Wii U Basic 239.99 @ Target.com

I don't think MS is going to offer a deal with the subsidies. Subsidies make it difficult to buy a console as a Christmas or birthday gift because a parent is not going to pay money every month for a kids birthday gift especially when they are probably already paying smartphone bills for their kid. This could lead parents to pick up a Wii U if Nintendo releases some heavy hitter games and drops the price ala the 3DS. The 3DS is selling now that it is on sale every few weeks and there are tons of games coming out, namely Pokemon in october, which is sure to sell tons and tons of 3DS systems on its own. I still think the Wii U will be ok because of the heavy hitter titles coming from Nintendo, even a new Mario Kart could sell units alone.

Not good though if Nintendo has to drop the price on this for early adopters though, this will be their second console that has to have a price drop within the first year of launch just to spur sales, because that basically says ha ha screw you early adopters we will just charge you more than drop the price later for the masses. This will pretty much ensure that no one buys a Nintendo console at launch in the future.

[quote name='MotzCTG']Nintendo just needs 1 SKU that is the issue. Get rid of all the basics and make Deluxe $299 and be done with it.[/QUOTE]

I think they need to make the Deluxe $249 at E3 if they want to have a hope of people not just saying I'm waiting for the $399 PS4 / Xbox Revolution

[quote name='ColFantastic']http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-turns-a-profit-but-misses-sales-forecast-by-half-6407454

Wii U has apparently sold 3.45 million units worldwide so far. With the economy as bad as it is and Wii U's lack of games, I think that's not the worst. I think they need to drop the price on all models and get it in the hands of users. Take a loss on the unit and people will buy software and accessories.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, $240 is a good price.

At launch they were taking a loss on each unit sold. I'm not sure about now.
They will probably wait until they have some bigger games out to really take advantage of a lower price.

[quote name='OldSchoolGaming4Life']Yeah, I probrably wouldn't worry about that once Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Shin Megami x Fire Emblem among others hits store shelves soon! :lol: :rofl::rofl:.[/QUOTE]

Soon? This is Nintendo we're talking about. It's taking them 9 months to get a Pikmin 3 Wii port out the door. Waiting for E3 is the smart thing to do. I expect an immediate price drop and bundle deal to get this dud selling.

[quote name='blitz6speed']As a Wii U basic owner, its barely worth 99 bucks. It will likely get clearanced out next year or the year after anyway, they only sold 37k Wii Us in america last month, worst selling main console in the history of gaming, and it keeps breaking its own records for lowest amount sold. Definitely do not recommend at this price.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. If people think this console can't go lower, they're fooling themselves. I could easily see $199 for Basic and $249 for Deluxe later this year, if not sooner. But even at those prices, it isn't worth it IMO. I wish Nintendo would stop with the gimmicks and just make solid, decent hardware. Unfortunately that doesn't look likely anytime soon.

$240 still seems like too much...

I think I'm at the point where I'm starting not to care what Nintendo does. I'm just losing interest. Some of the better 1st party stuff wasn't even made by them (like Punch-out Wii or Luigi's Mansion 3DS). I'll admit Wind Waker HD, a new HD Zelda and a new Mario 3D have me intrigued, but other than that I'm feeling less compelled to bother.

Never cared for Smash Bros. and Mario Kart but I have a feeling they will be similar to the past games. Don't care about Pikmin or Fire Emblem so meh. 101 looks interesting but time will tell how it is. I just feel like Nintendo is spinning their wheels currently.

Argh, if the deluxe had this kind of drop, I'd buy it instantly! Is the only real difference between the deluxe and the basic the memory and Nintendo Land? I still may jump on this since I work at target and I get an additional 15% off with red card..

After Microsoft's disappointing Xbox One reveal "conference", I'm more convinced than ever that the Wii U will be my next console purchase. I also wish this discount applied to the Deluxe model; I'm holding out for $250 or less for that. :pray:

[quote name='Vigilante']After Microsoft's disappointing Xbox One reveal "conference", I'm more convinced than ever that the Wii U will be my next console purchase. I also wish this discount applied to the Deluxe model; I'm holding out for $250 or less for that. :pray:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that XBOX press conference was so good I wanted to preorder a PS4 right in the middle of it. It also reminded me of this Wii U deal (had a lot of time to think while they were babbling on about TV features) that I'd probably bite on if I knew I could get this price in-store without trouble.

Just a PS to those wanting the Deluxe over the Basic, you can get Nintendoland for about 40$ or less currently making the total of the Basic and Nintendoland the MSRP of the Basic.

And if you are looking for extra memory, get one of these: Sandisk 32GB Compact Flash Drive Or use an external HDD.

