Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Deader2818']Where are you guys downloading balloon fight at?[/QUOTE]

In the eShop I had to manually search for Balloon in the little search box in the top right corner to find it.

Wait, did they announce a price drop? I presume not. Hopefully by Xmas there will be a price drop. That's likely when I'll be buying. Either way I think getting one by then is in the cards. There will be lots of good games for the system by then. I guess I'll miss out on the cheap VC games, but I'll live.

If you bought original VC games on the Wii, but are not happy about the transfer cost from Wii to WiiU, you already paid a fee to re-buy a game from an older Nintendo platform once, why are you complaining about having to do it one more time, for MUCH CHEAPER? Nintendo's not forcing you to upgrade to the WiiU, you can always play the games in Wii mode.

Because they feel they shouldn't have to pay in the first place. There's also the distinct possibility that Nintendo will try this with each and every console going forward. Other companies like Apple and Sony don't have you pay transfer fees like this. Even though Microsoft just flat out dropped XBLA games from Xbox > 360. But that was more of an overall change of service than anything else, which, I guess, is closer to this than anything.

We also don't know the upgrade prices of TG16, Commodore 64, VC Arcade, Genesis and Nintendo 64 games, assuming they're going to be on Wii U as well. I have a funny feeling that TG16 games won't though, but that's more of an issue with Hudson being bought out by Konami than Nintendo being Nintendo.

Windwaker HD...

HD Monolith Soft title...

SMT x FE...

Hell yeah Nintendo!

You are making it easier to justify buying one later this year.

Although it really blows that we have to repurchase our virtual console games to play them on the Wii U gamepad. My concern is not necessarily the price/upgrade cost but the idea that we will have to repurchase the same virtual console games each system generation just to use them on a current system (for the Wii U it's the gamepad feature).

Wii, 3DS, and now Wii U (gamepad).

Compare that to PSN: PSP, PS3, Vita (all compatible with a single digital purchase).

[quote name='dragonjud']Hmm, I guess you're right about always being able to just play in Wii mode.[/QUOTE]

That's totally fair, but Wii mode sucks. Gamecube mode on Wii was way better. I wish I hadn't transferred over and just used my Wii for Wii stuff.

[quote name='KingBroly']Because they feel they shouldn't have to pay in the first place. There's also the distinct possibility that Nintendo will try this with each and every console going forward. Other companies like Apple and Sony don't have you pay transfer fees like this. Even though Microsoft just flat out dropped XBLA games from Xbox > 360. But that was more of an overall change of service than anything else, which, I guess, is closer to this than anything. [/QUOTE]

I guess I get that argument, but the way I see it is this: you bought Resident Evil 4 on the gamecube, but you have THE OPTION to buy the RE4 Wii version with improved functionality for a relatively decent price. You can also keep your Gamecube around to play the original RE4 without paying for a new copy. Similar deal with Wii to WiiU VC games.

Admittedly, they are really just adding gamepad and MiiVerse support, but then again, if you already bought the game, the most you're paying to transfer is $1.50 a pop. Worth it for me for SOME of the games, not so much for others. I have no problem with this.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Nintendo's not forcing you to upgrade to the WiiU[/QUOTE]

I think this is where you misunderstand. I'm well aware of what they're not forcing me to do, or, rather, that they're not forcing me to do anything. I'm a consumer, my dollar can go where I want it to.

As a business, they should be doing things to *encourage* me to upgrade to the Wii U. This surcharge is a disincentive. The opposite of what they should be doing.

So, correct, they're not forcing me to do anything. I agree. But that's not what I want them to do - I want them to encourage me, not discourage me.

No universal account = no buy on digital stuff at least, until this is fixed, if its never fixed then its no buy on digital Nintendo stuff period. Console will have to get a massive price drop for me to even consider it. I am not interested in remakes, especially remakes that I already own. The upgrade cost is ridiculous, they could have upgraded everyone, or at least early adopters for free. Too much cheap Wii stuff out there right now as well, being a generation behind with Nintendo is the way to go. Unless you can get a newer system for cheap ($99 3DS from Sears for example) or win one in a contest without having to pay for it.

It would be nice if the Miiverse came to 3DS before it comes to smartphones but either is fine with me.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think this is where you misunderstand. I'm well aware of what they're not forcing me to do, or, rather, that they're not forcing me to do anything. I'm a consumer, my dollar can go where I want it to.

