Wii U 8GB - $199.99 - Bestbuy Canada

Autosaver

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
iLXrOic.png

Don't have a direct link and I'm not Canadian, but this is being passed around. Sounds like a great deal.

As a Star Trek fan.....

It's a FAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEE!

Best Buy Canadian website is bestbuy.ca, if you go there they only have the 32GB one listed.

As a Star Trek fan.....

It's a FAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEE!

Best Buy Canadian website is bestbuy.ca, if you go there they only have the 32GB one listed.
It isn't a fake, it was actually on best buys (.ca) but was taken down a while after the price change. Some managed to get it at that price, but not sure if it is still that price in stores or not.

It isn't a fake, it was actually on best buys (.ca) but was taken down a while after the price change. Some managed to get it at that price, but not sure if it is still that price in stores or not.
Either two things happened

1) Mistake

2) The 8GB got phased out and they sold their last units for dirt cheap before removing it.

Also, I got this deal from Reddit and there were many users that got it to work. Some even price matched it.

Yeah, saw it maybe a week back too. I'm thinking Nintendo are opting for a redesign or upgrade of the Wii U soon.

AFAIK it's not Nintendo, retailers are just dropping the 8GB model. The Wii isn't selling well, especially the 8GB one, as it's quite useless and nobody should buy them. Hopefully the retailer push will get Nintendo to put out a bigger model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Practically, it doesn't need a bigger model, since it supports external drives, which electronics retailers would like (get little Johnny a Wii U for Christmas and add on a hard drive).  Rumor has it a Zelda bundle is on its way in October, but this doesn't explain why the Basic Set would need to be discontinued or cleared out; they sell just fine at $299.99, unless Best Buy drastically overstocked on them.

Splitting SKUs requires more shelf space. If it isn't worth it for the retailer they won't want to stock everything. This excuse is exactly what Nintendo tells us everytime we ask for system color variants.

The 8GB system supposedly has 2-3GB of useable space after updates. That isn't enough to download/install a single DVD sized game. If somebody has to come back to buy a external HD they aren't going to be happy. That's just bad for business. They can just as easily upsell you a HD with the 32GB model too, 32GB is still relatively small.

Meh, the basic system isn't so bad. If you want to download games, you'll need a hard drive with either system, so losing a few GB internal memory really isn't such a big deal.  If you prefer retail over digital then the lacking hard drive won't be a detriment for now anyway.

The real question is whether or not you want to drop $200 on a console with so few games worth playing at this point. There will be good software - both the usual Nintendo first-party exclusives and some third-party games ports.  But right now Wii U is looking pretty barren, so people would have to be buying with an eye to the future.  (That said, the Xenoblade sequel is almost justification enough in my mind... and off-TV play would be invaluable in this household where I rarely get to use the living room TV between my kids and wife taking their turns.)

For what it's worth, reports are that Walmart will be blowing out their Wii U Basic stock for $200 next week also.  I'm not sold yet - but will think it over.  Does Wii U upscale Wii games by any chance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Wii U upscale Wii games by any chance?
No, it does not. All the great Wii U games were designed with 480p in mind, though, so I wouldn't say they suffer from the lack of upscaling. Only the Wii menu looks dated next to the Wii U interface; once you start up Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Kirby's Epic Yarn, you don't notice the lack of HD.

Hm?  The Wii U does upscale Wii games; it outputs the signal at 1080p resolution.  It doesn't change the rendering resolution, but it does upscale.

bread's done
Back