Wii U back in stock @ Target

Maybe a crazy thought, but what if when the PS4 finally arrives, they are able to sell it with the Vita as a controller, like a bundle? Like, at that point the price for the Vita will have gone down some, it gives the Vita some life by getting it into more people's hands which in turn helps software sales for it, and it steals Nintendo's thunder by offering a higher quality touchscreen gamepad experience? Just a thought

[quote name='TheLongshot']Point is, tho, that they are in the financial situation they are in because they aren't doing stuff like that. Also, I'd argue that the Wii U is a hell of a console.

So, you think they should dump their investment in the Vita, dump the PS3 (which is finally profitable) and take a loss on developing a new console in a questionable market? Doesn't seem smart.

Personally, I think Sony is the company most likely to get out of the console business, and probably will be the last to bring out a new console.[/QUOTE]

Sony isn't making good business decisions as evidenced by their annual losses. The reason to dump the PS3 is to be competitive. They lost a lot of possible sales by putting out the PS3 a year after the 360. You can't compete if you aren't on the market and most people that got the 360 would have considered the PS3 if it was releases at the same time. Folks that got the 360 in 05 were unlikely to buy a PS3 until after many price drops. The whole "PS3 has no games" thing that happened for the first year or two was because of the install base compared to the 360, they didn't get the machine out soon enough to make ports for it, and it was harder to develop for. Even these days, years later, you look at 2011's goty skyrim and the PS3 port is inferior. The PS4 is reportedly going to have more conventional components so ports will be better and that's another reason to move on. Your argument that putting out a new console would be a mistake because they would lose money on it is a bit off because they have to do it sooner or later and they need to compete ASAP in order to avoid the mistakes that happened this gen.

As for the Vita, yes I think they should abandon the "investment". Any good investor will tell you that you need to take your lumps and move on to prevent further bleeding. At best it will be years before the Vita becomes profitable on an annual sales basis and at this point they'll probably never recover all the costs in development so dump the product line and move on in order to strengthen the company. MS was rumored to put out a handheld Xbox for years but never did it because they had a better sense of the market than Sony.

[quote name='Deader2818']Worldwide though, The Wii and PS3 out sold the 360.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the Wii sold tons but the PS3 took years to catch up. They need to avoid that next gen. The PS4 isn't going to get ports if its not out and they will be behind for years in terms of install base again. Re-read what I wrote for the reasons to launch when the next Xbox does.

If you dont want to spend the money thats understandable, but the Wii U is a really well done system. And Zombi U uses the gamepad amazingly. Favorite game of the holiday season so far. Moreso than Halo 4. Also playing games on just the gamepad while my kids watch tv is awesome

Bottom line it sold 400K in the u.s. over its first week. Its not going anywhere.

I will probably get nextbox next year if those rumors are true. I really dont play my PS3 all that much anymore. I think Sony is losing touch a little bit. Even if the PS4 did hit next year i cant say i would rush out to buy one.

[quote name='Blumpkin']Yeah, because all of those Chinese and Taiwanese factory workers are at the top of my concerns. :roll:[/QUOTE]

How about when prices for manufactured goods go up significantly because companies have to pay minimum wages to have them manufactured? Would you be concerned then? ;)

Any brand new console or handheld is gonna be a hard sell these days, I don't know about anyone else but my entertainment center is full and I have no more HDMI ports left on my TV, and switching inputs constantly is not what I want to be doing just to accomodate a new console, whatever that new console may be.

We are to the point where if you want games, you probably already have enough consoles to play them on. The Wii U definitely isn't targeting the casuals, that is Apple's market now, ask some random people and they won't even know what the Wii U is. Irrelevant but everyone knows what an iPad is, even my grandmother knows what it is and she knew before I got one, heck my grandmother knows what a blackberry is but she doesn't know what the Wii U is.. It has too many buttons and looks too much like a regular video game controller to Target the casuals, those casuals that have the Wii are not interested in upgrading and are satisfied with their Wii and Wii sports and Wii Fit. My mom thought the tablet controller was the whole console just from watching an ad....