As a business, they should be doing things to *encourage* me to upgrade to the Wii U. This surcharge is a disincentive. The opposite of what they should be doing.

So, correct, they're not forcing me to do anything. I agree. But that's not what I want them to do - I want them to encourage me, not discourage me.[/QUOTE]

And not only that, in doing this, they're selectively discouraging a demographic that is otherwise likely to be more interested in WIIU VC activity (and perhaps other WIIU-related purchases) than someone who is new to Nintendo and/or WIIU. Which is to say that I would imagine that there is a correlation between VC title-ownership and brand loyalty.

Those are exactly the customers N should be encouraging with the "little things" like VC transfers. Reward those mofos! Of all customers, don't nickel-and-dime those people, because all it's going to is lead to another install base drop from console/handheld generation to generation.

Yea- not excited about this VC stuff. It doesn't seem like the right way to handle this, but I'll withold judgement until Sony and 360 cross that threshold with a major console (Although, the way sony handled the transfer of content from the PSP/PS3 to Vita was smooth and awesome).

I mean, the whole idea of "unlocking" the wiiU version is only necessary because of the artificial walled garden they created by building the Wii emulator the way they did. If the system just ran the discs like the wii did (or the PS3 for PSone and formerly PS2 games), they would have had to choose between posting old VC titles to the WiiU menu or not allowing them to be transfered at all.

I could care less about the VC stuff. If you have to have a Wii U enhanced version of Super Metroid, then the $1 could be worth it. If it's for lesser games like Galaga or one of many versions of SF2, that $1 is pointless.

The Virtual Console thing could've made more sense if I could just download the games I already bought as is to my Wii U for free and pay the buck or so if I want the extra features. Having to do the transfer just to get access to the discount makes that more of a hassle than I may be willing to take.

Even then, legacy PSP content for Vita received extra features (control enhancements, mostly) for free.

[quote name='dothog']And not only that, in doing this, they're selectively discouraging a demographic that is otherwise likely to be more interested in WIIU VC activity (and perhaps other WIIU-related purchases) than someone who is new to Nintendo and/or WIIU. Which is to say that I would imagine that there is a correlation between VC title-ownership and brand loyalty.

Those are exactly the customers N should be encouraging with the "little things" like VC transfers. Reward those mofos! Of all customers, don't nickel-and-dime those people, because all it's going to is lead to another install base drop from console/handheld generation to generation.[/QUOTE]

This is Nintendo we're talking about here.

OK, total newbie question here. I guess I wouldn't mind buying the 30 cent Balloon Fight. But I've never bought anything on the 3DS or Wii U digitally. Lack of points cards (that can be bought on sale) means very few purchases for me... But 30 cents I can't pass up. If I'm using a credit card (again, something I have never done on any system) do they just charge you the 30 cents, or do you have to fund in incremements of $5 or something? Seems like I heard that somewhere about some system.

Also, I know the 3DS has sort of points cards (ie, cash value cards like PSN). Is there something like that for the Wii U? That way at least I could use Best Buy or Amazon credit and not put a credit card on file with the system.

And yeah, thinking about it a bit, mykevermin hit it right on the head: these upgrades should be free if for no other reason then to encourage early Wii adopters who bought a lot of VC stuff early on but then stopped playing the Wii entirely for the last 3-4 years to upgrade to the new system. I imagine a good chunk of CAG falls into that category.

On the other hand, a new Xenoblade game in and of itself justifies my Wii U purchase. As for Wind Waker HD - nice idea, but unfortunately that is the only Zelda game I ever finished so I probably won't be picking that up. Too bad they couldn't do Skyward Sword (which I have yet to play at all).

Holy SHIT those WW screens are fucking gorgeous!!! Day 1 (just like the GCN release was before it :D )

New Mario, Kart, and Zelda "in development" is not an announcement, it's a given, but its good that Mario and Kart will be playable at E3. Gives hope for a holiday release at least.

Also very excited about new Monolith game:
amekbv.gif

io:

I do know there are cards for the eShop that are in various increments. Gamestop has them for example, and they'll be for X amount of dollars. I know there's a $50 card for example; it's obvious these are meant to address buying retail games digitally. I want to say there's a $30 or maybe a $20, but don't quote me on that. Since they aren't point based and instead are cash based, they can easily do charges in various amounts.

