Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Erad30']
i-qqjJ5H2-X3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Time will tell, but it also appears that Nintendo isnt cracking down on negative posts either. I've seen a few Miiverse posts maligning, or at least complaining about, the game referenced.

Edit: the associated PA post is worth reading: http://penny-arcade.com/2012/11/26/from-hell-to-breakfast

Gee, I suppose that now that I have the Internet working I should check out this Miiverse thing. I only ever saw it with "demo" comments when my wireless wasn't connecting properly. Also, I've had no freezing issues whatsoever except for once the first time I turned it on. But now if I start having problems I guess I can blame Internet connectivity/Miiverse for that.

Curious, are those of you having issues having them post OS and game updates?

I havent had any hard locks, but I have had the Amazon Video app bug out once and fail to respond on the Gamepad, yet still play video on the main screen.

So is the consensus now that the Wii U had a soft launch despite Nintendo claims that it "sold out everywhere"? I just checked Walmart inventories for various high population density areas around the country and most places have the 32GB in stock.

[quote name='Blaster man']So is the consensus now that the Wii U had a soft launch despite Nintendo claims that it "sold out everywhere"? I just checked Walmart inventories for various high population density areas around the country and most places have the 32GB in stock.[/QUOTE]

I recommend calling them and asking if they actually have it in store.

My damn dog chewed through the charging cable for the Gamepad. Had to go to Gamestop and buy a new charging dock since the system is basically (i.e., actually) useless without a charged gamepad. Damn dog.

[quote name='Blaster man']So is the consensus now that the Wii U had a soft launch despite Nintendo claims that it "sold out everywhere"? I just checked Walmart inventories for various high population density areas around the country and most places have the 32GB in stock.[/QUOTE]

The initial batch may have sold out and replacement arrived during the week (this happened with the Wii launch), so NOA may be factually correct. Still, it looks like sales are lower compared to the Wii launch (400K vs 600K).

What is different this time is that the Wii still sold 300K during Thanksgiving week. I dont think the Gamecube was moving many units during the Wii launch timeframe.

All in all 1.2 million consoles isnt bad by any stretch, but it is a little weird that so many of those were Wii and DS sales.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57554183-235/nintendo-400k-wii-u-units-sold-1.2m-devices-total/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='theflicker']Yep. WHat I've specifically read was changing your language settings to "English only" in Miiverse. I haven't had an opportunity to test this out though. Sure do miss that reset button.[/QUOTE]

This worked like a charm for me. Multiple freezes at random spots yesterday, did the English Only change, zero freezes since.

[quote name='foltzie']The initial batch may have sold out and replacement arrived during the week (this happened with the Wii launch), so NOA may be factually correct. Still, it looks like sales are lower compared to the Wii launch (400K vs 600K).

What is different this time is that the Wii still sold 300K during Thanksgiving week. I dont think the Gamecube was moving many units during the Wii launch timeframe.

All in all 1.2 million consoles isnt bad by any stretch, but it is a little weird that so many of those were Wii and DS sales.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57554183-235/nintendo-400k-wii-u-units-sold-1.2m-devices-total/[/QUOTE]

According to this article the Wii only sold 475,000 its first week.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/wii-u-sales-nintendo_n_2194002.html

[quote name='PieterMc']Well my Wii U died on me tonight. Blinking red light and won't power on :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

That's awful, man. Hopefully Nintendo will have some sort of quick turnaround and it's covered by the warranty (hopefully). I really haven't read anything about this but I am now getting nervous for not picking up the extra two year warranty from Best Buy when I bought my console.

[quote name='jr233270']That's awful, man. Hopefully Nintendo will have some sort of quick turnaround and it's covered by the warranty (hopefully). I really haven't read anything about this but I am now getting nervous for not picking up the extra two year warranty from Best Buy when I bought my console.[/QUOTE]

Bring your console back in and we can still get you protection on it.