I am not sure if the TV to Tablet thing is such a big deal here, and I don't think this feature alone is going to sell systems. Most houses have 3-4 TV's at the least in them, heck my cousin's house has 6 TV's (They are CRT though) so I don' think that one person wanting to watch TV while the other plays video games is even going to be a problem here in the USA. This will be big in Japan though where its more common to only have a single TV in the house. With 32 inch TV's reaching $97 here in the USA most kids already have one in their bedroom.

I am simply not interested in the Vita because of overpriced memory cards, include 32GB of storage so I can actually download a few games without having to pay an extra $100 and I might be interested. But really I have enough handheld devices now, I shouldn't buy any more portable stuff for like 5 years...

I was surprised to see 3 Basic Wii U boxes sitting in the case on a busy holiday season Saturday afternoon in my local Target. It took over a year before I saw that many Wii siting there. And as many people as were in there shopping nobody even looked in the Wii U's direction. I blame this partly on Target having the Wi U display along the back wall rather than the middle main aisle but the Wii U boxes are in the middle aisle under the 3DS display, so some people may just see the Wii U display, look around, decide there aren't any U's available, and leave. I blame it partly on Nintendo for making the Basic bundle. There is just too much stuff fin that $349 box to justify buying the $299 box, so people who see the Basic so readily available may just be waiting to purchase the Premium.

I also saw 2 Gamestops that had signs in the window saying "Wii U in stock" but I didn't ask.

I think Nintendo is going to have to stop making the Basic.

[quote name='coolrust']returning wiiu today in exchange for 2 nabi tablet at gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before taking a number 2.

[quote name='SaraAB']Any brand new console or handheld is gonna be a hard sell these days, I don't know about anyone else but my entertainment center is full and I have no more HDMI ports left on my TV, and switching inputs constantly is not what I want to be doing just to accomodate a new console, whatever that new console may be.

We are to the point where if you want games, you probably already have enough consoles to play them on. The Wii U definitely isn't targeting the casuals, that is Apple's market now, ask some random people and they won't even know what the Wii U is. Irrelevant but everyone knows what an iPad is, even my grandmother knows what it is and she knew before I got one, heck my grandmother knows what a blackberry is but she doesn't know what the Wii U is.. It has too many buttons and looks too much like a regular video game controller to Target the casuals, those casuals that have the Wii are not interested in upgrading and are satisfied with their Wii and Wii sports and Wii Fit. My mom thought the tablet controller was the whole console just from watching an ad....

I am not sure if the TV to Tablet thing is such a big deal here, and I don't think this feature alone is going to sell systems. Most houses have 3-4 TV's at the least in them, heck my cousin's house has 6 TV's (They are CRT though) so I don' think that one person wanting to watch TV while the other plays video games is even going to be a problem here in the USA. This will be big in Japan though where its more common to only have a single TV in the house. With 32 inch TV's reaching $97 here in the USA most kids already have one in their bedroom.

I am simply not interested in the Vita because of overpriced memory cards, include 32GB of storage so I can actually download a few games without having to pay an extra $100 and I might be interested. But really I have enough handheld devices now, I shouldn't buy any more portable stuff for like 5 years...[/QUOTE]

You should consider giving the Vita a chance. While the memory card prices are high, they aren't exhorbitant, and even smaller cards can hold plenty of games (espcially older digital PSP games and minis).

I have a 16gb card in my Vita right now, and I have 52 games on it; a combination of full blown Vita games (Gravity Rush); smaller Vita downloadables (Sine Mora, PvZ, Super Stardust Delta, Mutant Blobs, Pinball Arcade, Zen Pinball 2, etc.); a ton of PSP games (Metal Slug Anthology, Burnout Legends, Capcom Classics 1&2, Castlevania: Dracula X, both Untold Legends games, several Ys games, and more), and a bunch of PSP Minis and Playstation Mobile games. My 16gb card cost about $40, and given how many games it holds I'm quite happy. I'll eventually get a 32gb card when they come down more in price.

