Wii 3rd Party component cable $16.xx shipped

gkrykewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Relevant because of news from Nintendo that official 1st party component cables will cost 29.99 and only be available online. 3rd party cables will be available in stores no doubt, but this is a decent deal.

From cduniverse.com:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7308187&style=games&cart=412500890&BAB=D

Add a Wii classic controller (19.59) or something else to qualify for the still-available Google checkout 10 off 30. I ordered the component cable plus classic controller for (I think) $27.37 shipped.

I was extremely disappointed by the quality of a 360 VGA cable I got from Pelican! I'd warn against this purchase, or in the very least make sure you can return the product open box! Also I have a feeling that gamecube cabling will probably be compatible with the Wii. So you may just want to wait for that reason.

[quote name='animemaniac14']why would you honestly NEED a component cable for the Wii? it's not going to be high def or anything...or is it?[/QUOTE]

It goes 480p, and the difference in quality between composite and component is night and day. I'll be ordering one, just the official version.:cool:

[quote name='animemaniac14']why would you honestly NEED a component cable for the Wii? it's not going to be high def or anything...or is it?[/quote]

Because the difference between composite and component is huge, regardless of if the system is HD or not.

[quote name='Plinko']Because the difference between composite and component is huge, regardless of if the system is HD or not.[/QUOTE]

DAMN skippy!

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Also I have a feeling that gamecube cabling will probably be compatible with the Wii. So you may just want to wait for that reason.[/QUOTE]

Nope, cables are confirmed to be incompatible. If it sucks, I'll sell it. I can't believe that a difference would be noticable at 480p. Worth the risk for a $15 savings IMO.

As for the component cables from the GC working for the Wii, I don't think that'll be the case. The GC components only have the RGB cables, you needed the gamecube's regular AV cables for sound...

[quote name='chair_home']As for the component cables from the GC working for the Wii, I don't think that'll be the case. The GC components only have the RGB cables, you needed the gamecube's regular AV cables for sound...[/QUOTE]

It's already been confirmed that NO gamecube cables (either multi-out or the digital-out/component) will work on Wii. It prints money! (for them).

[quote name='Plinko']Because the difference between composite and component is huge, regardless of if the system is HD or not.[/quote]Exactly.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Nope, cables are confirmed to be incompatible. If it sucks, I'll sell it. I can't believe that a difference would be noticable at 480p. Worth the risk for a $15 savings IMO.[/quote]

Yes, that would be true if the company was let's say Logitech or Monster, or some other reputable company, but Pelican builds their products with very low grade components. IMO, not worth the savings at all.

I'm buying the official cables for sure. I have my PS2 and Xbox hooked up through a multi-system component cable and the 'Cube through the official (and only) component cable. The Gamecube looks far superior to any game on the other two, pretty much no matter what I'm playing. I'm guessing it's because the third party PS2 and Xbox cable is low quality, but it's cheap and convenient.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'm buying the official cables for sure. I have my PS2 and Xbox hooked up through a multi-system component cable and the 'Cube through the official (and only) component cable. The Gamecube looks far superior to any game on the other two, pretty much no matter what I'm playing. I'm guessing it's because the third party PS2 and Xbox cable is low quality, but it's cheap and convenient.[/QUOTE]

No dude, it's because the Gamecube cable setup was superior. In concept it was stupid, but it yielded a great cable. The system output a digital signal from that video out jack, which was converted to analog by a chip in the cable.

[quote name='dragonjud']Yes, that would be true if the company was let's say Logitech or Monster, or some other reputable company, but Pelican builds their products with very low grade components. IMO, not worth the savings at all.[/QUOTE]

Monster? Are you kidding me? Anyone who is suckered into buying monster cables should have their CAG membership revoked. These are component/rca cables, not VGA, not HDMI, etc. There's no way pelican (or any other generic manufacturer) can possibly screw them up. A quality difference wouldn't come into play unless the cables were very long. In my educated opinion, it will be fine. I have a Mad Catz component cable for 360, and the signal is pristine at 720p. At 480p, it's not even a question.

[quote name='Z-Saber']So even if I had Monster Cables or whatever, the Xbox and PS2 still wouldn't look as good as my Gamecube?[/QUOTE]

In general, that's right (IMO). You might have some extra degredation as a result of using a universal cable, but it's nothing to do with the brand. The gamecube's image quality from the digital-out port was/is tremendous.

