Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='dothog']I'm beginning to think you haven't known all along, and we're being used as a crowdsourced thinktank for Nintendo. Spit it out, broseph![/QUOTE]

I wish. If I was an undercover spy for Nintendo I would wear my colors proudly. And of course I'm going to say if someone is right or not. It would be disingenuous of me to deny someone the pleasure of being right. But no one's gotten it right so far.

Well, you've exhausted the best and brightest of CAG. And in the process, agents of Nintendo have obtained enough corporate rocket fuel to lock down the WIIU and fully peripheralize that mofo.

It's a shame how the Wii put the kibosh on a lot of N-fanboyism. It's too bad some of the old Nintendo regulars weren't able to get in here and hazard a guess. Now whatever's hiding under that crown of yours is left to our spent imaginations. SADFACE.

Well the person who said it was going to be like how Cube games worked on Wii was on the right the track, but it's sort of a step beyond that from what I was told. However, it'd still be a tiny bit different from what it is now.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well the person who said it was going to be like how Cube games worked on Wii was on the right the track, but it's sort of a step beyond that from what I was told. However, it'd still be a tiny bit different from what it is now.[/QUOTE]

Is it going to be like a Wii emulator, with the current Wii desktop running in its own sandbox, seperate from the rest of the WiiU? (OS wise)

That's really the only thing that makes sense from your comment, since we aren't talking about something like plugging in GameCube controllers or using GameCube memory cards to play GameCube games. There shouldn't be any hardware adaptions needed to support Wii games, so it must be there is a seperation of modes somehow.

1299089640932.jpg

[quote name='TheLongshot']Is it going to be like a Wii emulator, with the current Wii desktop running in its own sandbox, seperate from the rest of the WiiU? (OS wise)

That's really the only thing that makes sense from your comment, since we aren't talking about something like plugging in GameCube controllers or using GameCube memory cards to play GameCube games. There shouldn't be any hardware adaptions needed to support Wii games, so it must be there is a seperation of modes somehow.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's pretty much it. Dual OS, basically. Basically the Wii OS would show up on Wii U as its' own separate thing for games and channels. It really baffled me when I heard it too, considering how 3DS does things. But it might not work that way (and I hope it doesn't).

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, that's pretty much it. Dual OS, basically. Basically the Wii OS would show up on Wii U as its' own separate thing for games and channels. It really baffled me when I heard it too, considering how 3DS does things. But it might not work that way (and I hope it doesn't).[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if that happened. I could see them doing that if integrating backwards compatibility means that it would weaken the console overall. As long as I can continue to play Wii games, I think it will be fine, if not ideal.

Well you can continue to play Wii games. But like I said, it sounds to me like the Wii Channels will carry over as well. I don't know how things off the SD card will play though. But there's something else I heard in regards to that.

I heard the Wii U cures all known diseases! It also runs on unrefined plutonium and the sadness of children! It will no longer use disks. Games will be downloaded via the built-in 56K modem. An Internet connection is required at all times, and any loss of connection results in all your saved games being wiped.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Anonymous source claims Wii U will not, I repeat NOT feature a receptacle for collecting urine.[/QUOTE]

That doesnt mean I wont still try!

[quote name='dothog']So I heard a rumor that SMB4 is going to be on the WIIU. And I was all like...
[/QUOTE]

...all blocky and low res.

RUMOR: SM4 will have 4 different art styles, SMB1, SMB3, SMW and NSMB

I'm just playing along, but this would still be an awesome idea.

So Reggie previously confirmed that the Wii U sadly won't upconvert Wii games...what do you think the chances are that they'd possibly rerelease select Wii games in HD the same way they rereleased a few Gamecube games in 16:9 with the "New Play Control" line? If I could play Xenoblade and The Last Story in HD, it'd be enough for me to actually consider getting a Wii U...

