Wii really worth getting at launch for non-Zelda fans?

SonicPower

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm in quite a confused state about how I should spend my money this holiday season.

I can either:

1) Purchase a Wii and a game: ~$300 USD

or

2) Purchase a handful of X360 Games: Splinter Cell Double Agent, Gears of War, and Rainbow 6 Vegas.

The only game that appeals to me for the Wii is Red Steel and Wii Sports.

Is it really worth getting a Wii at launch?

If you feel that you are going to get a Wii to play, then by all means, buy one. Video game hardware takes a lot longer to drop in price than software. By February, I would expect Splinter Cell and R6 to drop in price.

I'm getting the Wii so I can play Wii Sports and then I'm going to grab Red Steel. I'm getting Zelda for Gamecube because I'm not standing and swinging for the estimated 70 hour game.

[quote name='Predator21281'] I'm not standing and swinging for the estimated 70 hour game.[/quote]

Off topic:

Will it ever end?

OK, back on topic.

Go to the store and try it out the week before launch. Getting hands on time with it may alter your perspective on it. Then decide.

I'm not a big zelda fan myself. The only thing I'm getting this year is Trauma Center. That and Wii Sports will hold me for quite some time.

For me, no. If Zelda was Wii exclusive, I'd get one at launch, but by just getting the Gamecube one I'm only missing the Wii controls and widescreen... all the content is the same, and I can live with that.

None of the other games have the draw for me as Zelda does, and releasing it on the GC means I can, at least right now, save $250 until Metroid Prime 2 or Smash Brothers Brawl comes out.

I'm one of the few that are easily pleased with games. I am getting Zelda, but I am also looking forward to Monkey Ball, Super Swing Golf (Mario Golf type game), and Red Steel. To me, the wii has a very good launch lineup. I would get this.

EDIT: But I am also getting Gears of War later on today, so I guess if you had to choose......

[quote name='Roufuss']For me, no. If Zelda was Wii exclusive, I'd get one at launch, but by just getting the Gamecube one I'm only missing the Wii controls and widescreen... all the content is the same, and I can live with that.

None of the other games have the draw for me as Zelda does, and releasing it on the GC means I can, at least right now, save $250 until Metroid Prime 2 or Smash Brothers Brawl comes out.[/quote]

Metroid Prime 2 came out already so I guess you can't save any money now! :lol:

Just messing with you...

I'd sooner wait...for like Smash bros/Mario/Metroid Prime 3... although there probably wont be a drop in price by then, so...

There are a few other games besides Zelda that do interest me... like RS, CoD3, and Wii Sports but without Zelda, I don't know if I'd buy a Wii.

[quote name='Roufuss']For me, no. If Zelda was Wii exclusive, I'd get one at launch, but by just getting the Gamecube one I'm only missing the Wii controls and widescreen... all the content is the same, and I can live with that.

None of the other games have the draw for me as Zelda does, and releasing it on the GC means I can, at least right now, save $250 until Metroid Prime 2 or Smash Brothers Brawl comes out.[/quote]
If you are going to spend the $250 eventually, wouldn't you rather spend it now and play a better Zelda and enjoy the Wii (and its included features and WiiSports) for the 2+ months until Corruption and Brawl come out?

Unless of course, your $250 is sensitive at the moment.

EDIT: For me, I'll be getting Trauma Center and Monkey Ball at launch. Zelda will be for after finals.

I'm getting one at launch and I am not a big zelda fan. I'd play it, but I'm not bothered about it.

I'm picking up trauma center at launch, then later picking up Super Swing Golf (I can't believe more people aren't picking this up, it's the one that's making me get the wii so early), and Elebits. I know there's more I'll want in the new year, as well, and like someone else said, the wii is going to hold it's price-- those games could easily drop in price in a few months, or you might come across a good deal on them or something.

Then again, I might be waiting on the wii until February or something if there were more 360 games I wanted more than the Wii ones-- There's a few, but the Wii ones are grabbing my attention more, so for now I'm just gonna pick up viva pinata and let the prices on the other ones I want work their way down.

I would buy it if I wasn't a Zelda fan. Red Steel fuses the FPS genre with arcade style gun games. I LOVE the arcade style gun games. Plus the recent previews say Red Steels controls have been fixed and are great. I really am looking forward to this game.

Plus Trauma Center looks to be great and much better then the DS version by all accounts.

If you think you'd buy a Wii eventually within the next six months, or say before June 2007, then go ahead and get it now. The price won't drop before then, so you might as well get it now and enjoy it fully. If you can wait until next fall to buy one, then I'd say skip it. GOW and other X360 titles will drop in price in the coming months far quicker than the Wii hardware will.

But that's just my opinion. I haven't decided if I will get the Wii or wait on a PS3. I'm very town about video games at the moment.

zelda on the wii is said to be so much better by its reviewers. Also i dont think that zelda on gc is going to have fishing.

the wii version has had the most time put into it, and i hear they fixed alot of the archery bugs, and the sword mechanics are really polished for the final build.

I would hold off. Wait to see that there are games on the system you want to play and then get one. Early-adopting when you're unsure about a system is pretty much a sure-fire way to be disappointed.

Get the games coming out now for systems you own and are interested in and wait a few months to see what comes out for the Wii and what people's general reactions are to it. Then you can make a more informed choice.

It sounds as though FPS is favorite kind of game, so why not stick with some choice 360 games for this fall. Gears of War is getting ridiculously good reviews and I though the Rainbow Six demo was a lot of fun. Personally, I've been spending a good part of my afternoon playing through Ultimate Alliance, have FEAR on the table unopened, and Gears paid off at EB. As much as I like Zelda games, I like Metroid even more which is why I'm now leaning towards waiting until spring. (Of course if I happen upon a brand-new Wii instore I'm not sure I could resist the temptation)

bread's done
Back