Wii: Goldeneye 007 Classic Edition W/ Golden Controller = $37 after tax. Good deal?

TTGSteve

CAGiversary!
I found some sealed copies of this game that are being sold for $37 after tax. I just simply wanted the game. However, after doing some checking around on eBay, Amazon, etc... I see that the game (sealed) is going for $55 - $100. So, if you were me and you could get your hands on more copies of this game, would you buy all the sealed copies you could find?

Also, why is the game worth that much?

The game costs so much because of the gold controller. Same with the gold GameBoys and N64 controllers of yore.

The game by itself is pretty cheap to find, IIRC. If you have an eBay account or something, I would definitely grab some.

Do you think the value will hold up if I kept them and held onto them for awhile or should I resale immediately?

I realize it's dangerous to base stuff off of personal experience, but I've yet to find a Wal-Mart that still doesn't have 5-10 of these.

The game itself is dirt cheap, but the bundle has pretty much refused to drop in price for some reason. I've always assumed it had something to do with Nintendo having rules for retailers about clearancing out official accessories, but that's just a guess. In my experience, I haven't found these to be difficult to find, but they're still generally $30-40. If there's been an uptick in price for the secondary market, it's got to be directly related to Club Nintendo releasing the gold nunchuk and people wanting to complete the set. So, if anything, it may jump for a while, but I'd think there's a pretty small and finite market of people willing to overpay for the controller.

So, who knows? Probably not worth 'investing' in, though. Which is a decent rule of thumb for most game related stuff.

Thanks, 007. I went to WalMart to see if they had any copies, so I could price compare and I didn't see any at my local walmart. However, you're probably right and I shouldn't invest in it.

I bought this for about $13 at Target over a year ago in the clearance section. Maybe they were just the exception for having it at a cheaper price.

Maybe it's a PA thing, but they're definitely not in short supply here.

I was completely guessing about the clearance thing, too... I'd love to know why Wal-Mart alone seems to be refusing to drop these, since I'd totally pick a few up if they got cheap enough. Probably a case of Wal-Mart being Wal-Mart.

If people really are paying $50-100, I really do think it's what I said earlier... people who recently got a gold nunchuk and decided to complete the set without checking local availability. I mean, really, it's a 'special edition' of a game that came out 2 years ago, so it's not insane to not even bother checking stores.

To add a different viewpoint to this discussion (as I have been looking for a cheap new copy of the stand alone game for the past 6 months and have missed clearance sales), this game is practically non-existant on any of the major websites, with the final one being Amazon (albeit this is a big one).

While it's true there is a spike now on Ebay due to the holidays, I would predict the new copy value (standalone game) to hold at least to $20 (if not more) for some time. Right there alone, this would mean you are roughly getting the limited edition gold CC pro for only ~$15-16 (accounting for tax on the game), which I think is a good deal if you are a collector.

Yes, there may still be some clearance LE bundles left in the wild at places like Big Lots / TRU / Walmart, but for most of the US, online will be their only option, and they will look to the only websites left that have them (Amazon and Ebay) for their value.

If I were you, I would buy two copies, sell one sealed for around $50-65 (should be able to eventually), and then keep / sell the extra gold controller (which by itself should sell for around $15-20 easy).

bread's done
Back