Wii U external HDD cheap? (dilemma)

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So here's the deal.  I've got a great USB 3.0 3TB disk.  I use this with my computer.  I also have a 1.5TB USB 2.0 with external power.  This would be perfect for my new Wii U, BUT, I'm using it as a backup for the first drive I mentioned, the main one.

So, I need to either buy a new backup (which would be nice, two USB 3.0 drives) and use my old backup on the Wii U, or I need to just keep my current backup and buy something new for the Wii U.

It would be nice to have a "portable" drive and Y-cable for the Wii U (unless there are problems with that), but it would also be nice to replace my current backup with a USB 3.0 and take advantage of higher transfer speeds.

I have $100 Amazon credit, so it has to be Amazon.  There was a 2TB Seagate something or other for $85 that I would have got, but my credit isn't in yet, and it's apparently no longer available.

I guess my Wii U internal memory will have to hold me until I can figure something out.  Or I can use my backup drive instead, but then nothing will be backing up my important files.

Advice?  Deals? Thanks in advance.

Um back up your important files on the cloud (like Amazon Glazer) or high quality blank DVDs?  Not sure why you are using 2 drives.

Cause my files are constantly in-flux.  I've had two or more external HDDs die on me in the past, and it doesn't seem like they're any more reliable now than in the past.  I like my current system.

Well if you like having 2 drives then you don't have a dilemma.  1.5TB external drive is under $100 on amazon, which is likely more than enough.  Still I suggest looking into something cloud if hardrive failure is a problem for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you like having 2 drives then you don't have a dilemma. 1.5TB external drive is under $100 on amazon, which is likely more than enough. Still I suggest looking into something cloud if hardrive failure is a problem for you.
I suppose the dilemma is whether to buy a new USB 3.0 backup and use my old USB 2.0 backup for the Wii U, or specifically buy something new for the Wii U.

Cloud wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't want to pay for any kind of subscription service, and I think the amount I'd want to back up would probably require paying.

Well Wii U doesn't support USB 3.0, so just use the old 2.0 drive.
Right (which is a shame!), but if I use the old 2.0, then I need to buy a new backup to replace it.

I think that's the best plan, though. Might be nice to have a "portable" drive for my Wii U and use a Y-cable, but it's not really necessary. In the unlikely event I take my Wii U somewhere, I could just move whatever I wanted to play into internal memory.

So that's the original dilemma, whether to get something specifically for the Wii U or get something to replace my old backup (so my old backup can be used on the Wii U).

I'd go either way if I found a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back