Wii or XBOX 360?

levanjm

CAGiversary!
Hi all,

I have posted before wondering if I should get my son a Wii or a Gamecube. After much thought and input from a bunch of you, I thought I 'd go with the Wii.

But then a thought hit me..... why not an Xbox 360? We already have a bunch of
Xbox games, and my son seems to like them. There is a larger selection than for the Wii, and the graphics would be better. I could even get the HD DVD player later.

So I thought I would throw it out to the CAG community. Wii or Xbox 360?

My son is 7, so please let that temper any discussion about rated M games.

Thanks,
Mike

I would personally pick the Wii for a 7 year old. Right now the best game for the 360 is Gears of War and that's out of the question to me. I think that he'll enjoy the Wii and it's virtual console games too :)

I'd have to go witht he Wii on this one. I hate how most games that even have a teen rating drop some language into the game. I know that the Wii will be language free since it is a nintendo console

360 due to the fact I think the Wii will be missing out on a lot of games. I read magazines and look at previews for games and time after time I simply see 360/PS3/PC for systems the game will be on. Sure Wii will have the Nintendo exclusives, so I guess it just comes down to what you care about more, the Nintendo exclusives or a larger variety of games.

I would go with the XBox 360. Why? Because it will get most if not all the multiplatform games (that will not have to be scaled back or a "new" edition for the Wii). There are already several games out that he would likely enjoy such as Viva Pinata, Kameo, racing titles, and the upcoming Sonic. Plus the other perks which you already mentioned (backwards compatibility, HD-DVD etc)

Meh tough choice, right now kids games on the 360 is pretty slim pickins, but it'll pick up after time. The Wii on the other hand will launch with enough kids games to keep him occupied but like whoknows just mentioned it could get fewer games in the future. Plus the motion sensing controls maybe too frustrating for a younger kid in some games. But then there's the fact that Nintendo consoles have been much more kid-friendly in the selection of titles that the Xbox and now the 360 over time. Hoesntly though you could probably go either way, do you play some of the games with him? If so, then I'd go 360, as it'll probably offer the most compromise and they'll be something available for both of you.

I'd go with Wii. There is a certain "quality" about Nintendo games that connect with a child, in a Disney-like way. Kind of like how kids connect with Dora the Explorer or whatever cheesy cartoons are out there. Except in this case, Nintendo has all-age appeal (kind of how there are 45 year old Star Wars fans and 5 year old SW fans), so you would enjoy it too.

When he gets older, overwhelm him with as much Sony and MS mature games as you want. But at his age, Nintendo is a win-win bet. Heck, I'm in my 20's and am giddy for the Wii.

If we're just thinking about your 7-year-old kid, I don't see how a 360 would be a good option. The only E 360 game I can think of that's not racing or sports is Viva Pinata. What kind of Xbox games does he like already? The Wii is the obvious option me, mainly because of the amount and variety of E games.

Why not a Gamecube? Unless you already own a Gamecube, I don't think a 7 years old kid care whether it's a Wii or GC for as long as there are games for him to play. For next gen though, I'd go for 360 since it could benefit both father and son.

Since your son is 7, I would go with the Wii. My son is 7, and he loves anything Mario or Yoshi or Zelda. Oh, and Pokemon.

He likes the driving games on the 360, but they're too hard for him. I know he would be all over Excite Truck on the Wii.

The Wii may miss out on a lot of games, but odds are they'll be ones that are inappropriate or too difficult for your son anyway. The 360 will get some kid-friendly titles, but I have no doubt the Wii will have more.

Think about your son's favorite games on the XBOX. Now look at the current 360 catalog and see if there's anything along those lines. If so, then weight more heavily toward the 360.

Also consider that with a Wii, you can get Gamecube games on the cheap. My son doesn't really care about graphics or the age of games, so that means less cost or more games for your dollar.

I think a Gamecube would be best. It is cheap, durable, supports 4 players and has alot of cheap priced games. For a Cube, extra contoller, Mariokart DD (must have) and a memory card. It will cost $100, used. My daughter is 9 and we have a Cube for her. We love playing Mariokart, Mario Sunshine, Spiderman2 and Luigi's Mansion. She has very little interest in my 360. But, if it must be a next generation console, go with the Wii.

wii because you also have access to gamecube games. Games like Mario Kart and Mario Party are very kids friendly.

