Wii-DS connectivity

Persona7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
So what happened with this? I know Animal Crossing uses it but barely.

Am I missing out on some games that use the connectivity?

Lately I have been playing Four Swords Adventure with the GBA's and I just got another copy of FFCC. I was hoping for a DS experience similar to those games.

I know there's some connectivity with Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and Pokemon Battle Revolution. I believe you can upload your in-game Pokemon and play using the DS itself, but that's about it.

The DS and Wii version of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time can multiplay. They are actually the same game minus some difference.

I wish they would use it more often.

I should check out that DS/Wii CC game. Do you need both copies to connect to each other?

Geometry Wars has a teeny bit of connectivity.
Of course, there's that Pokémon Ranch game.

Don't forget the Nintendo Channel. Rate DS games and download DS demos...

Personal Trainer: Walking lets you send a Mii from your Wii to your DS.

It's fun on the DS. Haven't played the Wii version. I really like the multi-player part of it on the DS where you get to send out enemies on your screen to try and kill the other player on his screen.

When Nintendo was first releasing channels for the Wii I thought they would release on that would let you wirelessly link your DS to the Wii and play DS games on the TV screen, letting you use the Wii mote as the stylus and the classic controller for the buttons. It wouldn't of worked perfectly for every game but it's too bad it never happened.

It's also strange Nintendo didn't include Zelda Four Swords Adventures in the New Play Control series, letting you play with DSs instead of GBAs. It also seemed like a good idea for Square Enix to make a quick New Play Control style port of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles with the DS as the controllers. Both of those are so obvious it's hard to believe Nintendo and SE haven't done it yet.

I really wish they would do a DS/Wii remake of 4Swords. It won't happen though...

So far- the things I know work with both systems are:

Pokemon Ranch (for transfers)
Pokemon Battle Revolution (for transfers)
DS Walking Trainer (Mii Migration)
Nintendo Channel (Demo Downloads)
Animal Crossing (To migrate in your catalog and character)
Geometry Wars (You could download a DS version of the game to take with you).

[quote name='nbballard']I really wish they would do a DS/Wii remake of 4Swords. It won't happen though...[/QUOTE]
Actually it would be really cool if Nintendo did it as a preorder bonus for the next Zelda Wii game like they did with the OoT bonus disk with Wind Waker.

Good topic.

This is one of my biggest disappointments with this generation. The DS has enough power and memory that it could be used for something neat... but most dev teams seem like they don't care enough to try.

GameCube used the GBA-Cube connection sparingly because of special cables required and a much lower install base... but still had some tremendously enjoyable titles take advantage of the option. Zelda (Windwaker and Four Swords), FF:CC, Pac-Man Vs, Animal Crossing, and a couple others made good use of the connectivity. Many games provided token use, but that's still better than nothing.

It's shameful that Wii-DS connectivity hasn't seen any serious follow-through on Wii, especially since it should be easier and more flexible for both dev teams and gamers. Why isn't Pac-Man VS available on WiiWare*? Why couldn't Zelda: Four Swords be part of the New Play Control series? Why didn't Metroid Prime Trilogy allow users to download the original Metroid game as a demo for your DS?

*WiiWare in particular seems like a great place for this sort of development. Development and distribution costs are cheap, and you can sell "glorified tech demos" much easier when people are only paying a couple dollars... So far, the only WiiWare titles I know that use it are Mobashi arcade and Pokemon. Are there any others?

Oh, and don't get too excited about the Wii Final Fantasy game that allows you to play with people on DS systems. The Wii version of the game is an exact translation of the DS version, and not a centralized "host" that allows gamers to use their DS for individual controls/screens. The two systems can't even use local wireless, and must connect over the internet instead to start a game. A Wii-DS combo here behaves exactly the same way that two DS systems would.

bread's done
Back