Wii U - General Discussion Thread

So let me get this straight, the basic system has 8GB of storage right, and the OS takes up about 5GB of storage from that 8GB right, or am I calculating something wrong here. This leaves basic owners with very little storage if I am indeed correct, especially since there will likely be many more huge updates in the future.

Also can I officially consider the regular Wii shop and virtual console dead, as in there will be no more releases for the Wii version of the e-shop or whatever it is called now? If so I will go spend my points, I know they will carry over to a new system but I may as well get the content while I still have a Wii should I decide to get the Wii U in the future.

The update size isn't so bad, its the lack of storage on the 8GB system that is, the updates on other systems are much faster but I just downloaded an over 800MB update from Apple in the form of iOS 6.0.1 or whatever the latest version is.

OS takes up 1GB, from what I've heard. Also heard that the 1GB update actually replaces the original OS space, so there's no space lost when updating, I believe.

Still leaves basic owners (like me) with not a whole lot of space, though.

To be fair, though, I can confirm that moving all 19 of my VC games (six of which are 64 games) as well as all of my Wii game saves took less than 512 MB, which was a nice surprise.

[quote name='masked lemon']If you took the time to read the last page of posts, you would see that it fixed system stability and loading time issues.[/QUOTE]

He wants to give you the answer, but also wants you to feels bad.

So I got a brand new system from Nintendo. Now I get Error 105-0642 whenever I try to download anything or install any game updates. :whistle2:\

Just got one today! I'm so excited! Snagged ZombieU, a pro controller and a case for it. Currently going through the update.

When I was trying to connect it to the Internet I had to manually enter my settings...did anyone else have this problem?

So I'm watching the Nintendo direct now, just a couple of quick thoughts-Lego City looks boring to me, it's essentially no different than every lego game ever just without a license behind it. I really don't get the point of Panaroma View at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Pikmin 3 is much like Kid Icarus and gets delayed yet again. Looks gorgeous and fun though.

[quote name='crunchewy']Who's the wise-guy that changed the forum title that way???[/QUOTE]

Had to be Cheapy - don't think anyone else can change those.

[quote name='PieterMc']So I got a brand new system from Nintendo. Now I get Error 105-0642 whenever I try to download anything or install any game updates. :whistle2:\[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure of the exact number, but all I got was errors when I was on WiFi. Even when I could get the connection test to work, when I actually went to do anything (like download or update) it gave me errors like that. I got it to work a short time when I parked the Wii U right next to my router but even then it was flaky and slow. All the problems went away (and download speed got much faster) when I bought a USB network adapter (a Wii one works just fine). I think the update took about 30 minutes for me with the adapter.

Some people have no problems with WiFi, obviously. I think it has something to do with incompatibility with certain wireless routers (mine is a NetGear).

[quote name='HeroToTheMasses']Makes loading apps much quicker. Maybe I'm wrong. Feels that way though.

Question: Can you install your disc games to the HDD?[/QUOTE]

No, there's no option to install disc games to a hard drive. Hopefully, Nintendo will add that in the future as I find the disc drive is rather noisy. Thankfully, load times have been nowhere near as bad as PS3 games were/are.

[quote name='Erad30']So I'm watching the Nintendo direct now, just a couple of quick thoughts-Lego City looks boring to me, it's essentially no different than every lego game ever just without a license behind it. I really don't get the point of Panaroma View at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Pikmin 3 is much like Kid Icarus and gets delayed yet again. Looks gorgeous and fun though.[/QUOTE]

I think the saddest part about the whole thing is that they keep talking about this Lego game like it's a huge deal. Nintendo, wake up! It's just another Lego game. There's nothing to get excited about. We know what to expect: There'll be some jumping, building, some silly humor, missions, etc. It's all been done before.

Now, go ahead and announce some games that will help you sell some systems. Otherwise, stop putting this shovelware in your broadcasts.