I don't know much about this "if you buy something on the eShop with a card, it has to be a minimum amount/in some certain increment" thing. That's never been the case with the 3DS, but I don't know if the Wii U is any different.

Speaking generally, I don't like using cards on systems directly given some of the issues that have risen in past years. The two biggest examples are the PSN security hack from 2011, and the fact that Microsoft removed the ability to stop auto-renew of XBL accounts. What REALLY gives me pause is that both of those companies are far, far longer with their online stuff than Nintendo could ever hope to be, so it makes me really hesitant to want to use Nintendo's system for electronic purchases.

Hence, I'm far more inclined to by cards as I need them from retail stores, if only because that seems "safer" in the long run.

Anyway, take this how you will.

[quote name='io']OK, total newbie question here. I guess I wouldn't mind buying the 30 cent Balloon Fight. But I've never bought anything on the 3DS or Wii U digitally. Lack of points cards (that can be bought on sale) means very few purchases for me... But 30 cents I can't pass up. If I'm using a credit card (again, something I have never done on any system) do they just charge you the 30 cents, or do you have to fund in incremements of $5 or something? Seems like I heard that somewhere about some system.

Also, I know the 3DS has sort of points cards (ie, cash value cards like PSN). Is there something like that for the Wii U? That way at least I could use Best Buy or Amazon credit and not put a credit card on file with the system.[/QUOTE]
You can pay exact change if you want and there are general purpose cards for the 3DS and Wii U eShop.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nintend...68053&st=6668053, 6668141, 6668114_&cp=1&lp=1

[quote name='Strell']
Speaking generally, I don't like using cards on systems directly given some of the issues that have risen in past years. The two biggest examples are the PSN security hack from 2011, and the fact that Microsoft removed the ability to stop auto-renew of XBL accounts. What REALLY gives me pause is that both of those companies are far, far longer with their online stuff than Nintendo could ever hope to be, so it makes me really hesitant to want to use Nintendo's system for electronic purchases.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Well, I might stop in GS tonight and I'll see if they have any cards. I don't see a listing for them on Amazon or Best Buy (unlike the 3DS shop cards) so that's why I wasn't even sure they existed for the Wii U.

Edit: thanks Frisky - a general search for me on "Wii U shop" or "Wii U eshop" didn't show that link. I guess I'll grab one of those with my GS credit tonight. Though funding it with $20 is a little bit of overkill for a few months worth of 30 cent games ;). But hopefully I'll have more use for it later too.

I just thought of a good use for the Wii -> Wii U upgrade promotion that makes it useful even if I have to pay $1-$2. I have 1000 points on my Wii shop account that I haven't touched in at least 4 years. I also have 3 or 4 Wii Points cards from some long forgotten promo (got them for $3-$10). I guess once a game comes out on the Wii U VC, I could buy the Wii version and then pay the $1-$2 to "upgrade" it. That's all I'm essentially paying then, since the Wii points cards were purchased long ago and that money is long gone. But of course that will only work for games that are on both systems and ones that I haven't already bought.

[quote name='lmz00']Do we get to keep the save data from our Wii virtual console titles when upgrading them?[/QUOTE]
I don't think you're actually upgrading them, but you can get the upgraded version from the Wii U eShop for cheaper if you've done the Wii Transfer to the Wii U. So I'd bet that whatever you've done in the original Wii version stays there unless they have a trick up their sleeve.

Edit: And io, stop being a jerk and respond to my Wii U friend request. :whistle2:( The visibility of that stuff must be really bad if nobody has ever responded to my requests after three weeks. It really should appear under the notifications tab at the very least.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']OK, total newbie question here. I guess I wouldn't mind buying the 30 cent Balloon Fight. But I've never bought anything on the 3DS or Wii U digitally. Lack of points cards (that can be bought on sale) means very few purchases for me... But 30 cents I can't pass up. If I'm using a credit card (again, something I have never done on any system) do they just charge you the 30 cents, or do you have to fund in incremements of $5 or something? Seems like I heard that somewhere about some system.
[/QUOTE]

I just bought Balloon Fight with my credit card and it only charged me the .32 (.30+tax). When you buy, if you don't have enough money in your account, it gives you the option to pay the balance with a credit card. I have nothing in my account, so I paid the whole .32 with my card. Additionally, you are given the option to keep the card on file for future purchases or not.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't think you're actually upgrading them, but you can get the upgraded version from the Wii U eShop for cheaper if you've done the Wii Transfer to the Wii U. So I'd bet that whatever you've done in the original Wii version stays there unless they have a trick up their sleeve.