All the older PSP full-sized games and minis look and play great on the Vita with the larger, brighter, richer screen. Overall I'm very happy with the system, its well designed and well worth the investment. IMHO its a great successor to the PSP and a great, solidly-designed handheld.

[quote name='Deader2818']Outside of Halo and Gears of War, the xbox just doesnt offer me anything I can't get on PS3.[/QUOTE]

That's more or less true, just a matter of preference. I also would much rather go for achievements because they build a cumulative score as opposed to trophies which are just specific for each game.

PS3 has some awesome exclusives, but if I HAD to choose, I'd go the XBOX route. Lost Odyssey alone was the best JRPG this generation for me.

I want to return the Wii U I bought from Walmart and buy from best buy because I have a lot of credit to burn, but I lost my receipt. I bought it with my debit card, but they're still douches about it. Apparently, even though they can look up the receipt they will only give me store credit. The lady at CS said it only shows the date I purchased it, which I highly doubt but whatever.

If the Japs buy the Wii U on December 8th, that will tell whether it will succeed or not. If they buy it will. If they don't look at a very long failure and this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy who has investments in the stock.

[quote name='AcePuppy']If the Japs buy the Wii U on December 8th, that will tell whether it will succeed or not. If they buy it will. If they don't look at a very long failure and this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy who has investments in the stock.[/QUOTE]

Correction: if they buy, it will succeed IN JAPAN. Doesn't mean it'll succeed everywhere else. Japan isn't the final say on these things anymore; look at the 360. :lol:

[quote name='chimpmeister']Correction: if they buy, it will succeed IN JAPAN. Doesn't mean it'll succeed everywhere else. Japan isn't the final say on these things anymore; look at the 360. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Microsoft makes the 360, and most Japanese consumers don't seem to really care for Western-made products. If the Wii U, a product envisioned by a Japanese company, flounders like the Vita (another Japanese product obv), then that could certainly spell a doom that will pervade other regions as well. Just like the Vita.

My take: it could be another Gamecube at the very worst; a niche system with a good handful of seriously good games. I just hope Nintendo continues to court talented developers like Platinum Games.

[quote name='Deader2818']Outside of Halo and Gears of War, the xbox just doesnt offer me anything I can't get on PS3.[/QUOTE]

Forza > Grand Turismo

Kinetic > Move
Xbox Live > Sony online (ps+ is a different Animal)
Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake, Kinect Sports. ESPN3 is easily a great app.
Arcade games like banjo kazooie and perfect dark.

[quote name='devincenzi']Microsoft makes the 360, and most Japanese consumers don't seem to really care for Western-made products. If the Wii U, a product envisioned by a Japanese company, flounders like the Vita (another Japanese product obv), then that could certainly spell a doom that will pervade other regions as well. Just like the Vita.

My take: it could be another Gamecube at the very worst; a niche system with a good handful of seriously good games. I just hope Nintendo continues to court talented developers like Platinum Games.[/QUOTE]

His point is, there will be games for it IN JAPAN not necessarily in the US. If it's successful in Japan and not successful in the US then tons of games will never be localized and no third party developers will jump on board so good luck getting Elder Scrolls 6 on the Wii U. Actually, the Wii U probably will be too weak to run it anyway but the point is, if the Wii U were powerful enough, Bethesda still wouldn't bother porting.

[quote name='confoosious']Gotta love this ignorance! We don't live in a global economy or anything. Nobody in the US makes money off nintendo products or anything. :roll:

The haters in these threads crack me up. How bad is your life that you "hate" on a toy company.[/QUOTE]

I think I found a Nintendo fanboy. You keep sucking up to them with your posts. Nintendo is not a job creator in this country and we don't care how many jobs they create in Japan.

How bad is your life that you keep defending a toy company. People are just stating their opinion, why does everything criticizing Nintendo is considered "hating" in your mind. Does it hurt that much that people say negative things about Nintendo?

[quote name='oasisboy']I think I found a Nintendo fanboy. You keep sucking up to them with your posts. Nintendo is not a job creator in this country and we don't care how many jobs they create in Japan.

