Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Halo05']I fucking hate screen protectors because I always figured that they were for people who didn't take care of their stuff but now I'm the proud owner of a somewhat scratched up gamepad.[/QUOTE]

I won't even use touchscreen devices until I've acquired and applied a proper screen protector. I did this for my DS, my DS Lite, my 3DS, my Vita, my iPod Touch, and now my Wii U. I went out of my way to stop by a GameSpot and pick up a screen protector 2-pack for my Wii U before I even opened the system. (which I had purchased the day previous)

I don't take any risks when it comes to scratching up my touchscreens. All it takes is one piece of grit.

This worries me because I let my 8 year old nephew play with the Gamepad unsupervised yesterday. I hope it was a fluke, I really hate screen protectors because of they way the make the screens look. Never had one on my previous DS systems or iPhones and scratches have never been an issue.

Anyway, has anyone been able to find a list online of upcoming releases with any solid dates? Maybe that deserves its own thread but all the dates I could find are vague with notable games Wonderful 101 as a Q4 2012 and Pikmin as Q2 2013.

Yes, no one seems to know when Lego City Undercover is coming out. After it got bumped from the launch, I've heard everything from Dec. 31 to March. I'd love this to come out before Christmas but will take early New Year for playing it.

I never expected so many people would line-up outside an Old Navy for Black Friday.

I had to pay someone $10 for a wristband... but hey, beats $60 MSRP.

A Gamestop near me finally got a preowned copy of ZombiU in. I've been on the lookout for one because I have a 20% any preowned game coupon that I got for my birthday that was set to expire soon. I also had a ton of powerup reward points so I bought a $10 off an preowned game coupon for 8000 points so I got ZombiU for about $35 after applying both coupons. Can't wait to play it! :D

[quote name='Lyth']I managed to buy a Wii U 8GB white model from Futureshop.ca. Got some questions though:

1) I'm not getting NintendoLand (might try to pick it up later when it's cheaper, and used). Am I missing out on something big, revolutionary, etc? (People are comparing it to Mario 64 and such!)

2) What games would you suggest? I'm planning on getting The New Super Mario Bros Wii U, and ZombiU.[/QUOTE]

If you've got people to play it with, Then Nintendoland's a worthy purchase. If not, wait for it to get cheaper.

Sonic Racing and Scribblenauts are solid buys, although Scribblenauts is half the price on PC.

Did anybody preorder the Wii U Pro controller from Newegg and receive it? I placed a preorder for one when newegg was running the $12 off preorders promotion awhile ago and then when I checked my preorder they say that the controller will be available 12/31/12? Kind of strange since the controller is already available everywhere else.

[quote name='Metal Militia']A Gamestop near me finally got a preowned copy of ZombiU in. I've been on the lookout for one because I have a 20% any preowned game coupon that I got for my birthday that was set to expire soon. I also had a ton of powerup reward points so I bought a $10 off an preowned game coupon for 8000 points so I got ZombiU for about $35 after applying both coupons. Can't wait to play it! :D[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI in case you don't know or may have forgot, but you get 7 days to return a pre-owned game if you don't like it or there is something wrong with it.

[quote name='pjb16']Just an FYI in case you don't know or may have forgot, but you get 7 days to return a pre-owned game if you don't like it or there is something wrong with it.[/QUOTE]

I do that all the time at Gamestop. ;)

Wow, I bought Just Dance 4 through the eShop, 15GB download and a 2 hour install after it downloaded. I wonder if they'll figure out a preload system like Steam does for future titles? Absolutely love that the Gamepad provides all the download/install statistics though, leaves the TV free for computer use. It'll be nice leaving Twitch streams up while playing games on the pad.

Really having fun with my Wii U lately. It's nice playing console games regularly again after so long (since Dreamcast/Gamecube). It wasn't like this with the original Wii.

That's all, folks!

