Wii $250 - Nov 19th - The Nintendo 2-Day Press Event Thread!

[quote name='yukine']Haha, that's so ridiculously stupid, it's funny.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

Seriously I'm amazed at how many folks are suddenly jumping on the "Wii Sucks" bandwagon because its now the cool thing to do. Nintendo delievered on most of their promisses here outside of the potential slight delay on Zelda. If anything the letdowns I am seeing over the past few hours is from people who got overexcited over the rumors that have gone around about the pricing and what not. I took those rumors exactly as that - RUMORS. And I knew that until Nintendo gave the official price and date to only take those rumors exactly as they are. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Zelda, Wario Ware, Pokemon Battle Revolution, and Wii Sports are the first party launch titles in Japan. Supposedly Zelda won't be released on launch day here, and I doubt they'd release Pokemon here before Diamond & Pearl come out. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but does mean that possibly the only non-pack-in Nintendo launch title here will be Wario Ware?

[quote name='Demolition Man']QFT.

Seriously I'm amazed at how many folks are suddenly jumping on the "Wii Sucks" bandwagon because its now the cool thing to do. Nintendo delievered on most of their promisses here outside of the potential slight delay on Zelda. If anything the letdowns I am seeing over the past few hours is from people who got overexcited over the rumors that have gone around about the pricing and what not. I took those rumors exactly as that - RUMORS. And I knew that until Nintendo gave the official price and date to only take those rumors exactly as they are. Nothing more. Nothing less.[/QUOTE]

Me too. All Nintendo ever said was it'd be less than $250. Yeah, $249.99 is pushing it on the "less than $250," but companies always do that "less than $100!!!" when the product is $99.99 stuff. It's not Nintendo's fault everyone got all excited over some post on a message board about "OMG I dug through Reggie's trash and found out Wii will be $149 and come with your choice of Metroid or Zelda and 4 controllers!"

[quote name='thespillcanvas']My sleep schedule is reversed. It's weird, and nice, having an active thread while I'm up. :)[/QUOTE]

Same here. :D

[quote name='gambitmachete']Zelda, Wario Ware, Pokemon Battle Revolution, and Wii Sports are the first party launch titles in Japan. Supposedly Zelda won't be released on launch day here, and I doubt they'd release Pokemon here before Diamond & Pearl come out. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but does mean that possibly the only non-pack-in Nintendo launch title here will be Wario Ware?[/quote]
Metroid Prime 3? The Japanese don't really care much about the series and it's American-made, so I'd think that it'll be available at the US launch.

[quote name='Demolition Man']QFT.

Seriously I'm amazed at how many folks are suddenly jumping on the "Wii Sucks" bandwagon because its now the cool thing to do. Nintendo delievered on most of their promisses here outside of the potential slight delay on Zelda. If anything the letdowns I am seeing over the past few hours is from people who got overexcited over the rumors that have gone around about the pricing and what not. I took those rumors exactly as that - RUMORS. And I knew that until Nintendo gave the official price and date to only take those rumors exactly as they are. Nothing more. Nothing less.[/quote]

I say fine...let em spend $600 on a PS3 for friggin Blu-ray if they're so disappointed. It'll just mean a better chance of me finding a Wii on launch day. ;)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Metroid Prime 3? The Japanese don't really care much about the series and it's American-made, so I'd think that it'll be available at the US launch.[/QUOTE]

I may be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that Metroid had been pushed back to being a "launch window" game. Hopefully Reggie says otherwise in a few hours though.

[quote name='gambitmachete']I may be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that Metroid had been pushed back to being a "launch window" game. Hopefully Reggie says otherwise in a few hours though.[/quote]
Maybe. Last I heard from E3 was that it would be ready for the launch.

Looks like GameSpot will have a video of the US conference at 9 AM PDT.

Nintendo announced to select members of the press that on Thursday, September 14, 2006, the company would host an exclusive event in New York City revealing key new information about the Wii. Similar events would be hosted in Japan and in the UK for Nintendo's Japanese and European branches, respectively. GameSpot will have complete coverage of the US event, including a tape-delayed live video broadcast of the presentation itself. Be here at approximately 9:00 a.m. PDT on Thursday, September 14, for the broadcast.

Please note that due to bandwidth constraints, we are only able to offer a 300k feed of this broadcast. We expect to offer the video for on-demand viewing later in the day at higher bit rates. Furthermore, we expect to bring you written news coverage of the facts from this event prior to the broadcast, so expect Wii news on GameSpot prior to the showing. However, to see the presentation firsthand, tune in and watch the video.

Now if it's 250.00 for just the Console itself I would probably be a little upset. But f it's 250.00 and they are included Wii Sports, ThrowBack Controller, Namchuck Attachment, and Virtual COnsole Coins I'd be pretty happy. I hope for more news later today.

