Wii Shop Thread: ***FINAL FANTASY 3 IS OUT ON THE VC***

What happened to Castlevania ReBirth? Seriously.. this is rediculos already. It has been a month, and no nice. Beside the Nintendo Week hinting at it being out pretty much the next week (like Excite Bike), Nintendo Power said that we should be playing it before I read the issue. Grrrr... it is just annoying already.

/rant

Didn't we already get the NES version of Solomon's Key? I really liked that game but didn't pull the trigger. I'll have to check into the arcade version to see if it's different/better.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']What happened to Castlevania ReBirth? Seriously.. this is rediculos already. It has been a month, and no nice. Beside the Nintendo Week hinting at it being out pretty much the next week (like Excite Bike), Nintendo Power said that we should be playing it before I read the issue. Grrrr... it is just annoying already.

/rant[/QUOTE]

Screw that - where's Cave Story?

This week, Europe got 1 VC game and 2 WiiWare games, Earthworm Jim 2 - SEGA Genesis/800 Points, Happy Holidays: Christmas - WiiWare/500 Points, and Mahjong - WiiWare/500 Points.

Nintendo DSiWare

Rayman
Publisher:
Ubisoft
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: The legendary first Rayman adventure is now available from the Nintendo DSiWare service. Play as Rayman and try to save his amazing world from the evil Mr. Dark. Discover a charming universe with colorful landscapes and meet funny characters who'll help Rayman through his quest. Experiment with his abilities as you punch, hang or fly in the air and choose between two difficulty levels. Take advantage of new features in the Nintendo DSi version, such as the Nintendo DSi Camera, map selection on the touch screen and the ability to play against time to win bonuses.

Ball Fighter
Publisher:
Teyon
Players: 1-2
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Ball Fighter is a puzzle game in which you take aim and blast groups of dropping spheres to create matches and clear the board. You can make chains to earn additional points or to make the game more difficult for an opponent. When you destroy spheres in a multiplayer mode, they will be added to the opponent's board, making his or her task more difficult. You can find special bonuses like a Brush, a Rocket Launcher or a Bomb, which can be used to destroy spheres or to paint a line of them with the same color. You'll find a variety of single-player modes, including Arcade, Survival, Brain Breaker and Player vs CPU, plus the unique multiplayer mode, all playable on one Nintendo DSi system.

Pop Island
Publisher:
odenis studio
Players: 1-8
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Discover a joyful universe where playing is always a pleasure with Pop Island. Colorful and fun, Pop Island is an action-packed capture-the-flag game. Pick a team to join, then run, jump and spin your way around the island in an attempt to collect the priceless flags hidden throughout it. Become a surfing penguin, a flying fish or a waterskiing crocodile as you go all out for victory, unlocking 12 more joyful animals as you rack up points across eight different planets. You might even end up competing as a skateboarding mammoth. Playing alone is plenty of fun, but the madcap action reaches a new level when your friends get involved. By sharing the demo of the game via DS Download Play, up to seven more people with their own Nintendo DSi systems can use a local wireless connection to join you for some head-to-head or cooperative action. With plenty of power-ups, you'll need to concentrate on capturing more than just the rival team's flag to claim victory.

ARMY DEFENDER
Publisher:
MINDSCAPE
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Cartoon Violence
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Army Defender is an action shooter in which players must defend their base against enemy attacks by controlling a machine gun tower designed to eradicate enemy waves. As the player levels up, the enemy becomes more and more numerous and well-equipped. Attackers include soldiers, tanks, paratroopers, helicopters, jet fighters, bombers and elite commandos. Depending on the enemy type (red or green), players must switch between ammunition colors. The machine gun tower will fire where the player taps the touch screen. Power-ups are made available on a regular basis when a super bomber delivers them onto the base. When a power-up is retrieved, players will be able to upgrade their tower for a limited amount of time. Upgrades include flamethrowers, rocket launchers or concussion grenades that will help contain enemy progression.

myNotebook: Red™
Publisher:
Nnooo
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: myNotebook allows you to take notes wherever you are. Just pop open your Nintendo DSi system and jot down your thoughts. Make a list and cross it off, or even play your favorite pen-and-paper games (games not included). You can even personalize your notebook by drawing on the cover and changing the paper type with 18 unlockable squared and lined paper styles. Use the pen or pencil to make your notes or doodles, then erase the bits you don't like. With five ink colors, you'll always be able to make your notes and doodles look stylish.

