Wii U back in stock @ Target

[quote name='Blaster man']I'd rather play The Witcher 2 and Skyrim than Mario or Zelda. Nintendo makes some good games no doubt about that but IMO they don't hold a candle to many other games being developed. When will Dragon Age Origins or DA2 show up on the Wii? When 3 comes out will it be released on the Wii U? Metro Last Light? I'd take that over some Metroid FPS.[/QUOTE]

Witcher 2, Skyrim, Dragon Age: Origins, and Metro Last Light?

You need a PC!

[quote name='jkam']Toys R Us in times square NYC had mountains of these:

photo12312123405pm1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's the biggest TRU in the world but hot damn you can make that setup a maze of Wii U's.

Really, I wouldnt be shocked to see it like that with the 720 and ps4 when the come out.

Gaming has changed since 05-06. More and more kids and even adults want things like iPads, etc for their gaming needs.

Gaming has changed a lot in the last 6 years.

I really just don't think Nintendo games are that great to justify the price, all the other games drop in price but certain Nintendo games do not, we just saw a deal for Mario Kart Wii for $35, really that is a deal for a game that came out years ago? There are many other good games I can play for $10 or less and those games do not have frustrating rubberband AI. This is CAG after all, so I should be looking for the game I can get the most hours out of for the least amount of cost to me and those are not Mario games. Yes some Nintendo games do drop in price, but not all of them, its kind of hit or miss on that.

Especially since Nintendo puts rubberband AI in all their games, the games that are good like Pokemon and Animal crossing get their economy's ruined by hacking, and if you aren't a hacker no one wants to play with you, so the multiplayer is out. I don't see Nintendo doing anything about the hacking, except producing less Pokemon games. The DS Animal crossing was ruined by hacking, was an amazingly fun game otherwise. Pokemon is no fun when every single player has supercharged perfect IV pokemon, if you have anything less you don't even stand a chance so what is the point in playing when you have to use hacks? Try going into the battle tower in Pokemon, the AI trainer knows exactly which move you are going to make when, even if you have supercharged perfectly trained EV and IV trained Pokemon. I have tried it, you literately cannot win. If you are a normal trainer just playing the game and you use your Pokemon you went through the game with then forget it, you don't even stand one eon of a chance against another player in an online battle. The story mode of Pokemon only lasts so long, but yes its long and good while it lasts so there is still something good about Pokemon. Local players for these games are nonexistent especially at my age, and even if I was a kid, no one plays Pokemon in my area, everyone plays COD and Halo. Someone tried to set up a Pokemon league here, it failed quickly.

I would rather play Skyrim or Mass effect than Mario anyday, still can't get past the first level in NSMB Wii, don't really care, but I beat Mass Effect 1 no problem. Oblivion is no problem with the difficulty, haven't bought Skyrim yet because it will be a long time before I even get through Oblivion, by that time there will be a GOTY of Skyrim with all the DLC included.

[quote name='SaraAB']I really just don't think Nintendo games are that great to justify the price, all the other games drop in price but certain Nintendo games do not, we just saw a deal for Mario Kart Wii for $35, really that is a deal for a game that came out years ago? There are many other good games I can play for $10 or less and those games do not have frustrating rubberband AI. This is CAG after all, so I should be looking for the game I can get the most hours out of for the least amount of cost to me and those are not Mario games. Yes some Nintendo games do drop in price, but not all of them, its kind of hit or miss on that.

Especially since Nintendo puts rubberband AI in all their games, the games that are good like Pokemon and Animal crossing get their economy's ruined by hacking, and if you aren't a hacker no one wants to play with you, so the multiplayer is out. I don't see Nintendo doing anything about the hacking, except producing less Pokemon games. The DS Animal crossing was ruined by hacking, was an amazingly fun game otherwise. Pokemon is no fun when every single player has supercharged perfect IV pokemon, if you have anything less you don't even stand a chance so what is the point in playing when you have to use hacks? Try going into the battle tower in Pokemon, the AI trainer knows exactly which move you are going to make when, even if you have supercharged perfectly trained EV and IV trained Pokemon. I have tried it, you literately cannot win. If you are a normal trainer just playing the game and you use your Pokemon you went through the game with then forget it, you don't even stand one eon of a chance against another player in an online battle. The story mode of Pokemon only lasts so long, but yes its long and good while it lasts so there is still something good about Pokemon. Local players for these games are nonexistent especially at my age, and even if I was a kid, no one plays Pokemon in my area, everyone plays COD and Halo. Someone tried to set up a Pokemon league here, it failed quickly.

