Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='KingBroly']I honestly think they should just ditch the Basic, make the Deluxe $299 and remove all of the Stands and Digital Deluxe Promotion and make Nintendoland a digital copy (which they're already doing with the ZombiU bundle). I assume that'll make the system profitable.[/QUOTE]

I agree that they should dump the basic and drop the accessories to lower the price, but they should also increase the Deluxe to 64 GB. 32 GB is just so tiny. It's too tiny, even though yeah its solid state. That doesn't make it any less tiny, and I doubt most people would hook up a USB HDD to it. It's going to kill the download game market if everyone is stuck at 32 GB (or worse, 8 GB)

[quote name='crunchewy']I agree that they should dump the basic and drop the accessories to lower the price, but they should also increase the Deluxe to 64 GB. 32 GB is just so tiny. It's too tiny, even though yeah its solid state. That doesn't make it any less tiny, and I doubt most people would hook up a USB HDD to it. It's going to kill the download game market if everyone is stuck at 32 GB (or worse, 8 GB)[/QUOTE]

They will expand it eventually, but SDDs are still expensive. Xbox 360 started with 20GBs and the PS3 started with 20/60GBs. Personally, I like the having the option of buying a cheap USB 2B HDD a lot more than putting in either a proprietary drive or a laptop hard drive.

[quote name='KillerRamen']They will expand it eventually, but SDDs are still expensive. Xbox 360 started with 20GBs and the PS3 started with 20/60GBs. Personally, I like the having the option of buying a cheap USB 2B HDD a lot more than putting in either a proprietary drive or a laptop hard drive.[/QUOTE]

SSD's are expensive but a 16GB SD card is not. Is it actually a HDD or just solid state memory on the board? I doubt 16GB bought in bulk is that pricy.

[quote name='Blaster man']SSD's are expensive but a 16GB SD card is not. Is it actually a HDD or just solid state memory on the board? I doubt 16GB bought in bulk is that pricy.[/QUOTE]

According to the ifixit teardown, they use this chip from Samsung. http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...ct/flash-emmc/detail?productId=7637&iaId=2324

I really don't know much about it, but that's what they use in the Wii U and I think Smartphones. The largest one they make right now is 64GBs.

[quote name='KillerRamen']According to the ifixit teardown, they use this chip from Samsung. http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...ct/flash-emmc/detail?productId=7637&iaId=2324

I really don't know much about it, but that's what they use in the Wii U and I think Smartphones. The largest one they make right now is 64GBs.[/QUOTE]
The link fails but from your description of it as a chip, it's not a hard drive which is pretty much what I expected. Does Nintendo even describe it as a hard drive? I don't think they do.

[quote name='GHmanRON']Picked up a Wii U today. I got the deluxe bundle with NSMBU. Man, that update was no joke![/QUOTE]

Same. That update took over an hour at least to download. And the transfer process from Wii to Wii U..that's another beast, but it has the best progress animation ever with Pikmin picking up all of your channels/data and moving it into a rocket, blasting off to Wii U, then unloading it all on the Wii U.

Now I just need to wait for some games besides NSMBU and Nintendoland...

I'm starting to think Nintendo Land should have been included as a downloaded title with the system. It would have highlighted the benefit of having quick access to a full game on your console. Most of us understand that already, but it could maybe away others to download more.

Yeah it would be a great download - I just can't justify paying $60 for it when you can find it $40 new in stores.

Isn't that Monster Hunter demo going up soon? I've never played it before

[quote name='DK745']Same. That update took over an hour at least to download. And the transfer process from Wii to Wii U..that's another beast, but it has the best progress animation ever with Pikmin picking up all of your channels/data and moving it into a rocket, blasting off to Wii U, then unloading it all on the Wii U.QUOTE]

Ugh, I wish I could have enjoyed that properly.

My system transfer experience involved lots of crashing and crossed fingers, hoping that I had finally deleted the corrupt file, each of the dozen times I had to run it.

So far I'm happy with my Wii U after one day. Seems really neat. Also enjoying the cheap games like Balloon Fight and F-Zero! Just need to wait for some quality console titles to come..I know they're coming though.

Has nintendo addressed why a number of the large 3rd party titles hitting now and later this year are skipping the wii u?
Is it hardware? The controller? Is it the install base? Is it simply the development cycle?

BioShock Infinite
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
Crysis 3
Dead Island Riptide
Dead Space 3
DmC
Grand Theft Auto V
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Metro Last Light
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Tomb Raider

I'm not trying to flame the system, and some of these still might hit the Wii U. But to me, this is a serious problem now and going forward.

Devlopers are lazy and don't feel like porting.

Some of those games have also been in development for a long time.

GTA still can make it to the Wii U. Crysis 3 has already been confirmed to work great on the Wii U and they would like to put it on the system, but they said they can't do it without a publisher.