[quote name='Cheapskate']So Reggie previously confirmed that the Wii U sadly won't upconvert Wii games...what do you think the chances are that they'd possibly rerelease select Wii games in HD the same way they rereleased a few Gamecube games in 16:9 with the "New Play Control" line? If I could play Xenoblade and The Last Story in HD, it'd be enough for me to actually consider getting a Wii U...[/QUOTE]

I think there will be, but the danger is them not doing them in bundles.

The "skylander portal" tech in the Wii U controller has me worried for a lot of reasons.

I like the idea of skylanders, but it is a collectible set of toys with a game tied to it. The people making these things need to realize that they are peripherals and release them in the market that way. Skylanders are still sold like toys, packed in boxes based on character popularity with no solid way of acquiring a set or specific figure if you want them.

I agree, they shouldn't go overboard with stuff like that. But Wii U allows devs to get around Activision's Portal. Heck, maybe Activision can get around it, too.

I thought NSMB Wii taught us the lesson, once and for all, that multiplayer cooperative platforming is at best an opportunity to infuriate a friend and at worst multiplayer cooperative platforming.

[quote name='KingBroly']http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37511382&postcount=18617

If you've ever frequented NeoGaf, you know who he is, and realize that this is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

I lurk here and there, but I don't know the kooks that roam NeoGAF (outside of Dallowchan). And I guess you as well.

This all aside, I had to remind myself who Satterfield was, which is the "the Wii U lineup will be good" guy, so I'm assuming you're saying some GAF member I don't know agreeing to this must be good.

So I'm guessing Retro's game is a launch title, which places release time squarely in November territory.

I had a crazy dream last night that Retro was making Star Fox. It's going to be both flying and foot missions. The twist is that the ground stuff will be first person. It's also going to be Nintendo's answer to a massive multiplayer war sim type game, as players will be able to form squads and fight for or against Andross, with Battlefield 3 type gameplay in a futuristic setting in the Star Fox universe.

I also had a dream I was battling wasps in my old house I grew up in with nothing but a shoe and steely resolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep having dreams that I have really long hair.

And it sucks, because I hate getting haircuts. I always feel like I'm supposed to talk to the hairdresser (Barber? Haircutter?) but I don't know you, I have nothing to say to you.

The most telling thing about the WiiU appealing to the 'core' crowd... the fact that this discussion has devolved into discussing haircuts.

:)

I've occasionally peeked in at NeoGaf, but I can't stand anime speak. I don't last long over there, I can't take those fuckers seriously. It's one thing to think of anime tropes and terms, but to actually fuckin write in them? How?

As for so-and-so's satisfaction with the launch titles, bully for so-and-so. I don't see how that sways any overall concerns.

I'd like to think that the lack of news is Nintendo gearing up for a sneaky launch for a great product. The likeliest case is that they're gearing up to launch another console with supposed core functionality features that won't be adopted in earnest (even for 1st party titles) until late in that console's life cycle.

Less than 2 weeks until E3.

Have I heard more things? You bet I have! But...I'm more curious about this latest batch since it'd be the most mind blowing thing ever. Potential game info too. More system stuff and company philosophy as well. But again, highly speculative.

Let's see...at E3 we'll have...
- Pikmin 3
- NU Super Mario Bros.
- Retro's new
games
- Luigi's Mansion 2 re-reveal
- Animal Crossing 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. 2

And I still don't think NuSMB will come out this year since Nintendo would want to peg it as 'a new 2D Mario that you can only get on this system this year.' Can't do that with NSMB2 for 3DS.

There's also an Eternal Darkness 2 rumor floating about which fucking kills me*. I'm not ready to drop a buncha coin on a new system. Silicon Knights has been pretty quiet since Too Human tanked so there could be some validity to it.

Top 3 Gamecube game for me and I was ready to sit out for the first time on a Nintendo console.

[quote name='Corvin']Top 3 Gamecube game for me and I was ready to sit out for the first time on a Nintendo console.[/QUOTE]

I'm sitting it out (for a while anyway). I've been a launch day buyer of every Nintendo system since the SNES but the Wii has been collecting dust for ages. I'll buy a WiiU in a few years when they are cheaper and there are a bunch of games for $20 or less.