I would rather play Skyrim or Mass effect than Mario anyday, still can't get past the first level in NSMB Wii, don't really care, but I beat Mass Effect 1 no problem. Oblivion is no problem with the difficulty, haven't bought Skyrim yet because it will be a long time before I even get through Oblivion, by that time there will be a GOTY of Skyrim with all the DLC included.[/QUOTE]

I think your points on their terrible pricing structure are spot on. The fact is, they think of themselves as a premium brand and maybe they are but the way they stubbornly hold prices up reminds me of Apple. The difference is that Apple actually has sales to justify their behavior. They can easily sell 30 million iPhone in a 3 MONTHS (quarter) period. Nintendo will be lucky if the sell that many Wii U's in the next 3 YEARS. The fact is, the only way to get Nintendo games cheap is often to get lucky with a store clearancing them out like Sears selling Skyward Sword for $9.97 right now.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']Dashed? Preorder slips went for $600 on eBay. I think those who sold early did just fine.[/QUOTE]

sure...>_>

[quote name='TheLongshot']Who cares? They are all better on PC anyways.

Meanwhile, I can't play Nintendo games except on Nintendo hardware. And yes, I'd rather play Mario than Skyrim as well.[/QUOTE]

One could say just about every game released on consoles and on PCs that the PC version is usually king (except on a few occasions). I

n any case, while I love me some Skyrim and my "hardcore" titles, I do tend to like to unwind on much more simpler pleasures. I think thats where nintendo finds their value. They make very simple ideas seem complex and fun without being too difficult or too easy (only exemptions being a handful of GC nintendo games that were made to be easy by design). They also make games that just about any would like to play.

I think some CAGs are trying to convince themselves that Nintendo isn't all that. Course, we've had some CAGs wish that Nintendo would get out of the hardware business so that they can play their games without buying their hardware. Course, others here will buy when their drug of choice comes available.

The titles that do hold their price (despite what has been said, not everything Nintendo holds their price) are amongst the highest in demand. In general, Nintendo makes quality games that are fun for the whole family, with IP that is easy to sell not just to older fans, but to younger fans as well. My 7 year old nephew is still very Mario crazy.

Companies have come and gone, but Nintendo has been a very consistent performer and people know what the brand means. Certainly, no one beats them in being family friendly and fun for all ages.

[quote name='Sk']One could say just about every game released on consoles and on PCs that the PC version is usually king (except on a few occasions).[/quote]

There are PC ports that are not so good, but the situation has improved in recent years.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I think some CAGs are trying to convince themselves that Nintendo isn't all that. Course, we've had some CAGs wish that Nintendo would get out of the hardware business so that they can play their games without buying their hardware. Course, others here will buy when their drug of choice comes available.

The titles that do hold their price (despite what has been said, not everything Nintendo holds their price) are amongst the highest in demand. In general, Nintendo makes quality games that are fun for the whole family, with IP that is easy to sell not just to older fans, but to younger fans as well. My 7 year old nephew is still very Mario crazy.

Companies have come and gone, but Nintendo has been a very consistent performer and people know what the brand means. Certainly, no one beats them in being family friendly and fun for all ages.[/quote]

Really, because I remember them being a very distant third in the decade that preceded the release of the Wii.[/QUOTE]

If the game was killer then the price and longevity could be justified but I don't see anything so killer about Nintendo to justify the price being charged for their games. If I want simple games and Nintendo games are FAR from simple based on what I played there are plenty of those on Apple devices and the Xbox live arcade. Heck if I want truly casual games I can go on Facebook and play them for free.

The only reason to buy Nintendo is if you are a huge fan of one of their franchises since you can't get the franchise elsewhere. Some kids really love Mario games, I know my cousin does, I don't know how he plays them, I don't know if he beats them but he likes them nontheless.