Definitely the Wii. Nintendo has a much more kid-friendly library and is a great starting place for a young gamer. While the Wii doesn't have as much of a selection right now, you have to remember that you have the entire GameCube library (a lot of excellent games that can be obtained at low prices) as well as the Virtual Console games. I started gaming at the age of six with the original Nintendo. When/if I have kids, I won't hesitate to start them out on a Nintendo system.

Thanks, all.

I am still unsure. I don't think there is a bad choice, just what might be better. Here
are the games we play on XBox:

Any Star Wars, Spiderman, Batman, Baseball, JSRF, any superhero, etc.
Arctic Thunder, PGR2.

He really likes the Star Wars and Superhero genre.

Of course, he has never had the chance to play any Mario stuff.

Mike

[quote name='VGI-Shinobi']Why not a Gamecube? Unless you already own a Gamecube, I don't think a 7 years old kid care whether it's a Wii or GC for as long as there are games for him to play. For next gen though, I'd go for 360 since it could benefit both father and son.[/quote]

Not true, my bro is 6 and he likes Wii the best out of them all.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']If we're just thinking about your 7-year-old kid, I don't see how a 360 would be a good option. The only E 360 game I can think of that's not racing or sports is Viva Pinata. What kind of Xbox games does he like already? The Wii is the obvious option me, mainly because of the amount and variety of E games.[/QUOTE]

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?st=&g=0&r=2&s=2&p=1&c=10
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?st=&g=0&r=3&s=2&p=1&c=10

Check your facts before speaking out of portfolio.
I see pros and cons to everyones answers and will not take an opinion on his choices. But every once in a while I enjoy putting my foot up someone's ass when hearing something way offbase.

[STILL] peaceout 'though :)

Definitely the Wii...if my parents would have bought me a 360 instead of a Wii and if I was seven, I'd be quite disappointed. 360 really has no games for a 7 year old... I loved Nintendo when I was a kid and man if the Wii had been out back then I'm sure I would have enjoyed the controller 100x more than I feel like I would now. If you get a 360 you made a huge mistake!

Ah and all that junk posted above...what kind of kid whos 7 likes to play cars. I mean honestly as that age its mario, donkey kong, monkey ball, etc for sure.

I'd go with the Wii for a few reasons. The games are going to be more kid oriented, the muliplayer (in house) is going to be better, and well its a wii bit cheaper. This all goes without saying that you really should get both. So I'm really just trying to answer the question of which one do I get him for Xmas and which one do I get him for this Bday or next Xmas.

[quote name='rewn']http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?st=&g=0&r=2&s=2&p=1&c=10
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?st=&g=0&r=3&s=2&p=1&c=10

Check your facts before speaking out of portfolio.
I see pros and cons to everyones answers and will not take an opinion on his choices. But every once in a while I enjoy putting my foot up someone's ass when hearing something way offbase.

[STILL] peaceout 'though :)[/QUOTE]Next time I'll be more specific and say E (under 10?) non-Xbox Live Arcade. :roll:

Edited to add: Though, if we're going to talk about downloadable games, you've got the Virtual Console... most of which would be fine for a 7 year old.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Next time I'll be more specific and say E (under 10?) non-Xbox Live Arcade. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Hence the smily face beneath my orig. post. Still one could argue that

a.) he already likes/plays the star wars type (so that's 2 games in that series right there despite the E10 rating.

b.) it could be argued that even -IF- you deduct all racing, sports, live-arcade games you'd be roughly @ same if not more than Wii launch E titles.

Get a 360 for Daddy (Big Pimpin')
Get a DS Lite + Mario stuff for kid (look I am cool , 2 gifts)

and bond with your son in the experience of playing anothers' console + handheld.

All fun aside - I'm also getting a Wii for my gf's son - but he's got a PS2+DSLite already and is a few yrs. older (10). Plus X360 is a good consolation price for sulking over not getting a PS3 this weekend (I heard the line for the PS4 is right around the OTHER corner hehe).

bread's done
Back