[quote name='jr233270']That's awful, man. Hopefully Nintendo will have some sort of quick turnaround and it's covered by the warranty (hopefully). I really haven't read anything about this but I am now getting nervous for not picking up the extra two year warranty from Best Buy when I bought my console.[/QUOTE]

I need to send it in for repair. They said it will take 1 - 2 weeks to get it back from the date I mail it. Totally sucks. I've barely even used the thing. He said I was not the only person who has had this problem, not that it makes me feel any better. I would have just tried taking it back to Walmart, but my copy of Mario Bros is stuck inside :cry:

You've got 30 days from the pickup date (or 60 if your silver, I think) to go back in and buy one.

just heard nintendo might be coming out with a mini version of the wii. Why would nintendo waste time in producing those things when they could use that time to make tons more wii u. nintendo puzzles me on some things they do.

[quote name='foltzie']The initial batch may have sold out and replacement arrived during the week (this happened with the Wii launch), so NOA may be factually correct. Still, it looks like sales are lower compared to the Wii launch (400K vs 600K).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57554183-235/nintendo-400k-wii-u-units-sold-1.2m-devices-total/[/QUOTE]

Okay, I have a theory. One that I hope I'm wrong about (but it's a sad statement about people in general). The payment on my Walmart bundle got screwed up somehow. So I called in to fix it. The CS then accidentally cancelled the order while changing the payment. Wait... there's more... then as he tried to reorder it, he had trouble finding the Super Mario U to place in the bundle. Then he asked if I wanted Thor. "Thor? You mean Avengers?" "No, Thor" "Is this a Wii-U bundle or a regular Wii" "Uh... it's the black one". Could there be 300,000 grandmothers being helped by inept minimum wage workers to purchase the "deal" $200 Wii Bundle instead of the Wii-U? It'll be quite the surprise Christmas morning when they unwrap Thor and Kirby 20th.

[quote name='KingBroly']

I thought I turned a corner with Razor's Edge. I thought all was well and good and the game was finally turning into something fun. And then came
Theodore. Now the boss itself is a challenge, and more akin to Genshin in NG2 Vanilla, but that's only part of the problem. The big problem here is that there's NO SAVE POINT before this boss. So what does that mean exactly? You'll always fight him with about half health. Complete. Utter. BULLSHIT.
[/QUOTE]

Hey Broly how are you enjoying Razor's Edge? I never played NG3 on the 360/PS3 cause I heard it was major ass, but I heard Team Ninja did some much needed fixing with this version. Also are you playing with the gamepad or pro controller cause I'm thinking about picking this game up but only have the gamepad at the moment and want to know if the pro controller is highly recommended for this game.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']just heard nintendo might be coming out with a mini version of the wii. Why would nintendo waste time in producing those things when they could use that time to make tons more wii u. nintendo puzzles me on some things they do.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo said they sold 400,000 Wii U, 300,000 Wii, and 250,000 DS units last week. A mini-Wii, if it makes them money, is still very much worth their time.

[quote name='elessar123']Nintendo said they sold 400,000 Wii U, 300,000 Wii, and 250,000 DS units last week. A mini-Wii, if it makes them money, is still very much worth their time.[/QUOTE]

The PSone and PStwo still sold very well for quite some time into their successors existence. In fact WalMarts may have only stopped carrying PS2 games/system this year. GameStop hasnt.

Additionally, the foundries making the Wii chips are different than the ones making the Wii U chips, there is little overlap of resources on the two consoles.

Edit: Another item, a redesigned Wii may also be targeted for other countries as much as continued presence in NA or Japan.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']just heard nintendo might be coming out with a mini version of the wii. Why would nintendo waste time in producing those things when they could use that time to make tons more wii u. nintendo puzzles me on some things they do.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is focused on staying profitable. The people who are in the market for a $100 console are not in the market for a $300 console regardless of backwards compatibility. Nintendo is following SONY's lead and marketing to the budget conscious consumer as well as folks in developing nations.