[quote name='gkrykewy']I can't believe that a difference would be noticable at 480p. Worth the risk for a $15 savings IMO.[/QUOTE]

Have you even tested 480i vs 480p? By that I mean, have it on 480i and then switch it to 480p? Its really a huge difference. Playing God of war on 480i vs 480p is really night and day. You have to turn the pro scan on in the options, so sometimes I started the game on 480i and it really makes you cringe.

The same can be said about halo. I had my friends xbox connected via s video then mine connected by component. We would just switch back between svideo and component and we could literally see stuff that we didnt see before.

The difference between 480i and 480p is much more noticeable than 480p and 720p. Yeah, its not HD but atleast its still ED(enhanced definition).

[quote name='pinoy530']Have you even tested 480i vs 480p? By that I mean, have it on 480i and then switch it to 480p? Its really a huge difference. Playing God of war on 480i vs 480p is really night and day. You have to turn the pro scan on in the options, so sometimes I started the game on 480i and it really makes you cringe.

The same can be said about halo. I had my friends xbox connected via s video then mine connected by component. We would just switch back between svideo and component and we could literally see stuff that we didnt see before.

The difference between 480i and 480p is much more noticeable than 480p and 720p. Yeah, its not HD but atleast its still ED(enhanced definition).[/QUOTE]

No, you misunderstand me. The difference between 480i and 480p is enormous; I absolutely agree. I meant that at a resolution of 480p, the difference between the official (presumably 'higher grade') component cable and the pelican (or any other generic cable) will be negligible or nonexistent. Common knowledge is that such quality issues only begin to come into play when the cable has to carry higher bandwidth (i.e. 720p or 1080i) or is really long (i.e. 15 ft +) to the degree that the signal might degrade.

[quote name='gkrykewy']No dude, it's because the Gamecube cable setup was superior. In concept it was stupid, but it yielded a great cable. The system output a digital signal from that video out jack, which was converted to analog by a chip in the cable.[/QUOTE]
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks, I needed a laugh!

[quote name='gkrykewy']Monster? Are you kidding me? Anyone who is suckered into buying monster cables should have their CAG membership revoked. These are component/rca cables, not VGA, not HDMI, etc. There's no way pelican (or any other generic manufacturer) can possibly screw them up. A quality difference wouldn't come into play unless the cables were very long. In my educated opinion, it will be fine. I have a Mad Catz component cable for 360, and the signal is pristine at 720p. At 480p, it's not even a question.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with you that Monster is a racket, you would definitely want to spend more on component cables -- as they are carrying an analog signal -- over DVI or HDMI, which carry a digital signal that either arrives or doesn't.

Anyone who buys a Monster DVI or HDMI cable is a moron. ;)
Anyway, I'll spend a little bit more to get the offical Nintendo cables.

[quote name='animemaniac14']why would you honestly NEED a component cable for the Wii? it's not going to be high def or anything...or is it?[/QUOTE]
Obviously you have not seen them in comparison. Trust me, if you have component inputs on your television you NEED to take advantage of them.

As for this news that Nintendo won't be including Component cables... WHAT? I had heard earlier news that they would be included as a dual Composite/Component cable, like on the 360 :bomb:

[quote name='Doom5']Great deal, thanks for posting this! I needed component cables and a classic controller.[/QUOTE]

Yay, I helped someone.

[quote name='Flashburb']Thanks, I needed a laugh![/QUOTE]

Har har. But seriously, what part are you disagreeing with? The quality may be debatable, but the technical aspects are not (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-691598.html). QUALITATIVELY, I've had better image quality on my gamecube than my PS2 at 480p, and if he's comparing GC games in progressive scan to 480i PS2 games over component, it's no contest.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Nope, cables are confirmed to be incompatible. If it sucks, I'll sell it. I can't believe that a difference would be noticable at 480p. Worth the risk for a $15 savings IMO.[/quote]

the problem was with reflections in the cable, with some faint doubling of the image. hopefully you'll have a better experience than me.

[quote name='Bananaboi4']Anyone know if there's going to be a VGA cable like the one for the 360? I'd like to use my monitor for the Wii[/quote]

I wish, but nothing's announced and it's probably unlikely it ever will be. Some HDTVs accept VGA, but since the Wii isn't HD there won't be a need for a VGA cable.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I wish, but nothing's announced and it's probably unlikely it ever will be. Some HDTVs accept VGA, but since the Wii isn't HD there won't be a need for a VGA cable.[/quote] Wii does offer progressive scan, however. I'll be connecting mine to my monitor via a component to VGA transcoder.

