Wii $250 - Nov 19th - The Nintendo 2-Day Press Event Thread!

[quote name='botticus']Depends on what they actually price it at. They aren't gonna sell them for $32 and $15, so it might be $30, it might be $35, who knows.

Hence Reggie in 4 hours.[/quote]Ign says that it is 40 for mote and 20 for chuck

[quote name='pop311']fixed.

Regardless of all this negative talk, I am still going to be the first into the store at launch day.[/quote]

Ditto.

It's still a lot more than the $25-$30 I paid this gen.

There better be two controlers in the USA. It launches AFTER the PS3, cost more than it should and is called Wii because of the two controlers.

So much for Nintendo getting everyone to play with the Wii.

[quote name='evanft']:whistle2:|

Oh man! Some people thought $250 with a game was a good price, so it must be! YEAH!!![/quote]
Well... you may not have liked it, but lots of other people did.

Sell Wii Sports on eBay or trade it in after the console's been out for a couple weeks or months when people start to buy used, and you'll get some of your money back. I figure I was going to buy Wii Sports anyway, with a $20 price tag, so that puts the console cost at $229. Which is another point people were anticipating.

I guess thinking it over the only thing I'm not thrilled with is the lack of a second controller packed-in and the date. But I have a feeling they picked that date as a result of PS3 shortages. Certainly disappointed with the pricing and whatnot, but that's the fault of my own expectations.

[quote name='David85']I think Microsoft should come out and say "In November you get the primium Xbox 360 for only $300!" That would be so great. fuck you Nintendo.[/quote]
Works for me... then Nintendo could say "Ha, just kidding... hurry, tell the retailers to change the price to $199."

Alright so I'm late to the party, hopefully things will be cleared up nicely when they announce shit in a language I can understand, but 25,000 yen in japan for the Wii without Wii Sports I assume, and the predicted $250 US is for it with Wii Sports?

Hmm... just caught this on IGN when looking for where they say the remote is $40/$20:

The event also confirmed that Nintendo would put out a separate collection of mini-games, titled Hajimete no Wii ("Starting Out With Wii"). The game compilation includes a packed-in Wii Remote (for two-player action) and features nine different minigames, such as the Duck Hunt-like demo and ping pong games shown previously. Hajimete no Wii will ship at the same time as the console on December 2 and sell for 4,800 yen.
That's $40 for another mini-game set and a remote, not bad. Basically getting a free set of mini-games when you buy a second remote.

[quote name='Plinko']The price of the console I am happy with. The fact that I will have to pay about $60 for one new controller+nunchuck (because the system does not include an extra one) infuriates me.

I know, I know...that's probably how much they cost to make, but still--$60 extra for multiplayer gaming is outrageous.

Don't even get me started on the Virtual Console prices.[/QUOTE]

Do we know that for sure yet? I know Japan only gets one controller, but they also have a lower price and no Wii Sports. I'll agree with you if that is confirmed, though. If not, $249.99 for Wii + Wii Sports + 2 controllers sounds great to me. I doubt it will happen, but I'm still trying to be optimistic. :)

[quote name='pop311']That's weird. Everyone would have LOVED $199.99, but noe everyone HATES $249.99[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know why $50 more is such a big deal. Especially when you get a free game. I must be the only one looking forward to playing Wii Sports.

[quote name='slimpip']http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/nintendo-wii-november-19th-250/

According to Engadget the console won't be shipping with Wii Sports... let's hope that their Japanese corespondent was talking about the Japan launch.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that was the case. fucking morons.

[quote name='horrido']I was hoping for a cheaper price, or two packaged controllers, but oh well. I'll still get one at launch. Does anyone know if a standard SD mem card will work? It doesnt appear to come packaged with the classic controller either - hope I'm wrong on that one.

Looks like the cheapest to get in will be...

Wii system $250
Classic controller $20
Mem card ????
Game $50

$320 plus mem card.