Nintendo could have got me to buy a Gamecube 2 if it launched at $150.

At $250 - "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

[quote name='zewone']Nintendo could have got me to buy a Gamecube 2 if it launched at $150.

At $250 - "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."[/QUOTE]

That pretty much sums up my opinion. I wasn't satisfied with my launch Cube so I don't feel like going down that road again with an extra $50 premium.

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!

>_> Although if the reason it's $249.99 is due to the Wii sports pack in...well at least it's not a lame UMD movie.

Man all you guys refusing to buy a Wii because it's going to cost you $250 are absolutely pathetic. Everyone has known for months the console would launch at around $250 with Wii Sports, so after months of praising the machine, when the final pricing information is announced/confirmed you guys throw a tantrum? What the hell is up with that? Just because Nintendo decides not to launch at your optimistic $200 figure you made up in your heads?

Also the cost comparions to the GC are inaccurate/irrelevent/pointless ~ The Wii *isn't* a $80 GC. The Wii is a fair bit more powerful than the GC so off the bat it's going to be more costly to manufacture. Then you have the features the GC doesn't have such as Wi-Fi, bluetooth, the sensor bar for the controller and so on. Wii remote and nunchuck cost around $50, Wii Sports I imagine would retail for around $30, and 512MB SD card for around $10-15? So if you add it up... $250 is not an unreasonable price to pay, and heck you just know various retailers will be doing some sort of discounts and packages to make the deal even sweeter.

Controller prices seem pretty cheap; I was imagining they'd be more expensive.

I'm not suprised to see VC games cost between $5-10, you know Nintendo values it's IP. Also Nintendo have hinted some games may have additional content, be reworked for the Wiimote, and have online play, so it's not all bad. =)
You guys seem to have no qualms paying crazy prices for downloadable X-Box 360 content and live arcade games, so I don't really know what the issue is lol.

As for Twilight Princess being delayed in the US, where on earth has this information come from? Can someone enlighten me? I havn't heard any gaming sites mention of a delay...

Regardless, I'm still picking up a Wii at launch, the new footage looks great - ExciteTrucks is definately a must pick up for me. I'll probably wait for the reviews on the other stuff but there's certainly a lot of titles I'm eager to get my hands on. The Wii is all about the games... I don't understand why the price announcement for the machine has put so many people off. Give it a week after launch and most of the nay-sayers will have given in and picked one up, you know it's going to be good. ^_^

[quote name='animefanakito']Man all you guys refusing to buy a Wii because it's going to cost you $250 are absolutely pathetic. Everyone has known for months the console would launch at around $250 with Wii Sports, so after months of praising the machine, when the final pricing information is announced/confirmed you guys throw a tantrum? What the hell is up with that? Just because Nintendo decides not to launch at your optimistic $200 figure you made up in your heads?

Also the cost comparions to the GC are inaccurate/irrelevent/pointless ~ The Wii *isn't* a $80 GC. The Wii is a fair bit more powerful than the GC so off the bat it's going to be more costly to manufacture. Then you have the features the GC doesn't have such as Wi-Fi, bluetooth, the sensor bar for the controller and so on. Wii remote and nunchuck cost around $50, Wii Sports I imagine would retail for around $30, and 512MB SD card for around $10-15? So if you add it up... $250 is not an unreasonable price to pay, and heck you just know various retailers will be doing some sort of discounts and packages to make the deal even sweeter.

Controller prices seem pretty cheap; I was imagining they'd be more expensive.

I'm not suprised to see VC games cost between $5-10, you know Nintendo values it's IP. Also Nintendo have hinted some games may have additional content, be reworked for the Wiimote, and have online play, so it's not all bad. =)
You guys seem to have no qualms paying crazy prices for downloadable X-Box 360 content and live arcade games, so I don't really know what the issue is lol.

As for Twilight Princess being delayed in the US, where on earth has this information come from? Can someone enlighten me? I havn't heard any gaming sites mention of a delay...

Regardless, I'm still picking up a Wii at launch, the new footage looks great - ExciteTrucks is definately a must pick up for me. I'll probably wait for the reviews on the other stuff but there's certainly a lot of titles I'm eager to get my hands on. The Wii is all about the games... I don't understand why the price announcement for the machine has put so many people off. Give it a week after launch and most of the nay-sayers will have given in and picked one up, you know it's going to be good. ^_^[/QUOTE]

I've never been one of those people who was super excited about the Wii. I've sat back and been cautiously optimistic and said in numerous posts prior to this announcement that at $200 I would look maybe getting it but no way would I spend $250 or more on it.

You do realize there's literally thousands of poster on this site correct? Sure there's some overlap on people that were talking up the Wii and were super excited about it and now they're not because of the price but there's a lot of people like myself that were largely basing their decision on the Wii based on the price. Hell, just look at the PS3 as another example of this. You also have to realize that this website is a website dedicated to CHEAP video games. At $250, I (and many others) wouldn't exactly consider this a cheap purchase.