How bad is your life that you keep defending a toy company. People are just stating their opinion, why does everything criticizing Nintendo is considered "hating" in your mind. Does it hurt that much that people say negative things about Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

Even in Japan they don't employ many people. They have 4700 employees.
http://www.forbes.com/companies/nintendo/

[quote name='JaylisJayP']That's more or less true, just a matter of preference. I also would much rather go for achievements because they build a cumulative score as opposed to trophies which are just specific for each game.[/QUOTE]That's not even true. Trophies accumulate and build a level, similar to RPGs. The only achievements I am aware of that don't add up are the Steam ones. The PlayStation ones certainly do.

[quote name='Zimmy']I grabbed 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before taking a number 2.[/QUOTE]

Your response made me laugh. Sometime CAGs think this is Facebook. " I went to the store and returned a game" or "I got my game in the mail". Who fuking cares?!

Edit: it seems the shovelware games continue on the WiiU.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/12/03/funky-barn-wii-u-review

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='oasisboy']I think I found a Nintendo fanboy. You keep sucking up to them with your posts. Nintendo is not a job creator in this country and we don't care how many jobs they create in Japan.

How bad is your life that you keep defending a toy company. People are just stating their opinion, why does everything criticizing Nintendo is considered "hating" in your mind. Does it hurt that much that people say negative things about Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

yeah I am a huge fanboy. :roll:

the only console i don't have is the vita. And my xbox is the one that gets the most use. Huge nintendo fanboy here.

If there are any CAGs in the Portland, OR area - I have a Deluxe from Best Buy up for grabs for retail price. I'm going to return it in the next few days if no one wants it. I pre-ordered and wanted to change my payment method when I went to pick it up, so I could use some gift cards, but they wouldn't let me (I guess this goes for all pick up orders). So I got it anyway...but thinking about it, I think I'm just going to wait for a price drop. So it's unopened and has a store pick up receipt.

No catch - not trying to flip, but the Deluxe is still kind of hard to find around here, so thought I'd try and help a CAG out before just returning it.

[quote name='confoosious']yeah I am a huge fanboy. :roll:

the only console i don't have is the vita. And my xbox is the one that gets the most use. Huge nintendo fanboy here.[/QUOTE]

just put this guy on ignore

I'm returning our Wii U Deluxe today (unopened), but it's not that I (we - me and my kids) don't want it. I think it looks fun. It's just that it's a lot of money and there aren't many games yet (of course). Hopefully we'll get one next Xmas and hopefully by then the price is lower. At the least there will be a bigger library of games to choose from which will make it seem more worth it.

Instead I'm getting us a PS3. The BF deal with Uncharted 1&2 and Infamous 1&2 and 1 month of PS+, for $200. Even having to buy a 2nd controller, and having bought a couple more games (Little Big Planet 2 and 3D Dot Game Heroes), I'm spending less than the cost of a Wii U Basic alone and there's a bunch of good exclusive games to check out.

Toys R Us in times square NYC had mountains of these:

photo12312123405pm1.jpg

Going to wait like everyone else for either a price drop or a nice bundle. Don't see any games that I want to play except for NSMBU.

[quote name='oasisboy']Forza > Grand Turismo

Kinetic > Move
Xbox Live > Sony online (ps+ is a different Animal)
Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake, Kinect Sports. ESPN3 is easily a great app.
Arcade games like banjo kazooie and perfect dark.[/QUOTE]

Kinect, better than Move? Ha, you obviously never owned a Kinect - which is made all the more obvious from your spelling, or lack thereof, of it. Granted, Kinect wasn't horrible, but it felt like Microsoft fell short of really achieving something amazing with it.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']Kinect, better than Move? Ha, you obviously never owned a Kinect - which is made all the more obvious from your spelling, or lack thereof, of it. Granted, Kinect wasn't horrible, but it felt like Microsoft fell short of really achieving something amazing with it.[/QUOTE]
How can you even compare Kinect and Move? They're nothing alike. Hey my treadmill is better than Kinect and Move COMBINED!

