Wii MotionPlus - Add-on for Wiimote for 1:1 Motion

Oh yeah this is going to bring the downfall of Nintendo, can you be any more over the top people? LEt's see it in action first.

However if this thing costs more than $10 you will have a large fanbase that is pissed off. The controller already costs $60, let's make it $70 or $80.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Oh yeah this is going to bring the downfall of Nintendo, can you be any more over the top people? LEt's see it in action first.

However if this thing costs more than $10 you will have a large fanbase that is pissed off. The controller already costs $60, let's make it $70 or $80.[/quote]

Seriously. $39.99 for the Wiimote. $19.99 for the nunchuck. $19.99(?) for this thing. That's $80 for a controller...

[quote name='The Crotch']Theoretically? You're given a brief grace period to pull your arm/the remote back after a block. If you over-swing, Link stumbles and you're left open as punishment for swinging too hard and getting blocked.

Theoretically.

That would probably be a total pain in the ass to implement or something.[/QUOTE]

I actually have trouble seeing why the lack of resistance makes 1:1 difficult. It's not like an analog stick stops moving mid-motion if you hit a wall or something. Just stick a little "last-gen" rumble in there to add some tactile feedback when you clash lightsabers or Cho Anki wangs or whatever, and voila. People can figure out that they're better off making slight movements just like they figured out that you don't actually have to pantomime the exact movement you want in the game, in spite of what nerds jumping over the couch and using it for cover against yakuza might suggest.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Seriously. $39.99 for the Wiimote. $19.99 for the nunchuck. $19.99(?) for this thing. That's $80 for a controller...[/QUOTE]

Nobody ever went broke overestimating corporate stupidity, but controllers *do* get cheaper over time. Now would be the logical time for Nintendo to lighten the MSRP on the default bits of the Wiimote (optional or alternate pieces don't count; the classic controller isn't a valid item for comparison, unless we're going to start adding Hori fighting sticks to the price of the 360 controller, because it's unusable as-is for fighting games). So, with luck, the Wiimote drops to $30, the Nunchuk to $15, and this dongle hits at $15 as well, thereby keeping the same end price, with higher functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AmigoOne']Uh, where will the nunchuk go?[/quote]

The MotionPlus dongle is optimized for use with the wi-fi NunchukPlus!!

Honestly, I would have a hard time seeing this at more than $15 or not packaged with a game at no extra charge if they want developers to utilize this across the board.

Nearly every other accessory (classic controller aside) has been packaged with a game, so no concerns there.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Seriously. $39.99 for the Wiimote. $19.99 for the nunchuck. $19.99(?) for this thing. That's $80 for a controller...[/quote]

And remember Nintendo is supposed to be family friendly, so four times $80 is almost the costs of a PS3! :)

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Between plastic guitars, zappers, classic controllers, nunchuks, etc., I don't know if I even have room for more doodads in my entertainment center.

But if this waggle thinger is compatible with this thing, I just might crap my pants.[/quote]

Agreed. All that extra crap just makes a huge pile but unlike the GCN and the damned bongos/mic this time I skipped out on all of those peripherals except the wheel which is in a storage box. I'm guessing this new add-on will stay permanently attached to my Wii remotes so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

[quote name='Blaine']The MotionPlus dongle is optimized for use with the wi-fi NunchukPlus!![/quote]

Ahahah, I was waiting for this comment, finally came up on Page 3.

Another fucking add-on? Jesus Christ...

I'm not excited for this at all honestly. At the rate Nintendo is going, Nintendo will release 5 shitty casual games before they release 1 real game.

[quote name='Vinny'] At the rate Nintendo is going, Nintendo will release 5 shitty casual games before they release 1 real game.[/QUOTE]

It's more that shitty games will get released for the Wii before any good games.

There is a big difference. Nintendo's offerings are well spread between deep titles and casual.

At least Nintendo does casual games well, unlike most of the turd parties.

Wii Play & Wii sports, while not thought to be the cream of the crop to some, were, at least, well polished games. Wario Ware still is a fantastic game that's miles above the production value of other casual compilations.

I'm hoping Nintendo continues this Lego building block approach to the console adding a hard drive, High Definition support, feet and legs, arms and body and I'll form the head.

I love doo-dads.

This goes one step further toward my hypothesis that there is no need for a Wii 2.0. The massive Wii install base has indicated that graphics are not a concern and that they love add-ons. A 2.0 would cause confusion (as has been mentioned by many already in this thread) and really only panders to "hardcore" gamers who are fickle and constantly need the next thing. Graphics are the only thing that would be "upgraded" with a Wii 2.0 - they can continue to introduce new gameplay variations and accessories using the current technology and continue to make money on an existing product.