I'm pretty excited about Lego City. They make strong games when they are stuck in the movie format (Pirates, Harry Potter), and Stronger games when their leash is loosened (Batman 2). I'm interested in seeing what they can do with more freedom. What i've seen seems like a more robust version of the open world from Batman 2, but without any specific movie ties- which means they can parody ALL THE THINGS! It seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

[quote name='dragonjud']I think the saddest part about the whole thing is that they keep talking about this Lego game like it's a huge deal. Nintendo, wake up! It's just another Lego game. There's nothing to get excited about. We know what to expect: There'll be some jumping, building, some silly humor, missions, etc. It's all been done before.

Now, go ahead and announce some games that will help you sell some systems. Otherwise, stop putting this shovelware in your broadcasts.[/QUOTE]

The Lego series of games sells surprisingly well, its exclusive (at least for a period of time), and is published by Nintendo. They are pushing the game because they have an interest in pushing the game.

It may well move some systems.

[quote name='foltzie']The Lego series of games sells surprisingly well, its exclusive (at least for a period of time), and is published by Nintendo. They are pushing the game because they have an interest in pushing the game.

It may well move some systems.[/QUOTE]
The point isn't that it will move systems, it's that the promotion itself smacks of desperation. Your "pushing the game" tautology sidesteps the point: they're pushing the game because it's all they have. They're stuck waiting on first-party titles.

They know they're going through the motions, and we know they're going through the motions. Because we all know Lego City isn't moving Nintendo consoles. Be honest. Nintendo titles move Nintendo consoles.

Once they have a full complement of first-party titles, then we'll be in a position to judge system movement, as it were. I think the early going hasn't been so bad. Nobody honestly expected it to replicate the Wii's success, and I think they did a good job of avoiding the 3DS pitfalls (the only real misstep being the timing of the Wii Mini, which just confuses people further). They just need to get some real games out quick, if any of the big titles miss the Launch Window, that could be a sign of bad things.

Was my Deluxe supposed to have anything in the box (a card or something) for the Digital Deluxe Program. The only thing I could find was a sticker on the box. I'm probably being dense, but I want to make sure I don't miss out.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Was my Deluxe supposed to have anything in the box (a card or something) for the Digital Deluxe Program. The only thing I could find was a sticker on the box. I'm probably being dense, but I want to make sure I don't miss out.[/QUOTE]

Go to the E-shop, and it'll prompt you to link your Nintendo club account. A short time (days or hours) later, a 'to-do' will appear in your Nintendo account. Once you complete it, you will receive the coins. There's no 'additional' warranty time being offered this time around (for registering your device).

Hah - I was wondering about the registration. I just never had a reason to go to the E-shop so I guess I'll do that just for the linkage/coins.

My first Miiverse posting was censored after twenty minutes (understandably graphic/violent). I resubmitted a similar illustration with a caption and it's still up.

It's only a spoiler if you care about the ending off Call of Duty games:

I guess abstract figures over a grave are fine as long as they have clenched fist and aren't on fire

imgp8181.jpg

Random thought, but I really hope Nintendo plans on doing sales on the retail downloadable games. I understand that the system just launched and everything, but I hope they don't pull an Xbox and leave things at MSRP or give little discounts on the on-demand games.

[quote name='dothog']The point isn't that it will move systems, it's that the promotion itself smacks of desperation. Your "pushing the game" tautology sidesteps the point: they're pushing the game because it's all they have. They're stuck waiting on first-party titles.

They know they're going through the motions, and we know they're going through the motions. Because we all know Lego City isn't moving Nintendo consoles. Be honest. Nintendo titles move Nintendo consoles.

Once they have a full complement of first-party titles, then we'll be in a position to judge system movement, as it were. I think the early going hasn't been so bad. Nobody honestly expected it to replicate the Wii's success, and I think they did a good job of avoiding the 3DS pitfalls (the only real misstep being the timing of the Wii Mini, which just confuses people further). They just need to get some real games out quick, if any of the big titles miss the Launch Window, that could be a sign of bad things.[/QUOTE]

Im not arguing that Lego Undercover is a great title, just that they, as publisher, have a larger interest in pushing that particular title.

