Wii Component Cables- 19.90

[quote name='icruise']Are these first-party?[/QUOTE]

The $19.99 MSRP tells me no. I think the consensus is to stick with the $30 official first-party cables.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess. But Overstock usually has alot of stuff cheaper, so it's possible.

"What I want to know is why many places show a 44.99 MSRP for the wiimote. It's supposed to be 39.99, right?"

A lot of places just put placeholder prices and may not have updated. The MSRP is $39.99 for the WiiMote and $19.99 for the Nunchuck. The S in MSRP stands for suggested though so you may see different prices.

This + google checkout would be awesome if we knew it to be first party.

Trying to get that information out of Overstock employees might make us shoot blood clear out of our eyes.

I don't know if this has been answered before since I normally don't look at anything gamecube/wii-related, but do the wii component cables work with the gamecube?

[quote name='chaarlieee']I don't know if this has been answered before since I normally don't look at anything gamecube/wii-related, but do the wii component cables work with the gamecube?[/QUOTE]

No.

Otherwise you could use GC component on the Wii.

But they changed it into an all-in-one cable like the PS2's, where the audio and RGB cables are all in the same port.

That's the shortest answer.

Technically you could argue that because the Wii is BC with all GC games, it "allows" usage with the GC, but that's a pretty weak argument of course.

[quote name='gofishn']It still burns me to actually have to pay for these on top of the $250 I'll be paying for the system.[/QUOTE]

I was pissed at first, but seeing how the $600 PS3 doesn't come with them either makes it seem trivial.

[quote name='Corvin']I was pissed at first, but seeing how the $600 PS3 doesn't come with them either makes it seem trivial.[/quote] Sort of. Although I'm more in the camp of this is annoying that Nintendo did it and compeltely inexcusable that Sony did it. A simple all-in-one cable would've been the best way to go for both systems. :roll:

[quote name='purduealum91']Hey gang,

Can I use my wavebirds with the Wii?[/QUOTE]

Yes, this has been confirmed. But probably just with GC games - not Wii games.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']The $19.99 MSRP tells me no. I think the consensus is to stick with the $30 official first-party cables.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and returns at overstock cost $$$.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Yes, this has been confirmed. But probably just with GC games - not Wii games.[/QUOTE]

Actually they've said that Smash Bros. will be designed to use the gamecube controller and not the wii remote. Don't know about any others right now though.

[quote name='Strell']This + google checkout would be awesome if we knew it to be first party.

Trying to get that information out of Overstock employees might make us shoot blood clear out of our eyes.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why first party matters in this case. The Wii only outputs in 480p so it's not like there's going to be any signal drop off between first party or third party cables.

If we were talking PS3 or 360, I'd say go with the first party stuff, but in this case the cheaper the better.

[quote name='Badgun']I'm not sure why first party matters in this case. The Wii only outputs in 480p so it's not like there's going to be any signal drop off between first party or third party cables.

If we were talking PS3 or 360, I'd say go with the first party stuff, but in this case the cheaper the better.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. I'm not a huge technophile by any means, visual or audio.

That said, I tend to err on the side that anything third party sucks when it comes to accessories. Kinda pompous, sure, but I like to be safe. And I'll throw a few extra bucks to get that satisfaction.

That said, they'd make a nice backup set for traveling purposes.

Being the ignorant soul I am, would there be honest differences in, say, a Nintendo branded cable vs. a Monster one vs. generic one vs. Mad Katz/Intec/Pelican?

[quote name='Strell']
Being the ignorant soul I am, would there be honest differences in, say, a Nintendo branded cable vs. a Monster one vs. generic one vs. Mad Katz/Intec/Pelican?[/quote]
yes. the difference would be that with Monster, you've basically elected to allow someone to reach their hand way up your a** and tug on your cerebellum, to the tune of Shameless Rip-Off.

i generally stick with 1st party accessories, and for the most part, they've proven themselves to be much more consistent in quality and "fit & finish". there are exceptions, and if you've got a receipt and reasonable return policy (from wherever you've bought them), 3rd party stuff can be worth a shot.

