Wii mini - Original Wii Redesign - Canada exclusive

sure lot of garguses in this thread huh?

I'm confused by the lack of internet too. There goes the idea of using it as a steaming device.

I'd assume it just lacks Wifi and you could use a USB wired/wireless adapter but at $100+an accessory it's still too much money. I'm a big fan of mini consoles though, GENm, NESm, SNESm. :D

[quote name='confoosious']sure lot of garguses in this thread huh?

I'm confused by the lack of internet too. There goes the idea of using it as a steaming device.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I think it'll probably be a steaming device ... Yuk yuk yuk...

They should have come out with this last year when they made the Wii a default mini by taking out GC support. And not just BC, but no controller ports as well, which we use for Wii games Mario Kart and Brawl. Instead they took all of that out but kept on calling it Wii.
There are hardcore Nintendo fans who would buy this for $99 just to get a red Wiimoteplus and nunchuck combo, plus that ugly straight from heavy metal hell black and red box.
It may not have internet at all though. This whole generation has been screwing over customers. No BC or online Halo w/o a HDD on the Xbox360, removal of BC and Other OS from the PS3, removal of GC support from the Wii. You would think more stuff would be added rather than so much being taken away. And 2 reasons I didn't get a Wii U was lack of an ethernet port (I use the adaptor on my Wii as WiFI sucks) or an optical port. I have a 3-way optical switch to my sound system for my PS3 and cable box and I may buy an Xbox for the 3rd spot.

[quote name='rjejr']They should have come out with this last year when they made the Wii a default mini by taking out GC support. And not just BC, but no controller ports as well, which we use for Wii games Mario Kart and Brawl. Instead they took all of that out but kept on calling it Wii.
There are hardcore Nintendo fans who would buy this for $99 just to get a red Wiimoteplus and nunchuck combo, plus that ugly straight from heavy metal hell black and red box.
It may not have internet at all though. This whole generation has been screwing over customers. No BC or online Halo w/o a HDD on the Xbox360, removal of BC and Other OS from the PS3, removal of GC support from the Wii. You would think more stuff would be added rather than so much being taken away. And 2 reasons I didn't get a Wii U was lack of an ethernet port (I use the adaptor on my Wii as WiFI sucks) or an optical port. I have a 3-way optical switch to my sound system for my PS3 and cable box and I may buy an Xbox for the 3rd spot.[/QUOTE]

Revisions have usually taken away features.

NES mini - lack of AV outputs
SNES Mini - lack of AV outputs
Genesis mini - lack of Sega CD or 32X support (though some may consider this a bonus. :))
etc.

In all instances, these revisions have made the console cheaper to appeal to new customers who didn't have the console beforehand. They aren't meant for the people who currently own the system.

I actually think that this is a pretty cool console. The lack of GameCube support is my main gripe, but if it was $50, I could see myself picking one up. I never download games as it is, so no Wi-Fi is definitely not a deal breaker.

Don't like the look at all. Seems pointless without wifi. I'm glad I stopped caring about what Nintendo does. :)

I had heard that it didn't have WiFi, so perhaps has ethernet? Truth, though, is that we haven't had our Wii hooked up to the internet for a while now. Not a lot of point in it. Netflix in SD? Not too appealing. I guess if we didn't have a 360 (and a Wii U at Xmas), we might still want it, but probably not. If I didn't have an HD console I'd probalby have some other box that does HD streaming.

[quote name='Rodster']^^^^ This

Congratulations Nintendo on cannibizing Wii U sales. :booty:[/QUOTE]

Cannibal:

CannibalHolocaust.jpg

Cannabis:

_Cannabis_web.jpg

It's not good to confuse the two.

WHY!?! did Nintendo feel like they might have made too much money on the WiiU (which they didn't they're selling it at a loss for the first time in forever) that they needed to pour money into ANOTHER console? This is why Nintendo keeps bleeding money... Someone slap the person who pushed this idea through!

[quote name='cancerman1120']One of the few times I do wish I was Canadian.[/QUOTE]

Canadian Wiis use the same region code as US systems.

[quote name='Woocls']WHY!?! did Nintendo feel like they might have made too much money on the WiiU (which they didn't they're selling it at a loss for the first time in forever) that they needed to pour money into ANOTHER console? This is why Nintendo keeps bleeding money... Someone slap the person who pushed this idea through![/QUOTE]

Probably the same reason why the Game Boy micro was developed. The micro came about because Nintendo miniaturized the GBA hardware to place into the DS and was therefore able to produce a mini version to recoup costs. This was likely the same thing that happened with Wii components inside the Wii U.

[quote name='warboss zorbag']Without wi fi i fail to see who this is aimed at.
When nintendo does things like this it makes it impossible to defend them.[/QUOTE]

I think it's obvious ... CANADA. :lol:

[quote name='hollowfreak']I think it's obvious ... CANADA. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking that. What do people think Canada is made out of, people and technology? The whole country has about as many people as metropolitan Tokyo...

[quote name='crunchewy']I had heard that it didn't have WiFi, so perhaps has ethernet? [/QUOTE]

The currently available documentation indicates that this system has online disabled entirely, so any games with online capability simply won't allow that to work.