Edit: And io, stop being a jerk and respond to my Wii U friend request. :whistle2:( The visibility of that stuff must be really bad if nobody has ever responded to my requests after three weeks. It really should appear under the notifications tab at the very least.[/QUOTE]

I haven't turned on my Wii U in 2-3 weeks (I was out of town all last week). Every time I turn it on I check the friend requests so for sure I haven't been on since you sent it. Shipwreck hasn't responded to mine in nearly 2 months if that makes you feel better ;).

[quote name='io']I haven't turned on my Wii U in 2-3 weeks (I was out of town all last week). Every time I turn it on I check the friend requests so for sure I haven't been on since you sent it. Shipwreck hasn't responded to mine in nearly 2 months if that makes you feel better ;).[/QUOTE]
I figured that, but I wanted to give you some shit while you were here.

Is the Wii straight-up backwards compatible with Wii? Seeing as how PS3 and 360 "burned" us this gen (Xbox's largely incomplete and glitchy BC, PS3's "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" BC), are there any reports of games being problematic on the Wii U?

[quote name='drktrpr1']If you bought original VC games on the Wii, but are not happy about the transfer cost from Wii to WiiU, you already paid a fee to re-buy a game from an older Nintendo platform once, why are you complaining about having to do it one more time, for MUCH CHEAPER? Nintendo's not forcing you to upgrade to the WiiU, you can always play the games in Wii mode.[/QUOTE]

The press release I saw implied that the Wii U version will be "upgraded"... whatever that means.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Is there any way I can get the points off of my Wii and use them with my Wii U?[/QUOTE]
No. Once you have points/money in your account on a platform, I don't think there's a way to transfer them to anything else.

[quote name='mykevermin']Is the Wii straight-up backwards compatible with Wii? Seeing as how PS3 and 360 "burned" us this gen (Xbox's largely incomplete and glitchy BC, PS3's "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" BC), are there any reports of games being problematic on the Wii U?[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard of any Wii games being incompatible with the Wii U. It works like there's a Wii inside your Wii U. You go into Wii mode and it's just like as if it were a Wii.

Also unlike the Xbox->Xbox 360 and the PS2->PS3, the basic architecture of the Wii U is very similar to that of the Wii. They stuck with a PowerPC chip from IBM and Nintendo did say virtually all games, so I kind of believe them. I'm sure someone will find some game that won't work or will find bugs, but I don't know about them.

Thanks. If "Carnival Games" or "Family fuck Night 2008" turn out to be buggy, that's cool. If Zack and Wiki does, on the other hand...hell to pay and robble robble and internet rage, I suppose.

I can assure you that Zack and Wiki plays fine. A thing to note is that the Wii U upscales the games, not your TV. So what'll end up happening is you'll see a fine black border around the screen.

And the announcement of Mario and Mario Kart coming wasn't the big thing. The fact that they're coming THIS YEAR is. Although I guess people figured 3D Mario was coming this year. I'm surprised at Mario Kart though. It feels too soon for that.

Well, the last console Mario kart was almost 5 years ago. Fits the cycle of it really. Double Dash was 2003 (5 year gap) 64 was 96 (6 year gap) and the first one was 92 (4 year gap)

I just wish someone with the ability would just scream into Nintendo's ears: unified accounts for ownership of the digital content, stop locking to hardware only, DO IT NOW!

Honestly not all that excited about a new Mario Kart. Sonic All-Stars Racing is better than the last couple of efforts so they better bring their A game if they want to get me interested.

[quote name='mykevermin']Is the Wii straight-up backwards compatible with Wii? Seeing as how PS3 and 360 "burned" us this gen (Xbox's largely incomplete and glitchy BC, PS3's "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" BC), are there any reports of games being problematic on the Wii U?[/QUOTE]

The only two issues I've encountered are 1)no GC controller support (obviously) and 2) 4:3 games are permanently stretched to 16:9.

[quote name='KingBroly']I can assure you that Zack and Wiki plays fine. A thing to note is that the Wii U upscales the games, not your TV. So what'll end up happening is you'll see a fine black border around the screen.
[/QUOTE]

So there was a big furor about there being no overscan on Wii U. Instead of setting your TV to 16:9, it's probably set to Screen Fit or Full or something like that.