WiiWare™

My Dolphin
Publisher:
T&S Ltd.
Price: 500 Wii Points™
Description: You are a dolphin trainer. Use the magical stick (Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controllers) to perform in lifelike dolphin shows. Teach your dolphin tricks and have fun watching your dolphin swim and play elegantly with different scenes, music and angles. This game lets you train your dolphin, compete in dolphin shows and watch your dolphin swim freely. Using Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection Pay & Play, you can become friends with other dolphins that have different colors and personalities. You can also buy new toys such as rings and balls for your dolphin to play with.

MAGNETIS™
Publisher:
YULLABY
Players: 1-4
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: MAGNETIS is all about attraction. Connect the magnets to create electric explosions. Solving this frantic puzzle will require quick thinking and foresight. Anticipate connections in order to generate massive chain reactions to win the highest number of points. To get rid of blocks and score points, you must create lines by connecting left and right magnets of the same color by using conductor blocks. The longer the line, the more points you'll get. Team up with as many as three friends in cooperative mode or play against them in battle mode and compete for the highest score.

Stop Stress: A Day of Fury
Publisher:
Abylight
ESRB Rating:
T (Teen) - Animated Blood, Mild Suggestive Themes, Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Jack's dreams have become a nightmare, and only you can help him to get out. Climb into the skin of the most stressed-out man in the world, grab the baseball bat and prepare to let off more steam than ever before. Destroy everything around you, beat a path through traffic or at the office, and face off against incredible hallucinations. How far will a day of fury take you?

Flowerworks®
Publisher:
Nocturnal Entertainment
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: While our heroine Follie is traveling to meet her auntie with a cargo of mystical Flowerworks seeds, her ship is pulled off course and crash-lands in a particularly dull area of the planet Elilia. Explore with Follie and help her recover her seeds to transform the world from drab to fab. You'll encounter strange inhabitants, some of whom will help Follie in her quest. Others, such as naughty garden gnomes, will hinder it. Flowerworks is a single-player adventure which combines blooming flowers, colorful fireworks, exploration and a whole lot of fun. The game will have the whole family immersed in no time, but be warned: Becoming a Flowerworks master is not for the faint of heart. Flowerworks includes Adventure, FreePlay and Tutorial game modes, with three difficulty settings in a 20-hour adventure.

Virtual Console

Street Fighter Alpha 2
Original platform:
Super NES
Publisher: Capcom USA
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Animated Violence
Description: Street Fighter Alpha 2 explodes with lightning-fast game play and amazing innovations. Quick Move Reversals, Alpha Counters and the incredible Custom Combo System create a new standard for all games to fight by. Push your talents to the limit as you discover new hidden moves and reversals for every character. Neutralize opponents' attacks with high and low Alpha Counters and execute incredible Custom Combos to create your own rapid-fire assaults. All your favorite warriors are back for more. Previously hidden characters Dan, Akuma and Bison are joined by five new fighters: Rolento, Gen and Sakura, plus classic favorites Dhalsim and Zangief.

Shinobi™
Publisher:
SEGA
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Mild Violence
Description: Here's a bit of helpful advice to all you criminal organizations out there: If you're going to hatch an elaborate plot that involves kidnapping children, don't kidnap children who have ninjas for parents. That was the big mistake that a group called Zeed made when it went after the offspring of the Oboro clan. Now Joe Musashi is on the hunt to rescue the young hostages and take out Zeed's leaders, the Ring of Five. As you scour each stage, leave no children behind - Joe can't proceed to the next level without freeing them all. With an unlimited supply of shuriken, his sharpened katana and his deadly fists and feet, Joe will show Zeed why you don't mess with family.