As much of a tech-fetish as I have, I would really enjoy seeing the current version of the Wii outlast several generations of XBOX and PS systems. I like upheaval.

[quote name='Vinny']Another fucking add-on? Jesus Christ...

I'm not excited for this at all honestly. At the rate Nintendo is going, Nintendo will release 5 shitty casual games before they release 1 real game.[/quote]

You should actually look at a list of Nintendo published games some time, you might realize that they publish just as many hardcore games as casual games for the Wii. Not only that, but most of their casual games are quite good and can be enjoyed by hardcore gamers.

[quote name='Strell']Wt.

Did they really just make the Wiimote bigger, longer, and thicker? For her pleasure?

Edit: So long as we're here, when is the conference tomorrow? AIM chat meet-up during it?[/quote]

Why doesn't nintendo release this for free or cheap (2 bucks?) then release a NEW wii-mote with the attachment built in and sell that one. I didn't expect Nintendo to get it right the first time with the Wii and wii-mote but seriously are developers complaing that much about how "slow" and "unresponsive" the Wii-mote is that Nintendo is giving into pressure and giving us this? Come on Nintendo, give us an offical wireless nunchuck or put something that can make me play the Wii MORE than my 360!!!

As for the hard drive add on/support...meh

I think this is a step in the right direction for Nintendo. While yes it is another addon, you only really need a controller, this and a nunchuck to play games. By the looks of this it is the size of a memory card (a bit bigger, I guess), but still it is no where massive. Also the idea of having 1:1 motion would be really cool. I could only imagine the uses the developers could potentially get out of this, that is IF they get their lazy asses to work.

Sure it bumps up the controller price by a bit, but it is a wireless controller with 1:1 motion and a Nunchuck attachment. I see no problems here since you are getting all of that.

If they announce the solution to the storage problem tomorrow I might lose most of my hatred towards them (still no Mario RPG, Earthbound, Star Fox or Pilotwings 64, fuckers).

[quote name='ITDEFX']Why doesn't nintendo release this for free or cheap (2 bucks?) then release a NEW wii-mote with the attachment built in and sell that one. I didn't expect Nintendo to get it right the first time with the Wii and wii-mote but seriously are developers complaing that much about how "slow" and "unresponsive" the Wii-mote is that Nintendo is giving into pressure and giving us this? Come on Nintendo, give us an offical wireless nunchuck or put something that can make me play the Wii MORE than my 360!!!
[/QUOTE]

This paragraph is all over the place. It is literally covering all bases. Pick a direction, sheesh.

Again, we don't know if they'll charge anything, but we assume they will. Price would be $10, minimum. I'd love to see it cheaper OR packed in with all sorts of games for free. Nintendo can afford to subsidize this.

Developers AND gamers are probably complaining about the abilities of the Wiimote, since it's become useful for little more than waggle. So yeah - justified complaining, definitely.

There's wireless 'chuks if you want 'em. Don't see how removing a few feet of cord would make you want to play the Wii more than the 360 though - not really a valid reason. Lots of killer games would do that, and/or a better online service, but those are basically pipedreams at the moment.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Why doesn't nintendo release this for free or cheap (2 bucks?) then release a NEW wii-mote with the attachment built in and sell that one. I didn't expect Nintendo to get it right the first time with the Wii and wii-mote but seriously are developers complaing that much about how "slow" and "unresponsive" the Wii-mote is that Nintendo is giving into pressure and giving us this? Come on Nintendo, give us an offical wireless nunchuck or put something that can make me play the Wii MORE than my 360!!!

As for the hard drive add on/support...meh[/quote]
This is pretty clear to me, and for the most part I would agree (except for the 360 part, because I don't have one) - but I suspect this will be tied to a specific game and give it more of a point. Others have mentioned the announcement and bundling of the Zapper, Wii Wheel, and Balance Board as previous examples.

I would also really like an official wireless nunchuk, but that would be the kind of thing they would quietly release and phase out the wired one as the tech became cheap enough.

[quote name='Strell']Nintendo can afford to subsidize this.[/QUOTE]

And I really think they need to at this point. Be it cheap (say $10) or a pack-in with a game, if this is expected to take off with future development it needs to reach the masses that already have a Wii. This isn't the zapper/wheel/fishing pole/condom folks, this is an accessory that actually adds greater functionality to the remote and not just aesthetically good lookin'.

