Wii U 8GB in-stock at GameStop (32GB sold out)

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']right...

new_super_mario_bros_u_monty_mole1.png

new-super-mario-bros-wii-screenshot1.jpg

i think you forgot the Wii and the 3ds, because......wait for it......

they are the same game!

like i said, i need to know Nintendo secret![/QUOTE]

wtf are you smoking? Have you even, I don't know, played all 3 games to determine they are the same?

Have you actually played Mario U because all reviews have said that is has a lot more depth and is more difficult then the Wii and 3DS games.

[quote name='cleaver']The 3DS did, bought it newish for $119 from AWD in less than a year. I think this is less original/desired tech than that.[/QUOTE]

AWD doesn't count. That's not Nintendo dropping the price by half, that's Amazon selling used/dinged/returned consoles at cagtastic prices. I believe another strategic price drop will occur with this system once the competition launches their consoles, but I wouldn't expect more than a $50 drop on both console models. $50 isn't enough to make me wait a year to get the Wii-U.

[quote name='confoosious']trolls are out in full force tonight! Gonna have to grab some popcorn.[/QUOTE]

I suppose its because they are all out of school for the weekend.

[quote name='Blaster man']You know what would convince me to buy a Wii U RIGHT NOW instead of me waiting for the price drop? UPCONVERT THE fuckING WII GAMES[/QUOTE]

This. So much this. when they announced Wii games wouldn't be improved at all on WiiU back at E3 2011 I could hardly believe the stupidity. I would have bought SO many Wii games if they had done that.

[quote name='Deader2818']Have you actually played Mario U because all reviews have said that is has a lot more depth and is more difficult then the Wii and 3DS games.[/QUOTE]
depth on a mario game? now im seriously confused

[quote name='Deader2818']Guess you are to young to remember Mario RPG.[/QUOTE]
well now, in all honesty i never played that one so i surrender :(

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']well now, in all honesty i never played that one so i surrender :([/QUOTE]
You are missing out. Best mario rpg, considering all the paper marios and mario+luigi titles that are out there.

Time tested classic. Such a good game. SO. GOOD.

[quote name='Fabrizo']This. So much this. when they announced Wii games wouldn't be improved at all on WiiU back at E3 2011 I could hardly believe the stupidity. I would have bought SO many Wii games if they had done that.[/QUOTE]

Except it does. It does the exact same thing your Blu-Ray player does to your DVDs: Upscales them to 1080p (or 720p or whatever resolution you use).

[quote name='Deader2818']Well, I admire your honesty.[/QUOTE]

What console would that be in? Now that you picked my interest on that I have that curiosity to play it

[quote name='DarkPGR']Is not that the Wii U is selling bad, is that Nintendo got the launch just right: several stores are getting their third or fourth shipment already. Instead of sending a horde of consoles at once, they have been sending them more evenly distributed and keeping them in store shelves so people can go in and buy one. That ties in with the little pre-launch advertising: Everyone who wants one is able to get one.

If you didn't go to one of the few midnight releases, or you didn't get one on launch day, you wouldn't now just how completely sold out it was that day. 2 days later almost all stores got a new shipment from Nintendo, and today they got another one.[/QUOTE]
Bingo. And more anecdotal evidence-- I've heard a lot of nerds 'n' bros ask for the Wii U in between restocks when it's been sold out. Before today's restock, the 40 mile radius around me was completely sold out for Target. I don't know why people don't seem to think that high demand and ample stock can't coexist with each other. They've been doing a great job at enabling anyone who wants one to get one.

Of course, while area dependent, if anyone doesn't think there isn't a very strong chance Black Friday weekend blows a gigantic Rosie O' Donnell ass sized hole into the Wii U inventory as a whole, then I do believe you to be a troll. This thing is far from having a failed launch.

[quote name='devangel']what console would that be in? Now that you picked my interest on that i have that curiosity to play it[/quote]

snes.

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']right...

new_super_mario_bros_u_monty_mole1.png

new-super-mario-bros-wii-screenshot1.jpg

i think you forgot the Wii and the 3ds, because......wait for it......

they are the same game!

like i said, i need to know Nintendo secret![/QUOTE]

Haha, no.

Obviously you never played them.

[quote name='DarkPGR']Except it does. It does the exact same thing your Blu-Ray player does to your DVDs: Upscales them to 1080p (or 720p or whatever resolution you use).[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understand what upscale/upconvert is. The Wii U sends a 1080P signal via HDMI to your TV. That doesn't mean that the content on the disk is upscaled to an HD resolution. It's being sent as is on the disk. WHen a Blu Ray player upscales a DVD, it uses algorithms inside the player to make the picture look better. There's really no reason Nintendo couldn't do that for the Wii games.

i got to play some Wii U when i went to New York at the beginning of the month (Super Mario, Rayman)...with 1-2 others playing it was seriously a blast, most fun i've had in awhile playing a coop game

that being said, i don't plan on buying it for at least another year or so....i'll admit a 5gb update on an 8gb system (the regular one, i believe) is pretty shotty...