I don't think Apple pricing is all that bad for what you are getting, there are a lot of used apple products out there, their refurbs are good and they did have some pretty good deals for BF. I can personally see in my own life that a ton of Nintendo's customers have moved to Apple, the Wii owners have become iPad owners and the kids who had a DS Lite now have the iPod touch or the iPhone or perhaps even their own iPad. I only know one adult in my family besides me who has a DS and she has a Lite and only plays a few games on it, she is not interested in upgrading. I can name many adults in my family with an iPad, heck almost all of them have one, or have one that they use at some point.

[quote name='OregonDealz']Ugh i cant wait till this is 199$ and there is an HD Zelda to play.[/QUOTE]

I'm holding out for $150 and waiting to see if Nintendo can even make an epic Zleda game anymore.

[quote name='BNoyes']I'm holding out for $150 and waiting to see if Nintendo can even make an epic Zleda game anymore.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo only do rehash

I hope flippers know that all they are gaining from trying to flip a Wii U , is just having Nintendo keep the price it's at for a while. Should of let it tank on sales so they would of been forced to adjust the pricing of the machine.

[quote name='OregonDealz']Ugh i cant wait till this is 199$ and there is an HD Zelda to play.[/QUOTE]
When Nintendo release a remake of Skyward Sword with more content or release a special limited Zelda Wii-U, that's when I'll give Nintendo all my money.

Just anecdotal story, but I purchased a Wii u on launch day at Walmart. Didn't sell on eBay so returned at end of 15 day return period. Three different employees mentioned "wow another return" Didn't bother to ask how many (didn't really care at the time) but would figure to be at least a few. They had 9 to sell plus whatever preorder they did, but sounds like quite a few launch day returns.

So curious how many of those 400k got returned and will get returned in next few days. I tend to agree that eBay is good metric of demand, it just means people are so psyched to get something they will pay over msrp. Clearly not the case here. The Wii burnt too many people in that it was bought, played a month, then collected dust. Looks like consumers are not excited...

Saw 2 available at my Wal-mart near 77388 yesterday. No Targets in my area have it. I already have one, just curious how it's doing. I played it for a few hours the first weekend ( Thanksgiving), but haven't touched it since.

I was surprised that my store didn't sell out of the WiiU. Seemed more people were interested in the 3DS which was on sale.

I'm making a unilateral call here that Wii U at MSRP threads are now no longer valid in the Deals forum. I'm moving this to the Wii forum. Now, should some gift card/bundle deals come up, then those would be OK.

[quote name='HyperG']I hope flippers know that all they are gaining from trying to flip a Wii U , is just having Nintendo keep the price it's at for a while. Should of let it tank on sales so they would of been forced to adjust the pricing of the machine.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's Christmas time. So no matter what, they would sell good numbers at this time of year. Don't worry, once the new year rolls around, their fiscal numbers leading up to March will reflect the overall picture.

I'm sure a price drop will be announced before E3 along with some quality titles(3D Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Ect.).

[quote name='kilik64']Just anecdotal story, but I purchased a Wii u on launch day at Walmart. Didn't sell on eBay so returned at end of 15 day return period. Three different employees mentioned "wow another return" Didn't bother to ask how many (didn't really care at the time) but would figure to be at least a few. They had 9 to sell plus whatever preorder they did, but sounds like quite a few launch day returns.

So curious how many of those 400k got returned and will get returned in next few days. I tend to agree that eBay is good metric of demand, it just means people are so psyched to get something they will pay over msrp. Clearly not the case here. The Wii burnt too many people in that it was bought, played a month, then collected dust. Looks like consumers are not excited...[/QUOTE]

I preordered one online at TRU a few months back and figured I would either keep it, or end up flipping it on Ebay. As the weeks passed and I looked more and more at the launch lineup, I just canceled it altogether. Not nearly enough content to get me interested, and I figured the "secondary market" wouldn't be there to justify the hassle after fees and shipping. Looks that has come to pass.

I might end up jumping in when the MSRP drops and better games become available, but it just seemed obvious to me this was going to be a tough sell with that roster of games (no "real" new Mario game, no Zelda, nothing but a "mini game" anthology and ports of games readily available on other systems). I love Nintendo but I couldn't jump onboard this launch.

