Wifi > Wireless Router > 360? - Possible w/o Network adaptor?

IceBlueShoes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thinking maybe this is possible but not sure.

Short story is that I'm moving to a new place in a few weeks. The apt. includes internet but it's wireless. I don't have the network adaptor, since I've always just plugged it into the router.

My question is, if I bought another router, is it possible to "pick up" the signal from other original router/modem and then just plug my 360 in via ethernet, in order to play on Live again?
Just trying to save a few bucks here... If not then I'll just cave and get the network adaptor.
Thanks in advance. :)

Yeah, it's possible. The wireless router you connect the 360 to would be acting as a wireless bridge. The process mostly revolves around (1) finding a compatible wireless router and (2) flashing some custom firmware to the router. Part 2 requires either a bit of technological know-how or the ability to both read and follow directions. If you are incapable of doing either, might just want to get the adaptor.

http://www.popsci.com/node/30580

I have one set up in my house using two routers, with one router set up as a wireless network bridge + running 3rd party software (DD-WRT). I've got a pretty big house, so the opposite side + downstairs get a very weak signal without the bridge. Basically the downstairs DD-WRT router is set up to receive the signal from upstairs and rebroadcast it, making the wireless signal stronger throughout the house and providing another outlet to hardwire ethernet to devices.

The bridge router downstairs is hooked via ethernet cable to a computer and game console, both work great. It is a bit technical to set up, but there's tons of help online and it's a pretty cheap + solid fix. If you don't want the hassle and just wanna play xbox, a cheap gaming adapter might be a better fix if you can find one.

Google wireless bridge and DD-WRT for more info. That's where I started.

While the chances of this are probably low, you might be able to jack into the wall. I moved into an apartment a few months back, and there are internet jacks in the bedrooms (may be more, never bothered to check). Granted, I don't know if you would have to do anything or not (I have a wireless adapter for my 360 so never tried), but it's a possibility.

[quote name='alizk']I have one set up in my house using two routers, with one router set up as a wireless network bridge + running 3rd party software (DD-WRT). I've got a pretty big house, so the opposite side + downstairs get a very weak signal without the bridge. Basically the downstairs DD-WRT router is set up to receive the signal from upstairs and rebroadcast it, making the wireless signal stronger throughout the house and providing another outlet to hardwire ethernet to devices.

The bridge router downstairs is hooked via ethernet cable to a computer and game console, both work great. It is a bit technical to set up, but there's tons of help online and it's a pretty cheap + solid fix. If you don't want the hassle and just wanna play xbox, a cheap gaming adapter might be a better fix if you can find one.

Google wireless bridge and DD-WRT for more info. That's where I started.[/QUOTE]

This right here. Also, look into Tomato as it was easier to install for some people I know who don't know that much about routers.

Thanks for the replies folks.
I won't be able to try for about 2 weeks (when I move) and while I'd prefer to have my own internet account, it doesn't seem doable.
Anyways, I'd rather buy something I'll use for a long time (router) vs. something I can only use w/ 1 thing, ie xbox.
I'll read over the details later on.
Thanks! :)

@OP: Any chance you are going to have a computer (desktop/laptop) near your 360? If so, will the comp have a WiFi adapter of it's own and an ethernet port? If so, you could just share the wifi connection. I do it all the time for my 360 (done with both a lappy and a desktop, running XP, Vista, and Windows 7).

[quote name='hostyl1']@OP: Any chance you are going to have a computer (desktop/laptop) near your 360? If so, will the comp have a WiFi adapter of it's own and an ethernet port? If so, you could just share the wifi connection. I do it all the time for my 360 (done with both a lappy and a desktop, running XP, Vista, and Windows 7).[/QUOTE]
Yep. I will be actually.
I'm actually going to be using my monitor for the 360.
But I'm on a mac though. I could boot up into windows though or use my netbook w/ Win7, but I'm guessing Win7 starter doesn't let you do that...

I'll have to look into this though. Never thought of it.
Thanks!

[quote name='IceBlueShoes']Yep. I will be actually.
I'm actually going to be using my monitor for the 360.
But I'm on a mac though. [/QUOTE]

Joystiq (I know blasphemy to speak of on CAG ;)) has a walkthough for sharing on a mac. Connection sharing is such a great thing. You can watch the HD streaming videos and everything just like I suppose you would with the official adapter.

[quote name='IceBlueShoes']Just wondering if anyone knows if being on a password protected router would affect connecting in any way?[/QUOTE]

it shouldn't. If you use dd-wrt it will ask you the wireless password of the main router.

[quote name='Tecka']it shouldn't. If you use dd-wrt it will ask you the wireless password of the main router.[/QUOTE]
dd-wrt?
Sorry I'm lost... what is this?

Well, I can't get my Mac and 360 to "talk" to each other in order to share the connection. It doesn't even work in XP mode under bootcamp and Win7 starter is too ghetto in that it doesn't even allow internet sharing.
I'm going with an Airport Extreme router. Most things I've read say it's just plug and play and that it works.
Unless if someone here says otherwise?

bread's done
Back