Wii Price maybe Confirmed (At least in Japan)

suko_32

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
Found this at the-magicbox.com.

"- Famitsu reported that Nintendo's senior management director Yoshihiro Mori has confirmed the price of Wii, the console will cost 25000 yen (US$222) in Japan. The price is about 1/3 of PS3 and less than half of Xbox 360."

Wonder what ours will be.

Edit: May 30
From magicbox again....

"W i i

- Japanese retailers have begin to accept reservation of the Nintendo Wii console, while an official price hasn't been announced, some Japanese retailers are expecting the price of Wii to be 18,000 yen (US$160)."

Soo......wtf?

Still could be around $25 above and below that price, meaning we're still stuck speculating between $199 and $249.

And the waiting game continues....

The cube launched at 25,000 yen and $200, 64 launched at $200 and I dunno if it was 25,000 yen (probably), SNES launched at 25,000 yen and $200.

My money is on $200, maybe two packages at $200 and $250 (like the NES).

I'm gonna say $225, I know it sounds like an odd price but it makes sense. People who are expecting to buy it at $200 won't balk at the extra $25, and they can eventually lower it to the $200 price point without it being a huge drop.

Nah $200 sounds better for a US market where they're struggling.

25,000 yen wasn't chosen because they wanted it priced $222 in japan.. it was chosen cause its a nice even number for retail. I'd say $200 is our nice even number for US retail.

$250 with zelda and a few VC downloads.

I'm leaning on $200 for basically the same reasons as jer7583. They want to make a bang in the US market (which the GameCube failed to do).

If they do a bundle with Zelda then I hope they include the full-size plastic case with the artwork and manual. I hear the DS bundles have the game cards in a little cardboard sleeve.

[quote name='boyward']If they do a bundle with Zelda then I hope they include the full-size plastic case with the artwork and manual. I hear the DS bundles have the game cards in a little cardboard sleeve.[/QUOTE]

They did with the Zelda OoT/Master Quest bundle. Not that it was any fancy packaging but it was good enough. I think for other deals where you got a free game with the system they just let you pick the game off the shelf.

They should at least pack in whatever type of memory card they're going to use and a second controller. Although I understand why nobody has done this in a while, it still sucks to have to buy another controller just for someone else to use for every system.

Are any stores taking pre-orders on the Wii yet? (and I don't mean adding your name to a list so they can call you when they start taking pre-orders).

$200 is what i'm hoping for, and what i've said it will be from the beginning. although i would easily pay $250 or whatever for a special edition Zelda Wii system that comes with the game and maybe another Wiimote

[quote name='SMMM']It's $200. If it isn't, I slice my hand off and provide pics.[/quote]

Damn, now I want it to be $250...

[quote name='banpeikun']nintendo consoles have always costed less here than in japan. that's almost a sure $200.[/quote] Yeah. The DS Lite was selling for $150 in japan(direct currency change) and we're getting it for $130 here in America.

[quote name='suko_32']Found this at the-magicbox.com.

"- Famitsu reported that Nintendo's senior management director Yoshihiro Mori has confirmed the price of Wii, the console will cost 25000 yen (US$222) in Japan. The price is about 1/3 of PS3 and less than half of Xbox 360."

Wonder what ours will be.[/QUOTE]

Magicbox is the only place that said the price was CONFIRMED. That, according to other sources, was the CEILING price given. They said it would be no more than 25,000Y or $250USD. I'd expect the price to actually be lower than that. In the US, I bet we'll get the console, 1 controller (remote + chuck, no virtual console appendage), $199.

[quote name='alongx']Magicbox is the only place that said the price was CONFIRMED. That, according to other sources, was the CEILING price given. They said it would be no more than 25,000Y or $250USD. I'd expect the price to actually be lower than that. In the US, I bet we'll get the console, 1 controller (remote + chuck, no virtual console appendage), $199.[/quote]

I think it will come with a classic controller, maybe two Wii remotes. I think it will come with a classic controller just so that everybody has one by default.

