Wii Pre-Order Thread - Facts, Rumors and Everything In Between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Some people have been asking about preordering the Wii. Right now there are two confirmed locations about where one can jump on the boat early.

B0009VXBAQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41617776_.jpg

1. Gamestop
For Previous Information on Pre-Order Deal for HAWAII ONLY - Refer to this post: this post
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: Unknown
Link: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/wii/wii_signup.asp?

2. Amazon (Thanks to bmarquardt for the Heads Up)
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: September 15th
Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009VXBAQ/

3. FYE
Conditions: Put down $50
Start of Preorder: Sometime during late spring 2006
Store Locations: http://shop.fye.com/StoreLocator.aspx

4. Lik-Sang.com
Conditions: No Money Down
1. Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
2. Once release details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
3. Should you decide to confirm, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
4. Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
5. Release date is not confirmed and might change.
6. The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
7. All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
8. Depending on release schedule, you will be offered choice between European, US or Japanese.
9. Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
10. Once games and accessories are confirmed, you will be able to add them to your order.
Start of Preorder: I forgot ^^;
Link: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=351&products_id=6998&

I will update the post as more pre-orders (hopefully) start up. Good hunting!

I really hope my Target does preorders but I am in doubt. And with Amazon done and me not having $50 of trade-in for Gamestop/EBgames I don't know what I'm going to do. :cry:

EDIT: Wait? The Gamestop thing may be Hawaii only. Then when does rest of the gamestops do the pre-ordering?

[quote name='grandjedi6']I really hope my Target does preorders but I am in doubt. And with Amazon done and me not having $50 of trade-in for Gamestop/EBgames I don't know what I'm going to do. :cry:[/QUOTE]Do like most of the world, and wait in line, or simply wait till you find one on a shelf somewhere.

Patience is a good thing. There's plenty to do in life to fill up our days until we get the consoles/games we're looking forward to. =)

[quote name='Crygor64']All this trouble and this deal is limited only to Hawaii?

Something sounds fishy here. This topic and similar topics all over the web have received literally 1000's of hits. And after all the fuss this deal turns out to be limited to Hawaii.

Disinformation FTW.[/quote]

Yes, disinformation. But only because people don't quote the source, and do not read the whole thing.

I have always stated that I don't know if this is a nationwide thing. This is simply information I've recieved, and I'm giving it out because this could affect chains nationwide in the future. This is important information because people want to pre-order a Wii or PS3, and if this type of stuff takes effect elsewhere, its absolute lunacy.

Better to be informed than to have to drive back home and grab half your game library so you can get your Wii/PS3 on launch. Or have to rethink your entire pre-order/launch plans entirely.

The sad thing is that this 'offer' will probably do well here. There aren't many choices for video game stores, and GameStop has the most exposure around here. So as I said before, the statistics will be skewed once this is all over, and it might be skewed enough to justify doing pre-orders this way nationwide.

Hmm... you sound similarly like a guy on the IGN boards... minus the vulgarity. XD

Update: I just called the Software Etc that I got the flyer from. The employee said that this is only a Hawaii thing, and that all stores in Hawaii are doing pre-orders this way.

I really hope corporate isnt stupid enough to continue this and start it nationwide, that would be absolutely retarded.

Grandjedi6, right now the current word on preorders is probably near the beginning of October.

I just got off the phone with GameRush and the guy swore up and down that the PS3 launch was announced last night to be delayed 6 months. I realize this is slightly off-topic, but the flier we are discussing is directed towards both Wii and PS3. Anybody else hear anything about this?

[quote name='guinaevere']Do like most of the world, and wait in line, or simply wait till you find one on a shelf somewhere.

Patience is a good thing. There's plenty to do in life to fill up our days until we get the consoles/games we're looking forward to. =)[/QUOTE]
How long are people planning to wait in line at this point, and what stores are recommended?

[quote name='hack']

Hmm... you sound similarly like a guy on the IGN boards... minus the vulgarity. XD

Update: I just called the Software Etc that I got the flyer from. The employee said that this is only a Hawaii thing, and that all stores in Hawaii are doing pre-orders this way.[/quote]

Paranoia and disinformation. And now finally the truth comes out. Maybe you should have asked if this was a "Hawaii only" thing before you posted? Obviously the store in question knew this was a limited deal.

And that still does not change the fact that this topic and others like it have received 1000s of hits all over the web. This topic has reached over 10,000 hits while a similar topic on GAF has reached over 13,000 hits.