When I first saw this thread, I was thinking "yay component cables that could be compatible with my gamecube!" Sadly, it looks like these component cables won't work with my gamecube that has the digial output port or am I reading this wrong?

Buying Monster really depends on what type of cable you buy...

If you buy monster svideo they surprisnly end up almost like component... Which for gamecube is a great buy...

Monster cables for speaker hookups is a decent buy too...

For component, usually wise to use monoprice, they have great compoenent for way less then monster.

HDMI? Doesn't really matter.

You shouldn't really bash peopel who buy Monster products. Monster is made of high quality substances, the only question is, do you need it?

Do you need to spend $100 on component when you can spend $20 at monoprice and get nearly the same damn thing?

The answer for most people is no.

But monster is a great deal for gamecube cables at $20, versus $100 for ebay cables......

[quote name='AdultLink']You shouldn't really bash peopel who buy Monster products. Monster is made of high quality substances, the only question is, do you need it?

Do you need to spend $100 on component when you can spend $20 at monoprice and get nearly the same damn thing?

The answer for most people is no.

But monster is a great deal for gamecube cables at $20, versus $100 for ebay cables......[/quote]

Monster is not high quality wire. If you want quality, you can get broadcast quality wire and connectors made by Belden and Canare for less $$ than monster. As someone with an ISF calibrated CRT HDTV(lcd = blah for color accuracy and black levels), I'll tell you that the quality of cables really makes no difference. The only time I've ever seen cables make a difference in quality is cheap VGA cables vs well shielded VGA cables with ferrites running at high refresh rates.

[quote name='AdultLink']If you buy monster svideo they surprisnly end up almost like component... Which for gamecube is a great buy...[/QUOTE]

No, it's a terrible buy. The main point of GC component is that it enables progressive scan through the digital out port, which cannot be approximated by any s-video cable.

[quote name='Doom5']Monster is not high quality wire. If you want quality, you can get broadcast quality wire and connectors made by Belden and Canare for less $$ than monster. As someone with an ISF calibrated CRT HDTV(lcd = blah for color accuracy and black levels), I'll tell you that the quality of cables really makes no difference. The only time I've ever seen cables make a difference in quality is cheap VGA cables vs well shielded VGA cables with ferrites running at high refresh rates.[/QUOTE]

This man speaks truth. Another secret: composite (yellow/red/white) cables are exactly the same thing as component (red/green/blue/red/white). It's just 5 RCA cables vs. 3. If you're not dealing with a multi-out port on one end (i.e. a game system), they're interchangeable.

[quote name='trevor2001']why is the MadCatz component cable $60 on EB?[/quote]

It's a place holder price. The official nintendo cables will be $29.99 from their site. Pelican's cables should be $19.99 MSRP, and I'd assume the Madcatz cables will be released with the same MSRP.

Monster is not high quality wire. If you want quality, you can get broadcast quality wire and connectors made by Belden and Canare for less $$ than monster. As someone with an ISF calibrated CRT HDTV(lcd = blah for color accuracy and black levels), I'll tell you that the quality of cables really makes no difference. The only time I've ever seen cables make a difference in quality is cheap VGA cables vs well shielded VGA cables with ferrites running at high refresh rates.
I totally agree with everything you just said, lots of poeple get suckered into buying high end cables which are exactly the same except for price.

Along with the fact that I have an ISF calibrated CRT RPTV as well and there is no comparison, it's so much better than any consumer grade Plasma/DLP/LCD. Best picture you can currently get without going with a front projector.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I was extremely disappointed by the quality of a 360 VGA cable I got from Pelican! I'd warn against this purchase, or in the very least make sure you can return the product open box! Also I have a feeling that gamecube cabling will probably be compatible with the Wii. So you may just want to wait for that reason.[/quote]

I also was disappointed with the quality of Pelican brand cables for a GameCube S-cable and a couple others, also Pelican brand. Even though they were cheap at EB, the reception was not good - rolly pixels. Pelican is the one 3rd party brand I avoid for a/v type cables.

[quote name='munch']It goes 480p, and the difference in quality between composite and component is night and day. I'll be ordering one, just the official version.:cool:[/quote]

Same here. I won't let the same thing happen like with the gamecube.

bread's done
Back