On the third party front, you are of course right, but it is a system launch. The Wii didnt have a stellar third party lineup either. Compared to the Wii the Wii U launch lineup is better, on paper, save for a large Zelda sized gap that isnt quite filled by the Mario game and something that redefines gaming like Wii Sports. Big gaps to be sure*

*I'm quite surprised that Nintendo didnt make a copy of Wii Sports available for download for the Wii U, they must have decided that the Wii still sells well enough with Wii Sports as the most common pack-in.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'm surprised Nintendo didn't release a special edition HD Skyward Sword to have a Zelda launch title.[/QUOTE]

Or going along with what foltzie said, how about an HD remake of Wii Sports with support for the Gamepad (showing bowling scores, etc)? Make it $10 Nintendo ;).

[quote name='io']Or going along with what foltzie said, how about an HD remake of Wii Sports with support for the Gamepad (showing bowling scores, etc)? Make it $10 Nintendo ;).[/QUOTE]

If they put Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD out on Wii U I'd buy every game they'd come out with for the remainder of the Wii U's lifecycle.

[quote name='KingBroly']If they put Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD out on Wii U I'd buy every game they'd come out with for the remainder of the Wii U's lifecycle.[/QUOTE]

SHHH..... Don't say that, I'm still holding onto 4 sealed copies of MPT.

I would love HD remakes of there N64 and GameCube library!!!

[quote name='skiizim']SHHH..... Don't say that, I'm still holding onto 4 sealed copies of MPT.

I would love HD remakes of there N64 and GameCube library!!![/QUOTE]

You're just the worst!

Just kidding. If you want to sell me a sealed copy, I'll give you $60. That's what Gamestop is charging for used ones, but I'd obviously rather get a new copy (and have the money go to a CAG)

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they started releasing Wii games as e-shop downloads (or even full-on retail titles) with updated controls/functions for the gamepad.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Just kidding. If you want to sell me a sealed copy, I'll give you $60. That's what Gamestop is charging for used ones, but I'd obviously rather get a new copy (and have the money go to a CAG)[/QUOTE]

Sure, let me sell $150 sealed copy because you saw the used price being listed at $60, assuming you can even find a copy.

There are WiiUs available everywhere. I was at Target, TRU and GameStop doig some Christmas shopping and all 3 places had both the black and white models. That can't be a good sign.

[quote name='Javery']There are WiiUs available everywhere. I was at Target, TRU and GameStop doig some Christmas shopping and all 3 places had both the black and white models. That can't be a good sign.[/QUOTE]

Is it possible that Nintendo saw what happened with the original Wii shortage, and is flooding the market in the holiday season to strike while the iron is hot? More consoles in houses means more people motivated to buy games for them, especially since 90% of WiiU buyers come away with a copy of NintendoLand and NSMBU.

I'm honestly not sure whether the high availability of the console is by design, or if the system just isn't selling well. I'm sure there are numbers out there somewhere that back up one argument or the other.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Is it possible that Nintendo saw what happened with the original Wii shortage, and is flooding the market in the holiday season to strike while the iron is hot? More consoles in houses means more people motivated to buy games for them, especially since 90% of WiiU buyers come away with a copy of NintendoLand and NSMBU.

I'm honestly not sure whether the high availability of the console is by design, or if the system just isn't selling well. I'm sure there are numbers out there somewhere that back up one argument or the other.[/QUOTE]

How does that (flooding of consoles onto the market) jive with the production issues they had? I don't see them flooding the US with consoles.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/manufacturing_difficulties_hampering_wii_u_launch_plans_report.html

Production issues have been said to be cost related moreso than output.

Remember when I said to wait two years before you can really make a call on the system? I guess no one does.

[quote name='Strell']Production issues have been said to be cost related moreso than output.

Remember when I said to wait two years before you can really make a call on the system? I guess no one does.[/QUOTE]
The Vita's been out less than a year and it's already been declared a failure almost universally. If you look at the Black Friday prices for it after only what, 9 or 10 months from release....

