Wii Shop Channel Thread - 01/05: Kirby's Dream Land 3, Sandy Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='crunchewy']SuperGrafx - was that system released in the US? If not I guess there would be both a translation and SuperGrafx premium added?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Hopefully they'd just tack on the import fee but who knows.

2 Wiiware, 1 VC.

WiiWare

Snowboard Riot™ (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Fantasy Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): This snowboard racing and battle game can be enjoyed by multiple players and is compatible with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory. In an intense scramble for first place, guide your character down the slopes while snatching up items to attack and defend against rivals along the way. Up to four players can battle and participate in various ranking modes via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection.

LONPOS (Nintendo, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Looking for a puzzle game that anyone can play, but still offers plenty to master? Look no further than LONPOS, with its straightforward premise and large variety of puzzles to solve. Each puzzle revolves around a rectangular playing field of 55 spaces. Using a set of 12 pieces, the goal is to place every piece into the playing field, filling it completely. The higher the level, the more pieces you'll need to fit correctly into the playing field. Challenge yourself with two single-player modes or bring a friend to compete against or cooperate with. When you think your skills are worthy, use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to check out how you compare with other LONPOS players or download additional puzzles and backgrounds. (Router and broadband access required for online play. For more info, go to www.nintendo.com.)

Virtual Console

Sonic Chaos™ (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Play as Sonic or Tails in Sonic Chaos, which was originally made for the SEGA MASTER SYSTEM. Dr. Eggman (a.k.a. Dr. Robotnik) has stolen the Red Chaos Emerald to create nuclear weapons. This has thrown the remaining Chaos Emeralds off balance, causing them to transport to a parallel universe. As a result, Sonic's home, South Island, is sinking into the ocean. Speed through various levels in your crusade for the six Chaos Emeralds. Perform Strike Dashes and Super-Peel Outs as Sonic, or Spin Dash and Fly as Tails, and restore order in Sonic Chaos.

I don't know anything about Sonic Chaos, but since it's Sonic on the 8bit SMS, I can't imagine it ran that well.

LONPOS I remember not being very worthwhile. Snowboard Riot I have no clue about - I figure it can't be terrible, but can't be better than average. It can't be better than We Ski, right? We Ski 2 is coming out soon anyway, and I imagine the extra price there would be better spent, since you'll get more to do with a more refined game AND not have to deal with storage issues.

So another meh week. We gotta start keeping track of how long Nintendo pulls that off, not unlike the "___ days without an accident!" signs you'll see at factories, brothels, quarries, mines, and brothel quarries.

Forcing nuts into the titles felt heavyhanded, or at least moreso than last week. Snownut Riot, Sonic Nuts, LONUTS.

Hehe, I guess LONUTS works well enough.

At least Snowboard Riot seems to have online play and balance board support, at least if I'm reading the text right. And that is all I've seen - your text version. I'd like to see any video of it and certainly any reviews. I'm not going to write it off just yet.

What WiiWare needs, though, are games that are essentially new VC games, but with online play, balance board support, Wii Speak, etc. Go low grade on the graphics and high-grade on the features. If you stick to 2D, then "low-grade" is relative anyway. I like the look of 2D games.

I'll probably give the snowboard game a shot in the next few days and post impressions here if anyone cares. I don't have the space, but I still want to try every Balance Board game.

I was a Master System fanatic for many years and I have never even heard of the Sonic game that came out this week.

I think Nintendo should come out with a dating sim game and it will sell at least 100,000 copies. :cool: At least that is better than most of the crap we get.

Snowboard Riot is 271 blocks

Played the game a bit, and it's decent. It's no 1080, but it's alright. As for Balance Board support, I'm pretty bad at balance games in Wii Fit, so I can't comment on it too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='EXStrike']Snowboard Riot is 271 blocks

Played the game a bit, and it's decent. It's no 1080, but it's alright. As for Balance Board support, I'm pretty bad at balance games in Wii Fit, so I can't comment on it too much.[/quote]
Cool - thanks for the mini-review. Is it more racing-oriented, or focused on tricks?

By the way, thank you Strell for posting the updates the last few weeks - I really appreciate it!

[quote name='wii skiier']Cool - thanks for the mini-review. Is it more racing-oriented, or focused on tricks?[/quote]

Racing.

I taught one to say IWANTTOMUSIC. I taught another to say OVER 9000.

After I finish Fallout 3, it's back 100% into AC, and BOING will be first on the agenda.

I'm talking about when I first discovered it. After I was shown the thread, your sig started making sense.

Virtual Console.

actually sonic chaos was a game gear game, but since Europe loved the master system, a lot of gg games were ported to master system

[quote name='Strell']MR. SATURN SAYS BOING

LYLE FROM ANIMAL CROSSING SAYS BANG

/RAGE

:]

Awwwwww@life size. I wants one. :[ He'd go very well with my Kick-The-Cheat. They could be friends.[/QUOTE]

:cry:

itoidance.gif

[quote name='Halo05']Nope. Hopefully they'd just tack on the import fee but who knows.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I checked the VC Japan site again. Apparently, Nintendo's 800 point figure was a typo that they corrected, it's actually 600 points, same as every other regular PCE game. So if they were to bring it over to the USVC, then yes, all they would likely add on is the import premium.

[quote name='ddp72984']actually sonic chaos was a game gear game, but since Europe loved the master system, a lot of gg games were ported to master system[/QUOTE]

I kinda figured that. It's weird that we don't get the import fee added on.

I'd bitch about the VC here but at this point, I'm just going to have to buy a Japanese Wii and some points cards.

