Wii Shop Thread: ***FINAL FANTASY 3 IS OUT ON THE VC***

[quote name='dmunkee']Wow, I've been gone for so long. The Wii shop thread is under new management, I can run crap from the SD card, and Super Punch-Out!! is on VC!?

This thread has become a roller coaster of emotions for me just now.[/QUOTE]

Earthbound still isnt out, and it isnt coming out so you know its good ole Nintendo.

Tomorrow UK gets Majora's Mask!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2008/tomorrow_on_virtual_console_12149.html

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask – Nintendo 64
The acclaimed sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time arrives on Virtual Console! Link must wield the power of several magical masks to save the land from destruction – and he has only 72 hours to do it! Majora's Mask is an epic, gripping race against time that should belong in every fan's collection

[quote name='MisterModest']Yup, this week Europe only got 1 VC game, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 1000 Points/N64.[/quote]

...!

I wonder if they fixed the emulation issues so many have discussed. I have Majora's Mask on one of the Collector's Disks, but might consider the VC version if it is somehow superior. If I recall, apparently the actual N64 one had issues, too. Any insight?

So, I thought it was kind of dumb that bit.trip.beat wouldn't let you use the d-pad or analog stick for control, but after trying it I realize that neither would've worked. Pretty fun game.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I wonder if they fixed the emulation issues so many have discussed. I have Majora's Mask on one of the Collector's Disks, but might consider the VC version if it is somehow superior. If I recall, apparently the actual N64 one had issues, too. Any insight?[/QUOTE]

I agree that we need our friends from across the pond to tell us if the emulation works better on this version or not.

Someone at Gonintendo did remark that sound issues were still apparent. I guess when you go into the main part of town with the giant clock or something? It gets off by a split second?

Here's a series of comments about it:
haleman: what the!?
the game STILL has sound issues while changing the current area…

Icevalk_Entertainment: on my system, there are NO sound issues or any issues whatsoever
runs perfect and looks amazing!

haleman: what i mean is the stuttering music while loading a new area of clock town…
this bugs me since the collector’s edition

Chanty: I don’t get why you’d be bugged by slight sound irregularity. It’s barely noticable :/

Moonmeat: Dude, ok, THAT slight stutter is not near as bad as the GC versions stutter that would even slow gameplay and music upon entering each new area (at least on my gc version anway) and then speeding up everything to catch back up.

It’s a small price to pay, well, minus the ten bucks, because it’s actually playable and you don’t have to keep hooking up the N64. For me, that’s a win.

Here's the video in question. I watched it and didn't notice anything off. Maybe someone can point that out to me.

So I got Super Punch Out a few days ago, I must admit I am really enjoying it a lot. Super Punch Out seems like a port of an arcade game (with a bit easier on the difficulity) while the original is all about timing and mastering each opponent's weakness (which is a lot harder).

Once I get money (LOL taking forever to get paid when starting a new job), I'll download super punch-out..and if we get Majora's Mask tomorrow. I never did play that.

WiiWare

EQUILIBRIO
(DK-GAMES, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): In EQUILIBRIO, you must finish a series of levels by moving a ball toward an exit. To move the ball, hold the Wii Remote™ controller horizontally and turn it to tilt the playfield. You can also play using the Wii Balance Board™ (sold separately with Wii Fit). The ball is fragile, so don't let it fall too far, and be sure to avoid deadly obstacles such as spikes and acid pools. The difficulty of the game adjusts according to your skill. Will you be tough enough to complete all 64 levels?

Virtual Console

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
(Super NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Cartoon Violence, Simulated Gambling, 800 Wii Points): Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is a game set in the Age of Discovery, the golden era of European global exploration during the early 16th century. There are six different characters to choose from, all with different backgrounds and different motivations. Once you've chosen a character to play, you're free to sail the world's oceans as you wish, visiting a variety of exotic ports and making thrilling new discoveries.

No Majora... disappointing.

[quote name='pop311']WiiWare

EQUILIBRIO
(DK-GAMES, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): In EQUILIBRIO, you must finish a series of levels by moving a ball toward an exit. To move the ball, hold the Wii Remote™ controller horizontally and turn it to tilt the playfield. You can also play using the Wii Balance Board™ (sold separately with Wii Fit). The ball is fragile, so don't let it fall too far, and be sure to avoid deadly obstacles such as spikes and acid pools. The difficulty of the game adjusts according to your skill. Will you be tough enough to complete all 64 levels?

Virtual Console

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
(Super NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Cartoon Violence, Simulated Gambling, 800 Wii Points): Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is a game set in the Age of Discovery, the golden era of European global exploration during the early 16th century. There are six different characters to choose from, all with different backgrounds and different motivations. Once you've chosen a character to play, you're free to sail the world's oceans as you wish, visiting a variety of exotic ports and making thrilling new discoveries.