There is word going around that the Wii mini will use an even smaller chip and draw quite a bit less power than before. If this rumour pans out I will import a Japanese model and use it exclusively as a DQX machine.

edit: For clarification, I believe the Wii uses ~25 watts in game mode. I read speculation that a redesigned Wii could use as little as 10 watts in game mode. Pretty mindblowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cochesecochese']Nintendo is focused on staying profitable. The people who are in the market for a $100 console are not in the market for a $300 console regardless of backwards compatibility. Nintendo is following SONY's lead and marketing to the budget conscious consumer as well as folks in developing nations.
[/QUOTE]

That worked out well for Sega when the Saturn came out. I was in the company meeting when they displayed their business model as similar to GMC with the Saturn being the Cadillac, the 3DX being the Buick, and the Genesis as the Chevy. I'm not kidding. You need to be all in when you launch a new console. Sure, do a year or two of games for you previous system at bare minimum development costs because of the huge base (and ease of spitting out sequels). But it you devote any major resources to your old gen, you're going to get killed. It pissed off the developers (one studio rarely can produce quality games on multiple generations of consoles) and confuses the consumer base.

[quote name='strawyleader997']I don't know why people want to buy a Wii U when it will be worthless once the xbox 720 or the PS4 comes out.[/QUOTE]

Games can only get so pretty. Frame rates so high. The way we play is what needs to change. Even MS and Sony realize this. Kudos to Nintendo for being the curve. If not being ahead of it.

I am wondering if we will ever see 3rd party game pads. Doubtful I know but it has to be done even if it is USB only MadCatz or PDP will find a way.

[quote name='vcplant']That worked out well for Sega when the Saturn came out. I was in the company meeting when they displayed their business model as similar to GMC with the Saturn being the Cadillac, the 3DX being the Buick, and the Genesis as the Chevy. I'm not kidding. You need to be all in when you launch a new console. Sure, do a year or two of games for you previous system at bare minimum development costs because of the huge base (and ease of spitting out sequels). But it you devote any major resources to your old gen, you're going to get killed. It pissed off the developers (one studio rarely can produce quality games on multiple generations of consoles) and confuses the consumer base.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has already publicly announced they will no longer produce Wii software. If the rumor pans out, then Nintendo will only be producing the machine and continuing to press new copies of old games.

This is effectively just an extra revenue stream.

I used a hori screen protector for the game pad and it went on so easily with no air bubbles!!! It was split into 4 sections on taking the plastic off so it can adhere to the screen.

Also thanks for the advice on Nintendoland haven't tried it yet but when I get a chance I will!

I realize this is anecdotal and everyone seems to hate when people say this stuff but I will say it anyway. I bought a Wii 5 months after launch and it was still impossible to find in stores. I had to buy an online bundle to get it. I can walk into a store and get a Wii U a week after launch.

I wish the gamepad would sync with my projector, but all the codes in it appear to be for TVs and monitors from what I can see. At least TVii can talk to the Comcast box.

Frisco, Tx Target as of 3:30 today had 3 basics on the shelf and 2 delux in back of electronics dept. If you want one now and live in DFW area I would check it out. 121 & preston

i just got a wii u delux at local target they had around 8 delux and 10 basic on shelf and just did a search on target.com and 8 targets within 30 miles as them in stock. they must have just got a decent shipments. i have yet seen every store in my area not have at least 1 delux. since release

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i just got a wii u delux at local target they had around 8 delux and 10 basic on shelf and just did a search on target.com and 8 targets within 30 miles as them in stock. they must have just got a decent shipments. i have yet seen every store in my area not have at least 1 delux. since release[/QUOTE]

What area are you in?

on local news they talked about wii u and says that nintedo is saying wii U is sold out in every store at this point(when it's not). Sounds like nintendo is being their typical self trying to get hype for the system that really has not been there before and past launch so they are saying it's sold out .

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']on local news they talked about wii u and says that nintedo is saying wii U is sold out in every store at this point(when it's not). Sounds like nintendo is being their typical self trying to get hype for the system that really has not been there before and past launch so they are saying it's sold out .[/QUOTE]

It might just be a parsing of words - I think the initial shipments sold out everywhere, but the subsequent restocks are sitting around in many places.