I'm expecting we'll see either an unannounced game, or a currently speculated game that will include this as a "freebie" and act as a demo of the more precision motion. I really wouldn't be surprised if it's the rumored "Punch Out Wii" game.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I'm expecting we'll see either an unannounced game, or a currently speculated game that will include this as a "freebie" and act as a demo of the more precision motion. I really wouldn't be surprised if it's the rumored "Punch Out Wii" game.[/QUOTE]

This seems like the most logical conclusion. I haven't a clue what they'd do for the left hand; make you have 2 Wiimotes and 2 thingies, make some new nunchuk with this technology, or just give you a really limp and unpredictable left hand.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']And I really think they need to at this point. Be it cheap (say $10) or a pack-in with a game, if this is expected to take off with future development it needs to reach the masses that already have a Wii. This isn't the zapper/wheel/fishing pole/condom folks, this is an accessory that actually adds greater functionality to the remote and not just aesthetically good lookin'.

I'm expecting we'll see either an unannounced game, or a currently speculated game that will include this as a "freebie" and act as a demo of the more precision motion. I really wouldn't be surprised if it's the rumored "Punch Out Wii" game.[/quote]

If they really want people to use it they need to require it. (N64 Expansion Pack anyone?). If you tell people you need this on the front cover of the box and the game wont work without it, and they are stupid enough to not see it, it's their faults.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If they really want people to use it they need to require it. (N64 Expansion Pack anyone?). If you tell people you need this on the front cover of the box and the game wont work without it, and they are stupid enough to not see it, it's their faults.[/QUOTE]

Whoa.

Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much credit being given to the average American consumer.

First thing I thought of was Wii Punch Out also (esp. with many people complaining about no 1-to-1 boxing movements in Wii Sports). I am concerned because it looks like the nunchuck can't plug into it (unless they have an official wireless one, as someone mentioned, which would be cool).

[quote name='Kaijufan']You should actually look at a list of Nintendo published games some time, you might realize that they publish just as many hardcore games as casual games for the Wii. Not only that, but most of their casual games are quite good and can be enjoyed by hardcore gamers.[/QUOTE]

While I'm sure that's true if we consider the Wii releases thus far, I honestly doubt that holds any water if we see Nintendo's future releases (whatever they are). It's no secret they've had some hardcore games in development but with the runaway success of casual stuff like Wii Fit and Wii Play, I seriously doubt Nintendo gives a rats ass about real games anymore... hence why I only referenced the future ("at this rate").

[quote name='Strell']Whoa.

Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much credit being given to the average American consumer.[/quote]

God damnit you are right. You can tell I am on summer break, because I actually thought people were smarter, and I spent most of my time gaming, lol.

If there's a port, then its a pretty cool idea if it will deliver. But it's the nunchuk that needs much more work with motion sensing than the actual wiimote.

[quote name='Vinny']hence why I only referenced the future ("at this rate").[/QUOTE]

The phrase "at this rate" implies basing it on data you've already got collected over some span of time. It's kind of like a "Given what we know now, we can assume that X" sort of statement.

Yeah - your point holds if you look at the pure sales of the casual games versus the hardcore ones...although that might require some careful planning. Your point doesn't hold if you look purely at titles released on a bulleted list.

Nintendo may very well drop out of the whole big market and never look back. I don't really think they'll actually ever make it that drastic, but don't let my assumption be the end-all. I mean, at this point, almost anything is possible. It's kind of like how there's this *hooge* uproar about FFXIII. Wada is mad that they can't count on pure sales anymore, given the amount of time and resources needed to development games as we move further into bigger graphmogix territory.

[quote name='Vinny']While I'm sure that's true if we consider the Wii releases thus far, I honestly doubt that holds any water if we see Nintendo's future releases (whatever they are). It's no secret they've had some hardcore games in development but with the runaway success of casual stuff like Wii Fit and Wii Play, I seriously doubt Nintendo gives a rats ass about real games anymore... hence why I only referenced the future ("at this rate").[/quote]
And with the runaway successes of games like Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy maybe they still do give a rats ass about "real" games.

Another reason why I think they might need to have a 1:1 because *maybe* they are planning more online mutliplayer titles and the current wii-mote isn't up to standard in transmitting the data fast/accurate enough to the wii for on line play. A lightsaber game IS coming to the Wii (TFU) and from what I have read the wii-mote works fine with it.

I have had no real problems with the way the wii-mote functions and the games are very forgiving when it comes to accuracy. If that's the best that Nintendo can give us this year, then that is sad.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']I'm wondering if Samba de Amigo and a lack of a good way to handle the posing in it was one of the inspirations behind this attachment. I hope Samba de Amigo will support it.[/quote]

This was the very first thing I thought of when I heard about the 1:1 ratio.

Samba damn well better be utilizing this!

Then again, that probably wouldn't bode well for a maraca shell. Either the casing would have a gaping hole in it (for those that haven't purchased the attachment), or it'd have to be molded to fit the whole thing in there.