No Majora... disappointing.[/QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly. Nintendo just kicked me in the nuts, and stomped on my face.

Plus, there aren't any new DSiWare games or anything. Just a reiteration of what it launched with.

And in the title, they make it sound like "OMG 6 DSiWARE TITLES!!! WOOOWWW!"

Except... they're the same ones that we could get yesterday.

/rant.

[quote name='pete5883']So, I thought it was kind of dumb that bit.trip.beat wouldn't let you use the d-pad or analog stick for control, but after trying it I realize that neither would've worked. Pretty fun game.[/quote]

Yeah, besides an actual paddle controller, I don't think another control scheme would work very well. I really like the game as well, but I am totally stuck on the final song. The difficulty really ramps up on that one.

I do wish they had a progress indicator to show you how far into the song you are. The last song seems to go on forever and I have no idea how close I am to finishing it.

This game seriously needs DLC.

No Majora's Mask means Microsoft gets my money this week. Penny Arcade Adventures for ten bucks seems like a pretty sweet deal.

[quote name='foltzie']Strell![/QUOTE]

Somebody's slacking. :nottalking:

[quote name='tiredfornow']Is there a DSiWare thread? I'm picking mine up today and I wanna know whats up.[/quote]i don't think we need a new thread. we just need to add and rename this thread right?

[quote name='Wolfkin']i don't think we need a new thread. we just need to add and rename this thread right?[/QUOTE]

This isnt a bad idea... Is it possible for a mod to have a thread appear in two sub-forums?

[quote name='foltzie']Strell![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Somebody's slacking. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

Urge to enact that one scene from Half Baked rising....

:]

Yeah yeah. I have a good excuse.

OR DO I?

I do. Trust me.

Picking up a DSi later today, so that'll be a good impetus.

[quote name='Wolfkin']i don't think we need a new thread. we just need to add and rename this thread right?[/quote]Well.. they are different systems. :p

Dear CAG,

Uncharted Waters 2 is Pretty Bitchin'. Uncharted Waters 2 for the SNES is Super Bitchin'. Do buy it.

Sincerely,
DTC

Last edited by a moderator:
You're confusing me Dr. Mario Crotch. I look forward to DSi ware reviews, although I'm not buying a DSi any time soon.

Hmmm... I almost bought Uncharted Waters when I was a little kid but my math was off that day and I didn't have the cash. Is it anything like Pirates Gold for the Genesis? That game was a blast.

DSi shop thread has been created right ova 'mnha.

I gots image making to do and other various updates to take care of. But I'm tired. I had to bring the pain last night in the Smash tourney.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Retronauts wrote a short piece about NH: Uncharted Waters
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8985366&publicUserId=4547783

As I said in the last topic, it's essentially Pirates! + Koei's signature micro-management and TBS battle style. I hear that for new folks, the best character to start with is either Catalina or Otto, as their storylines are shorter than the rest of the characters.[/quote]
Nah, go with either the Portuguese kid or the Turkish(?) guy. They both get merchant discounts.

EDIT: One of those two may or may not be named Otto. But either way, they're both awesome. Catalina starts with the coolest ship, though.

Otto is the old British chap, Ali is the Turkish merchant.

In other news, it seems that at least one company has been happy about the SD storage solution: Telltale Games of the Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People series. They said that since the SD card menu has been in place, their sales of the series have doubled.

I had 2000 Wii points. I now have 1000 Wii points. Those points will be spent of Majora's Mask. The 1000 points I just spent were for Strong Bad Episode 2.

I just finished the first part, which was pretty interesting. The old school game was a little weird. I also didn't realize I was doing a puzzle until I got up to that part. The humor is still pretty good, but I definitely think they had to made the graphics worse for Episode 2, notably on the Lappy 486 logo.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Otto is the old British chap, Ali is the Turkish merchant.

In other news, it seems that at least one company has been happy about the SD storage solution: Telltale Games of the Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People series. They said that since the SD card menu has been in place, their sales of the series have doubled.[/QUOTE]

To put that in some perspective, the first Strong Bad title was released in August of last year.

The SD update was announced on March 25th.

A game that had been available for seven months doubled its sales in two weeks. That's probably not exact, mind you, and the doubling of sales did include the other four titles, but even the last entry in the series was out for three months before the SD update was released.

I guess they really did need that SD update. :shock:

Europe is getting Bubble Bobble Plus! for Wiiware tomorrow:
http://www.gameguru.in/nintendo-wii...s-towering-adventure-for-wiiware-square-enix/

Wiifolder did a video tour of the game when it released in Japan in February. Sounds like an interesting title: 100 stages from the original game, 100 stages made for the Wii, and two DLC "Expert Levels" packs with 100 levels each.

