what she has to look forward to if she accepts a position with them.
Also the success of an interview is definitely a subjective thing. Everybody who makes it to the second interview thinks they are doing great but there is only one job available....
I think the smaller company is the better bet, particularly if she has faith in her ability to help them profit.
A guaranteed job that pays well, or a chance at a job with a prestigious university that pays less. Take the money and make your own future.

Best of luck.......[/QUOTE]

This. UM definitely sound better but doesn't guarantee there will be opportunity for advancement. The main advantage with a University will likely be better benefits and better job security than you will see in the public sector. The differences in benefits might more than make up the lower salary.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soodmeg']Actually she gave them a call 2ish days ago asking about the status, all they said was they havent reached the end of their hiring phase yet it but it will probably be at the end of the week. Which is tomorrow.....soo I guess if they call tomorrow then its fine but if they dont......I just dont know....I know the deadline is the first of next month but clearly you shouldnt take all of it right?[/QUOTE]
If they had any reservations about her having another offer on the table, something would've been said. Its in their best interests to delay as long as possible in telling you no in order to keep her around as plan B if their main candidate doesn't accept. If its somebody's aide, its their call. It shouldn't be a long process.

If they don't have a better answer on Monday, its not happening.

I guess that she held out for the "better" job and got neither. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Have her call the University and have her tell them that she has another offer, but that the U job is her top choice, etc, etc. Have her ask when they will have a decision. If they really want her they might offer it to her on the spot or shortly thereafter.

Also:
1073295.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'll take #1 and 3 and I would like to super size it please :lol:

bread's done
Back