Wii never had a problem with this, so if you switch to Wii Mode, there will be some empty space at the edge of the screen. Switch back to 16:9 on your TV and it should look better.

For the 4:3 problem, just set your TV's picture mode to 4:3. I don't know if I have any games w/o widescreen support so I can't check. There was a display mode on original Wii settings, not sure if there's one in Wii mode. But yeah, this is all a little weird, but still way better than other makers' BC.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']So there was a big furor about there being no overscan on Wii U. Instead of setting your TV to 16:9, it's probably set to Screen Fit or Full or something like that.

Wii never had a problem with this, so if you switch to Wii Mode, there will be some empty space at the edge of the screen. Switch back to 16:9 on your TV and it should look better.

For the 4:3 problem, just set your TV's picture mode to 4:3. I don't know if I have any games w/o widescreen support so I can't check. There was a display mode on original Wii settings, not sure if there's one in Wii mode. But yeah, this is all a little weird, but still way better than other makers' BC.[/QUOTE]

Umfortunately for me my TV can't do 4:3 Wii emulation because the upscaled resolution locks the aspect ratio.

I also forgot to add that any game's Connect24 functionality won't work but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

After the Nintendo Direct, I think I'm going to take the dive and get a Wii U tomorrow.

Anybody here played The Cave yet? The review scores have been lower than I expected. Also, I read that there's no off-TV play for it, which is a bummer, but it's not a deal breaker. I loved Maniac Mansion on NES, so I think I'll also grab a card tomorrow so I can get The Cave and all the .30 games with the leftover funds.

Saw the kiosk finally had the New Super Mario Bros demo. Pretty fun and solid, though I'm going to wait on picking up a Wii U for the time being. HD Mario was so goddamned delicious looking though!

EDIT: Wind Waker HD! Wow!

[quote name='MetalSlugger']Umfortunately for me my TV can't do 4:3 Wii emulation because the upscaled resolution locks the aspect ratio.

I also forgot to add that any game's Connect24 functionality won't work but I can't think of any off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

Mario Kart Wii
Animal Crossing City Folk
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (for downloads, not uploads)

Don't forget to fill out the bonus Club Nintendo survey for the Wii U if you received an email! Make sure you fill out Question 10 telling Nintendo what you dislike like about the Wii U, so hopefully they can make some changes in the future. I definitely mentioned the fact that your downloads aren't tied to your NNID/Club Nintendo account. The survey ends tomorrow, so act fast!

Edit: There's also individual questions about your opinions on the Gamepad/eShop.

I picked up a Deluxe model yesterday. I'm glad I went this way for one simple reason. Originally, I liked the white system a lot more, and the 24gb difference didn't seem like a lot when SD cards and HDDs are figured in. Anyways, I finally ended up deciding to grab the 32gb model. I really underestimated how useful the charging cradle would be. It's nice to just set the gamepad down on there and know it'll be ready to go when I want to play again, and there's not the hassle of trying to find the charger plug if it slides down behind my TV stand.

I played Nintendo Land with my little sister for a while. We only played Mario Chase and the Luigi's Mansion game. We had a lot of fun with both of them. I'm sure they'll be even better with a couple more people playing. I also got New Super Mario Bros. U, but I haven't opened it yet.

[quote name='Krate']Don't forget to fill out the bonus Club Nintendo survey for the Wii U if you received an email! Make sure you fill out Question 10 telling Nintendo what you dislike like about the Wii U, so hopefully they can make some changes in the future. I definitely mentioned the fact that your downloads aren't tied to your NNID/Club Nintendo account. The survey ends tomorrow, so act fast!

Edit: There's also individual questions about your opinions on the Gamepad/eShop.[/QUOTE]

I dislike that there is no support for Dolby Pro Logic!

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Is it possible to buy VC games in the Wii Shop with an eShop card, or do you have to buy a Wii points card?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you have to use a Wii Points card. I'll trade you one for an eShop card if you want. I have like 4 or 5 useless Wii Points cards sitting around.

Wii Shop points for the Wii Shop. eShop bucks for the eShop. The two don't mix. eShop bucks can be redeemed on either Wii U or 3DS, but they stay there once redeemed.

bread's done
Back