Wii Fighting Stick from Hori ~$20

per amazon

"the stick uses digital inputs (with 8 points as on classic arcade machines and d-pad consoles) rather than the velocity-sensitive 360-degree analog input that most games of the past 2 generations of console gaming have used.

This is an old school arcade stick for old school shooting games and fighting games. It is compatible with any game that can use the Wii Classic Controller d-pad for movement (like Guilty Gear: Accent Core and most Virtual Console titles or other Wii games that are Classic Controller compatible) and is wonderful in this regard. The build quality is excellent and I expect it to outlast my Wii. It is incompatible with most 3D games in general, if you want to look at it that way, and is as horrible for platformers (old or new) as all arcade sticks inevitably are.

I researched the product for about five minutes before I went out to buy it and discovered that it would definitely NOT be compatible with Brawl"

fyi...

[quote name='adamical']So is this stick any good at all? $20 seems like a really good price.[/QUOTE]

I haven't personally spent any time with this particular stick so I can't comment. However the general consensus is that the TvC stick is far superior. This Hori stick was hovering around the 22 dollar mark over the past few weeks and I was considering it. However, the B1G1 deal from Gameshark on the TvC sticks was a better deal after the 30% coupon code.

Hori generally makes good stuff. For general use I'd say this stick will be fine. If you want to play fighting games though I'd consider getting the TvC stick. Mine arrived last night and it's pretty sweet. Gameshark is still offering the B1G1 deal, but the 30% coupon has expired.

The buttons feel a bit mushy and the stick isn't as responsive as a sanwa or seimitsu. Oh, and the PCB isn't common ground so you can't dual mod with it.

Now that said, the parts are decent enough and you can always flat out remove the Wii PCB and throw in (ie solder in) another board of your choosing. Also note that you can always swap the buttons and stick for sanwa / seimitsu goods. You have to dremel the bottom a bit to get room for a new stick, but there are tutorials for that online. (This is all optional anyway)

The fact remains that this stick is $20. For what you're getting, it's a pretty good deal (imo anyway). If you have fighters on the Wii (or a PCB/controller laying around that you can transplant) then you can't go terribly wrong at this price for venturing into the world of arcade controls.

However, I wouldn't buy this if you were planning on just buying an additional PS3 or 360 board for it, since it'd be cheaper in that case to buy a Fightstick SE.

First & foremost, I'm an avid joystick collector/fan so with that in mind...If this is the same exact stick as the PS3 version then it's horrible!!! Even at $10, I wouldn't buy it! Yes, it's that bad even for non-hardcore joystick users. Just be patient & wait for the next time Madcatz offers the 30% off promo (in addition to the B1G1 deal) since they usually have it once every 2-3 months. If you only need one stick then sell the other TvC stick on here or Craigslist b/c I guarantee you'll fine a buyer for it if you split the cost of the 2 sticks (~$42 + shipping and/or tax).

If it had a larger surface area then it wouldn't be as bad but the button layout's very awkward to the least. Also, the joystick lever has a very big deadzone. FWIW, the TvC stick utilizes Sanwa-style buttons & joystick lever which mimic the real-deal pretty close. Someone did a break down of the components (from a TvC stick) on Shoryuken awhile back & it looked/felt VERY similar to Sanwa parts....Don't do it, LOL!

bread's done
Back