EDIT: Speaking of WiiFolder, they recently did a tour of Kenji Eno's newly released Wiiware title, "You, Me, and Shape":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1qARvwn7PA

Oddly enough, my girlfriend the other day mentioned she would like to play Bubble Bobble again (we used to play it on the Taito Legends for Xbox... which is not BC on the 360) so hopefully we get Bubble Bobble Plus! soon.

This week, Europe got 3 WiiWare games, Bubble Bobble Plus! - 800 Points, Equilibrio - 500 Points, and Family & Friends Party - 1000 Points.

http://kotaku.com/5207494/reggie-wiiware-is-for-truly-innovative-games-not-mario

"That's not the point," Reggie fired back. "The point is, we want truly innovative content to be first launched on WiiWare. That's awfully tough to do with a Mario title."

Anybody who has played SPOGS Racing hates Reggie even more now. fuck SPOGS Racing.

How long would it take to develop LostWinds 2? It's been almost a year now, right? I was just remembering how awesome LostWinds was, although the ending was kinda bullshit.
OH HAI LOL, we're not actually done with the plot. See you in LostWinds 2!

I think Reggie missed the fact that they released a game called "Dr. Mario Online Rx" on Wii Ware. Clearly Wii Ware IS for Mario since he's appeared on the service and is a consistent seller.

Translation: "We would rather release a Mario game on the Wii where we can charge $50.00 for... or the DS where we can charge $30.00+"

And we'd rather not make an awesome 2d Mario game ala Mega Man 9 and break all manner of WiiWare sales records... New Super Mario Brothers was okay but Mega Man 9 is legitimately as good as any other Megaman game I've played, I wouldn't put NSMB over Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World.

[quote name='Halo05']And we'd rather not make an awesome 2d Mario game ala Mega Man 9 and break all manner of WiiWare sales records... New Super Mario Brothers was okay but Mega Man 9 is legitimately as good as any other Megaman game I've played, I wouldn't put NSMB over Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World.[/quote]
Yeah. Rant on hard games:
I don't like games that are hard just for the sake of being hard (Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden) although I do see the appeal of beating x hard level in a genre you enjoy. I love Super Monkey Ball, and I have tried many times to beat an evilly hard level of SMB/SMB2. But the difference is SMB starts easy and gets difficult. I can beat one level of MM9 (and even that took lots of practice) and I think I got to the first boss of NGII after like a half hour... not my style.
I forever long for new games in the style of Super Mario World. Even the highest quality hacks I've seen are either hard for the sake of being hard and require an emulator and save states (see rant) or are not that great.

Ok, let's back up a second here. You people need to wife up that knowledge, and lucky for you, I have the power vested in me. Specifically, in my pants. Aren't you lucky.

First off, Mario - in terms of a pure platforming series - is handled with a lot of care. There's been exactly three console versions in thirteen years, and really only one new 2D version on the DS (not counting Yoshi's Island, which is up for debate). Still, point being is that he's treated as something of a landmark thing.

Given that, I doubt there's any first party teams that either A) want to make a Wiiware version, or B) would be given the option unless they could really demonstrate something unique that would really call for it.

Further, I'm guessing the inherent limitations all over the place put the kibosh on the idea. Spacing issues would force it into an uncomfortable corner. It's pretty clear that a good portion of the Wii audience wouldn't even know about a Wiiware game (not taking their systems online), wouldn't care, or just simply would view it as inherently less valid as a true retail release. All of these things don't look favorable when it comes to turning a profit and creating a unique product. That's going to torpedo securing the funding from the get go (since you'd have to make that case to all the people inside NCL/NOA who make those decisions).

I doubt Nintendo would want to release a game in the same vein as Megaman 9. Why? Mmmm. For all the reasons above, as well as I could see them viewing it as a "cheap cash in" sort of thing, since the graphics would be in some retro format.

So in some bizarre hurts-my-nuts way, Reggie's got a point. (Note the nut-hurting there - I am not agreeing to all of, but I am spelling them out.)

It doesn't help that - as others pointed out - you could release it on the DS and charge more money for it, or even as a retail Wii release. Then you've got better market exposure, the devs can get proper treatment of the series, etc etc. You can get mad about it all you want, but that's the breaks.

Now, the other part of this discussion - "SPOGS isn't innovative" - is pretty much defeated in a similar, easy manner.

