Wifi cheap for X-Box 360

MrGranger

CAGiversary!
I'm replacing my old 360 with a new HDMI version, but the old one works great still so I was thinking about moving it into another room instead of selling. But I want to get wireless for the box, otherwise it's pretty useless for TV watching, which it will become the Netflix box. I just don't want to spend $80 on wifi.

Isn't there some cheap options out there now? It doesn't have to be super fast.

I use the Buffalo router mentioned in carbontiger's link for my WiFi router with DD-WRT firmware. If you have an old WiFi router around or can get one cheap, this is the way to go if you have the patience to get it flashed properly. You can not only configure it as an ethernet bridge, but you can boost the signal as well.

I use a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server/bridge for my kids 360. I got it for $30 at Microcenter, but YMMV. This works like the one spydey uses. It is a Wireless print server with an ethernet bridge.

I have another WiFi router that I just learned can be configured as a wireless bridge with the original firmware. It is a ZyXEL P-330W. I got it for $5 after rebate, but I think it is about $40. I used this at my inlaws for a stay there since a cable would not have worked.

On these devices, you connect the ethernet port on the 360 to the device with a straight through cable, so if the bridge is configured correctly it is pretty much plug and play. If you don't run DHCP, you will have to put a static IP address on the 360, but that is the same for all devices.

A note on streaming video - wireless works with SDTV, but not HD. It should be fine for Netflix since the bottleneck would be your Internet connection. I run a Media Center PC and I need to run cable if I want to watch an HD stream from it to the 360.

[quote name='carbontiger']is that just plug and play in the back of the 360?[/quote]

You plug it in with an Ethernet cable to the back.

Thanks all...

[quote name='PapaSmerf']
A note on streaming video - wireless works with SDTV, but not HD. It should be fine for Netflix since the bottleneck would be your Internet connection. I run a Media Center PC and I need to run cable if I want to watch an HD stream from it to the 360.[/quote]

But I've got wireless on my main X-Box and it does seem to stream HD fine. It's got the little HD symbol, says it's HD, and the picture is crystal clear. If it's not HD then it's damn good. Check this out... http://www.engadgethd.com/2005/12/15/hdtv-over-wifi-general-impressions/

[quote name='MrGranger']Thanks all...

But I've got wireless on my main X-Box and it does seem to stream HD fine. It's got the little HD symbol, says it's HD, and the picture is crystal clear. If it's not HD then it's damn good. Check this out... http://www.engadgethd.com/2005/12/15/hdtv-over-wifi-general-impressions/[/quote]

The article seems to support my statement at least in my case. I run 802.11g. Best wireless results were with 802.11a. I will check to see if I am running mixed b and g. Perhaps that is slowing it down.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']The article seems to support my statement at least in my case. I run 802.11g. Best wireless results were with 802.11a. I will check to see if I am running mixed b and g. Perhaps that is slowing it down.[/quote]

Yeah...mine does downgrade when I'm playing on the computer & printing (wifi printers). I was using a Buffalo router to the 360 with Microsoft xbox 360 wireless adapter. Now the adapter is going directly to the Verizon box.

I'm in a side house so it's got to go out my wall, through a yard, and into my house wall. Two very thick walls which I would have though would cause problems. That said...if my wireless is moved too much I can have problems but it's been great so far. Just watched The Office to check...yep...that definitely is HD.

bread's done
Back