[quote name='VexxedCS']Yeah, that XBOX press conference was so good I wanted to preorder a PS4 right in the middle of it. It also reminded me of this Wii U deal (had a lot of time to think while they were babbling on about TV features) that I'd probably bite on if I knew I could get this price in-store without trouble.[/QUOTE]

You'd be able to get the price no problem in-store. Just let them know you want to price match it with Target.com and there shouldn't be an issue

[quote name='Wazzup4567']Just a PS to those wanting the Deluxe over the Basic, you can get Nintendoland for about 40$ or less currently making the total of the Basic and Nintendoland the MSRP of the Basic.

And if you are looking for extra memory, get one of these: Sandisk 32GB Compact Flash Drive Or use an external HDD.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the main deciding factor for me was more memory.. Nintendo Land would be cool too, but it basically will come out to the same price difference, since its on sale. Isn't there something else about getting 10% off online store purchases with the Deluxe as well?

[quote name='ChuckInKC']This would be a good gamble, considering E3 is coming up next month. However, if it can get to 240, it can be 199 by holiday season.[/QUOTE]

No. If they are (or were) taking a lose at 300 a price drop is still possible, but 100$ off (loss) not likely.

I'm not completely off the Xbox bandwagon yet. I'm convinced this release show was for casual people and E3 will be for gamers. Hoping, hoping, hoping...

Man, I'm seriously considering PMing this at BBY, using a $20 RZ certificate (all I have left to redeem) and the ~$125 I have left on my Pitch-In Card, and paying the remaining ~$108 (including tax) out of my pocket... :whistle2:k

But is there a chance of a better bundle/value/deal appearing down the road? That's the only reason I'm not chomping at the bit for this deal right now.

[quote name='ChuckInKC']I'm not completely off the Xbox bandwagon yet. I'm convinced this release show was for casual people and E3 will be for gamers. Hoping, hoping, hoping...[/QUOTE]

I keep seeing people say this (I'm not picking on you) despite the fact that Microsoft's E3 presentation is always two things:

1) Terrible
2) Super Casual Focused

[quote name='VexxedCS']Yeah, that XBOX press conference was so good I wanted to preorder a PS4 right in the middle of it. It also reminded me of this Wii U deal (had a lot of time to think while they were babbling on about TV features) that I'd probably bite on if I knew I could get this price in-store without trouble.[/QUOTE]

All the television features and hair on CoD Ghost characters convinced me. Plus, that great value that is Xbox Live.

[quote name='VexxedCS']I keep seeing people say this (I'm not picking on you) despite the fact that Microsoft's E3 presentation is always two things:

1) Terrible
2) Super Casual Focused[/QUOTE]

Lately, they've definitely been very focused on Kinect.

[quote name='Graviex']Yeah, the main deciding factor for me was more memory.. Nintendo Land would be cool too, but it basically will come out to the same price difference, since its on sale. Isn't there something else about getting 10% off online store purchases with the Deluxe as well?[/QUOTE]

Not exactly, but you get something like 10% extra points or credits with the Deluxe, which only lasts another year or 2 I believe. It's not for the life the system. You also get a charging cradle for the pad. And the console is black instead of white.

This is tempting, but I would prefer the Deluxe model for the extra storage, cradle and packed-in game (which I keep hearing is a lot of fun, more than you might expect). Hopefully that drops to $250 by Xmas.

Got it last night. Price matching with the site was pretty easy. You can only price match it if its stock and as of now it seems like that it is. Came out to $260 with tax in Las Vegas.

Here is my first hand experience.

- Update - it will take 1.5 hours for initial download and then install.
- TVii set up pretty easy and quick.
- You will need to make a nintendo account, to use the online services.
- Best - You can play most games on tablet. I was playing COD BO and AC3 on the tablet in another room.
- Worst - Each App (i.e. Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Video, and couple others) took me ~10 minutes to update.
- Worst - while playing on a tablet I lost the connection couple of times.

Amazon has bunch of games on sale $40 for NSMB-U, ~$30 COD BO2 and AC3. Amazon warehouse deals has good number of used game for ~$20. Also, rumors on kotaku and joystiq are that there will be bunch of new games announced for this console during the E3 Nintendo direct.

New games to look out for
- Pikmin 3 (August)
- Lugi expansion for NSMB (does not require original disc)
- Zelda Windwaker HD remake (this is why I bought this console, ~November)
- Rumors of Super Mario Galaxy 3, Smash Bros, and probably a brand new Zelda title.

Nintendo is bad at not supporting their new consoles initially, but look at 3DS. It had the best line up this year for 3DS games. I do see a price drop coming by end of the year, so its up to you to invest at this price.

My guess is $230 for Basic and $280 for Deluxe.

[quote name='Graviex']Yeah, the main deciding factor for me was more memory.. Nintendo Land would be cool too, but it basically will come out to the same price difference, since its on sale. Isn't there something else about getting 10% off online store purchases with the Deluxe as well?[/QUOTE]

the reward promotion for the deluxe was for the intitial launch systems, where you get i think it was 5% off games or something like that but someone correct me if I am wrong. Also you can get nintendo land for $20 used at gamestop.