I wasn't planning on getting one until next year, and if the $250 price holds, that will continue to be true...

[quote name='-GoodFella-']$250 is too much for a Gamecube on steroids. $200 or less would be more reasonable.[/quote] Isn't the X-Box 360 Core system $299.99 (+$100 for Pro) and Sony said the PS3 would be like $600... Wii is lower then both. haha! 1/2 the cost of PS3 and $50 lower then X-Box. ;)

I'm a little bit disappointed, but I don't know why.

I knew it was going to be 249, and I hoped it would atleast come with a game.

We got that but I guess I was hoping Nintendo would surprise me, and give Sony a nice slap.

Doesn't Nintendo normaly make great systems that are normaly not bugged at launch? Just look at the other next-gen systems and current-gen. Plus $250 is a lot cheaper then the other next-gens. I think, it's a steal and most likely.. they price will even get lower! It's going to be a big price gap between Next-gen systems. Personaly, I am going for the Wii then PS3 when it gets cheaper and less bugged.. heh. Then again, PS3 could be fine.. I wish.. haha

Regarding the Wii Points cards for the VC from GameSpot's article:

wiijapan5.jpg

However, for a limited time, consumers who purchase a 5,000 point Wii-point card will receive a classic controller for free. The 5,000 point card will retail for 5,000 yen ($42.50), and 3,000-point (3,000 yen/$25.50), and 1,000-point (1,000 yen/$8.50) cards will also be available. No direct US pricing for Wii point cards was available as of press time.
Could be something we'll see in the US launch.

The price of the console I am happy with. The fact that I will have to pay about $60 for one new controller+nunchuck (because the system does not include an extra one) infuriates me.

I know, I know...that's probably how much they cost to make, but still--$60 extra for multiplayer gaming is outrageous.

Don't even get me started on the Virtual Console prices.

My big problem with the release is how late the Wii is launching. I'm not so surprised by the fact that it's $250 (just a tad upset it's $50 more then we hoped), it's just pretty bold to put it out in the middle of November. Nintendo must seriously be planning on bitchslapping the PS3 when it might be a fight they don't even have to get into.

The good news is for Nintendo is they have a legitimate Pokemon game at launch in Japan. That right then and there is huge news. Hopefully, Reggie will drop some sort of American bombshell for us.

[quote name='furyk']]

The good news is for Nintendo is they have a legitimate Pokemon game at launch in Japan. That right then and there is huge news. Hopefully, Reggie will drop some sort of American bombshell for us.[/QUOTE]

I'm really hoping that some of this stuff is somehow getting messed up in translation. So much of the information just doesn't feel right. I guess We'll see in a few hours.

I was hoping for a cheaper price, or two packaged controllers, but oh well. I'll still get one at launch. Does anyone know if a standard SD mem card will work? It doesnt appear to come packaged with the classic controller either - hope I'm wrong on that one.

Looks like the cheapest to get in will be...

Wii system $250
Classic controller $20
Mem card ????
Game $50

$320 plus mem card.

That stings, but I still want one.

I just stumbled across this, but Nintendo plans to have 4 fucking million of these things by the end of the year on store shelves. It appears we won't be having a PS360 situation with the Wii thankfully.

Not the best results, but it'll do. It'd be nice if I was getting a second controller for the $250, but... oh well. Holding out hope we'll hear something slightly more positive out of Reggie this morning/afternoon, but not betting on it.

Nice thing about the VC point cards (rather than direct purchases online) is that there will probably be some opportunities to get those cheaper, much like Live subscriptions and points. Not to mention the bonus of getting the controller free if that carries over to the US as well.

$50 controller combo doesn't surprise me any, same cost as a 360 controller, though I'm not sure about the marketing involved with packaging them separately, other than keeping consumer repair costs down if one of them breaks. Seems like it could cause some confusion.

And I think I'll be a bit skeptical about Zelda being delayed when it will be a launch title on 12/2 in Japan.

It is what it is, but I still don't see why Nintendo would schedule an invite-only press conference and then release info to the press before that press conference.

Thank goodness for my huge Wii fund at EB.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Thanks Scorch, you made my day by not making me browse all around ^_^![/QUOTE]

QFT. Anyone who wants to look at the OP, deny that the NYT is a credible newssource and that different information will come out later today is a fool.

It's not the best price expected, but it's still good. Then again, I didn't read anything about VC pricing, so maybe that explains why I'm not yet bothered.

[quote name='evanft']The price is absolutely awful.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

I think in 6 months when xbox 360 has a price drop to 249 and 349 tha the wii will be even harder to sell.

A slightly better cube for 250?
I would consider all CAGs "hardcore gamers" and if it doesnt sound good to us.. then the NON GAMERS that they want buying there system wont even think of it.