You can see why I would be suspicious. Also, the same person seems to be posting in many of the topics I have found on the web. (Google searches rule)

I'm sorry but it all sounds fishy to me.

[quote name='Crygor64']Paranoia and disinformation. And now finally the truth comes out. Maybe you should have asked if this was a "Hawaii only" thing before you posted? Obviously the store in question knew this was a limited deal.

And that still does not change the fact that this topic and others like it have received 1000s of hits all over the web. This topic has reached over 10,000 hits while a similar topic on GAF has reached over 13,000 hits.

You can see why I would be suspicious. Also, the same person seems to be posting in many of the topics I have found on the web. (Google searches rule)

I'm sorry but it all sounds fishy to me.[/QUOTE]

Who cares? It's not like you already went and traded $50 worth of games and are just now finding out you're screwed. Stop taking such a personal interest in this.

[quote name='Crygor64']Paranoia and disinformation. And now finally the truth comes out. Maybe you should have asked if this was a "Hawaii only" thing before you posted? Obviously the store in question knew this was a limited deal.

I'm sorry but it all sounds fishy to me.[/quote]
Okay dude, next time someone picks up a flyer in Indiana, I hope they ask the manager if the information is only relevant in Indiana, or if it's nationwide. :roll: Unless it says otherwise, why wouldn't you assume that's the case?

Get off his ass.

[quote name='Crygor64']Paranoia and disinformation. And now finally the truth comes out. Maybe you should have asked if this is was a Hawaii thing before you posted. Obviously the store in question knew this was a limited deal.

I'm sorry but it all sounds fishy to me.[/quote]

Of course it sounds fishy. It reeks too.

I had more of a concern with getting this information out as soon as possible because Monday is so close. Even though this is just a Hawaii thing, it still applies to anyone waiting to pre-order a Wii or PS3 at GameStop/EB. Such a move by GameStop does not bode well for future pre-order processes. Now we are aware and prepared for this if such action were to be taken.

And I'm glad that people are now aware of this. It may cause GameStop to not do this at all, or to reconsider it at the very least. I just hope next time people learn how to properly quote and copy/paste. Paranoia will cause people to try and get more information, and that's all that I wanted everyone to do (though causing paranoia was never my intention). Get informed, and stay on top of crap like this.

I never had any ill intentions, and now that this has been proven, I certainly did not lie about anything. My original post was to be as helpful as possible, and while it has caused some panic, I think thats far better than people not knowing that such a process is going on at all.

I once again say good luck to everyone on getting their Wii/PS3. I certainly hope this pre-order process does not happen nationwide, but that's not my decision.

Wait, so I'm a little bit confused now. Is this Gamestop/EBGames trade-in thing nationwide?

What's the trade-in value of a GameCube?

[quote name='Roufuss']Who cares? It's not like you already went and traded $50 worth of games and are just now finding out you're screwed. Stop taking such a personal interest in this.[/quote]

Please forgive me as I have only the greatest respect for CAG. It is not my intention to cause trouble. However something sounds fishy here. I always wanted CAG to stay free of the disinformation, fighting, and lies you see on other message boards. (See also: GAF)

I have seen this topic posted on literally dozens of message boards, all within a few hours. Every single one of these topics has received 1000s of hits.

I know, I shouldn't be paranoid, but I'm a student of the Guerilla PR school.

Here's a book everyone who posts online should read.

http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Wired-Successful-Publicity-Everywhere/dp/0071382321/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_1_txt/002-6317262-8057668?ie=UTF8

And here is a company that specializes in this dirty work:

http://www.guerillapr.com/

And with that, I will say no more. Sorry to hijack your thread. That wasn't my intention.

All the best.

[quote name='guinaevere']Do like most of the world, and wait in line, or simply wait till you find one on a shelf somewhere.

Patience is a good thing. There's plenty to do in life to fill up our days until we get the consoles/games we're looking forward to. =)[/quote]

That's what I usually do but I was thinking of going the preorder route. Of course knowing Nintendo there will probably be a bunch of consoles. :)

KillerDark, October you say? Hmm I will be looking out

Just to reiterate:

GameStop pre-orders for the Wii and PS3 are ONLY happening in Hawaii. If you do not live in Hawaii, you currently don't have anything to worry about.

theres still no proof that this deal may not spread nationwide, maybe there wanting to see what kind of response it gets in Hawaii first.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Crygor64 = MotherfuckING internet detective. :roll:[/quote]

Yes, because according to your "logic" we should all believe anything we read on the internet without question.