[quote name='SpazX']I think it will come with a classic controller, maybe two Wii remotes. I think it will come with a classic controller just so that everybody has one by default.[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right, don't get me wrong, but I don't see Nintendo packing two remotes and a classic controller with the console. I want to see Nintendo pack a classic controller in with every remote/chuck combo controller box they sell, but I doubt that'd happen. The fact is, though, that they'd stand to make more money most likely selling each thing separately, and by not packing two remotes in, that means they'll cash in on at least 1 more controller per console on day one.

I'm still hoping that Wii Sports/Wii Music is a pack in game, or that they're at least no more than $25 a pop. I want to play some tennis and practice my drumming.

i think all your prices are wrong

its actually...

199.99! haha xp

no but really as banpeikun said... isn't the trend with consoles that the japanese counterpart is more expensive than the united states one when you did a direct conversion?

Sony & Xbox 360 not doing well this holiday!!

WII for $199.99 includes (1) WII mote + (1) nunchuck, (1) WII classic control + 5 classic games for download + All the cable & adapter.

Possible buy any WII game and get 3-5 free classic games for download.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Sony & Xbox 360 not doing well this holiday!!

WII for $199.99 includes (1) WII mote + (1) nunchuck, (1) WII classic control + 5 classic games for download + All the cable & adapter.

Possible buy any WII game and get 3-5 free classic games for download.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't get your hopes up on free classic games if I were you. Nintendo said @ E3 they haven't even finalized if it is going to be a subscription based or per title thing.

[quote name='Foolman']Why are people thinking that so many things will be packaged in?[/QUOTE]

because they are idiots and or dreamers

$200 for a console and the single nunchuk controller and wiimote. That's the only option I can see. There will be nothing more in the $200 version. There may be a bundling later on from what I've seen, but right off the bat, I doubt it.

[quote name='alongx']Magicbox is the only place that said the price was CONFIRMED. That, according to other sources, was the CEILING price given. They said it would be no more than 25,000Y or $250USD. I'd expect the price to actually be lower than that. In the US, I bet we'll get the console, 1 controller (remote + chuck, no virtual console appendage), $199.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

People don't seem to realize this.

Here is part of the press release. Thought everyone had already seen this in the other five topics about pricing.

Following its overwhelming debut at E3 2006, Nintendo today announced the current fiscal year unit shipment forecast for its new home game system, Wii™. Nintendo also confirmed that the price of the Wii system, which incorporates unique freehand control, will not exceed $250 in America, or ¥25,000 in Japan. The company plans to ship 6 million systems to retailers around the world between its launch in the fourth quarter of 2006 and the end of its fiscal year on March 31, 2007.
They are max prices.

I agree that Nintendo has no reason to give us free games. You're dreaming if you want free downloads (They're going to be what, ~$5? They aren't losing 25 bucks for nothin) and a free classic controller.

Free classic controller is possible since it is necassary for some games (like Smash). Either that, or they'll bundle it with the games that need it.

Although, I do remember a lot of people getting pissed when they realized they couldn't play Perfect Dark or Majora's Mask without the expansion pak. I hope they don't make that same mistake.

I'm guessing (along with a few others in here) that the system, one wiimote + nunchuck will be $199.99. No free downloads, no shells, and no games.

I could see the Wii Sports being packaged in, that things pretty basic. That way out the box you could see what its capable of. If not the full version, a demo at least.

Just saw this on magic-box

"W i i

- Japanese retailers have begin to accept reservation of the Nintendo Wii console, while an official price hasn't been announced, some Japanese retailers are expecting the price of Wii to be 18,000 yen (US$160)."

Sooooo.....I'm gonna change the title. This seems kinda fishy somewhat. Conflicting things on their own site.

I'm banking on 229 with Wii Sports and two Wiimotes.

Think about it: Nintendo chose "Wii" for a reason, and packing in two controllers right off the bat would only support that. Given the rather bare bones gameplay of Wii Sports, it'd only make sense that it'd be chosen for a pack-in title - either that or WarioWare, but Sports is more likely (since WarioWare is like "Hey look like 200 mini-games" and Wii Sports is like "Hey look like shit you do in real life").

They ARE trying to appeal to a wider market this time, after all. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a "beefier" package more suited to the average gamer, with WarioWare and Sports, a Retro Controller, a Light Gun, and a free trial of the Virtual Console for 249.

bread's done
Back