Wii Shop Thread: ***FINAL FANTASY 3 IS OUT ON THE VC***

What a shitshow.

I only very rarely associate Mondays w/ Wii releases, though I used to follow the channel threads every Monday until I saw what came out.

When are we getting "Beast Wrestler?"

;)

When you upload a video of yourself singing Don't Stop Believing while stirring cookie dough and wearing a Hulkamania shirt, myke.

I don't know why they don't just give up altogether and just have an endless string of games we all see at Target like:
- Puppyz
- Donkeyz
- Stripperz
- Whorez
- Things We Do on the Floor 3!

It seems like they could release some good stuff from C64 or for the Virtual Arade but no - each week is crap.

The Crapware seems pretty universal. PS3 stuff doesn't look any better (at the store or online - same as Wii). I don't have a X360 but I suspect it's more of the same there (the same games released over and over with different title would probably be the main difference instead of the idiot games we get for the Wii)

[quote name='Strell']
Makes me wonder if the people who chose it associate something very bad with May 4th. Or maybe they'll get shitfaced tomorrow on Cinco de Mayo and drunk-upload games, not unlike drunk dialing an ex.[/quote]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_4
Maybe they went to Kent State?

Some people on wiiware.nintendolife.com are claiming that "Penguins & Friends - Hey! That's My Fish!" is a Wii version of a fun board game, and one that is sort of a pain to set up in the real world, so could potentially be a decent WiiWare game, actually, if you like that sort of thing. I wish they had demos. It might be something I could recommend for my kids, but I have absolutely no idea. Maybe the game is too complicated or just wouldn't be any fun for them. Maybe we'd all love it and swear it was the 2nd coming. I don't have any idea.

EDIT: Here's a review of the board game (the physical game, not the WiiWare version) on, strangely, rpt.net:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11936.phtml

Also of note is that the board game goes for quite a bit more money then the WiiWare edition. I may actually have to suggest this one for my kids. It sounds like a good way to trick them into a strategy game. Penguins? Yes!

EDIT2: IGN has a review, and it says it's a pretty straight conversion, lacking in charm (or some such words), not to mention wifi. Gives it a mediocre review as a result:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/979/979172p1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
For BTB fans who are having trouble advancing, Gaijin Games said that the whole "Bit.Trip Beat only saves when you get a high score" thing is a bug that's only present in the US version. They have released some save files for levels 2 and 3:
http://www.gaijingames.com/?p=371

They didn't say why they aren't releasing a fixed version for the US, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the first possibility is that Nintendo doesn't allow third-party patches for WiiWare, or something.

[quote name='Cao Cao']For BTB fans who are having trouble advancing, Gaijin Games said that the whole "Bit.Trip Beat only saves when you get a high score" thing is a bug that's only present in the US version. They have released some save files for levels 2 and 3:
http://www.gaijingames.com/?p=371

They didn't say why they aren't releasing a fixed version for the US, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the first possibility is that Nintendo doesn't allow third-party patches for WiiWare, or something.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting, as that's one thing that has kept me away from Bit.Trip Beat.

I'm pretty sure that Dr. Mario has received an update in the past, so it is kind of interesting if Nintendo doesn't allow updates for third-party WiiWare titles. I this is indeed the case, it's really a disappointment and a flaw in their system.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']That's interesting, as that's one thing that has kept me away from Bit.Trip Beat.

I'm pretty sure that Dr. Mario has received an update in the past, so it is kind of interesting if Nintendo doesn't allow updates for third-party WiiWare titles. I this is indeed the case, it's really a disappointment and a flaw in their system.[/quote]

Well they should be able to release a completely new version of the game and allow you to download that from WiiWare. Some VC games have been "patched" this way and other channels have been updated in the same fashion.

I had no idea that this bug even existed. I must have gotten a high score when beating first two levels I guess. My problem isn't the bug, it's that the 3rd level is a nightmare.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']That's interesting, as that's one thing that has kept me away from Bit.Trip Beat.

I'm pretty sure that Dr. Mario has received an update in the past, so it is kind of interesting if Nintendo doesn't allow updates for third-party WiiWare titles. I this is indeed the case, it's really a disappointment and a flaw in their system.[/QUOTE]

As I said, it's only a possibility. The way I see it, this is the likely fault-o-meter scale:
100% GaijinGames - They just don't want to spend time working on and releasing an update.
50/50 - Nintendo allows patches, but they have to go through the entire submission process again before it can be released.
100% Nintendo - Doesn't allow patches for third-party Wiiware titles.

Have we seen an update of a game from a third-party, at all? Yeah first party games, but I can't think of any third-party games.

I'm guessing Nintendo doesn't want to spend the time/money/manpower to go through the submission process for an update that won't make them any money.

This week, Europe got 1 VC game, and 1 WiiWare game, Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa - SEGA Master System/500 Points, and Rainbow Islands: Towering Adventure - WiiWare/800 Points.

I am in the mood to play Yoshi's Island.
::WAVES MONEY AT NINTENDO::

NINTENDO, I HAVE MONEY. PLEASE TAKE SOME OF IT.

[quote name='lilboo']I am in the mood to play Yoshi's Island.

NINTENDO, I HAVE MONEY. PLEASE TAKE SOME OF IT.[/quote]
moe_angry.JPG

"Ah, your money's no good here...hey wait a minute, this is REAL money!"