So with the PS4 not being backwards compatible (last I heard - and not counting the "streaming" of which I remain skeptical) here's another reason why I had no qualms getting a Wii U at launch and yet will be hesitant to get a PS4 or Nextbox.

I knew that with the Wii U I'd be able to play nearly all of my old Wii content without the need for leaving the Wii hooked up. In fact, I could "upgrade" and get rid of my old Wii in the process. I haven't actually done that yet but given that it is a GC-compatible one I ought to be able to get $60-$75 for it.

With the PS4 (and probably Nextbox as well), I'll have to hold on to those old systems for sure. And we actually have 2 of each and I'll feel like I'll need to keep both (for the various kids). If their next systems were going to have BC I'd feel confidant getting rid of at least one soon and then getting the new system at launch. But as it is I will try to hold off. Unfortunately, my 360 fanboy son will probably want the next Xbox ASAP and I might not be able to avoid that purchase (as much as I would like to).

And sure, I tend to be in the camp of those who downplay backwards compatibility. After all, I still have the old reliable Gamecube hooked up so I never once played a GC game on the Wii. And I still have my PS2 hooked up but haven't used it in at least 3-4 years. But knowing that I won't be all that interested in most of the launch titles for either new system I figured older games will still get most of the playtime for the first couple of years (I didn't get either the 360 or PS3 at launch as I still had lots to play). But, for example, just today I needed to bust out Epic Mickey because my 5 year-old saw the newer game in the store this evening and wanted to play. It was easy as pie to put that in the Wii U and spin it up. Had the Wii U not had that capability I probably wouldn't have bothered (nor would I probably even have a Wii U now).

It is a small thing, but something Nintendo does right in any case.

(And note that I said "nearly all" of my Wii content because it appears the Wii Shop game "Lost Winds" did not transfer nor is available in my previous downloads on the Wii Shop. I was redownloading those games in preparation for the Wii U upgrade program and all the ones that were on the SD card as opposed to the Wii internal memory would not play until I redownloaded them).

Yeah I love the fact that Nintendo has offered backwards compatibility for the Wii (gamecube support) and Wii U.

One area I'm not a fan of however is how they are handling downloadable content. What Sony has offered for PS1 games (ability to make one single purchase and and play these games on PSP, Vita, PS3, and most likely PS4) is fantastic. With Nintendo you have to buy the game twice if you want to play your NES game on your 3DS and Wii U.

In the long term if Sony can deliver on it's promise (ability to play digitally purchased PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, etc games on any future device) it will definitely sway me to buying more digital content. Knowing that the content I buy will be accessible on any future device at no extra charge is something I applaud. I really hope Nintendo eventually adopts this model.

Assassins Creed 3 is awful. What a plodding, joyless, unfun game. I kept waiting for it to get better. Never did. I'll never know why I tortured myself all the way to the end.

Also it fucking crashed on me multiple times. Had to unplug the wii u to restart.

[quote name='io']
(And note that I said "nearly all" of my Wii content because it appears the Wii Shop game "Lost Winds" did not transfer nor is available in my previous downloads on the Wii Shop. I was redownloading those games in preparation for the Wii U upgrade program and all the ones that were on the SD card as opposed to the Wii internal memory would not play until I redownloaded them).[/QUOTE]

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=192888
Apparently transferring lostwinds has been a problem since launch

[quote name='moothemagiccow']http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=192888
Apparently transferring lostwinds has been a problem since launch[/QUOTE]

Interesting - I figured there was just an issue with that one game and wasn't too upset about it. I doubt I'd ever play it again.

[quote name='antlp89']

In the long term if Sony can deliver on it's promise (ability to play digitally purchased PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, etc games on any future device) it will definitely sway me to buying more digital content. Knowing that the content I buy will be accessible on any future device at no extra charge is something I applaud. I really hope Nintendo eventually adopts this model.[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe I misheard or misunderstood - but I thought it was confirmed today that our PS3 digital purchases will not work on the PS4 since it will be a completely different architecture. Ie, no PS3 games will run on it except via that streaming method. Maybe that will work for some people, maybe it won't. But it isn't really on your system then any more. I was actually going to stop buying any more digital content from them because of that. But then again, my purchases have pretty much slowed down to a crawl anyway since PS+ keeps making things free that I already paid for #-o.

Oh yeah, and I'm glad I checked here last night. I decided I could afford the 30 cents on Balloon Fight even if I never play it. I got that late last night before they put F-Zero up. I guess I'll get that now too. It is actually very nice that you can just charge the 30 cents and then not save your CC info. Correct me if I am wrong, but you cannot do such a thing on the allegedly superior PS3/360 online setups, right? Either they charge you in larger increments or hold on to your CC info forever. Of course, we have no way of knowing if Nintendo really deleted that info, but there you go... But maybe those systems have changed - I always use points cards for PS3/360. I was tempted to get one for the Wii U as well but I figured with all these oddball purchases (30 cents now, and $1 or whatever for the VC upgrades later) I'd never use any full $10 or $20 amount.

