Wii U - General Discussion Thread

OK, so I left it on overnight, and it's still doing its update! Even worse, it shows that it has 4 hours and 45 minutes remaining--which is three times as long as it showed when I went to bed last night.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Called Nintendo. They said to unplug the Internet modem, thereby disrupting the update and unlocking the system. Didn't work. They said to wait an hour and call back if nothing changed. Nothing did, so they told me to unplug the system. Did so, and everything booted up fine. Must wondering what the hell was happening for the last 15 hours!

Can someone explain to me the point of Miiverse? As I browse through the different areas, it just seems like a place where people show off their sketches and ask for help/remark about a specific game.

To be honest, I find the interface a bit clumsy trying to browse through all the uninteresting posts.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the online forums of the internet. haha.

[quote name='shlby']Can someone explain to me the point of Miiverse? As I browse through the different areas, it just seems like a place where people show off their sketches and ask for help/remark about a specific game.

To be honest, I find the interface a bit clumsy trying to browse through all the uninteresting posts.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the online forums of the internet. haha.[/QUOTE]

That's basically it, but it does come in handy if you a quick question about something in a game as you can post screenshots if needed. I think it will get better as it progresses.

It's kind of like reading product reviews on amazon. You could google it and read pro reviews anywhere else, but these are peers with everyday experience with the product. Occasionally the manufacturer will post a reply to a negative review. You're not looking at say, a general cameras forum and hoping to get a reply back about one particular camera, you're looking at this individual camera. That's how it works with the games.

You know how you post on here and say "I don't think anyone at Nintendo is reading this, but..." ? People from Nintendo may actually read it. The founder of Gaijin commented on one of my goofy sketches.

No one whines about repeat threads. The Key Vault thing on Runner 2 has probably come up 300 times on Miiverse. No one says "do a search"

The home screen is just great to look at. I can find out a new game has come out and see users' reaction.

I love the Yeah button. No one obsesses over anonymous downvotes like on reddit or disqus

And I love the drawings. I love seeing them and trying to make them. I love posting goofy screenshots of Batman getting eaten by a shark, and laughing at surreal drawings by Vo.

When a game gets an update or patch, the dev can go to the community and explain what's changed.

Best of all - No sales figures or NINTENDOOM threads

I never noticed this begore because I never used the front USB of the Wii u, but the front door seems a little loose. I mean it's not like it opens by itself or anything, but it does have a bit of a wobble. Anyone else have this? Buggin the crap outta me.

Very noobish of me but where do you find this feature on the Wii U.
I see them pop up in the warra warra plaza but is there a dedicated location for them?

[quote name='moothemagiccow']It's kind of like reading product reviews on amazon. You could google it and read pro reviews anywhere else, but these are peers with everyday experience with the product. Occasionally the manufacturer will post a reply to a negative review. You're not looking at say, a general cameras forum and hoping to get a reply back about one particular camera, you're looking at this individual camera. That's how it works with the games.

You know how you post on here and say "I don't think anyone at Nintendo is reading this, but..." ? People from Nintendo may actually read it. The founder of Gaijin commented on one of my goofy sketches.

No one whines about repeat threads. The Key Vault thing on Runner 2 has probably come up 300 times on Miiverse. No one says "do a search"

The home screen is just great to look at. I can find out a new game has come out and see users' reaction.

I love the Yeah button. No one obsesses over anonymous downvotes like on reddit or disqus

And I love the drawings. I love seeing them and trying to make them. I love posting goofy screenshots of Batman getting eaten by a shark, and laughing at surreal drawings by Vo.

When a game gets an update or patch, the dev can go to the community and explain what's changed.