That stings, but I still want one.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't it have like 512mb built in or something? So you don't NEED a memory card. Plus, it isn't really fair to say you NEED a game when it comes with one. It's not like it's a PS2 or all the other systems where you absolutely HAVE to buy a game and a memory card with it. And I don't know why everyone is going nuts over how much the controller costs. It'll be about the same as the 360 controller. And considering what you get in the Wii controller compared to the 360 controller, that's a pretty reasonable price.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732669p1.html[/quote]
Yeah, they're just using their own conversion estimate from yen. Won't know the actual US costs till the conference, I guess.

And David, yes, it's more than you paid this gen, but so are 360 wireless controllers. And the Wii remote/nunchuk combo is a bit more complicated piece of machinery than the Wavebird (which is $35).

And it's getting way too complicated to talk about this stuff in two different threads. :D

[quote name='botticus']Hmm... just caught this on IGN when looking for where they say the remote is $40/$20:

That's $40 for another mini-game set and a remote, not bad. Basically getting a free set of mini-games when you buy a second remote.[/quote]

That's a good deal, actually--hopefully this comes to the states as well.

[quote name='botticus']Hmm... just caught this on IGN when looking for where they say the remote is $40/$20:

That's $40 for another mini-game set and a remote, not bad. Basically getting a free set of mini-games when you buy a second remote.[/QUOTE]

well i doubt it will include a nunchuck since they are sold seperatly

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']well i doubt it will include a nunchuck since they are sold seperatly[/quote]
Right, but the cost of the remote plus minigames is the cost of the remote by itself, so it's still "free"

There is a forbes article saying that Wii will launch in Japan on Dec. 2 and it will cost 25,000 yen ($212 US). Games will be priced 4,800-6,800 yen. Famcom and SNES VC are priced 1000 yen ($8.50 US) a piece. Other sites such as Mac World are reporting this as well.

Here's the link: http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/afx/2006/09/14/afx3016278.html

Rather the Wii cost $200 or $250 matters very little to me. I simply adore the NDS and feel strongly that Wii will mimick the DS in the game mechanics, ideals, and mainstream playability. The only way I feel Nintendo will fail me and others who truely want wii, is if they don't deliever on those premises alone. As for rather nintendo will win or lose the console war, I really don't care. Its been all about the games for me since 1985. Nintendo could go bankrupt tomarrow and would still have a prominent place in gaming history and a game catalogue that others would envy. All I want is an confirmed release date, Twilight Zelda, and possibly a green Wii avalible at launch. Perhaps I'm a dreamer?

Oh that reminds me... don't forget the Wii can play Gamecube games so you can trade in your gamecube if you got one.. and if you don't.. you can play old gamecube games! heh

[quote name='BryceDraven']Oh that reminds me... don't forget the Wii can play Gamecube games so you can trade in your gamecube if you got one.. and if you don't.. you can play old gamecube games! heh[/QUOTE]

well they really didnt seem to explain that at all, along with a few other details such as cd/dvd playback, any online game, region free?, Iwata mentioned before you could use external HDDs as storage is that still true

Disappointing all around - especially in that they are launching after the PS3. I guess I'll wait for a price drop. It's strange, I knew the "IT COULD LAUNCH BY TEH END OF SEPTMBAR" talk was bullshit, but I thought for sure late October/Early November.

I hope they succeed with whatever plan they have, but I also hope this isn't a harbinger of upcoming bad luck/bad press Nintendo has avoided so far.

[quote name='Scorch']Wait -- the nunchuck ISN'T included?

What the fuck?[/quote]
They're sold separately from the remote, but one is included with the console.

Yes always compare the Wii to the 360 and PS3. Nintendo has been saying how they want to be for everyone, yet another lie. And the 360 controlers are the most outragous price for a controler. $50 for a normal controler is even more crazy than the lame price for the Wii's.

[quote name='Scorch']Wait -- the nunchuck ISN'T included?

What the fuck?[/quote]

Sorry about that--I should have made sure to mention that I was talking about extra remotes.

I'm still not happy about it, though.

OK, gotcha..

It stings, yeah, but still. I dunno if I want an extra wiimote. I may get the system and ask for another nunchuck thingy for christmas. Console, a game, an extra wiimote.. $340 + tax.. maybe that 5000 point card and hope that the classic controller comes with it.. cripes, that's around $400.. what happened to more fun for less money?

Now's the time when I debate if a Gamecube with a gimmick is worth it.