[quote name='allyourblood']yes. the difference would be that with Monster, you've basically elected to allow someone to reach their hand way up your a** and tug on your cerebellum, to the tune of Shameless Rip-Off.[/QUOTE]

That's not really answering my question. I never buy Monster stuff.

I'm trying to find out what is the difference from getting, for example, an HDMI generic brand cable from monoprice.com versus going to Best Buy and having them fuck me over with an expensive cable?

If all it is is a question of money, then is the answer "why bother with what is expensive" ?

Edit: Ahhh. Your second paragraph/addition helps more. I appreciate it!

[quote name='Strell']I'm trying to find out what is the difference from getting, for example, an HDMI generic brand cable from monoprice.com versus going to Best Buy and having them fuck me over with an expensive cable?[/quote]

i own 3 HDMI cables: one is a $129.99 cable, originally bought from Best Buy, but bought used, by me, for $5. another came with my upconverting DVD player, and the 3rd came from monoprice (for... i forget, like 6-7 bucks?). they are identical in image quality, on my 50-inch HDTV. zero difference.

however, to answer your question more specifically, in regards to video cables (for consoles), i sometimes find considerable difference in image quality when comparing 1st party to 3rd party stuff. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all adhere to a pretty rigid standard of quality in their video cables: neat and clean connections, smooth and accurately-molded plastic and finish, and quality components and internals (soldering, wire gauge, etc.).

while that is sometimes true for accessories from Mad Catz, Pelican, Intec, etc, the quality and craftsmanship isn't nearly as uniform. you'll find thinner wires, weaker solder joints, sloppy casing and awkward design (though that's not necessarily a "deal breaker"). by creating so many different solutions for so many different consoles, they spread their engineering/design budget a little thin (read: maximise profit), and the end-products often reflect this. even so, i still buy generic stuff, since sometimes, their cutting corners doesn't really make much difference in the end. if it sucks, it goes right back.

All hdmi and dvi cables are the same. It's straight digital, so there is no way 1's and 0's can look any better from one cable to the next. Don't let the Best Buy guy tell you any different. I've used monoprice many times; they're perfect.

Component cables are a slightly different story, but I still wouldn't go with the Monster Cables. The markup is way too high one what is more or less a negligible difference for most people.

Digital signals (HDMI) are harder to fuck up

Analog connections(composite ,component ,vga) can be affected by the quality of the contacts and conductor.

I'd imagine there wont be a noticeable difference between the off brand and the 1st party but only hands on test can tell the truth.

[quote name='Corvin']I was pissed at first, but seeing how the $600 PS3 doesn't come with them either makes it seem trivial.[/quote]
Yah, but at least you can use the PS2 component cable with the PS3.

[quote name='ToddG15']Yah, but at least you can use the PS2 component cable with the PS3.[/QUOTE]

And you could use the same cables from the SNES to the N64 to the GameCube. Eventually, it's time for a change.

As others have said, Monster cables are ridiculous, especially for HDMI and DVI, which carry a digital signal. They're still overkill for analog connections like component. That said, I wouldn't feel comfortable going with a third party component cable (except for maybe Monster, if the price wasn't outrageous) for the GameCube or Wii. Worst case scenario, I'll pick up a third party cable off the shelf on launch day and return it after getting my OEM cable online.

I personally have done my own tests with the monster svideo cables for game cube and ps2. compared to the mad catz or other 3rd party brands. The monster cable wins hands down, now I don't pay full price usually buy them used. Now, I don't know if there is a big difference between 1st party and monster.

Pricing aside, is there any way to actually have any Wii component cables for launch? I'd really like to have these for the first time I fire up the system.

[quote name='deouble9s']Pricing aside, is there any way to actually have any Wii component cables for launch? I'd really like to have these for the first time I fire up the system.[/QUOTE]

That's the question everyone's asking and no one has the answer to. Like I said, it is safe to assume that third party component cables will be there on launch day, if not before. So at worst you can use those to tide you over.

There are other issues to consider than whether or not a cable will have delterious effects on a signal. Build quality comes to mind- if the weight of the ferrite core pulls wires out of place and it breaks, well, that's not good. Things of that nature were pretty common with the cheapest of the cheap ps2 component cables.