I was intrigued by the description of Flowerworks Wii, so I went and found the trailer. I think I'll pass. Looks quite insane.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtwT0H9EOrw[/media]

[quote name='utopianmachine']So is Rayman just a port of Rayment 64 DS?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to guess it's actually the original Rayman, which was a 2D side scroller from...gee, how long ago did it debut? The Jaguar I think?

Wouldn't be anything like the DS release, which was a 3D title.

Flowerworks looks neat.

Given the latest ESRB ratings for VC games, I see it going down like this:

Next week: Alex Kidd in Shinobi World and Master Blaster
Following week: Pilotwings and Super Smash Bros.

[quote name='Strell']I'm going to guess it's actually the original Rayman, which was a 2D side scroller from...gee, how long ago did it debut? The Jaguar I think?[/QUOTE]

I went and found it. Man, talk about old school! Graphics look pretty nifty, and it's certainly stylized.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eBr40IwlpU[/media]

Wonder whether the DSiware port of Rayman is better optimized for the system than the GBA version was. If it is I might have to get it (once I get a DSi).

Not really surprised at seeing SFA2 show up , since I just read a flashback article about it in this month's Nintendo Power. I'm guessing they knew the VC release was coming since it seems too coincidental otherwise.

Blaster Master is coming this month from Gaijenworks and Sunsoft - plus there's supposed to be some sort of megaton announcement coming from Gaijenworks' Vic Ireland (in cahoots with a newly reformed Sunsoft) about something that may or may not have to do with VC.

I've got Rayman 3, I believe it is, for the GBA and can't say that it has captivated me. Seemed pretty generic. Perhaps I didn't give it enough of a try, though.

[quote name='Cambot']Blaster Master is coming this month from Gaijenworks and Sunsoft - plus there's supposed to be some sort of megaton announcement coming from Gaijenworks' Vic Ireland (in cahoots with a newly reformed Sunsoft) about something that may or may not have to do with VC.[/QUOTE]

could see Ireland bringing Albert Odyssey to the VC

Ireland is going to get his own Wii channel. It will be called The Closet and it will take you directly to his eBay page, where copies of Dragon Force will be purchasable for no less than ten million Nintendo Points.

[quote name='Strell']Ireland is going to get his own Wii channel. It will be called The Closet and it will take you directly to his eBay page, where copies of Dragon Force will be purchasable for no less than ten million Nintendo Points.[/QUOTE]

getting Saturn games on the service would be pretty sweet. Of course, I would hate to see how many blocks a game would take though

My understanding is that the Saturn is notoriously difficult to emulate.

Now if it COULD, that would be awesome. But even then, let's be honest - it'd work better on the 360/PS3, with their storage capacities.

Anyway, I'm not giving Ireland too much credit here, and don't have too much hope for this supposed announcement. But we'll see in two days.

[quote name='crunchewy']I've got Rayman 3, I believe it is, for the GBA and can't say that it has captivated me. Seemed pretty generic. Perhaps I didn't give it enough of a try, though.[/QUOTE]

The GBA ports of Rayman really don't do the series justice. Play Rayman 2 or 3 on one of the major consoles to really enjoy the games (or wait for the rumored Rayman 4 , whenever that might come out).

[quote name='Strell']My understanding is that the Saturn is notoriously difficult to emulate.

Now if it COULD, that would be awesome. But even then, let's be honest - it'd work better on the 360/PS3, with their storage capacities.