[quote name='Plinko']Does anyone have any idea why they would sell the nunchuck attachment separately? That seems almost rip-offish.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but then people would be complinaing if they bundled it together saying "I didn't want this, I only wanted an extra controller for !"

It's kind of lose-lose here from a marketing stand point; you're not going to please everyone.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, but then people would be complinaing if they bundled it together saying "I didn't want this, I only wanted an extra controller for !"

It's kind of lose-lose here from a marketing stand point; you're not going to please everyone.[/quote]
Yeah, and the classic controller connects too and god knows what in the future will connect to the thing so you might not need a nunchuck all the time. Hopefully they'll have a package with the nunchuck for $5 less than separate or something though since it will probably be the most used extension.

EDIT: And what if you just chuck the fucking remote and break it, you wouldn't want to have a gajillion extra nunchucks around and pay extra when you only need a remote.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, but then people would be complinaing if they bundled it together saying "I didn't want this, I only wanted an extra controller for !"

It's kind of lose-lose here from a marketing stand point; you're not going to please everyone.[/quote]

That makes more sense. I guess for games like Monkey Ball you won't need the nunchuck.

slide72.jpg

Looks like they talked about the DS-Wii connectivity, hopefully we'll get some word on that from Reggie.

And there was something about online:
slide73.jpg

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']well they really didnt seem to explain that at all, along with a few other details such as cd/dvd playback, any online game, region free?, Iwata mentioned before you could use external HDDs as storage is that still true[/quote] What is their to explain about the built in gamecube? Under the Wii section there is a sticky called "Wii Hardware/Accessories Questions Thread" that has this picture of gamecube features on the wii:

revknow_embed002.jpg

Gamecube discs just go into a normal size DVD/CD drive on the Wii because if you have a PC.. you will notice that mini-discs fit in your CD-Drive. My friend gave me some free burnable mini-discs before, they are pretty fun.

[quote name='Scorch']OK, gotcha..

It stings, yeah, but still. I dunno if I want an extra wiimote. I may get the system and ask for another nunchuck thingy for christmas. Console, a game, an extra wiimote.. $340 + tax.. maybe that 5000 point card and hope that the classic controller comes with it.. cripes, that's around $400.. what happened to more fun for less money?

Now's the time when I debate if a Gamecube with a gimmick is worth it.[/quote]

You know, I felt the same way a couple months ago. I would be much less inclined to buy one at launch if Zelda and/or Metroid wasn't coming out. Those games alone make me want one immediately. That, and the fact that I've had one preordered since May. I've had it for this long, I might as well go for it.

Sucks that it starts at 9, my class is at 9:30 to 10:45 and I'll miss all the good shit and have to come in late again...

[quote name='Plinko']That, and the fact that I've had one preordered since May. I've had it for this long, I might as well go for it.[/quote]

I hope they ship enough of the things that a pre-order isn't necessary since I sure as hell aren't getting one otherwise...

That date is confusing the hell out of me. I'm racking my brain trying to find some logical explanation for it and I can't. I'd say that's Nintendo's biggest mistake.

The pricing and everything else so far has been in line with what they said. They said $250 or less and they stuck to it. They said $5-$10 for VC games and they kept to that too. I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked by any of those.

[quote name='David85']Yes always compare the Wii to the 360 and PS3. Nintendo has been saying how they want to be for everyone, yet another lie. And the 360 controlers are the most outragous price for a controler. $50 for a normal controler is even more crazy than the lame price for the Wii's.[/QUOTE]
You know, I've always felt controllers were overpriced, even in the SNES/Genesis days. Oh well, at least you're getting an impressive piece of tech for your money with the Wii controller.

[quote name='dcfox']That date is confusing the hell out of me. I'm racking my brain trying to find some logical explanation for it and I can't. I'd say that's Nintendo's biggest mistake.

The pricing and everything else so far has been in line with what they said. They said $250 or less and they stuck to it. They said $5-$10 for VC games and they kept to that too. I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked by any of those.[/quote]

What part is confusing--the Sunday part or the part that they're releasing it after PS3?

I get the Sunday part--they released the DS and Gamecube on a Sunday, and more people are free on a Sunday to get the system. I have no problem with that.