[quote name='DarkPGR']Except it does. It does the exact same thing your Blu-Ray player does to your DVDs: Upscales them to 1080p (or 720p or whatever resolution you use).[/QUOTE]

Oh really? Please quote a source on that. Because as far as I've been aware, the Wii U does NOT upscale your Wii games.

http://www.1up.com/news/wii-games-wont-look-nicer-wii-u

Your TV is always outputting at 1080p (if it's a 1920x1080p TV), but that doesn't mean the game is upscaling to that, despite what your TV says.

Soooo torn. Really tempted to get the Deluxe Model... on the other hand have tons of games for the 360/PS3 I haven't got around to playing that are sitting unopened. I hate being a compulsive buyer... sitting on the order screen, TO CLICK OR NOT TO CLICK.

[quote name='BlurredReality']Soooo torn. Really tempted to get the Deluxe Model... on the other hand have tons of games for the 360/PS3 I haven't got around to playing that are sitting unopened. I hate being a compulsive buyer... sitting on the order screen, TO CLICK OR NOT TO CLICK.[/QUOTE]

Don't. Right now it's a suckers buy. Plus like you said, you have a ton of other games to play.

[quote name='Deader2818']why is it a suckers buy?[/QUOTE]
I'll offer my opinion.

Buying these systems at launch is just not often wise to do. When 360 and PS3 came out it was like you had to make the jump from PS2/XBOX. This system isn't really a must have it's just that it's new so everyone wants it.

Right now you're going to pay full retail to get the system first, while the game selection is still limited and the system is still looking to gain a reputation.

I like to be the first to have new things though. I like to have all the new games and everything, but it's just not worth it to me. I'll spend my money if I really want something though. If people have the money and want to do it then go for it.

I have a $15 credit to Gamestop and it makes me think about it. I can't think of what else I want to buy. Waiting for something...maybe Hitman.

As long as you know you want it and it's not an impulse buy then go for it. I think the price is reasonable for a new system that could have a lot of potential. I'll wait to see myself.

I do think there will be plenty of stock to go around and people should not impulse buy or be suckered in.

[quote name='WilliamG']Oh really? Please quote a source on that. Because as far as I've been aware, the Wii U does NOT upscale your Wii games.

http://www.1up.com/news/wii-games-wont-look-nicer-wii-u

Your TV is always outputting at 1080p (if it's a 1920x1080p TV), but that doesn't mean the game is upscaling to that, despite what your TV says.[/QUOTE]

It upscales Wii to 1080p. Source is the input button on my TV (plus the entire internet since launch).

[quote name='gettinmoney662']http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/21/us-kids-want-an-ipad-more-than-a-wii-u-for-the-holidays-nielsen/

Uh oh.[/QUOTE]

I am not surprised by this but I am surprised by the numbers wanting a 3DS or a Wii U or something Nintendo. Over in my area Nintendo is not cool at all, and basically no kid has a 3DS, sure some kids have them but the ratio is probably like 10% 3DS to 90% iPod touch, iPhone or iPad for those that have and can afford expensive electronic devices. The kids that do have a 3DS are mostly 6-10 years old, no one older than that would be caught dead with one. Of course the number of kids that own an older model DS like the DS Lite or DSi is likely significantly higher. The DS used to be cool with tweeners and even high school students but now it is completely out for that group and everything is cell phones or iPod touch if your parents don't buy you a smartphone. I have seriously never seen a store as packed as the Apple store here, every time I walk by it in a mall there are always at least 50-100 people in it, no other store in the same mall gets the same kind of foot traffic the Apple store does.

Of course I find when it comes to kids opinions about what they want it is mostly arbitrary, as they change their mind frequently, especially in the 6-10 age group, one day they could want a 3ds and the next an iPad... there is really no accurate way to measure popularly of a device because of this unless you take a survey of what kids already own, and even that will vary greatly by area as I have learned from my area. Even though the 3DS is not popular in my area it is obviously selling in other areas of the USA.

LMAO at all the "pro" and "con" arguments about the console... it's the same anytime a new console comes out.

I will say this though... the reason there may be good stock numbers is that Nintendo remembers what happend with the Wii selling out for over a year and they've said many times that they learned from their mistake and want to ensure good numbers in the supply line.

It does Nintendo ZERO good to have supply issues if they can be avoided.

[quote name='teknomedic']LMAO at all the "pro" and "con" arguments about the console... it's the same anytime a new console comes out.

I will say this though... the reason there may be good stock numbers is that Nintendo remembers what happend with the Wii selling out for over a year and they've said many times that they learned from their mistake and want to ensure good numbers in the supply line.

It does Nintendo ZERO good to have supply issues if they can be avoided.[/QUOTE]

This is so true, they will easily lose customers to one of the other consoles on the shelf if they cannot get their console to store shelves fast enough. There are a lot more devices to choose from now than there was in 2006, and someone who is considering a Wii U could be easily swayed if they don't already have a PS3 or Xbox 360.