[quote name='pjb16']Just an FYI in case you don't know or may have forgot, but you get 7 days to return a pre-owned game if you don't like it or there is something wrong with it.[/QUOTE]
I thought you could only return it for the same item? Or is that 30 days?

[quote name='doodofdoods']If you've got people to play it with, Then Nintendoland's a worthy purchase. If not, wait for it to get cheaper.

Sonic Racing and Scribblenauts are solid buys, although Scribblenauts is half the price on PC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I decided to ask my parents for

1) Super Mario U
2) ZombiU
3) Tekken Tag Tournament 2
4) Assassins Creed 3

I wanted to ask for Sonic Racing, or Scribblenauts, but I didn't enjoy scribblenauts on the DS. It's a good game, it's just not my type of genre. Sonic Racing looked great, but it's gotten some really mixed reviews. Shame. I'll pick it up used though, as I want a cart racer. :)

Is there a way to view the post you've Yeah'd in Miiverse? I don't see anything in my profile that lets you.

So, what's the deal with external harddrives?

What's recommended? USB Powered external drive or one that plugs into the wall?

I can get a USB Powered Western Digital Passport 500GB drive for about $30. Real cheap, but I want to know if it'd work with the console or not.

Do USB powered ones need the Y Adapter?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well Tekken is awesome, except for the fact I can't play it worth of shit. I need a video tutorial series on how to play it, any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest that you try out the Practice mode and get familiar with each character's moveset. Once you're in that mode, hit the + button to bring up options...there you can see Command List. It'll show you button combos for various moves.

Oh, on a sidenote, does anyone know if the Wii U is compatible with the online features of old Wii games (i.e. playing Smash Bros. Brawl & Tatsunoko v. Capcom)? Thanks! I still have my Wii U in the box and I'm not 100% sure if I'm keeping it yet (only because my PS3 backlog is so long). Though the more I keep hearing about the it, I think I wanna keep it...

[quote name='jj5206']That is just absurd. Who would pay that much for that?[/QUOTE]

Noone, he just gonna get hit with fees and have to file a non-paying bidder with Ebay and fight to get it credited.

Still easily available around here 2 yesterday and 1 deluxe left tonight at Wal-mart. I'm still holding out and not biting though Youtube is a big help.

Florence KY Wal-mart if anyone wants it go gets it.

FYI, I ordered a copy of Scribblenauts Unlimited Wii U earlier from amazon (have to go to other new offers) for $39.99. There's a 2-3 week wait, but I just need it for Xmas. Isn't this a $59.99 retail game?

[quote name='bjstucker']was wondering if anyone knows where on the e-shop the rayman legends demo is. I played it at gamestop recently.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK there aren't any demo downloads on the eShop, just videos/screenshots.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, I ordered a copy of Scribblenauts Unlimited Wii U earlier from amazon (have to go to other new offers) for $39.99. There's a 2-3 week wait, but I just need it for Xmas. Isn't this a $59.99 retail game?[/QUOTE]

Indeed it is, I believe they are price matching Target's ad for the week.

[quote name='evergoo']Agreed. The controls are unresponsive and I can't even watch a video. Don't bother downloading yet, folks.

Prime Instant Video works fine, though. Briefly watched The Terminator.[/QUOTE]
OMG, Your avatar pic was my favorite guy to pick in Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Anybody else having with Nintendoland and freezing issues? It was playing fine, played quite a few games then started freezing for no apparent reason. =/

[quote name='skiizim']Anybody else having with Nintendoland and freezing issues? It was playing fine, played quite a few games then started freezing for no apparent reason. =/[/QUOTE]
Everything is freezing. This machine doesnt have the reset button as the Wii did so I have to take the power cord out about once or twice a day during heavy playing. Sucks.

[quote name='BREVITY']Everything is freezing. This machine doesnt have the reset button as the Wii did so I have to take the power cord out about once or twice a day during heavy playing. Sucks.[/QUOTE]

Have you completed the updates? I havent had a hang, but I also let everything update before I played any of the games in any depth.