The only positive for nintendo is the release date. They will have plenty of Wii's and Zero ps3's on store shelfs.....

[quote name='Skelah']All I can say is reguardless if ur a fan of sony nintendo or microsoft you can all share that the companys DID all lie to you so nintendo fans can get off there high horse.[/QUOTE]

Um, what? To my knowledge, Nintendo has been nothing but honest (if not a little secretive) about this system. I think you're confusing "lie" with "not living up to the Internet's wild rumor machine."

I'm in at launch, no problems. Hopefully we get a little clarification on the US launch from Reggie today. :)

I'm pretty sure that we usually get things cheaper than Japan usually, no? If Japan's is ~$215 USD, I'd expect ours to be $199.

Here's the thing, how would NYT know? Nintendo didn't secretly release the information or anything. Read Matt Cass's blog at IGN. He seems generally excited to find out this information, and if IGN doesn't know, why would NYT?

I guess we'll see in a few hours. If NYT is accurate, it looks like we'll be paying for that Wii sports pack-in with the purchase price.

[quote name='evilmax17']I'm pretty sure that we usually get things cheaper than Japan usually, no? If Japan's is ~$215 USD, I'd expect ours to be $199.[/QUOTE]

No, it's always been the other way around.

I just wanted to type and overveiw:

Console:$249.99
Comes with Nintendo's Wii console will come packaged with one Wii remote, one nunchuck attachment, an AC adapter, an audio/video cable, a sensor bar, sensor bard stand, a Wii console stand and two batteries and Wii Sports.

Games: 1st Party:$49.99
3rd Party:$?????

VC Details: NES: $5
SNES:$8
N64:$10

Accessories: Wiimote: $40
Nunchuck: $20
Classic controller: $20
Memory card: ???

ALSO, from IGN

n a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a living room centerpiece by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wii will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updated news and weather channels. In addition, the system will ship with the Opera Web browser, enabling users to connect online. One of the channels available on Wii is called the "Mii Channel." Here, players can customize avatars by selecting from a variety of face shapes, hair styles, color schemes, and so on. The hook is that these avatars can not only be stored on the console itself, they can also be transfered to the Wii remote itself -- presumably so players can easily access their personalized characters and take them with them when playing against friends.

I guess I really don't understand the negativity in here. What? You're pissed because the system doesn't cost $10? If everyone had just been rational and not bought in to the Internet's many rumors, we'd be set.

I'm too lazy to go look for proof, but I know several of the people moaning about the price at E3 time were saying "$250 with a pack-in game I hope!!!!" There you have it.

Those of you holding out, hopefully some CAGs can get some good hands onimpressions when it launches to help you decide if it's worth the inital asking price or if you should hold out.

[quote name='daroga']I guess I really don't understand the negativity in here. What? You're pissed because the system doesn't cost $10? If everyone had just been rational and not bought in to the Internet's many rumors, we'd be set.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:|

[quote name='daroga']I'm too lazy to go look for proof, but I know several of the people moaning about the price at E3 time were saying "$250 with a pack-in game I hope!!!!" There you have it.[/QUOTE]

Oh man! Some people thought $250 with a game was a good price, so it must be! YEAH!!!

The whole "forecast channel" stuff would appeal to me more if I actually lived in an area where you could get high-speed internet. Until then...meh.

I would believe IGN over Engadget, and IGN confirmed Wii Sports is included with 5 sports--Golf, Baseball, Tennis, Bowling, and Boxing.

Nintendo really fucked themselves very nicely.

$5 for a NES game? $45 for the controler. In Japan it launches in December and only cost $212 US dollars? There is no way Wii Sports should make the system $50 more. It better come with another control.

[quote name='David85']Nintendo really fucked themselves very nicely.

$5 for a NES game? $60 for the controler(w/nunchuck). In Japan it launches in December and only cost $212 US dollars? There is no way Wii Sports should make the system $50 more. It better come with another control.[/quote]
fixed.

Regardless of all this negative talk, I am still going to be the first into the store at launch day.

[quote name='evanft']I love how the system is cheaper in Japan. Fan-fucking-tastic.[/QUOTE]

I was thinknig the same thing. We better get two controlers and Wii Sports and Nintendo's first born child for the outragous $250. It should be $200 and then you can pick the game for $50. Wii Sports is a demo, not a game.

I think Microsoft should come out and say "In November you get the primium Xbox 360 for only $300!" That would be so great. fuck you Nintendo.

[quote name='David85']How is it $60?

$32 for the Wiimote
$15 for the thingie

That would equal $47.[/quote]
Depends on what they actually price it at. They aren't gonna sell them for $32 and $15, so it might be $30, it might be $35, who knows.

Hence Reggie in 4 hours.

bread's done
Back