Anyway, I'm not giving Ireland too much credit here, and don't have too much hope for this supposed announcement. But we'll see in two days.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that too. Supposedly that's part of the reason HotD has never seen any home port besides the saturn version. I really wish someone could make a good working saturn emulator so that I could play all those saturn games that I never got the chance to play , and probably never will since they won't/can't get ported to any other systems.

Looks like this may be Vic's big news: Sunsoft has acquired all of Nihon Telenet's back-catalog, including series such as XZR/Exile (An action-RPG, and in the Japanese version you took hard drugs to heal instead of normal RPG restoratives, sort of like Assassin's Creed's basic theme mixed with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ;)), Valis (Action-Platformer, schoolgirl fights demon armies), Cosmic Fantasy, Tenshi no Uta, and El Viento.

Here's an old GameSetWatch article on Nihon Telenet's rise and downfall.

Source

Redding, CA – December 10, 2009 – Sunsoft, a division of SUNCORPORATION (JASDAQ: 6736) , has today announced that they have completed the purchase of the entire software library of defunct Japanese game publisher Nihon Telenet. This transfer of intellectual property gives Sunsoft the ability to publish or remake over 100 Telenet titles originally published on key platforms like Nintendo Entertainment System, SEGA Genesis/SEGA CD, and PC-Engine/Turbografx, and Sony Playstation.

Nihon Telenet, also known as Nippon Telenet, who published under the Renovation brand in the USA, was a prolific developer and publisher of popular and well-crafted titles like the Valis Series, El Viento, Earnest Evans, Tenshi No Uta (Poems of the Angel), Exile, and Cosmic Fantasy series, to name only a few. One of the interesting trademarks of a Telenet game was that it was not uncommon to see characters from one title make a guest appearance in a different Telenet game or series.

Kiharu Yoshida, CEO of SUNCORPORATION said of the acquisition, “I am proud to have succeeded in creating a home for this large family of key software. We plan to carefully cultivate the great software base we have purchased with this transaction.”

Victor Ireland, President of GAIJINWORKS was instrumental in helping the deal come about and will assist Sunsoft in the implementation of a publishing plan for existing titles and development plans for those that are chosen to be remade. Ireland effused “After Telenet closed, I was sure there was a way to keep their great ideas and characters alive, and I’m extremely happy that Sunsoft has stepped into that role. There are numerous fantastic products to work with in this acquisition, and there is nothing but amazing possibilities for the Telenet IP as a whole.”

Initial plans are to quickly begin publication of the original software releases on Virtual Console systems available on the Wii and other platforms. Then new development of key titles in the library will be initiated, targeting the best and most-wanted to be remade for current consoles and services. Given that many of the Telenet series had only one of the installments released in the US, some of these Virtual Console and remade releases will be seen for the first time in Western markets.

In the coming months, the order of release for titles from this library will be announced and publication will begin, events sure to work game fans into a frothing lather. Suggestions and comments for the games to be chosen are welcome and can be made on the new Sunsoft USA message boards at www.sunsoftgames.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LostRoad']Hmm a remake of Valis will just make me want a remake of Demons Crest even more.[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy just getting the SNES version (of Demons Crest).

This week, Europe got 1 VC game and 3 WiiWare games, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World - SEGA Master System/500 Points, Pallurikio - WiiWare/1000 Points, Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH - WiiWare/600 Points, and Tales of Monkey Island - Chapter 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood - WiiWare/1000 Points.

Tons of games again this week
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: 11 NEW DOWNLOADS BLAST THEIR WAY TO NINTENDO SYSTEMS

Dec. 14, 2009

The first of this week's new Virtual Console™ releases gives new meaning to the term "underground legend," sending players down a mysterious manhole for a classic subterranean adventure. Another fine addition to the Virtual Console section of the Wii Shop Channel features the iconic hero Earthworm Jim in a fun-packed sequel from the SEGA Genesis era. For the Nintendo DSiWare™ service, a slate of five new games includes everything from the pets of LITTLEST PET SHOP™ to animated puzzles, cooking and magic tricks. For fans of the WiiWare™ service, fast-paced stunt driving and Moki-herding mayhem are among the latest arrivals. Whether you're downloading for yourself or seeking cool, convenient gifts for everyone on your holiday list, look no further than the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi™ Shop for instant gratification.