It really depends on what they're bringing to the system's launch for me.

Pikmin 3 won't do it.
NU Super Mario Bros. won't do it.
Zelda would do it, but I think we all know it won't be Zelda.
Smash Bros. would do it, but we know it won't be Smash Bros.
Star Fox...might do it IF online cooperative play is there.
A combination of 3 games would do it
Metroid would do it if it's not made by Team Ninja.

Pikmin 3 & Eternal Darkness 2 have me really interested but not enough. Like others my Wii gathers dust so I'm considering a price drop entry for the first time, if at all. Mario, Zelda & Metroid* no longer do it. I'll buy and play & enjoy them, but they are no longer console selling titles for me anymore. I want to see the smaller franchises get their due like F-Zero, Waverace, Luigi's Mansion and a proper Kid Icarus. Maybe a real Pilotwings. Things we didn't see on the Wii. If the Mii & mini-game collections hit early, it's a death knell for the system.

There is one thing that would be a tipping point for me and that would be a Beyond Good & Evil 2 exclusive. That's unlikely though.

*These 3 really need to shake up their formulas next time out. Pretty HD versions with a DS like controller gimmick of the same games we've played for 30 years isn't enough.

I remember the last time they tried to shake up Metroid and it didn't turn out well. I'd rather it be more traditional next time.

As for 3D Mario...I literally have no idea where they could go beyond Galaxy. But I'm sure it will be excellent.

Zelda...sigh...More meaningful side quests, less padded story, k?

Most of the bad parts in other M were the story. That's pure Sakamoto. The Team Ninja parts were fine.

As for me I'll be importing a Wii U within the launch window. There's virtually no chance of Dragon Quest X not being IP locked to Japan but there are still plenty of Wii games I missed that will get me through the rocky launch period. I am pumped for this after all the problems the Wii had which are now being addressed. Simply cannot wait to have one.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Most of the bad parts in other M were the story. That's pure Sakamoto. The Team Ninja parts were fine.[/QUOTE]

No, not really. They provided a fundamentally counter-intuitive product and no interest making a Metroid game. That's why they made in 3D so it would benefit their making of Ninja Gaiden 3.

[quote name='KingBroly']I remember the last time they tried to shake up Metroid and it didn't turn out well. I'd rather it be more traditional next time.

As for 3D Mario...I literally have no idea where they could go beyond Galaxy. But I'm sure it will be excellent.

Zelda...sigh...More meaningful side quests, less padded story, k?[/QUOTE]

Nintendo will always be my first love... but they are seriously trying my patience. I could be talked into a WiiU in a couple of years but the main franchise games have to be improved (except Mario):

For Metroid I want 2 different games:

- a Super Metroid style game in 2D like NSMB or DKCR but with huge worlds, tons of secrets, gigantic bosses and no hand-holding (actually, put this on 3DS and I'd be fine).

- a Metroid Prime style game in HD with huge worlds, tons of secrets and gigantic bosses (actually if they just remade MP1 and gave it a graphical overhaul - not just upping the resolution - I'd be all over that).

Zelda needs a LOT of work, IMO. I agree they need to have more meaningful sidequests and less nonsense with the story. I'd also like there to be more dungeons (8 + final dungeon is perfect) and a more focused overworld - smaller is fine as long as they pack it with stuff.

What they really need to do is refine the gameplay and polish the finished product a bit more. Nintendo simply needs to provide more for $60 in 2012 considering there is no multiplayer and single player games like Skyrim offer so much. Also, I don't need to know that a blue rupee is worth 5 every single time I sit down to play or some tutorial in the beginning of the game that goes for like 2 hours before you get to actually do anything. Nintendo really needs to do something to this series - it is so stale right now. The last "great" game was Wind Waker, IMO. Everything else (including the DS games) has been either just OK to pretty good but that's about it.

As for Mario - just keep on going. This series is absolutely perfect in every conceivable way. No idea what they could do next but I've got faith.