I enjoyed the DS Contra game for a while, but then the extreme difficulty, resulting in repeating levels over and over, got old. It was fine for the first 3 or 4 levels, but then to make it to the later levels you have to repeat levels *so* much. I'm not sure I'd buy a Contra Rebirth game or not. It depends on the price and it depends on if it allows you to skip a level once you've beaten it, which I take it is sacrilegious or something.

[quote name='lilboo']I am in the mood to play Yoshi's Island.

NINTENDO, I HAVE MONEY. PLEASE TAKE SOME OF IT.[/QUOTE]

For Reals!!! ... I have points sitting in my account just for this game!!!!!

Anyway, of topic a little bit .... i dont post that often, but I have to give props to you and Strell ... your posts are always great! ....

I got the update this time, you magnificent jerks!

For more of a board-game feel, dive into Family Pirate Party on WiiWare™ and see who can collect the most gold. Finally, the out-of-this-world arcade shooter Galaxy Force™ II hits the Virtual Console™.

WiiWare

Family Pirate Party (Aksys Games, 1-4 players, Rated E 10+ for Everyone 10 and Older – Mild Cartoon Violence and Suggestive Themes, 500 Wii Points™): Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy make their return as pirates sailing the seas and skies. Roll the dice and sail through the islands to gather the treasures each island holds. The person with the most gold at the end wins. Family Pirate Party shines with its appealing cel-shaded graphics and endearing music. Challenge up to three other players (friends, the CPU or both) for some four-player board-game fun. Do you have it in you to defeat your opponents and become the king of Family Pirate Party!?

Virtual Console

Galaxy Force II (Sega Genesis, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone – Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): Galaxy Force II is an arcade shooter with a 3-D view from behind your spaceship. Fly through five different planets, taking on enemies in environments that range from a peaceful garden to lands made of fire or ice. Navigate treacherous landscapes by flying low over the planet’s surface and blowing up enemy robots, ships and turrets, then flying through a tunnel to destroy the alien stronghold on each planet. It is your duty as part of the Galaxy Force to defend against the alien invasion and maintain peace in the solar system.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop™ and the Wii™ Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Swing and a miss.

[quote name='Strell']I got the update this time, you magnificent jerks![/QUOTE]

I woke up, saw the update, and quickly decided it wasn't even worth posting.

[quote name='Wolfkin']we should stop calling them updates.. they're more like downdates[/quote]

Maybe we should just start ignoring them altogether?

I would just like to take this opportunity to remind all y'all to buy Uncharted Waters 2 for the SNES.
[quote name='Wolfkin']SMB is out? sweetness[/quote]
Nah, 'fraid not. Besides, you haven't beaten all the fan-made levels yet. Go back to those.

I think people would be more inclined to buy all these space shooters if part of the profits went towards an actual space defense force.

[quote name='gunm']I have 1700 VC points. And nothing to spend them on.

This sucks.[/quote]
I've had the same amount for a long time. Last thing I ever got was Ys I&II :/

I think I'm only sitting on 300. I'd buy more cause I do need to get some VC games like Super Metroid but without excitement of new games I can't even muster the energy to buy old ones

Nintendo has the magical power to be able to grant our wishes and just not do it. So they aren't exactly screwing us yet.

it's the subtle difference between donald trump stealing $100 from a homeless man and donald trump just not giving him $5.

not that it doesn't suck either way.

[quote name='gunm']I have 1700 VC points. And nothing to spend them on.

This sucks.[/quote]

I'm sitting on 3k (though 2k is on an unused points card). It's a real shame, as the VC was the major selling point of the console to me back at release.

You're dead to me nintendo. after many years sticking with you who'd have thought their most successful system would make me defect.

Wow. Can we get a little more melodramatic in here? Criminy. Buying the Wii for the VC is like buying a car because it has eight cupholders.

Well this seems to come in cycles..NOA last year did this where there was a bunch of crappy games followed by some more wanted games.

I'd say just get a japanese wii or downgrade the firmware to 3.2 and use something like anyregion to at least be able to play japanese imports on the system.

At least with the ps 3 i can buy an psn import card and then buy till my hearts content without worrying about region free being broken.

I remember when the wii was rumored to be region free and it turns out it wasn't :cry:. Anyways if it was region free would you guys complain as much??? I wouldn't even though i can't read much japanese it's still being able to play the games...

[quote name='rocky435']Well this seems to come in cycles..NOA last year did this where there was a bunch of crappy games followed by some more wanted games.

I'd say just get a japanese wii or downgrade the firmware to 3.2 and use something like anyregion to at least be able to play japanese imports on the system.

At least with the ps 3 i can buy an psn import card and then buy till my hearts content without worrying about region free being broken.

I remember when the wii was rumored to be region free and it turns out it wasn't :cry:. Anyways if it was region free would you guys complain as much??? I wouldn't even though i can't read much japanese it's still being able to play the games...[/quote]
The complaints would probably be the same. though I think they do have earthbound there, but im not sure.

I guess the only game I would want to play from Japan is fatal frame 4, too bad its not in english.

Tatsunko vs. capcom is a fun game and knowing japanese isn't necessary, but the controls seem to be way too simple.

bread's done
Back