Virtual Console

Blaster Master™

Original platform: NES™
Publisher: Sunsoft
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 500 Wii Points™
Description: The New York sewers were never like this. You've fallen down a hidden manhole into a world of creatures so terrifying they'd scare the rats away. You can panic and perish, or blast your way through an endless maze of tunnels in search of secret passages to your escape. Masters of the Caverns lay waiting - prehistoric creatures so powerful and gigantic they literally fill your screen. Load your arsenal and get ready for Blaster Master.

Earthworm Jim 2™

Original platform: SEGA Genesis
Publisher: Interplay
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Cartoon Violence
Description: Superhero annelid Jim and his new sidekick, Snott, are back for an off-the-wall sequel in Earthworm Jim 2. Containing more action than your standard platformer from the Genesis era, each stage has a different style and mission, drawing on game play from different genres, including mazes, trivia contests and arcade-style levels. The game also features music composed by Tommy Tallarico. Do you have what it takes to rescue the Princess?

WiiWare

Stunt Cars™

Publisher: Icon Games Entertainment
Players: 1-4
Description: Stunt Cars takes place on elevated racetracks with very little to stop players from accidentally driving off the side. Turbo can be used to make a car go faster, but it can only be used for a limited amount of time in each race. As you progress through the game's four championship cups, you'll unlock special features such as driver achievement awards.

Diatomic

Publisher: Grendel Games
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Description: Diatomic is a fast retro-arcade action game that takes place inside a set of petri dishes. The safe confines of your petri dish are about to be invaded by nine different diatomic creatures that seek to destroy you. Armed with your shield, tail, strategic intelligence and good reflexes, you stand a good chance of defeating the overwhelming odds. You must stay alive during 65 hectic stages spread over five chapters. The high score list shows what kind of player you are. Playing defensively and gaining an all-out defensive high score is harder to pull off than gaining an all-out offensive high score.

Moki Moki™

Publisher: Natsume Inc.
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
Description: It's a mind-bending, gravity-defying puzzler. The Moki are being devoured by the voracious Gromblins, and it's up to you to guide the hapless little guys to safety. Bend, twist and rotate the environment to herd the Moki through a series of brain-teasing puzzles. Along the way, you'll have to contend with deadly pitfalls, spinning blades and shifting gravity. Roll Moki down ramps, grab them with hooks and blast them with jets to guide them safely to the portals. Challenge your skills in 100 unique levels.

Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH

Publisher: Two Tribes
Price: 600 Wii Points
Description: Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH is a 3-D puzzle game with more than 70 challenging levels. Players need to guide Cubes to color-coded exit points. Using the Wii Remote™ controller's intuitive controls, players herd the colored cubes along by using Conveyer Belts, Warps, Stop Signs, Directional Signs and Splits. RUSH also includes the original Rubik's Cube as a bonus. Players can attempt to solve one of the four different-sized Cubes alone, compete against a second player or learn how to solve the classic Rubik's Cube.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.
Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

So Blaster Master did indeed show up.

Earthworm Jim 2 is probably good for some people. I know it's got that one WEIRD level where you are a blind cave toad worm or something, with Moonlight Sonata playing as background music. Wtf it's the Genesis version? Lame MIDI music all around ahoy.

Moki Moki looked interesting at the time it was revealed a while ago, sort of like a Lemmings-meets-Chu Chu Rocket sort of game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1po5CIAOiEc

The Rubik's game IS Chu Chu Rocket, so I wonder how it is also. I remember someone on here saying "Yeah it's CCR minus all the charm."