Whenever we talk about the games a service or console offers, what do we focus on? The good shit. You didn't buy an SNES to play Captain Novolin, or an NES to play Color-A-Dinosaur. You got those systems for their awesome titles - Chrono Trigger, FF6, Super Metroid, right alongside Mario Bros 1/2/3, Zelda, etc.

Same with Wiiware. Why focus on the bad shit that's there and obviously doesn't uphold the idea of an innovative/good piece of software? We're not interested in that. We want to check out games like Bit.Trip Beat, Lostwinds, World of Goo, and so on. Throwing out this OMFG [SHITTY GAME] IS GOING ON WIIWARE OVER A MARIO? tantrum doesn't make you look like you've caught someone in a lie - it looks like you're focusing on a turd to prove a point.

Dr. Mario doesn't count, by the way, since that's not a true Mario game. I don't know of true Halo games on XBLA, nor true Metal Gears on the PSN. Those companies guard those franchises in such a way so that they are big productions that can make big profits because they can be marketed in the public eye. Until digital distribution becomes more mainstream and EVERYONE is online, we're not going to see such things.

The only way we're going to get a Mario Wiiware title is if there's a marketable reason to do it. As it stands, Wiiware is far better a platform for things like Art Style, where Nintendo can put out a small proof-of-concept sort of game that's going to recoup its costs with a few thousand downloads. Cubello comes to mind. Mario Wiiware would sell, definitely, but it wouldn't sell a tenth (if not hundredth) as well as the exact same data on a DS cart, where you can get a better price AND a bigger userbase. Further, I imagine Nintendo doesn't want to flood Wiiware with all their stuff, since that's just going to send third parties away when they can't compete with those recognizable franchises.

I'm just the messenger, aight? I'd kill for, say, Braid's graphics married with a Mario platformer, with flowing painterly styles and so on. And I'd damn sure love an HD 2D Metroid, with killer graphics and such. But it's not going to happen anytime soon. You're going to feel a lot better if you look at this logically.

Wiiware has some great stuff en route. More MLAAK, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story, etc. It functions very, very well as a service where smaller teams can make a name for themselves by making something unique and new. It's a good place for unproven IPs, obscure titles you run across on the 'net, and everything in between, right on up to big name titles like Megaman 9 from companies like Capcom.

Again, I'm not saying you guys don't have some valid points. But in terms of volume, they don't fill the bucket Nintendo has set aside from this argument. That's the truth of the matter - Reggie's words? They can be discarded in light of the truth, which 99% of the time comes back to money. That's all there is to it.

Strell... you are a genius. That sounds like exactly like him. :lol:

I agree with you, it makes sense from a business standpoint for Nintendo not to release a Mario game on Wiiware. But as consumers, we're going to kick, scream, whine and moan until we get what we want.

I don't care about the justifications they want to make as a company for not putting a game out. I don't care if the cook gets burned while making an omelet, I just want the omelet.

Man... I want a Denver omelet right now.

WiiWare

Party Fun Pirate™
(TOMY Corporation, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone - Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Based on the popular Pop-Up Pirate toy, players take turns thrusting swords into a barrel that holds your captain captive, trying to see who can insert the most swords into the barrel. Thrust a sword into the wrong hole and you'll send your captain flying, which means it's game over for you! Unique Wii features add to the excitement, making for a fun-filled party game. Try swapping out the captain and putting your custom Mii character in the barrel for some real laughs!

Virtual Console

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure™
(Sega Genesis, 1 player, Rated T for Teen - Animated Violence, 800 Wii Points): Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure is a side-scrolling action game in which you play adventurer Pitfall Harry Jr. in search of his father, Pitfall Harry. Pitfall Harry has been taken captive by the dreaded warrior spirit Zakelua: Lord of Evil. Armed with only a trusty sling and his father's journal, young Harry Jr. must now venture into the unknown to rescue him … before it's too late! Bungee jump and boomerang your way to safety as you battle through treacherous Mayan jungles, waterfalls and deserted mines. With 13 levels of fast, gripping action, you will need to be attentive and quick - or prepare to die …

*sigh* Still no Majora means another disappointing week.

Nintendo: "Hey Europe, you like Majora's Mask, right? Here ya go!"
Europe: "Yay!"

Nintendo: "Uhh, NA, you like, err, pitfall, right? Yeah, pitfall."
N.A.: ...

[quote name='pop311']Players take turns thrusting swords into a barrel that holds your captain captive, trying to see who can insert the most swords into the barrel.[/QUOTE]

It's all fun and games until the Navy Seals show up and shoot you in the head.

[quote name='pop311']*sigh* Still no Majora means another disappointing week.[/QUOTE]

Pitfall?

Seriously, Nintendo, what the fuck? I played it. IT'S NOT A GOOD GAME.

bread's done
Back