Wii price drop (Confirmed for Sunday) $199 TRU, Target, Best Buy ad leaks

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
this has finally been confirmed by Best Buy internal emails. The price drop will be officially announced by Nintendo on 9/25:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/22/wii-price-drop-confirmed-199-starting-this-weekend/

Ad Leaks

http://kotaku.com/5359038/toys-r-us-ad-points-to-199-wii-price-drop-this-month

Also, if you notice, in the TRU ad, there is a bonus that has a $12.99 value. According to CAG prim4444 the bonus is a Nintendo T-Shirt. Thanks!

500x_wii_tru_price_cut.jpg

Target ad proof:
[quote name='Fernando Rocker']An anonymous tipster sends us this picture of an alleged Target circular for the week of September 27th, joining Wal-Mart and Toys R Us on the $199.99 Wii price drop bandwagon.
Sure it's blurry and only a partial picture of the full page, but the information in this picture coincides with the information we've seen previously in rumored ads from both Wal-Mart and Toys R Us, sharing the exact date with the latter.

This latest ad also fuels our suspicions that Nintendo will make a big price drop announcement during the Tokyo Game Show next week, despite the fact that the company does not have an official presence at the show.

Via Kotaku.

500x_targetad.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Best Buy
c6a6s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The HD Wii is "supposedly" coming out Christmas 2010. Why though? They don't do next gen graphics. Really good deal for those without a Wii but I'd be pissed if I bought this a few weeks ago. What I'm really surprised at is that they aren't coming out with multiple colors. They missed an opportunity here for those wanting black to match all their other consoles.

[quote name='sadunk']The HD Wii is "supposedly" coming out Christmas 2010. Why though? They don't do next gen graphics. Really good deal for those without a Wii but I'd be pissed if I bought this a few weeks ago. What I'm really surprised at is that they aren't coming out with multiple colors. They missed an opportunity here for those wanting black to match all their other consoles.[/QUOTE]

spray paint?

I think this will be an attractive price point for anyone really wanting one, but those that have it like myself will know that there's just better alternatives out there now that both the 360 and PS3 dropped in price and offer much better games. I bought my Wii on launch day and have been disappointed with it ever since I stopped playing Wii Sports. Once I upgraded my TV to a 42" HD set, the graphics have took a nosedive. I bought the special HD cables and while some games look better, most have a jagged edge appearance that makes them completely unappealing. I still pick up the occasional Wii game here and there, but I rarely finish them because there's just not enough in the package to keep me playing.

Someone mentioned downloadable games being a perk of the system but that's just saying, "here, take $50 off the system and then spend that money by purchasing old games."

Dell frequently runs deals for 15% off on the basic Wii package, so now a little patience can net you a Wii for $170.

Still not worth buying for me. Maybe next time it drops I'll replace my GCN.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Shakalaka. The question is whether I should pick it up B&M and pay tax thereby enabling me to enjoy the mountain of games I've been buying for it OR should I get it from Amazon and wait another week but pay no tax?[/QUOTE]

I'm facing the same dilemma. Buy it in a local B&M and pay tax or be cheap and wait for Amazon.

Oh what the hell, I'm gonna go cheap. I've been waiting for years to get a cheap Wii. Whats another couple of weeks? That, and I don't have to be bothered with wasting gas and driving to a store.

[quote name='TerraBemani']So does anyone think a used wii could be $150 now?[/QUOTE]

easily, i just scored a new wii on craigslist this past weekend for $170 thanks to the news of the drop, so it shouldn't be too hard to find used ones at 150, especially when more people know about it.

I would buy the console from wherever they give you some extra goodies like 2nd remote or free games bundled. For instance for ps3 slim tru was offering a free 2nd remote which is a very good deal.

[quote name='Spacepest']I'm facing the same dilemma. Buy it in a local B&M and pay tax or be cheap and wait for Amazon.

Oh what the hell, I'm gonna go cheap. I've been waiting for years to get a cheap Wii. Whats another couple of weeks? That, and I don't have to be bothered with wasting gas and driving to a store.[/QUOTE]

The Amazon option is certainly the responsible choice. However, my black Wii/Chuck/WM+ remote arrived in the mail today. I have been so very careful about spending for the past year that it will feel good to finally just go out and 'splurge' since it's really only about $15 in taxes.

I only want to buy three DS imports, NSMB and Wario Shake IT before the end of the year and Shake IT is truly a low priority. I literally don't need or want anything else be it clothes, tools, computer parts or winter equipment. fuck it I think I've just convinced myself out loud to part with the $15.

Any deals on this anywhere? I figure with expected sales boost of this price cut some stores will try to get lion share of the sales with extras like gift card or free game or accessory.

[quote name='cochesecochese']The Amazon option is certainly the responsible choice. However, my black Wii/Chuck/WM+ remote arrived in the mail today. I have been so very careful about spending for the past year that it will feel good to finally just go out and 'splurge' since it's really only about $15 in taxes.

I only want to buy three DS imports, NSMB and Wario Shake IT before the end of the year and Shake IT is truly a low priority. I literally don't need or want anything else be it clothes, tools, computer parts or winter equipment. fuck it I think I've just convinced myself out loud to part with the $15.[/QUOTE]

Is the Black Controller set available in the US already? I thought it was a later this holiday thing.

That being said I notice that Amazon sells the official white GC controller now. It'll be nice to be able to grab that without having to import.

[quote name='maximumzero']Is the Black Controller set available in the US already? I thought it was a later this holiday thing.

That being said I notice that Amazon sells the official white GC controller now. It'll be nice to be able to grab that without having to import.[/QUOTE]
Play-Asia, baby.

S'funny...when the original console releases in white once it's availabe in black everyone wants one...when the console is black then comes in white.

Although I admit wii shiny black and it's accessories is sexah...

Are the black wii controllers compatible with US models? I'm going to Hong Kong again soon.

[quote name='100xp']
Are the black wii controllers compatible with US models? I'm going to Hong Kong again soon.[/QUOTE]

Any accessory can be used with any region.

I'm just saying....Nintendo could have at least turned on the option to play DVDs! I think you have to use homebrew to do it....

I might be in the minority, but did nintendo reallly have to drop their price???? I don't know, but it just seems like it wasn't needed. People still want it and at one point were paying 700+ for it. Wii mania might be quiet due to huge production (the biggest marketing ploy in recent history....impossible to believe they couldn't keep up with demand!) but I still think parents would have bought it at 250

[quote name='strongpimphand']I might be in the minority, but did nintendo reallly have to drop their price???? I don't know, but it just seems like it wasn't needed.[/QUOTE]

If Nintendo did it, it was needed. People can make snarky comments about the Wii all thread long, but the bottom line is Nintendo knows how to make money. They wouldn't be dropping the price out of some altruistic idealism. ;)

They're probably realising that against a $299 PS3 and $249 Xbox 360 (the $199 arcade doesn't quite count since you really need to buy the HD to get a "full" 360 experience), the Wii was in danger of losing its whole marketing point-- that they're trying to make games more accessible. They may not have really NEEDED to drop the price, but I'm sure Nintendo wants to keep the Wii as the biggest selling console this generation and especially leading up into Christmas so this was a really smart move.

If the rumors are true that Nintendo's made money on every Wii sold since day 1, they're not really hurting to do this drop and it'll probably do well to keep sales up against the PS3/360's improved sales.

(is this the longest a "major" console stayed at launch price?)

just tried to purchase one at walmart. lady said that it "doesn't go down until October 4th" according to the ad she showed me. alas, Walmart just lost out on 200 beans.

bread's done
Back