But then, maybe Samba De Amigo will be the game packaged with this. (Not likely, as it would almost certainly be a first-party title, but I can dream!)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If they really want people to use it they need to require it. (N64 Expansion Pack anyone?). If you tell people you need this on the front cover of the box and the game wont work without it, and they are stupid enough to not see it, it's their faults.[/quote]

That's it, piss off millions of fans for no reason but because Nintendo feels they need to get more money from you. If you already bought a Wii, it's their own fault when Nintendo tries to screw them or confuse them.

'Far as I can tell, there are three concerns that I hope will be addressed at the conference tomorrow. For now, we'll refer to these concerns as P.E.P.
Pricing - Probably one of the most pressing concerns at this moment. Will they have it in a cheap mini-game bundle? Alone? With a full price game? A combination of these plans?*
Effectiveness - Essential to this product's success for the consumer's first glance. Nintendo will need to show that there will be a noticeable, significant improvement when using motion controls with this addition.
Propagation - Potentially the core of this peripheral's survival lies with Nintendo's answer to one question: Will it be used by developers? Not only will Nintendo need to support this with their own AAA titles, it is necessary for Nintendo to convince third party developers to support this in their future releases.

Remember folks, with some P.E.P. in their presentation, Nintendo's official reveal of this tomorrow would be a big success! :wave:

Based on what they have done so far, I have an idea for how Nintendo would handle this peripheral's release. In the beginning, there will be two ways to get it: A) In a $15-$20 bundle with the longer Wiimote jacket and a mini-game collection (We'll call it Wii Plus for now) that show off the peripheral's capabilities, like 1:1 swordfighting/fencing/kendo. B) The peripheral alone (and the longer jacket), for $5-$10.

After some time, assuming that the peripheral is a success, Nintendo will discontinue the bundle, and in its place stick the bundle's contents into the Wii Play bundle, meaning that you would get Wii Play, Wii Plus, the longer jacket, a Wiimote, and the Wii MotionPlus for $50.

And just for the heck of it, here's a conference scenario that I would enjoy seeing...
- Reggie calls out Sid Meier: Announcement of a Wiimake of Sid Meier's Pirates!, with 1:1 swordfighting and dancing sequences, and horizontal driving tilt controls for sailing/ship battle segments.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddy']That's it, piss off millions of fans for no reason but because Nintendo feels they need to get more money from you. If you already bought a Wii, it's their own fault when Nintendo tries to screw them or confuse them.[/quote]
Isn't a service like X-box live the same way though. I mean you can play games normally but unless you shell over the cash and have a high speed internet connection, you wont be able to fully enjoy your 360. Same goes here, it's like X-box live gold in a way.

So basically, Nintendo can't perfect their innovative motions sensor technology, and now expect us t pay to upgrade their stuff. Sure glad I could neither afford nor find a Wii. Maybe I'll just wait 5 more years for the next Next Gen System.

This is no different than Sony "adding" rumble to their PS3 controllers. The only people who seem really pissed off are the people that seem to already hate Nintendo. I imagine the add on will be dirt cheap and probably packed in numerous games without bumping up the price of those games.

I'm not a "sky is falling", "this is the end" kind of person...Nintendo wants to refine their product...good for them.

As for complaints about Nintendo focusing on the "casual" gamer...all three companies focus on the casual gamer. Singstar? Xbox Live Arcade? 800 driving games on the 360? All the systems have games for both the casual gamer and the hardcore gamer and all the gamers in between.

Nintendo is out of control with these peripherals. I love my wii, but this tech should have been there from the start.

But, it is impressive and if they've got the games to back it up I will be picking it up.

[quote name='yukine']Bundle it with Wii Sports 2.0 and I'm in.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed.

"9:50 - Reggie is back, and talks about the Wii MotionPlus accessory. Announced first yesterday, it makes the Wii Remote "more responsive, more precise, more intense." It renders every slight shift in your arm into the gameplay. Shows how it works with ... Wii Sports Resort! The Wii Sports sequel, featuring beach-themed games.

9:51 - Wii Sports Resort will be packaged with the MotionPlus accessory, and an Extended Jacket for the Wii Remote. Cammy is back to play Disc Dog, one of the Sports Resort included games."

Sword fighting looked pretty good. Actually the frisbee was eerily 1:1.

The WaveRace demo thing, not as impressive.

$5 says Wii Sports Resort has a balance board Surfing or Water Skiing. Any takers?

o great u already hav 2 pay 60 bux for wii mote and nunchuck more money 4 nintendo... god i hate that stupid chink

[quote name='Kaijufan']And with the runaway successes of games like Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy maybe they still do give a rats ass about "real" games.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're right. But after watching their E3 press conference... I doubt it.:)

bread's done
Back