Wii Network Service Partial Discontinuation

I got a Wii message from Nintendo about this last night, but apparently they've had it on their website since April, so it might be old news to people:

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/tiQImp7Oi97LiEyVqwDqL-eDnX6u9qjk

Wii Network Service Partial Discontinuation
2013-04-12

We at Nintendo sincerely thank you for your continued patronage of our company’s products. We would like to inform you that a portion of the network services offered through the Wii console will be discontinued starting June 27, 2013.

We apologize to those of you currently using these services, and ask for your understanding. The affected applications are as follows:

• Forecast Channel

• News Channel

• Everybody Votes Channel

• Nintendo Channel

• Check Mii Out Channel

• Data exchange between Wii friends on WiiConnect24*

*Wii message exchanges via Wii Message Board, Mii exchanges via Mii Channel, and exchanges of messages or data in some game titles will no longer be possible.

Following the discontinuation, the above services will not be available even if they are started up on the Wii menu. However, services other than those mentioned above, such as the automatic receipt of “Today’s Accomplishments” on the Wii Message Board and the Wii Shop Channel** can continue to be used.

**After the service end date, you will not be able to use the Wii Number from the address book.

For additional details, please visit support.nintendo.com

Yep, this was rather big news a few months ago when all the blogs picked it up, but I suppose since its this month, everyone needs a reminder.

I haven't paid attention to Wii news for a few years now, so I missed the original announcement in April.

From that list of things they're taking away - I tried the forecast & news channels when I first got my Wii, but never after that. I used Everybody Votes for about 1-2 weeks. I think I got a couple of Miis from Check Mii Out. I occasionally used the Nintendo channel for DS demos.

I sent a lot of Miis way back after launch and would once in a while send some messages & pics via the message board.

At least third party channels, the Internet & Wii Shop Channel will still work, but I can use my Roku or an HDMI cable with my laptop for things like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube. My mom still uses the Wii for Netflix even though I got her a Roku for Christmas, so it's good that she'll still be able to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember first hearing about this a couple of months ago, and at first all I thought was affected was News, Forecast, Everybody Votes and Check Mii Out channels.  I used those sporadically when I was feeling bored, so no real loss there. The Forecast channel was fun to check out now and again, spinning the globe and whatnot, plus I'll always remember this PA comic in reference to it.

Then I just looked at it again, and realize the Nintendo Channel is going down too.  That is probably the channel that is getting the axe I used the most, which wasn't for the videos, but for the gameplay records feature.  It tallied up all of your game playing time for (almost) all of your Wii games based upon the all the Today's Accomplishments data.  It was great to know how much I played each game, seeing if I got my money's worth.

Oh well, neutral to sad news either way, depending on how you look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back