[quote name='EliteCaboose117']the reward promotion for the deluxe was for the intitial launch systems, where you get i think it was 5% off games or something like that but someone correct me if I am wrong. Also you can get nintendo land for $20 used at gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I think it's 10% on purchases in the eShop. It pays out in $5 increments, is on all deluxe models, not just launch, and is only valid for a year.

I coul dbe wrong on some of those details.

[quote name='Vigilante']Man, I'm seriously considering PMing this at BBY, using a $20 RZ certificate (all I have left to redeem) and the ~$125 I have left on my Pitch-In Card, and paying the remaining ~$108 (including tax) out of my pocket... :whistle2:k

But is there a chance of a better bundle/value/deal appearing down the road? That's the only reason I'm not chomping at the bit for this deal right now.[/QUOTE]

Of course down the road. It is just a matter of how long (i.e. this Christmas or Next Christmas).

The fact that this didn't sell out after a retailer specific $60 cut, should tell us that it's STILL not a great deal at all. I think a $50 MSRP drop is almost a given at this point in the not too distance future, however they might need to be even more aggressive than that and have something really big at E3 (i.e. drastic $100 price cut, 128GB model, new bundles/special editions, etc). With E3 so close, there's just no way I'm biting on this now because it really could be the new MSRP very soon.

If you are really itching to get a Wii-U it's not a bad deal, but I'm taking a wait and see approach. I think worst case scenario is Nintendo will 100% have to have holiday bundles in line with PS3/360. Which means something along the lines of $199 and two games.

[quote name='Agent Orange']Of course down the road. It is just a matter of how long (i.e. this Christmas or Next Christmas).

The fact that this didn't sell out after a retailer specific $60 cut, should tell us that it's STILL not a great deal at all. I think a $50 MSRP drop is almost a given at this point in the not too distance future, however they might need to be even more aggressive than that and have something really big at E3 (i.e. drastic $100 price cut, 128GB model, new bundles/special editions, etc). With E3 so close, there's just no way I'm biting on this now because it really could be the new MSRP very soon.

If you are really itching to get a Wii-U it's not a bad deal, but I'm taking a wait and see approach. I think worst case scenario is Nintendo will 100% have to have holiday bundles in line with PS3/360. Which means something along the lines of $199 and two games.[/QUOTE]Thanks, I'll wait it out, then. I have a huge enough backlog as it is. :lol:

[quote name='Deader2818']With Microsoft dropping the ball yesterday, I wouldnt be so sure of getting a $200 Wii U with 2 games this holiday, lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that thing looked like trash to me, but between PS4 and XBOX One that's still even more competition.

Regardless of the new consoles and where they are priced, Wii-U is going to have to compete with 360 and PS3 still on the low end, and those consoles might drop even BETTER than $199 with 2 games, since that's the deal they've had for 2 or 3 years now. I think at this point Nintendo needs to make sure they don't get destroyed by the old consoles undercutting them by $100 or more in value (with bundle/games, etc). It's true Wii-U might not match all the way to $200 with 2 games, but I have like 99.99% feeling that it will be dramatically better than $299 MSRP basic model - and that there will be SOMETHING noteworthy for the holidays (whether that is special edition model at a lowered MSRP, bundle with 2 games at lowered MSRP, $199 basic system... there will be SOMETHING... quite simply Nintendo has no other choice).

[quote name='Agent Orange']Yeah that thing looked like trash to me, but between PS4 and XBOX One that's still even more competition.

Regardless of the new consoles and where they are priced, Wii-U is going to have to compete with 360 and PS3 still on the low end, and those consoles might drop even BETTER than $199 with 2 games, since that's the deal they've had for 2 or 3 years now. I think at this point Nintendo needs to make sure they don't get destroyed by the old consoles undercutting them by $100 or more in value (with bundle/games, etc). It's true Wii-U might not match all the way to $200 with 2 games, but I have like 99.99% feeling that it will be dramatically better than $299 MSRP basic model - and that there will be SOMETHING noteworthy for the holidays (whether that is special edition model at a lowered MSRP, bundle with 2 games at lowered MSRP, $199 basic system... there will be SOMETHING... quite simply Nintendo has no other choice).[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But even a huge price cut (~$100) may not be enough to save it. There just isn't enough appealing about a current-gen console with a short-battery-life gamepad to make people want it; and I'm not sure that bundles or even larger internal storage solutions will save it.

I do agree that the XBox One "reveal" was pretty underwhelming, and I'm not at all sold on that system; as of right now the PS4 looks like the best option for next gen.

[quote name='gldoorii']Does this play VHS tapes like the X1?[/QUOTE]

I know it plays games at least....

Solid deal though, if only this was also for the deluxe. I feel a price drop coming so I'll wait a little longer.

bread's done
Back