These are made by Pelican, as long as they plug into the Wii output, it will be the same as 1st party. When you're talking 3-5ft, a cable is a cable. When you start running something 30+ ft then you can spend some more money. Things like signal loss and electrical interference come into play. In the case of component, if its not a proprietary plug at one end use a little effort and make your own cables. Use coax, terminating them with RCA connectors. Thats all the shielding you'll need.

[quote name='jm2u']These are made by Pelican, as long as they plug into the Wii output, it will be the same as 1st party. When you're talking 3-5ft, a cable is a cable...[/quote]

i have some 3rd party cables i've bought for past systems that would definitely beg to differ.

Anyone who preordered these from Overstock (like myself) might want to check out the status of their order. When I put in my order, the expected ship date was within a day or two of launch. Now when I check the status on it:

"Presale, expected to ship 02/15/2007"

No way in Joses am I waiting 3 months for it.

[quote name='JOELPATRICK']It says it won't ship until 2/17/07, but this is a problem I've been finding. Eb has them shipping out on 12/15, here but they're $30. Looks like I'll have to play through composite cables for a while. I read from a few sources that the component cables are only going to be available online for some weird reason.
[/QUOTE]

That's old news. The latest (from Perrin Kaplan...oy vey) is that first party component cables will be available at B&M Best Buy, EB/GS, and Circuit City on launch day. We shall see. And yes, they will retail for $29.99.

[quote name='Tybee']That's old news. The latest (from Perrin Kaplan...oy vey) is that first party component cables will be available at B&M Best Buy, EB/GS, and Circuit City on launch day. We shall see. And yes, they will retail for $29.99.[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

[quote name='jm2u']These are made by Pelican, as long as they plug into the Wii output, it will be the same as 1st party.[/quote]

Your post said nothing concerning bad termination and durability issues. Maybe you haven't purchased anything from Pelican before, but workmanship is not their strong point.

[quote name='Tybee']That's old news. The latest (from Perrin Kaplan...oy vey) is that first party component cables will be available at B&M Best Buy, EB/GS, and Circuit City on launch day. We shall see. And yes, they will retail for $29.99.[/QUOTE]

$30 at Best Buy means $25 (after Gamers Gift Card coupon).

When I got my Xbox (2 1/2 years ago), I put a Monster Cable (I found new for $40) up against MS standard component cable and I saw a difference. It was small but detectable . . . the image was better (to my eyes) . . . so I was willing to pay $20.

Because the Xbox's prowess was greater, I decided to run my box directly into my HD set and put everything else through a system selector (cable, DVD, PS2, GC).

I don't have an HDMI input . . . but will when I get a new set (whenever that is).

Would have been nice if N had used the GC AV setup (considering Wii is not a powerhouse). But, oh well, that's what new systems are all about . . . spending loads of cash.

[quote name='jkam']Is there any way to use component cables with an LCD monitor?[/QUOTE]

sure, if your LCD has component inputs. My Dell 2405fpw does, as do many of the other high-end LCDs. Otherwise, I'm sure it's possible to buy a box that converts component to DVI or VGA. Seems kinda dumb, though :)

[quote name='vanbeast']sure, if your LCD has component inputs. My Dell 2405fpw does, as do many of the other high-end LCDs. Otherwise, I'm sure it's possible to buy a box that converts component to DVI or VGA. Seems kinda dumb, though :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree...Nintendo did mention they were going to allow you to hook it up to a PC monitor so I was thinking they would have a vga cable coming out but I haven't heard anything since that statement. My LCD doesn't have component. Ugh.

[quote name='jkam']Yeah I agree...Nintendo did mention they were going to allow you to hook it up to a PC monitor so I was thinking they would have a vga cable coming out but I haven't heard anything since that statement. My LCD doesn't have component. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

I think I read that they are going to release a VGA cable, but I can't confirm that. I'm sure someone else knows.

[quote name='vanbeast']I think I read that they are going to release a VGA cable, but I can't confirm that. I'm sure someone else knows.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo was reluctant to sell COMPONENT cables in stores. Unfortunately, the VGA cable isn't going to happen. There was apparently some quote from Iwata long ago promising the ability to connect a Wii to a monitor, but there hasn't been a peep since. VGA cable isn't going to happen.

bread's done
Back