Wii housings?

mastarecoil

CAGiversary!
I have a wii, but dislike it not being black and matching the rest of my components (I also dislike it not being 17" wide, but thats easier to tolerate). I am not big into gaming and accessories and all that jazz, but is it common for third parties to sell replacment housings? I figured they might have done something like this for the xbox or gamecube? I know there are stickers out there, but thats even more tacky.

If something like this were to come along, I could just get a black case and be happy. I never have been a fan of painting things, especally while they are still under warrenty. I am just trying to judge the likelyhood of some company doing this, becuase otherwise Ill probably redesign a new case (17" wide and black).

Whoa. You'll make a housing yourself? I demand updates if you go that route.

3rd parties might make housings. It's a bit early to tell. But as orimental pointed out, that would definitely void your warranty. As would taking apart a machine and painting it.

You can try decalgirl or something similar, but I've heard mixed reviews on these.

There's also the (likely) chance that black systems will appear before Christmas. I'm placing my bet on October/November, personally.

Bottomline: No housings as of now, might appear later. Other options include painting and decals. Only decals won't void your warranty.

And if you make a case, you owe the Internet pictures.

[quote name='mastarecoil']Ill probably redesign a new case (17" wide and black).[/QUOTE]

I admire your creativity, but why make it bigger than it already is?

http://www.decalgirl.com is probably your best option right now for changing the look of your Wii without voiding your warranty. As Strell noted, there are mixed reviews about the use of their products. Some people love their decals, some people hate them. I have no personal experience with them so I can't really offer an opinion either way.

I doubt it will be long before the Wii comes in different colors, so you might just want to wait until then and trade your system in for a black one. A lot of people did that when the DS Lite was released in black.

NSD central looks very promising. Thanks bezelbubba.

I still may pursue making my own case, depends how ambitious I get. I know removing the case may void my warrent, but its a lot easier to put it back togeather and pretend I did nothing than to scrape all that paint off. Its not hard to slap things back togeather and pretend I didnt touch them.

Making a case for me would not be hard, as I have access to a CNC mill and a rapid prototyper, its just time consuming. I like the idea of it being black to match the rest of my audio/video components, and 17" wide like everything else. I would also have plenty of room to move the gamecube ports to the front of the unit (or back, or maybe even Ill invent in wavebirds), and I could have the power supply integrated in the case, leaving still plenty of room for a nice big fan. Best of all, though, is it would look like this stupid little cdrom drive sitting around all my nice equipment.

bread's done
Back