[quote name='Blaster man']I realize this is anecdotal and everyone seems to hate when people say this stuff but I will say it anyway. I bought a Wii 5 months after launch and it was still impossible to find in stores. I had to buy an online bundle to get it. I can walk into a store and get a Wii U a week after launch.[/QUOTE]

I can corroborate your experience. I'd take it further, though, and say the Wii was not readily available for about 15 months after launch. On the other hand, my local Fred Meyer has had both versions of the Wii U sitting in their case since last Tues/Weds (after selling their initial shipment in the first 2 days). And I saw the white ones at Target Sunday evening after presumably a ton of shoppers had a chance to buy them.

I think it is a combination of several factors:

1) They do have more Wii U's available than they did Wii's.
2) As others have said, the GC was over and done with and did not cannibalize sales like the Wii is currently doing to the Wii U.
3) It simpy isn't the hot new thing that the Wii was in Nov/Dec 2005.

None of that means it is or will be a failure, it is just a different set of circumstances. It seems to be selling just fine numbers-wise which really seems to support the assertion that they have made many more of these available than they did with the original Wii.

[quote name='jj5206']I'll pick this up depending on the reviews. I'd like to pick up a pro controller and this one has a sweet style.[/QUOTE]

GoNintendo says this:

[quote name='GoNintendo']Either that, or they have speaker-like decorations on them. As reader Kolma says, please remember that these are a combination Wiimote/Classic Controller. These aren't going to take the place of Wii U Pro controllers.[/quote]

It's not a Pro Controller apparently. It's hardware is a combination of the Wiimote and classic controller. What a let down. If the game doesn't support classic controller, then it may not support this.

[quote name='io']It might just be a parsing of words - I think the initial shipments sold out everywhere, but the subsequent restocks are sitting around in many places.

I can corroborate your experience. I'd take it further, though, and say the Wii was not readily available for about 15 months after launch. On the other hand, my local Fred Meyer has had both versions of the Wii U sitting in their case since last Tues/Weds (after selling their initial shipment in the first 2 days). And I saw the white ones at Target Sunday evening after presumably a ton of shoppers had a chance to buy them.

I think it is a combination of several factors:

1) They do have more Wii U's available than they did Wii's.
2) As others have said, the GC was over and done with and did not cannibalize sales like the Wii is currently doing to the Wii U.
3) It simpy isn't the hot new thing that the Wii was in Nov/Dec 2005.

None of that means it is or will be a failure, it is just a different set of circumstances. It seems to be selling just fine numbers-wise which really seems to support the assertion that they have made many more of these available than they did with the original Wii.[/QUOTE]

I think they have more in stock but I know they don't have as much in stock as the first 14 months of the Wii and it was sold out that entire time. I agree with you on that length of time by the way. I was simply saying I had to buy some stupid $400+ bundle to get a Wii months after launch.

I think the biggest reason it's doing poorly (and this seems obvious) is because of low demand. People simply don't want it. Again, more anecdotal evidence BUT, I showed my wife some videos of the Wii U in action and she told me, "The tablet makes me not want it". I still plan on buying it when it's come down in price AND has games for it since it's backwards compatible with the Wii.

My wife wanted the original Wii to play and we got Wii Fit when that came out. She has no interest in the Wii U. Even *I* as a "hardcore gamer" have no interest in buying it right now. That's pretty telling, wouldn't you say?

[quote name='Lyth']GoNintendo says this:

It's not a Pro Controller apparently. It's hardware is a combination of the Wiimote and classic controller. What a let down. If the game doesn't support classic controller, then it may not support this.[/QUOTE]

I'll consider this just a virtual console controller and be plenty happy with that. I hate tethering my classic controller to a wiimote.

My wife wanted the original Wii to play and we got Wii Fit when that came out. She has no interest in the Wii U. Even *I* as a "hardcore gamer" have no interest in buying it right now. That's pretty telling, wouldn't you say?

Gee funny my wife was very excited about it, she plays it as much as I do and we are both fairly core gamers. We also own a 360 and PS3. I'd say that's at least equally telling.

bread's done
Back