How about you compare Wii Motion Plus to Move?

I just wonder how this thread would have changed if it were the Wii all over again, aka if this was absolutely no where to be found on store shelves (with the same game library it has now). Would that have people scrambling for it just because of the short supply?

So the flippers got their wishes dashed. Who was it that called it months ago? Its good that people who want it don't have to pay crazy prices.

Loving the system btw.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']Kinect, better than Move? Ha, you obviously never owned a Kinect - which is made all the more obvious from your spelling, or lack thereof, of it. Granted, Kinect wasn't horrible, but it felt like Microsoft fell short of really achieving something amazing with it.[/QUOTE]

I was typing on my phone and it auto corrected. I have owned both Kinect and Move from day 1.

Kinect isn't perfect but my wife and kids have a blast playing it.

[quote name='Blaster man']How can you even compare Kinect and Move? They're nothing alike. Hey my treadmill is better than Kinect and Move COMBINED!

How about you compare Wii Motion Plus to Move?[/QUOTE]

Totally bad analogy. They are and they aren't the same thing. Both Kinect and Move were going after the casual fan who enjoyed the motion control of the Wii. Move was an obvious clone of wii peripheral while Kinect was truly different since it didn't require a controller.

Move > Wii motion plus. That's what experts said. Unfortunately few games take advantage of the Move option.

[quote name='SaraAB']I just wonder how this thread would have changed if it were the Wii all over again, aka if this was absolutely no where to be found on store shelves (with the same game library it has now). Would that have people scrambling for it just because of the short supply?[/QUOTE]

Mmhmm. If a Nintendo console is hard to find they are doing it on purpose to manipulate the market. If they make sure they have enough to keep stores getting some stock in it becomes 'Look! no one is buying it!'

[quote name='gordojones88']Little boy games for big boy prices.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about CoD and Halo and their ilk? Games for angsty teenagers that offer pretty much zero challenge outside of multiplayer.

[quote name='Octopod']Are you talking about CoD and Halo and their ilk? Games for angsty teenagers that offer pretty much zero challenge outside of multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather play The Witcher 2 and Skyrim than Mario or Zelda. Nintendo makes some good games no doubt about that but IMO they don't hold a candle to many other games being developed. When will Dragon Age Origins or DA2 show up on the Wii? When 3 comes out will it be released on the Wii U? Metro Last Light? I'd take that over some Metroid FPS.

[quote name='Blaster man']I'd rather play The Witcher 2 and Skyrim than Mario or Zelda. Nintendo makes some good games no doubt about that but IMO they don't hold a candle to many other games being developed. When will Dragon Age Origins or DA2 show up on the Wii? When 3 comes out will it be released on the Wii U? Metro Last Light? I'd take that over some Metroid FPS.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather play Skyrim than Mario too. The Witcher maybe. DA not at all. No interest in that or the ME series. The STALKER type games I play on PC. I played Skyrim on my PC too and I feel sorry for people that had to play it on a console.

[quote name='Blaster man']I'd rather play The Witcher 2 and Skyrim than Mario or Zelda. Nintendo makes some good games no doubt about that but IMO they don't hold a candle to many other games being developed. When will Dragon Age Origins or DA2 show up on the Wii? When 3 comes out will it be released on the Wii U? Metro Last Light? I'd take that over some Metroid FPS.[/QUOTE]

Who cares? They are all better on PC anyways.

Meanwhile, I can't play Nintendo games except on Nintendo hardware. And yes, I'd rather play Mario than Skyrim as well.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'd much rather play Mario than Skyrim. :)[/QUOTE]

WHat are you doing in a Wii U thread!?!?

[quote name='TheLongshot']Who cares? They are all better on PC anyways.

Meanwhile, I can't play Nintendo games except on Nintendo hardware. And yes, I'd rather play Mario than Skyrim as well.[/QUOTE]

You should read about something called "Dolphin" people were bragging about on some import thread. Evidently you can play them on your PC.

bread's done
Back