Yeah PS3 takes your card and keeps it until you delete it. It's stored by default.

Wii U asks to store the card every time you make a purchase. You are never required to store the card. It's simple, good security at least.

Not that eShop doesn't have its quirks.

The PS4 stuff seems odd. If there's some kind of system transfer it would be very strange. You'd be transferring games you can't play on PS4 onto a PS4.

Also it bugs the hell out of me that they bring a load of reporters into a room to watch trailers instead of asking pertinent questions like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow after hearing more about the PS4 and PSN compatibility it looks like purchases made on the PS3 will not transfer over to PS4...

If that is the case then I'm in the same boat as you and really have no desire to buy a PS4 (or vita for that matter) any time soon as the PS3 and PSP should last me a good couple more years.

Damn, that even makes Nintendo look good for allowing the transfer of Wii content to the Wii U at no extra cost.

[quote name='antlp89']
If that is the case then I'm in the same boat as you and really have no desire to buy a PS4 (or vita for that matter) any time soon as the PS3 and PSP should last me a good couple more years.

Damn, that even makes Nintendo look good for allowing the transfer of Wii content to the Wii U at no extra cost.[/QUOTE]

Well, I did pick up a Vita when they were on sale last fall. With all the PS+ freebies it was well worth it. I am really enjoying Uncharted Golden Abyss. I like what I heard about Vita remote play and such - of course it remains to be seen how it is actually implemented.

But yeah, even though Nintendo has that horrid "tied-to-the-system" account setup, at least you have a way of going from Wii to Wii U with that account.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Monster Hunter Demo is go! :D[/QUOTE]

Awesome - will get that ASAP!

[quote name='antlp89']

Damn, that even makes Nintendo look good for allowing the transfer of Wii content to the Wii U at no extra cost.[/QUOTE]

Except that if your system dies, or you upgrade to a different model you're fucked.

Both systems seem to be failing at backcompat and digital games in some regard. Now it's time to see if MS drops the ball too.

[quote name='Corvin']Except that if your system dies, or you upgrade to a different model you're fucked.

Both systems seem to be failing at backcompat and digital games in some regard. Now it's time to see if MS drops the ball too.[/QUOTE]

The way all companies are handling our digital purchases makes me afraid of the future of the industry. That is why I purchase all of my games, films, and music at retail stores whenever possible.

[quote name='Corvin']Except that if your system dies, or you upgrade to a different model you're fucked.

Both systems seem to be failing at backcompat and digital games in some regard. Now it's time to see if MS drops the ball too.[/QUOTE]

If your system dies, you'll be able to redownload all of your digital games. You can get around upgrading to a different system over the phone, but it does take a smidge of work. But apparently that's going to change when that Miiverse app is made available for Phones, since...

A - You'll need a Nintendo Network ID to access it
B - You won't be able to tie the app to hardware, but a moveable account

[quote name='Josh5890']The way all companies are handling our digital purchases makes me afraid of the future of the industry. That is why I purchase all of my games, films, and music at retail stores whenever possible.[/QUOTE]
This may be true for games but I can't see the point of buying music at retail stores anymore. I was all about buying physical CDs for quite a while but what's the point now? You can buy digital albums from Amazon for far cheaper than you'll ever see physical copies available for in stores, there's no need to rip the CD to be able to put it on your computer, mp3 player, etc, all music you buy from them is available from any computer via their cloud service, and it's so much easier to purchase online than having to go to a store. I look at all of the CDs and DVDs I own and I view them as just taking up space and getting in the way. Anyway, complete tangent since this is a game forum and not a music forum, but I could never see myself going back to buying physical CDs.

Not here to complain, just here to say that F-Zero on the WiiU Pad is awesome. Nice D-pad control for the game. Just as hard as I remember it being back in the day... but still amazingly fun.

Yes, F-Zero is awesome. Played the first two circuits and had a blast. Still as fun as it was 22 years ago.

So is anyone playing that never played it originally?

[quote name='antlp89']If that is the case then I'm in the same boat as you and really have no desire to buy a PS4 (or vita for that matter) any time soon as the PS3 and PSP should last me a good couple more years.[/QUOTE]

This is my mentality, I have no reason to get a PS4 while I have an endless backlog of PS3, PS2 and PSP titles awaiting me. The only thing that would make me cave into getting a PS4 is a new Metal Gear game -- and not something like Rising, it would have to be a title helmed by Hideo Kojima himself.

