Wii mini - Original Wii Redesign - Canada exclusive

cochesecochese

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I'm splitting this off from ThomasGB's original post in this thread. I think it deserves it's own thread.

All credit goes to FearMyWrench over at GAF who dug up the image of the console on BestBuy's site. Anyways I have no way of thanking him for this but here's the image, reposted:

NW9iu.jpg

I'll post more and clean this up as the story develops.

edit: Price is $99 in Canada

edit 2:
large

Best Buy blog. Internet connectivity and Gamecube compatibility have been stripped out. No word on whether internet works with an adapter.

edit 3: Canada exclusive. The hell?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can pre-order it in Canada. Looks interesting, I might buy it if its a good price. Looks like this will be available with rumored price drop on 3DS handhelds.

wiimini.jpg

I'll check with my local BB gaming buds to see if this true.

Pfffffffft. Why not throw another console into the Wii sea of confusion. Guarantee half of the Wii's sold last month were because parents thought they were buying the Wii U.

I think the Wii itself managed to sell 300k copies this week since it is so cheap now and there is a market for really inexpensive consoles. I suppose this is another way to capitalize on that.

I don't understand this. Why bother? When the other consoles downsized, the original consoles were REALLY big & they consumed a TON more electricity. I just don't get it unless its so Nintendo makes more profits off the Wii.

[quote name='CHADSTONe']Pfffffffft. Why not throw another console into the Wii sea of confusion. Guarantee half of the Wii's sold last month were because parents thought they were buying the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

[quote name='CHADSTONe']Pfffffffft. Why not throw another console into the Wii sea of confusion. Guarantee half of the Wii's sold last month were because parents thought they were buying the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

^^^^ This

Congratulations Nintendo on cannibizing Wii U sales. :booty:

[quote name='CHADSTONe']half of the Wii's sold last month were because parents thought they were buying the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

There's going to be so many disappointed kids this XMas, and so many Wii returns. Everyone knew it was a bad name for the system when they revealed it in 2011, but Nintendo was too stubborn to change it to something else.

[quote name='KanYozakura']
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png
[/QUOTE]
Yeah. He was definitely trying to be a badass right there.

It all depends on what Nintendo does with it. If Nintendo:
1) Adds HDMI output
2) Gets 1080p video (not games obviously) on steaming services working
3) Preinstalls Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/YouTube
4) Hits the $99 or less price point
5) Possibly sells a $10-ish (to cover licensing fees) app that will allow DVD playback and popular video format (h.264, etc.) support.

Well, if Nintendo did all that, they would instantly have a foothold in the set top box market. If I had the option between a $79 roku or a Wii that did all that for $20 more and played a library of games, I'm picking the Wii.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't understand this. Why bother? When the other consoles downsized, the original consoles were REALLY big & they consumed a TON more electricity. I just don't get it unless its so Nintendo makes more profits off the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding. More profits. :)

And this is clearly not aimed at us gamers for a target audience, but more for the general populace looking for a cheap and small home console. Remember the revision the NES received after the SNES was released? I look at this in a similar fashion. If anything, we as gamers shouldn't look down on it, this might be some future gamer's first console. :)

[quote name='Brak']Yeah. He was definitely trying to be a badass right there.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing, talk about fail use of a pic.

Also why is this a deal again?

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']This thing is $99 with NO INTERNET. Fail ass shit right there, folks.[/QUOTE]

Right, so no Netflix. I think a lot of Wiis ended up being a Netflix box. Like someone said maybe I'd buy it for $50, but not without WiFi.

The fact that it lacks Gamecube support makes it a no go for me. Sure there are some quality Wii games but not enough to buy a system that has the sole purpose of playing them. Without WiFi there won't even be access to Wiiware or VC games. Not sure what Nintendo was thinking with this one, maybe they're just trying to provide reasoning to keep the standard Wii's price point where it is.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Right, so no Netflix. I think a lot of Wiis ended up being a Netflix box.[/QUOTE]

And no VC. Its fuckin stupid, and I hope my neighbors to the north don't fall for this piece of garbage.

I love the form factor, but I have no use for it with a new Wii U and it's a Canadian exclusive(?).

But it really looks cool.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']$49.99 is the price I would pay for this. Chances are it'll be $99.99.[/QUOTE]

I saw in one report this morning that it would debut at $149. But now I can't find which site it was!

One or two years too late, Nintendo.

If they had released this the last couple of holiday seasons with WiFi, it probably would have sold pretty well.

1. This should have come out last year.
2. It's just going to confuse people more about the Wii U.
3. No internet connectivity? Really?
4. The form factor is really sweet.
5. Canada only? That can't be true.

This is Circle Pad Pro levels of ....I don't even know. No Gamecube support I can live with, but no online is just silly. I know there's not a lot of online gaming going on with the Wii, but Netflix is still pretty viable.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']I was hoping for a Wii XL.....bigger console equals more graphics.[/QUOTE]

A console and a coffee table, all in one!

Gamecube support has been gone for well over a year, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect that. Why add something in that you've already taken out of previous models? The no Wi-Fi thing is amazing to me though, it's the first console to do this in 6 years, and is a stupid thing to take out with how internet crazy everyone is these days... Nintendo might have gotten away with it with the launch of the Wii and possibly it's whole lifespan, but now? Silly.

Still, $99 for a home console that looks quite nice isn't so bad, especially for the average consumer. And lets face it, things like this have the potential to sell(It's interesting to see Ninty take a page from Apple's book) because it's cheap, small and looks nice. Whether or not it helps or hurts remain to be seen, though their last attempt at such a venture - Gameboy Micro - didn't do particularly well.

[quote name='Strell']1. This should have come out last year.
2. It's just going to confuse people more about the Wii U.
3. No internet connectivity? Really?
4. The form factor is really sweet.
5. Canada only? That can't be true.

This is Circle Pad Pro levels of ....I don't even know. No Gamecube support I can live with, but no online is just silly. I know there's not a lot of online gaming going on with the Wii, but Netflix is still pretty viable.[/QUOTE]

I assume this means the current $129 Wii will remain in stock for some time too.

What they need to do is drop the MSRP for the dang controllers. I was at the store last night pondering the fact that a wiimote+nunchuck was $60, while a wiimote+nunchuck+the console was only $39 more.

Just glad I got some $7 flingsmash bundles last year on a crazy sale, but the need for two more remotes and 3 nunchucks is killing me.

[quote name='LondonGaijin']Nintendo. King of the rehash/rebrand for nigh on 20+ years.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget brand-whoring. Mario has been whored more than Mickey Mouse, and has the blown out balloon knot and carpet burned knees to prove it.

Oh my god. In for 10 at this price. Wait a minute... How is this a deal. Wait, what's that I hear in the background. Is that you OP enjoying yourself for putting news on the deals section?

No internet, WTF!? How much more could that have really cost? It allows tons of cheap software to be purchased and makes way more sense to someone who may be on a budget. Boy, Nintendo can be soooooooooo clueless at times.

bread's done
Back