[quote name='skiizim']Anybody else having with Nintendoland and freezing issues? It was playing fine, played quite a few games then started freezing for no apparent reason. =/[/QUOTE]

Nintendoland has just started freezing for me, but I haven't played that much since I got BlOps2. That being said, there is some speculation that it has something to do with Internet connectivity, and that disabling some of the Miiverse features can help alleviate the freezing.

[quote name='hack']Nintendoland has just started freezing for me, but I haven't played that much since I got BlOps2. That being said, there is some speculation that it has something to do with Internet connectivity, and that disabling some of the Miiverse features can help alleviate the freezing.[/QUOTE]

Yep. WHat I've specifically read was changing your language settings to "English only" in Miiverse. I haven't had an opportunity to test this out though. Sure do miss that reset button.

Outside of the F-Zero game, I haven't had any further issues with freezing on Nintendo Land. Still have one now and then when browsing apps on the main menu.

On the last level (14) of the Zelda Battle Quest (as the archer). It's the last one I need "Mastered" status on. Been very close a couple times. Hopefully I'm able to get it tonight!

For the Metroid attraction, how do you
destroy a Metroid without the Ice Beam?
Can't seem to figure it out.

Mine has frozen in the plaza, the coin game, DK, and the Zelda game. Doesn't seem to matter what game is involved. It does all seem to happen in the first few minutes of play- so it seems pretty clear that it's related to the game processing the external mii-verse data into your game.

I laid the system back down flat and haven't had any issues since. I'm 100% certain that it's unrelated to the system orientation, but whatever.

[quote name='Lyth']So, what's the deal with external harddrives?

What's recommended? USB Powered external drive or one that plugs into the wall?

I can get a USB Powered Western Digital Passport 500GB drive for about $30. Real cheap, but I want to know if it'd work with the console or not.

Do USB powered ones need the Y Adapter?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing. My cousin has some 320 gigs he's selling for cheap but they are just the passport drives. Would they work without the power adapter?

[quote name='Rig']Outside of the F-Zero game, I haven't had any further issues with freezing on Nintendo Land. Still have one now and then when browsing apps on the main menu.

On the last level (14) of the Zelda Battle Quest (as the archer). It's the last one I need "Mastered" status on. Been very close a couple times. Hopefully I'm able to get it tonight!

For the Metroid attraction, how do you
Can't seem to figure it out.[/QUOTE]

You
Charge it
. Just wait until
try to beat level without using Charge Shots to Master it.

I thought I turned a corner with Razor's Edge. I thought all was well and good and the game was finally turning into something fun. And then came
Theodore. Now the boss itself is a challenge, and more akin to Genshin in NG2 Vanilla, but that's only part of the problem. The big problem here is that there's NO SAVE POINT before this boss. So what does that mean exactly? You'll always fight him with about half health. Complete. Utter. BULLSHIT.

[quote name='Rig']For the Metroid attraction, how do you
Can't seem to figure it out.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, you
can't actually kill Metroids without the Ice Beam. In every level that has Metroids, there should be an Ice Beam power up somewhere.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I want to buy a set of those also. I wish I knew actual release date... I'd rather just walk in and pick some up. (Walmart has them online also.)[/QUOTE]
From experience, 3rd party controllers suck! However, what intrigues me the most (other than the cool retro designs) is the Wii compatibility. The first party Pro controllers don't work with the Wii. I officially decommissioned my Wii (there's only one place for the sensor bar, so the Wii U wins), but it's good to know that the 3rd party Wii U controllers actually work with the Wii as well.

Not only does that work with Wii games, but it works with NSMBU, because it acts as a Wii Remote. However what I wonder if that includes motion control? Like for tilting platforms and such. I don't know if that's in NSMBU, but it was in NSMBWii as I recall. But my experience with 3rd party controllers in the past has not been good, so I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach with this thing.

i-qqjJ5H2-X3.jpg

bread's done
Back