The PS3 part I don't get, either. The ONLY thing I could think of was that A) Nintendo wanted enough time to stockpile 1-2 million consoles so everyone wanted one and B) Two days after PS3 comes out, there aren't going to be any left on shelves. Parents come in to the store looking for a video game system and find no PS3s but a few Wiis available.

[quote name='dcfox']That date is confusing the hell out of me. I'm racking my brain trying to find some logical explanation for it and I can't. I'd say that's Nintendo's biggest mistake. [/quote] What about the date? I heard from Gamespot that Nintendo always launchs their system on a Sunday.. is it because it's 2 days after PS3? Why Sunday? Because I bet a lot of kids on the weekend will drag their parents to the mall to get one. :bouncy:

On a side note, am I the only one that is actually excited for Wii Sports, especially now that bowling and boxing are confirmed for it (at least confirmed by IGN)? I think it will be a blast. I still play Monkey Bowling on Super Monkey Ball 2 constantly.

My only disappointment is that a billiards game didn't make it in. That would have been perfect.

[quote name='Plinko']The PS3 part I don't get, either. The ONLY thing I could think of was that A) Nintendo wanted enough time to stockpile 1-2 million consoles so everyone wanted one and B) Two days after PS3 comes out, there aren't going to be any left on shelves. Parents come in to the store looking for a video game system and find no PS3s but a few Wiis available.[/QUOTE]

When you think about it, it really is genius, because they'll not only be selling to the people who want a Wii, but they will sell to the people who will buy a new gaming system to shut up their little bastards who have been clamoring for a PS3, which can't be found anywhere.

(It could backfire in the sense of "well, this is available everywhere and the PS3 isn't, so that must mean nobody wants the Wii," though I don't expect it; they need lotsa marketing aimed at parents - tech demos on the Today Show and shit, and instore demos showing how accessible and badass it really is).

[quote name='mykevermin']
(It could backfire in the sense of "well, this is available everywhere and the PS3 isn't, so that must mean nobody wants the Wii," though I don't expect it; they need lotsa marketing aimed at parents - tech demos on the Today Show and shit, and instore demos showing how accessible and badass it really is).[/quote]

I don't think parents go through that kind of reasoning, there's no limit to the awful unwanted shit parents buy to shut up their kids :p.

[quote name='Plinko']On a side note, am I the only one that is actually excited for Wii Sports, especially now that bowling and boxing are confirmed for it (at least confirmed by IGN)? I think it will be a blast. I still play Monkey Bowling on Super Monkey Ball 2 constantly.

My only disappointment is that a billiards game didn't make it in. That would have been perfect.[/quote]
Nah, I've been excited about it since I saw tennis. Mostly cause I have no one to play tennis with, so even if it's a crappy simulation, I can go with the outrageous overexaggerated arm movements and pretend I'm playing for real. :D

[quote name='SpazX']I don't think parents go through that kind of reasoning, there's no limit to the awful unwanted shit parents buy to shut up their kids :p.[/quote]

I.e., the massive quantity of horrible video games based on children's movies that are sold each year.

My theory? Nintendo found out that my last exam ever, as long as I live (and one I've been studying for for two months already) is on November 17th. If it was released prior to then, I will fail the exam.

Thank you, Reggie. I'll let you choose the Cabernet at Thanksgiving this year.

Damn, I was hoping to have 2 wiimotes packed in if they went with the $250 price point. I'll probably be passing on this one at launch since you are looking at $250 + $50 for one game + $60 for a 2nd controller (w/ a 2nd nunchuk attachment) One nice point is that I already have quite a few SD cards so no extra expense there.

$360 + tax is too rich for my blood, probably. Maybe once there are a nice crop of good games that have dropped in price.

[quote name='SpazX']I went back to gwn, they might have a feed of a broadway show or something though....[/quote]
My God that was awful last night. I hope GWN didn't have any credibility to start with.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs[/quote] Pogs and 3rd Edition (+Ice Age) Magic the Gathering... that is what was cool back in my day. My Force of Nature owned them all.. back in the day when a 8/8 was god. Now a days, you can make a Inf/Inf creature that can 1 hit kill anything. :cool:

bread's done
Back