[quote name='kilik64']Just anecdotal story, but I purchased a Wii u on launch day at Walmart. Didn't sell on eBay so returned at end of 15 day return period. Three different employees mentioned "wow another return" Didn't bother to ask how many (didn't really care at the time) but would figure to be at least a few. They had 9 to sell plus whatever preorder they did, but sounds like quite a few launch day returns.

So curious how many of those 400k got returned and will get returned in next few days. I tend to agree that eBay is good metric of demand, it just means people are so psyched to get something they will pay over msrp. Clearly not the case here. The Wii burnt too many people in that it was bought, played a month, then collected dust. Looks like consumers are not excited...[/QUOTE]

I picked up a part time seasonal position at TRU so I can only relay what has happened at the store I am working at. We sold out of all original stock, got quite a bit more for black Friday weekend and sold out of those, then got one more shipment that sold out this past weekend. I haven't personally seen any returns and if there was any they were repurchased unless returns get sent back or something. It really doesn't matter how many they sale though. People will just come up with some reason to make it seem insignificant regardless.

I am going to assume the return rate would be on a store to store and possibly area to area basis.

TRU customers are a lot of gift giving buyers and people buying for their kids, which would be the people who intend to buy the system to keep it and play it, or to keep it and gift it. Flippers tend to hit Walmart and Target more probably because their stores are bigger and easier to return at. Its no surprise that Walmart is seeing a lot of returns on these things, some people probably bought it and are now feeling buyers remorse. However TRU buyers will probably be doing a lot of returning after the holidays for products that don't work or products that their kid did not want or like. It will be interesting to see what returns are like for the Wii U the day after Xmas.

Also it depends on how active your area is for flipping, some areas have no flippers other areas are full of them. Also how active your area CL is if you have one, in areas where CL is huge there is bound to be more flippers thus more people buying and returning.

Another person mentioned the iPad, the iPad 2 was on sale with a $75 Walmart Gift Card on BF, and at $399 that is priced close to the Wii U.

IMO Nintendo needed to have one model of their system, the deluxe only, price it at $299 and bundle Nintendo Land with it, that is a full $100 cheaper than the iPad 2 and it comes with a game. If they wanted to offer a White system they could have just made the deluxe in White as well. Too many models confuse people and the basic model is so bad and has so little storage and doesn't come with the $60 retail Nintendo Land that I doubt they are selling any at all except to people who can't find a deluxe or those who have no idea what they are buying. At the pricing model I described it would have sold a lot more.

I really don't think the lack of games on the Wii is turning too many people off from this system, most of the people who bought a Wii are casuals, and since they already have a Wii and are probably still satisfied with it they simply have no need to buy another product that is similar. The hardcore gamers know what they are getting into by getting this system so those people won't have buyer's remorse either. The truly hardcore will buy any system the first day it comes out and just keep it regardless. There might be some parents who have to return it after their kids change their mind and say they want the Xbox 360 or PS3 instead. The in-store buyers who come to a store looking for a game system who do not have any yet and do not know which one to buy can be easily swayed into anything and will probably buy one of the PS3 or Xbox 360 bundles since they are a lot cheaper and come with games, these people are looking for a sale or a deal so the Wii U will not appeal to them.

Target here has moved the Wii U display to the back where you can't even see it and the PS3 display is now in front. I don't know if this is for everyone's store or if its based on what is selling where. Now you can't even see the Wii U from the front of the electronics section, its almost as if it does not exist when you first get there, they also have a full endcap of the Wii/Skylanders displayed prominently in front. I would think the Wii U should be the first thing you see when you walk into Target's gaming department.

I will be amazed if we look back (when the next generation hits) on the Wii U and it sells anywhere close to what the Wii sold. The Wii had a gimmick that actually worked. I never got into it, I have a Wii and the only game I played on it was new super mario. A lot of people who don't normally play games did get into it though. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see the same thing happening with the Wii U and the new controller. I'll probably pick up a Wii U but I've owned every new major console for the past 15 years or whatever. I think if microsoft plays their cards right has the chance to absolutely dominate the next generation. I hope not though because I kind of likes having some competition with consoles.

Mircosoft seems to want to make their 720 more inline with running up against Apple. The 2nd sku that wont be able to play any AAA titles kinda baffles me.