Best of all - No sales figures or NINTENDOOM threads[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ebucel']Very noobish of me but where do you find this feature on the Wii U.
I see them pop up in the warra warra plaza but is there a dedicated location for them?[/QUOTE]

Click on this icon (on the Gamepad):

TM_WiiU_Miiverse_news_detail_packshot.png

[quote name='ebucel']Very noobish of me but where do you find this feature on the Wii U.
I see them pop up in the warra warra plaza but is there a dedicated location for them?[/QUOTE]

Press the Home button and click the green Miiverse icon. If you press it during most games, it will take you to that game's forum and let you post a screenshot.

From the main menu, you can press X to browse Wara Wara Plaza on your gamepad (zoom in/out, click on Miis), or you can browse it with a Wiimote while it's up on your TV. You can also swap screens with the 1 button on the Wiimote if you prefer to start games that way.

Yeah, my cat is fascinated by my mii when he starts juggling crap. I love it. It reminds me of The Muppet Show or something.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']no, wii mode is just like having a wii[/QUOTE]

They really need to hire some better employees - someone that can figure out how to make Wii games stream to the gamepad. That would help them a lot..

[quote name='Blaster man']They really need to hire some better employees - someone that can figure out how to make Wii games stream to the gamepad. That would help them a lot..[/QUOTE]

Its really not as simple as you make it sound.

[quote name='Deader2818']Its really not as simple as you make it sound.[/QUOTE]

I didn't make it sound simple. I'm suggesting they hire some new employees that could do it better. I'm sure some of Google's employees could make it happen...

edit:
Look, I think it's become really clear that when Nintendo was racking in the dough back in the 06-09 timeframe they weren't investing in new games, new IP's, and new employees like they should have.

[quote name='Blaster man']I didn't make it sound simple. I'm suggesting they hire some new employees that could do it better. I'm sure some of Google's employees could make it happen...

edit:
Look, I think it's become really clear that when Nintendo was racking in the dough back in the 06-09 timeframe they weren't investing in new games, new IP's, and new employees like they should have.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

[quote name='Blaster man']I didn't make it sound simple. I'm suggesting they hire some new employees that could do it better. I'm sure some of Google's employees could make it happen...

edit:
Look, I think it's become really clear that when Nintendo was racking in the dough back in the 06-09 timeframe they weren't investing in new games, new IP's, and new employees like they should have.[/QUOTE]

The hardware in the Wii U is literally not capable of doing it. No amount of magic programming will suddenly "make it work".

[quote name='maximumzero']The hardware in the Wii U is literally not capable of doing it. No amount of magic programming will suddenly "make it work".[/QUOTE]

Source? I find that hard to believe.

[quote name='Blaster man']They really need to hire some better employees - someone that can figure out how to make Wii games stream to the gamepad. That would help them a lot..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and it would have open the system up to piracy from Day 1. It's the same reason why you can't use the Pro Controller on Wii games too. At least, that's what I know.

[quote name='elessar123']Source? I find that hard to believe.[/QUOTE]
The Wii emulator runs in its own sandbox separate from the rest of the system, so getting it to work with the GamePad would mean completely overhauling the Wii emulator to be something different than what it is right now. They could probably do it, but that's a lot of work to do that.

[quote name='elessar123']Source? I find that hard to believe.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the entirety of the Wii hardware is inside the Wii U, just as the Gamecube hardware was inside the Wii.

When a Wii game is played, everything that's Wii U specific gets switched off, and it basically becomes a Wii on the hardware level; I.E., it's not emulation.

This is why the Wii U Pro Controller doesn't work. If it doesn't work on the old Wii hardware, it won't work on the Wii U's internal Wii hardware.

[quote name='maximumzero']Pretty much the entirety of the Wii hardware is inside the Wii U, just as the Gamecube hardware was inside the Wii.

When a Wii game is played, everything that's Wii U specific gets switched off, and it basically becomes a Wii on the hardware level; I.E., it's not emulation.

This is why the Wii U Pro Controller doesn't work. If it doesn't work on the old Wii hardware, it won't work on the Wii U's internal Wii hardware.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has become pretty good at this, the Wii did this with Gamecube games, which is why you would see the Wii boot into Gamecube mode when you started a GCN game.

