Wii capabilities beyond what you've ever dreamed possible

Wow, though I've seen similar demos before, this is extremely impressive. I could see this working very well with a game like Endless Ocean.

It's a pretty cool tech demo, but I'm not so sure about how practical something like this would be...

damn good video though.

This is incredible. Can you imagine this technology being used in interactive mystery games like Myst? I might be crazy but, it seems like looking for "stuff" would be more fun this way.

Imagine the lives lost due to people trying to look through their tv screens during fast paced games!

Really though, how do people come up with this stuff?

seriously, this guy needs to be hired by Nintendo's R&D department quick. Either that or Nintendo needs to take his ideas and then file a cease and desist order to stop experimenting on their technology without authorization. If it was Sony, they would sue this guys ass for trying to mess with the 6 axis...but Nintendo, with them trying to be on very good terms with it's customers won't do this.

Uh, this guy isn't as innovative as a lot of you seem to believe. This technology has existed for years, and is commercially available and compatible with numerous commercial PC games (nearly 100), right now:
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

I've been using a TrackIR system with Microsoft Flight Simulator for quite a few months now. I'm really surprised that so few of you have heard of this.

Some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMKtkPR0idY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ZXKiKoW0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSuR_aP834o

Edit:
On a related subject, I've been trying to save up for a Novint Falcon. Imagine TrackIR, as seen in the above Youtube video with Battlefield, combined with this. I am convinced that this would be the coolest gaming experiance possible, and I'm dying to try it out.

Not new, but great that they already basically have the technology in the Wii and it could easily be used for some kickass games. All they'd need to sell is an LED headset and a stand for the remote.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, this guy isn't as innovative as a lot of you seem to believe. This technology has existed for years, and is commercially available and compatible with numerous commercial PC games (nearly 100), right now:[/quote]
The point is that he is using the Wii's existing hardware to implement this, not that he invented the technology behind it.

[quote name='yukine']The point is that he is using the Wii's existing hardware to implement this, not that he invented the technology behind it.[/QUOTE]
But he's not actually doing anything different than what the Wii already does.

Also, the fact that this can be done for under $50.00. TrackIR is selling a similar device for $180 and that device cannot ALSO be used to play existing console games, in addition to cool stuff like the demo that he created. I doubt Nintendo will do anything like this(maybe in the Wii 2/SuperWii).

I'm really impressed with this guy, I wish I had any sort of tech skill to experiment with this stuff. And that TrackIR site has some cool videos to see this technology put to use.

[quote name='yukine']The point is that he is using the Wii's existing hardware to implement this, not that he invented the technology behind it.[/QUOTE]

This dude has a couple more videos where he uses the Wiimote for a Minority Report finger tip control thing and also a desktop interface with a projector. There might be more but he does a lot of crap with IR.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']But he's not actually doing anything different than what the Wii already does.[/quote]
Mabey But I don't think anyone else thought to use the wii for 3D imersion. This blows wii fit out of the water.

That's awesome. If Nintendo releases a little gadget headset (with the way they're releasing accessories, I don't see why not) then they could seriously keep the Wii fresh for the rest of its life with this technology if they make some games for it. Amazing!

I don't see the point in criticizing him because "this has been done before." Most things have been done before. The person who simplifies and promotes the product/service is going to be the one that is successful. Apple would be a great example of taking an existing technology and bringing it into the mainstream.

They need to take this to the Wii right now before all the consoles that are being sold right now are seen in eb games.

Not to be a downer, but I don't think this could really improve my gaming experience...in fact it might make my gaming experience more annoying forcing me to move around to see certain stuff for most genres.

Neat idea, but I doubt it'd be fun past the first hour of using it, BUT then again maybe developers could finally get off their asses and actually prove me wrong.

I really think Nintendo should think about combining true VR head sets and the wii mote though for an awesomely engaging first person experience...it might just make me want to try out Metroid Prime again.

See, the thing about IR tracking is that it's really only fun and useful in a situation where you're stationary, and are just tilting your head around; something like a flight simulator, to look around the cockpit, for instance. It's really, really not useful at all in FPSes, and just makes things difficult, cumbersome, and game-breakingly imprecise.

And the idea of walking around a room as input control for a game, sorry, but it's just totally impractical as a control method. Okay, so I'm playing Metroid Prime by walking around my room. I've got a few feet I can move in any direction...and then what? It's really not terribly useful at all.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']See, the thing about IR tracking is that it's really only fun and useful in a situation where you're stationary, and are just tilting your head around; something like a flight simulator, to look around the cockpit, for instance. It's really, really not useful at all in FPSes, and just makes things difficult, cumbersome, and game-breakingly imprecise.

And the idea of walking around a room as input control for a game, sorry, but it's just totally impractical as a control method. Okay, so I'm playing Metroid Prime by walking around my room. I've got a few feet I can move in any direction...and then what? It's really not terribly useful at all.[/quote]

It's not going to be good in a tiny room in which you can only walk a few feet.

Imagine a huge room and huge projector screen and playing some tennis by running around the court.

[quote name='paddlefoot']I don't see the point in criticizing him because "this has been done before." Most things have been done before. The person who simplifies and promotes the product/service is going to be the one that is successful. Apple would be a great example of taking an existing technology and bringing it into the mainstream.[/quote]
Reminds me of when Bill Gates was down playing the Nintendo Wii Remote's old-fangled technology before it launched. He said something like, we tried that, it didn't work, it's too difficult to use, people won't want it.

[SIZE=-1]Success is littered with failed companies that had innovative technology.[/SIZE]

[quote name='pittpizza']Just imagine the view you could get up Ashley's miniskirt from RE4 with this thing.[/quote]

True dat.

Or imagine how awesome screensavers could look!

But as far as games go, count me out plz!

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']It's not going to be good in a tiny room in which you can only walk a few feet.

Imagine a huge room and huge projector screen and playing some tennis by running around the court.[/QUOTE]
Okay, yeah, I can totally picture having a setup just like that in every home in America. :/

How about just going and playing Tennis, in that case?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Okay, yeah, I can totally picture having a setup just like that in every home in America. :/

How about just going and playing Tennis, in that case?[/quote]

I'm not talking about having one in the home; think arcade or fun center or something.

Holy shit man, if you don't like tennis use your imagination.

bread's done
Back