The Wii worked because it was new and different, and it did something no other console did with the motion controls at the time. The Wii U does nothing of that, it just streams games to the tablet and you can continue games on the tablet while someone else watches the TV. This is not a very exciting feature. Again I don't see this being an issue in America since everyone has more than 1 TV in their house.

[quote name='SaraAB']The Wii worked because it was new and different, and it did something no other console did with the motion controls at the time. The Wii U does nothing of that, it just streams games to the tablet and you can continue games on the tablet while someone else watches the TV. This is not a very exciting feature. Again I don't see this being an issue in America since everyone has more than 1 TV in their house.[/QUOTE]

You are overlooking some crucial facts.

The Wii didn't just work because it was new and different. It worked because it was new, different, easy to understand, and cheap.

Of course, the obvious counter-argument is that while the Wii U is both new and different, it is most certainly not easy to understand, nor is it cheap. Those are the elements that will really prove troublesome to Nintendo.

The expectations surrounding the Wii U are more than a little blown out of proportion. The system has been selling surprisingly well, despite the fact that it isn't "sold out." And the supply of games at launch was frankly staggering. (which says a lot about the faith that developers have in the system)

For the time being, the Wii U is going to be struggling to compete against the XBox 360 and PS3. This will be an uphill battle, and the Wii U is not going to run away with the audience the way its predecessor did. What will really show if the Wii U was a worthwhile experiment for Nintendo is how well it fares against Microsoft and Sony's next systems.

Nintendo just have to drop the price by $50 next Christmas and it will be at a price ps4 and 720 can't really complete

They should have just put a Nexus 7 with a Nintendo App in the box instead of their tablet. Nintendos controller isn't a real tablet. If I remember correctly, Nintendo is said to be paying about 160 to 170 for the controller. If they had the Nexus 7 they would have attracted a lot of people since its a REAL tablet and it's only $200 so they could have had a really good deal. Leave hardware manufacturing to the people that know what they are doing because if 160 is the best they could do for a resistive touch screen tablet with no real built in hardware, they're doing it wrong. Heck, even the iPad's margin is like 50% so Apple is able to manufacture iPads for around $250.

[quote name='62t']Nintendo just have to drop the price by $50 next Christmas and it will be at a price ps4 and 720 can't really complete[/QUOTE]
It should be obvious by now that MS is going to be very agressive on pricing. These XBL contract consoles are nothing but a dry run for the 720 and everyone knows from years of experience that people would rather pay more under contract than full price up front. I expect the 720 to be $199 under a 2 year XBL contract. Good luck with that Nintendo and your $350 console.

When you think about it, the average consumer (not us) just buys a year on the Xbox at $60 with their card. That's $120 for 2 years. Add to that $200 discount on the console and you're up to $320. Under contract the customer has to pay $15 a month for 24 months or $360. So to the average consumer, they'll only be paying $40 more over two years to get the next box for $199.99 day one and they'll probably be GIVING AWAY the 360 under contract next year. If successful, this strategy can really disrupt the market and the other guys are going to scramble to catch up. Sony has a service so they could do something similar with PS+ but Nintendo...?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blaster man']They should have just put a Nexus 7 with a Nintendo App in the box instead of their tablet. Nintendos controller isn't a real tablet. If I remember correctly, Nintendo is said to be paying about 160 to 170 for the controller. If they had the Nexus 7 they would have attracted a lot of people since its a REAL tablet and it's only $200 so they could have had a really good deal. Leave hardware manufacturing to the people that know what they are doing because if 160 is the best they could do for a resistive touch screen tablet with no real built in hardware, they're doing it wrong. Heck, even the iPad's margin is like 50% so Apple is able to manufacture iPads for around $250.

It should be obvious by now that MS is going to be very agressive on pricing. These XBL contract consoles are nothing but a dry run for the 720 and everyone knows from years of experience that people would rather pay more under contract than full price up front. I expect the 720 to be $199 under a 2 year XBL contract. Good luck with that Nintendo and your $350 console.