Damn, that's sexy as hell. I can't justify it though. I have a launch Wii with Gamecube compatibility, and now a WiiU. I have no place for it.

[quote name='rjejr']
It may not have internet at all though. This whole generation has been screwing over customers. No BC or online Halo w/o a HDD on the Xbox360, removal of BC and Other OS from the PS3, removal of GC support from the Wii. [/QUOTE]

Halo never had online. Halo 2 did and it worked fine on the 360... but yes it required the hard drive.

[quote name='KtMack23']My launch Wii's disk reader crapped out on me, so I'd consider this except I doubt its compatible with GameCube games.[/QUOTE]Not only is it no BC with GC games, there is no online functions on it.

Just buy a used Wii from Gamestop.

[quote name='Corvin']Damn, that's sexy as hell. I can't justify it though. I have a launch Wii with Gamecube compatibility, and now a WiiU. I have no place for it.

Halo never had online. Halo 2 did and it worked fine on the 360... but yes it required the hard drive.[/QUOTE]

I think he's also talking about halo 4. That has a mandatory second disc install.

Kinda sucks about no internet connectivity or backwards compatibility.

Once they fire sale these in a couple of years I'll grab one just because I'm a console hoarder, assuming it makes its way to the US.

I would hate to work at BBY and have some little old lady come up and say "I need to buy a Wii for the grand kids". It would take at least 2 hours to explain.

I had a lot of fun with the Excitebots Trick Racing online, so it's a shame people would miss out on that. I haven't played in a while, though. Maybe nobody is left online anyway?

[quote name='Corvin']Halo never had online. Halo 2 did and it worked fine on the 360... but yes it required the hard drive.[/QUOTE]

I think they were referring to current gen Halo games, which do require a hard drive for certain features.

Perfect time to release a new version of the Wii. Because consumers weren't already confused enough by Wii U.

Looks awesome to me. Would love to own this. Canadaaaaaaaaaaaa!
And I don't care about internet on the Wii anyway.

[quote name='mrclutch']I would hate to work at BBY and have some little old lady come up and say "I need to buy a Wii for the grand kids". It would take at least 2 hours to explain.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry that is probably already required without the Wii Mini added in. ;)

[quote name='foltzie']I wonder what kind of System Menu will be used.[/QUOTE]

There probably won't even be one. Just pop in the game and go.

[quote name='dallow']Looks awesome to me. Would love to own this. Canadaaaaaaaaaaaa!
And I don't care about internet on the Wii anyway.[/QUOTE]

Agreed although I'd love it in a different color; solid black would be ace. You can still import it though as it uses the same region code as America.

I was hoping to import one and use it just for DQX but I suppose I could use it to play the handful of games I've been wanting to get around to. We'll see if it even lands in Japan.

It's definitely a neat looking redesign aimed as a budget console for families, but I think it would be so much better with wifi and Netflix capabilities. It looks to me like Canada is being used as a test market to get consumer feedback before they switch over to the new cheaper design. Once they sell their stock of standard consoles, I think they'll start hitting everywhere.

The Wii U may be Nintendo's next generation console, but not every family can afford it. I think they're trying to extend the life of the Wii as the next budget market console. With wifi and a pack-in game, I think they'll be golden.

[quote name='cochesecochese']There probably won't even be one. Just pop in the game and go.

[/QUOTE]

You may be right, but I'm curious how data management for saves would work. May have to power on the system without a disc in the drive to get the setup menus, not unlike the original DS settings.

Makes sense, the lack of WiFi is bad for Netflix, but I assume Nintendo would now rather sell you a Wii U for that function.

[quote name='Corvin']Damn, that's sexy as hell. I can't justify it though. I have a launch Wii with Gamecube compatibility, and now a WiiU. I have no place for it.

Halo never had online. Halo 2 did and it worked fine on the 360... but yes it required the hard drive.[/QUOTE]

I recall playing Halo MP online in college, even if it wasn't quite managed the same way Halo 2 was. You could certainly do it though.

[quote name='pjb16']I recall playing Halo MP online in college, even if it wasn't quite managed the same way Halo 2 was. You could certainly do it though.[/QUOTE]

Halo was LAN only for multiplayer unless you used a third party tunneling solution, since it was released pre-XBL.

The fact folks were willing to go to that length really shows how popular Halo was out of the gate.

[quote name='foltzie']Halo was LAN only for multiplayer unless you used a third party tunneling solution, since it was released pre-XBL.

The fact folks were willing to go to that length really shows how popular Halo was out of the gate.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we used the 3rd party tunneling when we weren't playing on LAN between dorm floors.

Most Canadians dont even have home internet access, its more expensive than it is in the US. Those who live up in Northern Canada will find this console affordable and enjoyable. Alaskans will be jealous though.

I don't think the lack of internet is really a big deal, considering the network connectivity of the Wii was limited at best. Yeah, you can't use it as a Netflix box, but for most people who all they want is a box to play games with, this will satisfy that need on the cheap.

People can get a regular Wii all day on Craigslist for around 100. Should have priced the thing at like 80, make it more appealing for the last stragglers to bite. But I guess depending on how they sell, the individual stores can always put it on sale to move it, so 100 MSRP ain't terrible.

bread's done
Back