[quote name='Strell']Something something apples and oranges...[/QUOTE]
I don't get how it's apples and oranges? Is it too early to call the Wii U a failure? Yes. Do we need to wait 2 years? No. If we get to the summer and the thing hasn't sold through many units then IMO it's safe to call it a failure. What we see now are symptoms of a possible failure. When we get the NPD numbers for December, if they are really bad, then we may not have to wait till the summer to declare it a failure. If it can't succeed in the holidays then it can't succeed at all.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't get how it's apples and oranges? Is it too early to call the Wii U a failure? Yes. Do we need to wait 2 years? No. If we get to the summer and the thing hasn't sold through many units then IMO it's safe to call it a failure. [/quote]

And that would be the wrong thing to do.

What we see now are symptoms of a possible failure. When we get the NPD numbers for December, if they are really bad, then we may not have to wait till the summer to declare it a failure. If it can't succeed in the holidays then it can't succeed at all.

Which is the exact same thing that was said about the DS and 3DS. And, really, the PSP. Oh, and the PS3. And if you want to be really technical about it, the SNES.

Sorry, but you need a few years to know if something is a failure in this industry. Since hardware sells on the games they play, and given that the average amount of time to develop "big name" console titles is generally 2-3 years, you have to wait for developers to adjust to what is available to make the most of their own sales, which in turn fuel hardware.

Like it or not, you have to wait. Recall that the Wii came out to sold out numbers and yet everyone called it a "fad" and that "the bubble will burst after Christmas."

Have patience or don't. Making predictions either way doesn't help your case.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't get how it's apples and oranges? Is it too early to call the Wii U a failure? Yes. Do we need to wait 2 years? No. If we get to the summer and the thing hasn't sold through many units then IMO it's safe to call it a failure. What we see now are symptoms of a possible failure. When we get the NPD numbers for December, if they are really bad, then we may not have to wait till the summer to declare it a failure. If it can't succeed in the holidays then it can't succeed at all.[/QUOTE]

I think that it's going to take a few years to tell what the console's legacy will be. Wind the clock back three or four years, and the PS3 was perceived as a colossal failure, but I don't think many would argue today that, while it was no PS2, the PS3 is actually a pretty strong console, with plenty of good games.

Don't be hasty, master Baggins!

Yes, it is too early to call the Vita a failure. Just like after launch it was too early to call the 3DS a failure. For me, a failure would be a platform that loses support from developers and is phased out rather quickly for another platform, or leaving the market entirely. I don't see that happening with the Vita.

You'd think after what happened with the 3DS that people would be less likely to pull the "failure" trigger, especially since the Wii U has a stronger launch lineup than the 3DS.

Nintendo isn't an OS company and is still - unfortunately - learning the ropes on that. The most recent update addressed some of the sluggishness, but I imagine it will be an issue that will take a few months to iron out to a more acceptable state.

[quote name='Blaster man']I've read reviews that the console is sluggish. Is that true? If so, anyone care to speculate why?[/QUOTE]

Strell is correct, but I'd emphasize that the "sluggishness" is isolated to the OS. Things like opening or closing the internet browser take a bit longer than expected, but n-game everything has been super-crisp, as far as I can tell. The last update, as indicated by Strell, cut down on load times, and we can hope that future updates will cut down further.

Sidenote: the browser is fast as hell!

[quote name='Strell']Nintendo isn't an OS company and is still - unfortunately - learning the ropes on that. The most recent update addressed some of the sluggishness, but I imagine it will be an issue that will take a few months to iron out to a more acceptable state.[/QUOTE]

Seconded, with one note, the 3DS boots rather quickly and loads up apps on the SD card without any noticable delay, I dont understand why the Wii U load isnt just a fast.

Some apps take far too long to boot, this however, isnt too disimilar to the 3DS where things like Swap Note take FAR too long to load.

Games run just fine.

bread's done
Back