When you think about it, the average consumer (not us) just buys a year on the Xbox at $60 with their card. That's $120 for 2 years. Add to that $200 discount on the console and you're up to $320. Under contract the customer has to pay $15 a month for 24 months or $360. So to the average consumer, they'll only be paying $40 more over two years to get the next box for $199.99 day one and they'll probably be GIVING AWAY the 360 under contract next year. If successful, this strategy can really disrupt the market and the other guys are going to scramble to catch up. Sony has a service so they could do something similar with PS+ but Nintendo...?[/QUOTE]

The problem is the rent a center model only appeals to a certain population. They would have take into account of people stop paying or simply return the system. Plus when you factor that almost half the Xbox 360 user never use XBL it is not going to make a difference.

[quote name='62t']The problem is the rent a center model only appeals to a certain population. They would have take into account of people stop paying or simply return the system. Plus when you factor that almost half the Xbox 360 user never use XBL it is not going to make a difference.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is at all like rent-a-center. It's much more like a contract with a cell phone including an ETF. Rent-A-Center is completely different. People are used to doing contracts with cell phones to bring down the cost and most people don't want to spend $650 on an iPhone.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't think this is at all like rent-a-center. It's much more like a contract with a cell phone including an ETF. Rent-A-Center is completely different. People are used to doing contracts with cell phones to bring down the cost and most people don't want to spend $650 on an iPhone.[/QUOTE]

You need a data plan to use iphone. For people that don't want to pay up front, they are the people that use rent a center. Like I said more than half the Xbox 360 owner never use XBL. When they have to factor in people who stop paying or return the system, they might not want to risk it for a new system. If someone buy a new system and there is no new games in the next several months, he is not going to keep it.

[quote name='62t']You need a data plan to use iphone. For people that don't want to pay up front, they are the people that use rent a center. Like I said more than half the Xbox 360 owner never use XBL. When they have to factor in people who stop paying or return the system, they might not want to risk it for a new system. If someone buy a new system and there is no new games in the next several months, he is not going to keep it.[/QUOTE]
If half the people with Xbox's have XBL then that's tens of millions of people that could get in on this and I'd almost guarantee that MANY more would sign up for it than you believe. As for your concerns about returns, nothing stops you from returning an iPhone but you don't because you want it. Sure some people will return the Xbox but some people also return the iPhone. If you miss the return period and you cancel XBL you have to pay an ETF just like a cell phone contract.

I tried to copy the section but the box doesn't copy over. LOok at section 11.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/xbox-live-contract-terms
11. EARLY TERMINATION FEES.

I really believe you underestimate the number of people willing to sign up for this in order to save $200 out of the gate.

Many of those ETF ended up being collect by collection agency, because if those people really need to save $200, chances are they don't have money in the bank account. You also underestimating how much risk to do this with a new product.

[quote name='62t']Many of those ETF ended up being collect by collection agency, because if those people really need to save $200, chances are they don't have money in the bank account. You also underestimating how much risk to do this with a new product.[/QUOTE]

ETF's get sent to collections? Okay sure, I have no hard numbers do dispute this assertion but if correct then it must still make financial sense to offer subsidies or the carriers simply wouldn't be offering them. It seems that you believe that this is going to fail. I'm 100% certain that this is going to succeed and HUGE numbers of Xbox 720's are going to be sold under subsidy. It's human nature to want to pay $199.99 now and the rest + $40 over 24 months.

[quote name='Blaster man']It's human nature to want to pay $199.99 now and the rest + $40 over 24 months.[/QUOTE]

Like I said those people can get that kind of deal at rent a center. Plus at rent a center they can return it any time. Yes they can play online but over half the users dont use it.

[quote name='62t']Like I said those people can get that kind of deal at rent a center. Plus at rent a center they can return it any time. Yes they can play online but over half the users dont use it.[/QUOTE]

Can't say I've ever used rent a center but my understanding is you end up paying WAY more than $40 over retail.

You are extremely negative but you haven't said this isn't going to work. So lets get that out there, are you saying this will not work and very few people will use this? If so, we are in extreme disagreement. I believe "those people" will account for at least 10% of sales.

MS's objective isn't to make tons of money off the contract, it's to increase he install base. I'd like to see the rent a center terms because I can almost guarantee that it's a much worse deal than this or a cell phone contract.

Hey man, last time I bought a car it came with a loan. Same thing with my house. Guess I'm a rent a center kind of guy?

bread's done
Back