100% BC at the cost of no new features.

[quote name='foltzie']Nintendo has become pretty good at this, the Wii did this with Gamecube games, which is why you would see the Wii boot into Gamecube mode when you started a GCN game.

100% BC at the cost of no new features.[/QUOTE]
It would've been nice if they designed these emulators a bit differently to work with digital copies of these games so they could sell Wii and Gamecube games on the eShop to help fill out the digital library that is pretty small at the moment.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It would've been nice if they designed these emulators a bit differently to work with digital copies of these games so they could sell Wii and Gamecube games on the eShop to help fill out the digital library that is pretty small at the moment.[/QUOTE]

But it isnt an emulator, but seemingly a different firmware that is booted locking the Wii in Gamcube, and now the Wii U in Wii mode.

It is possible, that Nintendo could do what you suggest using an VC emulator that runs some of its code natively on the Wii U hardware.

It seems that Nintendo is doing this with the GBA Ambassador games on the 3DS.

I think this is why Nintendo is offering the cheap upgrade of Wii VC games to become WiiU VC games... I heard that GamePad play offline is one of the features that WiiU VC games will have.

[quote name='foltzie']But it isnt an emulator, but seemingly a different firmware that is booted locking the Wii in Gamcube, and now the Wii U in Wii mode.

It is possible, that Nintendo could do what you suggest using an VC emulator that runs some of its code natively on the Wii U hardware.

It seems that Nintendo is doing this with the GBA Ambassador games on the 3DS.[/QUOTE]
They could just do it like they did the Virtual Console on Wii have each game wrapped in the emulator needed so it just works natively on the system without having to go into the Wii sandbox that isolates it from everything else. They could still have the Wii mode thing running so you can put in all of your discs and all that if you want to go that route without denying the benefits of having a solid library of some of the Wii's best games that you could play between releases. It seems like they're more concerned with just getting Virtual Console stuff on there and don't care about expanding the scope of what they can offer on the eShop.

I'd also love it if Nintendo released DS games on the 3DS' eShop because there are a ton of great games I'd like to have on there. That doesn't seem like it should be that hard since they already have DSiWare stuff on that eShop.

Question, is there any way to get 200 Wii points? I've got 600 left in my account and would like to grab another SNES game.

Otherwise I suppose I'll just grab an NES game and leave points on the table.

[quote name='ZForce915']Question, is there any way to get 200 Wii points? I've got 600 left in my account and would like to grab another SNES game.

Otherwise I suppose I'll just grab an NES game and leave points on the table.[/QUOTE]
No, I think they only off $10/1000 point chunks on the Wii Shop as the smallest option.

[quote name='ZForce915']Question, is there any way to get 200 Wii points? I've got 600 left in my account and would like to grab another SNES game.

Otherwise I suppose I'll just grab an NES game and leave points on the table.[/QUOTE]
Which SNES game are you looking for? You can buy some of the codes off Amazon for the direct amount (800 plus tax, I think) if they are the more popular titles, such as Super Mario World, for example. Doesn't help out your current situation, but it's a nice option if you just want to get one game (or have extra Amazon / Best Buy to convert to Amazon credit).

If you have 600 points to burn, I always recommend Bubble Bobble Plus at that exact price amount. The four player co-op is a fun addition if you have the people for it.

[quote name='Alucard0x']Wait for e3 for wii u or get one now?[/QUOTE]

Well if you are waiting for a price drop at E3, don't hold your breath. I do think Nintendo knows they really need to deliver a spectaular E3. Whether or not they will is anyone's guess. They could drop the price this holiday, but they won't say that at E3, it would kill any sales momentum they have going with some retail titles finally coming out. I think if they can manage to get Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 out this summer then follow it up with Wind Waker HD & hopefully the definitive version of Rayman they'll be in a pretty good space and hopefully have some really good surprises for Holiday. I'd be really surprised if Smash Bros came out this year, we haven't seen one goddamn thing on it.