I don't want to sound liek a broken record, but did Castlevania ReBirth launch and I somehow miss it? I have been waiting a while for it, and havn't checked the shop channel.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I don't want to sound liek a broken record, but did Castlevania ReBirth launch and I somehow miss it? I have been waiting a while for it, and havn't checked the shop channel.[/QUOTE]

You didn't miss it. IGN lists it as a TBA 2010 release date. :whistle2:s

HOLY Chr..! Blaster Master will be mine!! (Too bad we can't get the PS1 gem: Blaster Master: Blasting Again..oh well maybe on the PSN one day..)

Blaster Master is an all time classic, and in my top 5 for the best games on the NES. It's also on my bucket list for games I need to beat before I die. It's a great game, but it gets hard as shit around level 5. I imagine the game will benefit greatly from being able to save your progress mid game on the Wii. For those that didn't live through the NES era, I implore you to download this game.

This week, Europe got 2 VC games and 2 WiiWare games, A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia - NES/500 Points, Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition - TurboGrafx-16/700 Points, Eat! Fat! FIGHT! - WiiWare/1000 Points, and Moki Moki - WiiWare/800 Points.

This weeks update: Stolen from Joystiq.
DSiWare
UNO (Gameloft, 1-4 players, 800 DSi Points): Though a version of the classic card game with online play sounds nice, we can't help but notice that it costs a lot more than a deck of cards.

Dragon's Lair (Digital Leisure, 1 player, 800 DSi Points): The first laserdisc game on DSiWare! Guide Dirk the Daring through the castle of the dragon Singe by pressing directional or action buttons at the right moment.

Hot and Cold: A 3D Hidden Object Adventure (Majesco, 1-2 players, 800 DSi Points): The hidden-object game, previously released on cartridge, returns as DSiWare. Warmer!
High Stakes: Texas Hold'Em (Hudson, 1-4 players, 500 DSi Points): The stakes are high indeed -- are you willing to risk 500 of your points on some poker?

myNotebook: Green (Nnooo, 1 player, 200 DSi Points): It's a notebook app, with 18 different (unlockable!) paper styles. If you need one of those, here it is!

WiiWare

Eco Shooter: Plant 530 (Nintendo, 1player, 1,000 Wii Points): Aliens have animated all of Earth's cans, and it's up to you to shoot them down and reclaim their Can Energy in this light gun game developed by Intelligent Systems. Can Energy!

TV Show King 2 (Gameloft, 1-4 players, 800 Wii Points) 8,000 new questions, online play, and the ability to write your own questions. That's why there's a sequel to TV Show King. It was our first question too.

Pallurikio (Playstos Entertainment, 1 player, 1,000 Wii Points): A platformer about a spherical character who can jump and (obviously) roll.

Happy Holidays Christmas (505 Games, 1 player, 500 Wii Points): Create and send Christmas cards to your friends' Wii Message Boards. We couldn't believe this was real when the Halloween version came out, and we don't believe it now.

Virtual Console

Super Smash Bros. (N64, 1-4 players, 1,000 Wii Points): Before Brawl's expansive cast of characters, before trophies, and before Adventure Mode, there was just Super Smash Bros., a game focused entirely on multiplayer fighting for up to four players.

Ninja Gaiden (Arcade, 1-2 players, 600 Wii Points): Virtual Console Arcade pricing is not as standardized as that for other systems, so whenever something shows up for under 800 Points, it's a delightful surprise! Like, for example, the arcade brawler that started the Ninja Gaiden series.

I'm more excited for Ninja Gaiden. I used to play the arcade version off and on but I don't think I ever got anywhere. I wonder what level 2 looks like...

Definitely grabbing Smash Bros. I'm sort of intrigued by Eco Shooter. A shooter developed by Intelligent Systems? :whistle2:k

I'll also have to read reviews of Dragon's Lair DS. I never played the original. Is it good? It always looked like too much of a cartoon, which is to say, not interactive enough.

bread's done
Back