[quote name='Wolfgame']theres still no proof that this deal may not spread nationwide, maybe there wanting to see what kind of response it gets in Hawaii first.[/quote]

Only way to find out will be to wait and see.

[quote name='hack']Just to reiterate:

GameStop pre-orders for the Wii and PS3 are ONLY happening in Hawaii. If you do not live in Hawaii, you currently don't have anything to worry about.[/QUOTE]
THANK GOD.
Seriously, though, if this IS how they're doing it nationwide, I'm just gonna go get all my Wii stuff elsewhere. I've always been tepid towards GS/EB, but this is just stupid.

[quote name='KillerDark']Only way to find out will be to wait and see.[/quote]

You could also contact the corporate offices of the stores in question.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/contact_us.asp

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/sites/eb/help/contact_us.asp

Store Issues

If you have an issue with a store, please contact the EBgames.com Customer Service Center at 1-800-883-8895. At the menu press 1 to be directed to Store Issues. They will be able to assist you with any issue you may have regarding stores. Hours of operation: Open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (CST); Saturday - Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CST) .

Still have Questions?

If you didn't find what you needed here, feel free to contact our customer service center by sending an email to [email protected] or call us at 1-800-883-8895. Customer service is available 8 a.m.- 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 am- 8pm Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/sites/eb/help/contact_us.asp

Will they accept DVDs to trade in or only Games? I pray to God they take dvds cause I have like no games to get rid of!!

Mike

[quote name='icarwngs55']Will they accept DVDs to trade in or only Games? I pray to God they take dvds cause I have like no games to get rid of!!

Mike[/QUOTE]

Wow. Let out the valley girl....

[quote name='icarwngs55']Will they accept DVDs to trade in or only Games? I pray to God they take dvds cause I have like no games to get rid of!!

Mike[/quote]

I can't see why you couldn't trade in DVDs, they count for all other Gamestop trade in deals

Where did this "Hawaii Only" thing came about? Is there an official source about the pre-order being only Hawaii? Links?

[quote name='oasisboy']Where did this "Hawaii Only" thing came about? Is there an official source about the pre-order being only Hawaii? Links?[/quote]

Look at the last two pages

[quote name='oasisboy']Where did this "Hawaii Only" thing came about? Is there an official source about the pre-order being only Hawaii? Links?[/quote]
The only store managers in the entire United States who know anything about this are in Hawaii.

I went by my GameStop to ask about this Wii thing, before I learned about the supposed Hawaii thing. The manager said he thought this was a crummy idea of GameStop's, and he didn't intend to inforce it. He said he'll call me as soon as he can take preorders.

Gotta have my Wii, dude.

[quote name='grandjedi6']Look at the last two pages[/quote]

I did and I couldnt find any official sources to back it up. I say bullshit about this Hawaii only thing. I could have said it was "Texas Only" and we could've had a bunch of people talking about "Texas Only" instead of being Hawaii. I think this is either a nice fake made in Photoshop or this is Legit Nationwide Offer that somehow leaked to us and the people at Gamestop are playing dumb...

If you really want to "prove it" yourself, then call a store in Hawaii like others actually have to confirm it.

Don't belive it until someone you trust writes it, but don't blast people for sharing infomation just because it isn't posted on CNN or something.

Seriously, how much longer do we need to leave this thread open with an unedited thread title? This should be locked or moved to the regional deal board.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']I was number two on the FYE list for the 360 and I got it MONTHS after launch.

Seriously though f*ck GS!!! I assume you have to reserve with trade ins at eb too right?[/quote]

Again:

360 launch -- 400,000
Wii launch -- I think we can assume at least double that. There should be no problems at launch.

[quote name='oasisboy']I did and I couldnt find any official sources to back it up. I say bullshit about this Hawaii only thing. I could have said it was "Texas Only" and we could've had a bunch of people talking about "Texas Only" instead of being Hawaii. I think this is either a nice fake made in Photoshop or this is Legit Nationwide Offer that somehow leaked to us and the people at Gamestop are playing dumb...[/quote]

The 'official sources' are here in Hawaii. Corporate has yet to inform the rest of the mainland about this, which is why no one on the maindland knows about it.

You can find lots of articles on the Internet about it, and almost all of them have been confirmed either by talking to corporate itself, or by simply calling a store down here in Hawaii.

Its 3:31 PM right here in Hawaii, so look up a store on GameStop.com and give one of the stores a call. They'll tell you about the offer, and might even tell you to come in to get a poster for the full details. Of course you can't come down a grab a poster, so you'll just have to trust (or not trust) the images that I've provided.