[quote name='Deader2818']Honestly, do people just talk out their ass?

What proof do you have its selling bad?[/QUOTE]

This thing hasn't even been out a full month, right? How can it be selling bad already?

Before buying from GS and paying shipping, just check your local Target. I did an online search and 18/20 Targets around me have the Wii U in stock. Hopefully it stays that way so everyone who wants one can buy one.

[quote name='kburns10']This thing hasn't even been out a full month, right? How can it be selling bad already?[/QUOTE]

It hasnt even been out a full week, lol.

I don't normally come out of lurking, but the topic is kind of interesting to me since I can shed a little light on how the WiiU is doing, as a GS employee:

At my store, sales are... kind of weird, actually. It's not doing great, but it's far from doing badly. We had a line out the door Sunday morning so people could pick up their preorders and (usually) multiple games, and a lot of walk-ins begging for extra systems (which we didn't have due to preorder customers and wait-list customers getting first priority). Launch day, the demand was high for the first couple of hours. After that, though, there was a heck of a lot of, "Oh, what's the WiiU? Is that out?" It did not at ALL feel like the Wii launch, where EVERYONE knew the Wii had come out and EVERYBODY wanted one.

It's strange. We had a loooot of no-shows for preorders, and even after calling those customers to let them know we'd only hold their system for 48 hours we had almost no callbacks, which led to extras, which led to calling people on the waitlist, which led to some people freaking out and showing up to buy it right away and some people completely and totally losing interest and saying they didn't want one anymore.

The thing I hear the most from customers is, "I'm not going crazy over this/buying things/finding one, not this year," some especially saying, "Not after the first Wii." But the moment we have extras available, we've had some folks buying not just one, but sometimes more than one of the console at a time, and we still get people coming in and begging us to get more. I feel like people want it, and some are still out on "the hunt," but the majority seem so, so tired of the insanity of hunting and racing to get a system before it sells out/before Christmas.

Sales themselves? I can't give any numbers, but WiiU isn't hurting. People easily spend money on the system(s) and a handful of games and extra controllers. It just isn't selling out or as quickly as some might expect from previous console launches. People are tired of all the crazy. When it's in the store, though, it doesn't sit there for long waiting to be purchased.

*shrugs* So there you go.

If these aren't flying off the shelf, like some people want it to be completely sold out for it to be successful, would this be a case of bad marketing? Not enough knowledge of the system by the mainstream?

I think the original Wii was the only console last/this gen that people hunted down. I still remember the pictures of PS3's stacked up in Circuit/Best Buy/Targets around the country and the same with 360's. I chock a lot of it up to marketing.

[quote name='bjstucker']I think the original Wii was the only console last/this gen that people hunted down. I still remember the pictures of PS3's stacked up in Circuit/Best Buy/Targets around the country and the same with 360's. I chock a lot of it up to marketing.[/QUOTE]

360s were sold out/trickling supply for a good while after launch.

[quote name='teknomedic']LMAO at all the "pro" and "con" arguments about the console... it's the same anytime a new console comes out.

It does Nintendo ZERO good to have supply issues if they can be avoided.[/QUOTE]

alternate explanation: it's not selling anything like the Wii, so there's stock on hand.

[quote name='ral1121']If these aren't flying off the shelf, like some people want it to be completely sold out for it to be successful, would this be a case of bad marketing? Not enough knowledge of the system by the mainstream?[/QUOTE]

I think it is bad marketing. I have only seen 2 commercials, and I watch plenty of tv. However they may decided that early buyers might not need a lot of commercials. The 8gb basic sells for $100 more than the $200 basic 4gb xbox. You have to think some people aren't going to spring for the more expensive item therefore the commercials might have got people interested but then turned off by the price. When the Wii launched, it was $50 cheaper than a diskless Xbox 360. I still think they could have generated more sales by doing some more commercials. Apple does a lot of commercials to keep you thinking about an ipad. Nintendo could have done the same. I think we have to give it at least a month to see how popular it is. It hasn't even been a week.

Demand is high where I live. I waited in line at TRU on Sunday, but they only had one Deluxe model left after everyone picked up their preorders, and I wasn't about to buy the white one. Then I went to a Walmart and GameStop; both were sold out of both models. Walmart said they didn't think they'd get anymore shipments until December at the earliest, but who knows.

A few days later I finally found one at 7AM on Walmart.com (bundle with choice of one game). I've been calling and searching for another Deluxe model for my younger cousin all week and haven't been able to find one (until tonight, phew!). It was the last one that Target had, and the guy I talked to on the phone was nice enough to set it aside for me.

I know Wii U may not (yet?) have the huge mainstream appeal Wii did, but it's been a pain trying to find it in my area. I think part of it is also the manufacturing problems and the fact that stores aren't receiving many at a time (it seems, anyways). Once they go live they sell out right away.

Moving 3.5 million in ~6 weeks would be pretty great, in my opinion.

bread's done
Back