[quote name='Halo05']I kinda figured that. It's weird that we don't get the import fee added on.

I'd bitch about the VC here but at this point, I'm just going to have to buy a Japanese Wii and some points cards.[/QUOTE]

Would that work? I think you'd have to also be in Japan to be able to download anything from the Japanese VC, no?

I don't think so. I mean, online stores like NCSX sell the Japanese points cards so I'm assuming that if you have a Japanese system, you can access the Japanese store.

EDIT - I'd certainly do more research before I took the plunge but I'm dying to play TvC and possibly some Japanese Gamecube games.

Pole's Big Adventure looks like a fun parody of old 2-D platformers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45026.html

Not a bad use of 500 Wii Points, though I can't imagine Sega bringing over due to the Japanese announcer in the background (Though I would prefer them to keep the announcer and use English subtitles... unless they can find the announcer from Smash TV).

[quote name='Cao Cao']Even better!
They really want to put the Wii in WiiWare...[/quote]
That's hilarious. As much as I defend the bulk of the "family-friendly" Wii library, I wish we would get more mature (read as: immature) games like this in America. We're pretty scared of penises here though (especially erect ones), so we'll probably never get this game. Or we'll get a version where he eats a mushroom and grows breasts. America likes breasts.

Eduardo the Samurai Toaster trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdXeljR74B4

Look's pretty good. Gameplay reminds me of Gunstar Heroes, if perhaps a bit less frantic. Local 4 player is a good addition. Good/serviceable music.

Certain knobs were talking about whether or not it is wearing the indie art button proudly on its sleeve a while ago. It certainly appears to be doing that - some of the art direction will show this in spades, with very crudely drawn pencil sketches serving as the medium. I personally like this touch, let's not let that stop inane *cough* "discussions" from being had.

Overall, though, looks like a lot of fun. This is exactly the sort of thing Wiiware (and PSN/XBLA) need to be bringing to the table.

Finally - a game where we can hunt down that evil death bee.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Pole's Big Adventure looks like a fun parody of old 2-D platformers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45026.html

Not a bad use of 500 Wii Points, though I can't imagine Sega bringing over due to the Japanese announcer in the background (Though I would prefer them to keep the announcer and use English subtitles... unless they can find the announcer from Smash TV).[/quote]

This game looks like an updated form of the Famicom game Challenger. which is released on the Japanese VC.

[quote name='Strell']Eduardo the Samurai Toaster trailer:

*Snip*
[/quote]
Looks pretty awesome, I get a "Castle Crashers" feel from it personally.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Pole's Big Adventure looks like a fun parody of old 2-D platformers:

Not a bad use of 500 Wii Points, though I can't imagine Sega bringing over due to the Japanese announcer in the background (Though I would prefer them to keep the announcer and use English subtitles... unless they can find the announcer from Smash TV).[/quote]

Oh my god it looks like a shitty clone of Super Mario Bros, but with guns. Oh I want it badly :lol:.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Clayfighter? Really? I'm jealous.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. I want it. :cry:

That said, I should show my Xbox some love through Live. There's a lot I could get there - I need Catan and Uno at some point, and Castle Crashers, and Banjo-Kazooie... :whistle2:k

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I remember Clayfighter 64 63 1/3, and only playing as Taffy and Boogerman. They should rerelease that game at some point.[/quote]

I kinda hope they don't , since from what I remember Clayfighter 63 1/3 really sucked. Although if they really felt like releasing it (say to give us the complete series of 1 , 2 and 3 , which I wouldn't mind quite as much) then the least they could do is give the "blockbuster exclusive" sculptor's cut edition.

One Wiiware, one VC.

WiiWare

LIT (WayForward Technologies, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Violence, 800 Wii Points): Dark creatures have taken over Jake's high school, and it's up to you to guide him through each classroom in order to be reunited with his girlfriend Rachael. Existing light sources must be used smartly to create bridges of light for Jake to cross. One false step and Jake gets pulled into the darkness. Along the way he'll encounter twisted versions of his school's faculty, which must be battled in order to advance. LIT is a horror/puzzle game that requires the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controllers. It contains 30 levels, five boss battles, replay modes and several unlockables, including multiple endings, Dark Mode timed challenges and an unlockable character.

Virtual Console

Wolf of the Battlefield™: MERCS (SEGA GENESIS, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Mild Violence, 800 Wii Points): Following a rash of terrorism outbreaks and increasing opposition from guerilla fighters, the U.S. government has decided to hire a group of professional mercenaries to undergo secret missions, battling through enemy lines to go where no ordinary soldier would dare to go. Based on the popular arcade game, the SEGA GENESIS version of MERCS lets you play as a MERC and also adds an original mode, allowing players to choose from five different characters. Take no prisoners as you shoot, drive jeeps and tanks, and clash against huge bosses to accomplish your mission.

Wayforward is behind the WW title, who are mostly known for Shantae back from the GBC days, and Contra 4 DS from last year. They are a surprisingly quality outfit. I don't know much about their WW title, but the idea seemed original to begin with. I think it's an action puzzler of sorts. Waiting on reviews would be a good idea. Here be a movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1x0hXU3EQ

The VC title is the old arcade game MERCS. Which is a fun game, but it's your title "kill all the army doods" game. Kind of like a shmup, but with little doods instead of a ship. Not bad, just probably not worth the space problems/points.

Then may I suggest one last title change to "Wii Shop Channel Thread - XX/XX: It Doesn't Matter, It's Neither Earthbound, Nor A GOOD WiiWare Game"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back