Wii Online Is Not Online...

JMEPO

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Is it really worth it for Nintendo to bother putting online (NWC) in there Wii games? Usually the first thing I do in a game is test out the online capibilitys, but can you really consider a game where you cannot chat or interact with other players in any way without entering a freakin billion digit code online? (I am reffering to SSBB) Pray that Nintendo releases one real ONLINE game before the next generation of console from Nintendo is released. Honestly I really do want an excuse to play the Wii again.

This "REAL online game" that you speak of might just be in the near future according to this "Pay to Play" bullplop, people are speculating that the Big N will probably hookin' up people with chat(text or voice) and other features. So if you want a real online game from Nintendo you're probably going have pay for it!

Just speaking for myself, but there are some of us folks who like Nintendo's online system. I get online, I jump into a game with some random folks, I have fun without being exposed to potty-mouthed 10-year-olds. And I don't have to pay anything for it. What's wrong with that?

Not everyone's idea of the perfect online experience involves trash-talking...

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']Just speaking for myself, but there are some of us folks who like Nintendo's online system. I get online, I jump into a game with some random folks, I have fun without being exposed to potty-mouthed 10-year-olds. And I don't have to pay anything for it. What's wrong with that?

Not everyone's idea of the perfect online experience involves trash-talking...

--R.J.[/QUOTE]

While that's fine and dandy, the problem is when trying to play with friends. I usually want to play games online with friends... not random nobodies (that's what A.I. is for). Friend codes suck- I'm just too lazy to re-enter each code for every single fucking game.

Oh, and OP, I'm not sure what you thought you were getting into but... obviously you thought wrong.

The reason I play online if for the challenge of playing other humans. While I think they should give us away to comunicate(voice chat or typing) I never found it essential to the gameplay or enjoyment.

I'm more than happy with the way the online works - it really isn't a big deal to enter a code.
Could the process be better? Sure, but what in life couldn't?

You may have figured it out. The friend codes are not actually linking you to your friend online. It's a code to generate an AI script for another player, to make you think you're playing your friend online. It's not actually online.

When you say "worth it," I would say yes it is, unless they were going to offer me the game without online capabilities for a cheaper price, then I would say they shouldn't bother. But since they're charging me the same price either way, I'll take the ability to play co-op with my buddy once a year.

[quote name='natureboy46']I'm more than happy with the way the online works - it really isn't a big deal to enter a code.
Could the process be better? Sure, but what in life couldn't?[/quote]

I concur

Are the people who are content with with the Wii's online capability Wii only owners? I used to be a Wii only owner but even then I was pretty upset at the online. You'd think as a console it would have a better system in place than the DS. Dreamcast had a better online system and it was on dial up. IIRC each online game had their own friend lists. The biggest problem I have with the Wii is each single game has its own friend code. It would make much more sense if we just had to exchange system codes and from there we're set for all other games. I believe BBA and possibly MP3 used your system friends list. If games like Strikers and Brawl would do so, it would be much more beneficiary.

Some of you may not like voice chat and I admit it can get annoying but thats what muting is for. The most fun comes from playing with friends and having a chat after a long day of work/school. "So how's the wife doing? WATCH OUT SNIPER ON THE EAST SIDE!!!" And in co-op/team games its an absolute must.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Are the people who are content with with the Wii's online capability Wii only owners? I used to be a Wii only owner but even then I was pretty upset at the online. You'd think as a console it would have a better system in place than the DS. Dreamcast had a better online system and it was on dial up. IIRC each online game had their own friend lists. The biggest problem I have with the Wii is each single game has its own friend code. It would make much more sense if we just had to exchange system codes and from there we're set for all other games. I believe BBA and possibly MP3 used your system friends list. If games like Strikers and Brawl would do so, it would be much more beneficiary.

Some of you may not like voice chat and I admit it can get annoying but thats what muting is for. The most fun comes from playing with friends and having a chat after a long day of work/school. "So how's the wife doing? WATCH OUT SNIPER ON THE EAST SIDE!!!" And in co-op/team games its an absolute must.[/quote]

I am a Wii only owner. I'm not saying the Wii online is anywhere to close to other system online services at all. But it works perfect for me. I really don't mind the friend codes that much. Different codes for different games is annoying, but you put it in once and it's saved and you never worry about it again.

Now that I finally own a Guitar Hero game I do very much mourn the lack of DLC songs.

As for voice chat - it would be nice, but at the same time I understand those who hate the screaming 12 year olds. If it was there I'd use it, but I wouldn't go to war for it.

But that's just me.

All you Wii whiney bitches need your own thread so you can jerk each other.

Please stop cluttering up the Wii forums with your redundant nonsense and leave the forums to those who actually like their Wii, regardless of it's online capabilities and plethora of minigame compilations.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Are the people who are content with with the Wii's online capability Wii only owners? I used to be a Wii only owner but even then I was pretty upset at the online. You'd think as a console it would have a better system in place than the DS. Dreamcast had a better online system and it was on dial up. IIRC each online game had their own friend lists. The biggest problem I have with the Wii is each single game has its own friend code. It would make much more sense if we just had to exchange system codes and from there we're set for all other games. I believe BBA and possibly MP3 used your system friends list. If games like Strikers and Brawl would do so, it would be much more beneficiary.

Some of you may not like voice chat and I admit it can get annoying but thats what muting is for. The most fun comes from playing with friends and having a chat after a long day of work/school. "So how's the wife doing? WATCH OUT SNIPER ON THE EAST SIDE!!!" And in co-op/team games its an absolute must.[/quote]

Right now I'm a Wii only console gamer, but I've owned just about every system besides a PS3 at some point. I have no problems with how online works on the Wii. Entering friends codes aren't much hassle IMO, and I don't really care about voice chat.

Maybe it's because I've been gaming for over 20 years, and didn't start in the xbox era or play a ton of PC games and use ventrillo or teamspeak for voice chat (not suggesting that's when you started). If I had, maybe I'd find the Wii online structure lacking. As is, the vast majority of the time I don't feel like talking, even when playing with friends, so I don't really care about the lack of voice chat.

I think the other side to that is that if online gaming was high on my priority list, I wouldn't be a Wii-only owner. I would say I hope someone implements voice chat soon, but since the only game I want it for (BWii) is already out, it doesn't really matter now.

quite frankly I rarely use my x360 headset.. just the majority of the people on the games are just people I don't want to talk to anyways.. if they people are cool I'll chime in.. but really if its just dick and "gay" jokes.. I can deal without..

[quote name='Ryukahn']
Maybe it's because I've been gaming for over 20 years, and didn't start in the xbox era or play a ton of PC games and use ventrillo or teamspeak for voice chat (not suggesting that's when you started). If I had, maybe I'd find the Wii online structure lacking. As is, the vast majority of the time I don't feel like talking, even when playing with friends, so I don't really care about the lack of voice chat.[/quote]
I had a similar upbringing - gaming is primarily a solitary experience for me. If I'm interested in multiplayer anything, it's local-only (that was good enough for me playing Atari 2600 games and it's how I like it now). I have played every system online now and don't feel like it adds anything to my experience. I would actually probably prefer to pay less for a game that had the online component removed.

[quote name='urzishra14']quite frankly I rarely use my x360 headset.. just the majority of the people on the games are just people I don't want to talk to anyways.. if they people are cool I'll chime in.. but really if its just dick and "gay" jokes.. I can deal without..[/QUOTE]
And you get to pay for all those dick jokes, too! Isn't the XBox online experience so obviously superior? ;)

--R.J.

bread's done
Back