As for the Wii U, I love that there's backwards compatibility. Never had a Wii and it's basically all I've been playing thus far on the Wii U. I've already finished up Super Mario Galaxy and have moved onto Metroid: Other M. I'm eager to try RE4, Capcom v. Tatsunoko, Smash Brawl, and Metroid 3.

[quote name='antlp89']So is anyone playing that never played it originally?[/QUOTE]

Never played F-Zero (only the GameCube one), so I'm psyched to give this a whirl for .30 cents. I can't wait for Kirby's Adventure and Super Metroid to be released.

[quote name='Corvin']Yes, F-Zero is awesome. Played the first two circuits and had a blast. Still as fun as it was 22 years ago.

So is anyone playing that never played it originally?[/QUOTE]

I never played any NES games except the Mario Bros. pack-in and a couple of the Zelda games. I don't think I played any SNES games either and only N64 games on emulation - so pretty much all of the VC stuff is new to me. I went from the Atari to the Colecovision to PC (well, Mac, really) gaming until I came back to consoles with the Gamecube.

[quote name='Corvin']Yes, F-Zero is awesome. Played the first two circuits and had a blast. Still as fun as it was 22 years ago.

So is anyone playing that never played it originally?[/QUOTE]

I never played the original and so far it's really fun for a retro game. I love the music too it reminds me of the F-Zero smash bros stages. :)

Anyone who doesn't love the soundtrack for Big Blue should be checked for some sort of gaming-love deficiency illness. (GLDI is now a registered trademark of Psunami)

I was very happy to struggle with a few of the boards but not get too upset about getting bumped off the track. I really had forgotten how challenging some of the tracks get as you play more and more.

I am hoping the Microsoft doesn't have the backward compatibility issue that Sony has. Sony changed architectures completely, Microsoft I presume will just upgrade, so hopefully that means that old games will still work on it. Then it's an issue of if they let you transfer XBLA and XLBIG games to it. I guess we find out at E3?

But I won't be getting a PS4 nor 720 at release unless they come up with a way to make them cheap. A Wii U is definitely in the cards for next Xmas, so that's going to be the next console purchase for us.

[quote name='crunchewy']I am hoping the Microsoft doesn't have the backward compatibility issue that Sony has. Sony changed architectures completely, Microsoft I presume will just upgrade, so hopefully that means that old games will still work on it. Then it's an issue of if they let you transfer XBLA and XLBIG games to it. I guess we find out at E3?

But I won't be getting a PS4 nor 720 at release unless they come up with a way to make them cheap. A Wii U is definitely in the cards for next Xmas, so that's going to be the next console purchase for us.[/QUOTE]

The leaked "Durango" specs indicate that the next Xbox will have a similar architecture change to X86 based chips. It's possible Microsoft will have some sort of a OSX like Rosetta layer to run Xbox 360 games not unlike what they did with the original Xbox, but until it is announced, it isnt clear.

I'm hoping for something because I have constrained most of my DLC purchases to Xbox for Rock Band and Dance Central, it would actively discourage me to upgrade if I were to lose that DLC.

[quote name='antlp89']Wow after hearing more about the PS4 and PSN compatibility it looks like purchases made on the PS3 will not transfer over to PS4...

I thought everyone already knew that about the PS3 -> PS4. Folks have been saying that for months (over a year really). On my podcast (that people keep telling me has bad information but constantly turns out to be right) they said this 18 months ago. The reason is because the hardware is so different. The 720 will probably run 360 games though.

Sorry to be off topic, but this is an interesting discussion. The backwards compatability thing for Sony is rough. It not only adds weight to the durango side of the battle (if they allow it based on similar structure), but it also would influence my digital purchases over the months leading to the release.

I hope Sony's plan is to leverage the gaikai service they bought to allow access to older content tied to a PSN ID via the cloud. That way we wouldn't need system emulation, just a strong enough network connection.

I dont know why people would expect Microsoft to offer backwards compatibility when they care the lest about their consumers.

Until they talk more about the gaikai service, not really sure what they will do but im sure they will look into doing something.

If the PS4 is going to be $500 or $600, which currently sounds like it will be the case, that is going to make the Wii U's price tag a lot more appealing. Yes, I realize it isn't as powerful, but it is the new Nintendo console.

[quote name='Deader2818']Seeing how Watch Dogs is on the Wii U vs the PS4 will be the first telling test of how much of a gap there will be.[/QUOTE]

It's supposed to be on "all consoles" right? It might be more interesting to compare it to the 360 and PS3 versions.

I assume he's referring to the WiiU being the Dreamcast of this generation. If the WiiU is barely better than a PS3 it will be interesting to see how much better the PS4/720 look.

[quote name='Corvin']I assume he's referring to the WiiU being the Dreamcast of this generation. If the WiiU is barely better than a PS3 it will be interesting to see how much better the PS4/720 look.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what this "dreamcast of this generation" stuff means but yeah to your 2nd part.

bread's done
Back