It doesn't really matter at this point anyway because this is Hawaii only and its nationwide deployment has yet to be deicded.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Seriously, how much longer do we need to leave this thread open with an unedited thread title? This should be locked or moved to the regional deal board.[/quote]

This is the second time u've suggested this, and the last time you received one comment, which was negative. Obviously everyone ignored your dumb suggestion and only one person cared to comment before, so why make another post about it? This thread has been here for quite awhile now. We dont see you contributing, so go away, cuz this thread will remain open.

[quote name='Americanpierg']This is the second time u've suggested this, and the last time you received one comment, which was negative. Obviously everyone ignored your dumb suggestion and only one person cared to comment before, so why make another post about it? This thread has been here for quite awhile now. We dont see you contributing, so go away, cuz this thread will remain open.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't want the thread to die, he wants the title to be changed back to "Wii Pre-Order Thread" - the One Week only tagline is FALSE for everywhere but Hawaii. YOU know that, people coming to the thread for the first time DO NOT, which is generating confusion...

[quote name='NamPaehc']
Don't belive it until someone you trust writes it, but don't blast people for sharing infomation just because it isn't posted on CNN or something.[/quote]

If it aint on cnn.com, or ign.com or something like that then it COULD be false...

[quote name='hack']The 'official sources' are here in Hawaii. Corporate has yet to inform the rest of the mainland about this, which is why no one on the maindland knows about it.[/quote]

Last time I checked Gamestop' headquarters were in Grapevine, TX so the "official sources are not in Hawaii" (unless the Boardroom of Gamestop is partying over there! :lol: (http://www.hoovers.com/gamestop/--ID__12716--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml)

[quote name='hack'] You can find lots of articles on the Internet about it, and almost all of them have been confirmed either by talking to corporate itself, or by simply calling a store down here in Hawaii. [/quote]

Just because they are on the internet they don't necessarily mean its true information (unless its cnn.com or bbcnews.com, etc). I can put on my homepage that I work at Gamestop and that the ps3 preorders will start on Monday...

[quote name='hack']
It doesn't really matter at this point anyway because this is Hawaii only and its nationwide deployment has yet to be deicded.[/quote]
You say this is Hawaii only because the stores over there have the poster, and have confirmed the offer. But I guess we will find out if this nationwide on Monday...

[quote name='oasisboy']Last time I checked Gamestop' headquarters were in Grapevine, TX so the "official sources are not in Hawaii" (unless the Boardroom of Gamestop is partying over there! :lol: (http://www.hoovers.com/gamestop/--ID__12716--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml)[/quote]

I meant the official sources regarding this particular event. Considering that everyone around the country has been asking their stores about this, and the only people that can confirm it are in Hawaii. I realize that the actual big wigs are probably not down here partying or planning something evil.

[quote name='oasisboy']Just because they are on the internet they don't necessarily mean its true information (unless its cnn.com or bbcnews.com, etc). I can put on my homepage that I work at Gamestop and that the ps3 preorders will start on Monday... [/quote]

I say look on the Internet because I can't drive you to one of my local stores and show you all the information and let the employees talk to you. Although as many of us have said, give the Hawaii stores a call, ask them and also ask them if this is a nationwide thing, and you'll get your answer.

Considering that pretty much no employees on the mainland know about this, its safe to assume that the Hawaii employees actually involved in this test/event know the most.

[quote name='oasisboy']You say this is Hawaii only because the stores over there have the poster, and have confirmed the offer. But I guess we will find out if this nationwide on Monday...[/quote]

I say its Hawaii only because...

1) The poster itself contains no branding for EB Games. Hawaii does not own any EB games, so it doesn't make sense to put EB branding on a poster specifically designed for Hawaii.

2) Employees in Hawaii have told me, and other people over the phone (and in person), that this is a Hawaii thing only.

3) No other employees in the country have heard about this and it begins on Monday. I know GameStop wants to be more cautious considering the Xbox 360 issues, so I'm sure they'd probably inform their stores as soon as possible as to not cause mass panic or anger.

4) It seems that ONLY Hawaii has these posters. I'm sure we would've seen some from many other states if this were a nationwide thing, after all, the Hawaii stores have begun advertising the event, so I assume that the rest of the nation would have the same permission to start advertising. Of course, thats not happening because its only Hawaii. ;)

My store isn't running this promotion and no one knows anything about it. So if it is for real, it's a Hawaii only thing, which is very possible considering they will probably get a very small amount of PS3s and Wiis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back