My thinking with Zelda is they need a new Majora's Mask. And not literally, mind you. What Majora's Mask did better than any other Zelda game was get you invested into the world. At the beginning, Link became just like every other citizen in Termina, a victim at the hands of the Skull Kid's mischief. From there, you mostly assist the townsfolk with their problems, some big, others' small.

While your overall goal was to stop the moon from falling, overall it wasn't what made Majora's Mask stand out from other Zelda games. It was the side quests, with their meaningful writing and plots that led people to do them, love them, and ultimately get rewarded with the Fierce Deity's Mask that drove people to do them. It's the main reason why I love it so much, and many others as well.

In summary, Majora's Mask is Zelda, Dead Rising and Mass Effect 2 all rolled into one.

[quote name='KingBroly']No, not really. They provided a fundamentally counter-intuitive product and no interest making a Metroid game. That's why they made in 3D so it would benefit their making of Ninja Gaiden 3.[/QUOTE]

Outside of the first person bits you'll find the gameplay was pretty widely praised with even a cursory glance at metacritic.

I am a bit surprised at your assertion that making the game in 3D somehow helped Ninja Gaiden 3. How, exactly, did making Other:M in 3D help the development of Ninja Gaiden 3?

Other M and Ninja Gaiden 3 share:
- Slow-Moving third person segments for starters (people hated these in Other M too)
- A mechanic that allows you to regenerate your health with no cost/no point in saving it (Directly going against a core structure of the Metroid formula for exploring/finding items)
- No Energy Balls (the point in fighting enemies goes away)
- No real reward for beating/completing the game
- Poor Framerate (but to be fair, every NG game has a poor framerate, NG3's is just worse)
- Also keep in mind Other M was originally a 2.5D game, but was made 3D because they didn't want to make a Metroid game. This brought in the Sense Move, Concentration and ultimately, by necessity, first person.

Then add in what was done for Ninja Gaiden 3:
- No multiple weapons (The DLC weapons were tacked on, with no unique animations)
- No Weapon upgrades
- No Shop to buy items
- No Flying Swallow
- Repetitive, Mashy Combat instead of tactile combat
- Terrible Boss Fights (The T-Rex trips over itself because he knows he's programmed badly)
- They also made the story worse than Ninja Gaiden 2, which was just 'Go stop the end of the world from a - Dark Bishop and a Naked Chick who swims in blood'.
- The game was also made mind-numbingly easy

And when I say help with Ninja Gaiden 3's development, I mean "help" i.e. not at all.

[quote name='pacemakerguy']wonder if they will actually have a universe like XBOX live or psn. hope so n not so aimed to family crap[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hold your breath. I just don't think they are capable of something like this.

Like I've said before, the Nintendo Network for Wii U sounds a lot like what Sony should've done with PSN in 2006, with a dash of Steam on top of that.

Also, I hope you're ready because in 2013...Barrels...
will be rolled
;)

[quote name='KingBroly']Less than 2 weeks until E3.

Have I heard more things? You bet I have! But...I'm more curious about this latest batch since it'd be the most mind blowing thing ever. Potential game info too. More system stuff and company philosophy as well. But again, highly speculative.

Let's see...at E3 we'll have...
- Pikmin 3
- NU Super Mario Bros.
- Retro's new
games
- Luigi's Mansion 2 re-reveal
- Animal Crossing 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. 2

And I still don't think NuSMB will come out this year since Nintendo would want to peg it as 'a new 2D Mario that you can only get on this system this year.' Can't do that with NSMB2 for 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I'm more interested in Luigi's Mansion (and Paper Mario). Where the hell are they? Luigi should have been out already.

[quote name='pacemakerguy']wonder if they will actually have a universe like XBOX live or psn. hope so n not so aimed to family crap[/QUOTE]

Are you talking a unified online service? Last E3 Reggie mentioned this. Every company/developer has to develop their own infrastructure for their games. Think PS2. Just like Nintendo do dive into 2001 headfirst. :lol:

Of course a lot can change in a year. We'll know soon enough.

bread's done
Back