Are you planning to get one regardless? If so then no point in waiting as their are quite a few games out now and seem to be a lot of different discounts at various retailers either free games or gift card deals. I got my Zombiu Deluxe set jst over a month ago and have been loving it. But if your not sure you want one then obviously wait until you see what your looking for, and hopefully E3 will show some great new games and give some sold time frames on ones we already know about.

[quote name='Erad30']Well if you are waiting for a price drop at E3, don't hold your breath. I do think Nintendo knows they really need to deliver a spectaular E3. Whether or not they will is anyone's guess. They could drop the price this holiday, but they won't say that at E3, it would kill any sales momentum they have going with some retail titles finally coming out. I think if they can manage to get Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 out this summer then follow it up with Wind Waker HD & hopefully the definitive version of Rayman they'll be in a pretty good space and hopefully have some really good surprises for Holiday. I'd be really surprised if Smash Bros came out this year, we haven't seen one goddamn thing on it.[/QUOTE]

August at the earliest, is my guess. That's where PS4/720 will be priced, which will give Nintendo time to cut price accordingly, if necessary (if 720 is $500, I could see them not dropping price, because I imagine PS4 is going to be around the same price).

But yes, wait. What's on shelves now will be there by the time E3 rolls around.

I say wait for E3. I've had my Wii U since launch and havent had a problem with it and current up to 8 games owned for it and a few eshop titles such as Trine 2 and Toki Tori 2.

At E3 Nintendo will have

Smash Bros(confirmed)
New 3D Mario(confirmed)
New Mario Kart (confirmed)
Project ''X'' which is possible Xenoblade Chronicles 2(most likely)
Yoshis Yarn (pretty sure we'll see that)
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (pretty sure we'll see gameplay)
Retro Studios new game (no doubt we'll see it)
Wind Waker HD (im pretty sure we'll see in game footage)
Bayonetta 2 (im pretty sure we'll see footage)

I'm pretty sure everything I just named above will be shown off in some fashion,plus whatever else Nintendo has up their sleeves. I'm fairly confident this will be a good E3 for Nintendo. All ready owning a Wii U, this just gives me more to add to my game collection for it :D

Unless you are a big Monster Hunter fan (like myself) I would hold off until this holiday.

By then there will be a new bundle at least, more games to play, and the system interface should be improved as well.

[quote name='GameNChick']I say wait for E3. I've had my Wii U since launch and havent had a problem with it and current up to 8 games owned for it and a few eshop titles such as Trine 2 and Toki Tori 2.

At E3 Nintendo will have

Smash Bros(confirmed)
New 3D Mario(confirmed)
New Mario Kart (confirmed)
Project ''X'' which is possible Xenoblade Chronicles 2(most likely)
Yoshis Yarn (pretty sure we'll see that)
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (pretty sure we'll see gameplay)
Retro Studios new game (no doubt we'll see it)
Wind Waker HD (im pretty sure we'll see in game footage)
Bayonetta 2 (im pretty sure we'll see footage)

I'm pretty sure everything I just named above will be shown off in some fashion,plus whatever else Nintendo has up their sleeves. I'm fairly confident this will be a good E3 for Nintendo. All ready owning a Wii U, this just gives me more to add to my game collection for it :D[/QUOTE]

I'm just wondering how much of that will come out this year-I think Yoshi's Yarn might be out by Christmas and Wind Waker is already dated for August. Beyond that I'm not sure anything on the above list will make it out this year we've seen so little on virtually all those titles.

Yoshi's yarn will be out this year, I'm pretty sure 3D Mario will be out this year and then Mario Kart around feb/march 2014(cant see them releasing both around the same time)

Project X is definitely 2014
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem I'm guessing will be either holiday or early 2014
Smash Bros 2014
Retro.. im going to go out on a limb and say THIS year due to its development time and it was supposed to be shown off last year
Wind Waker HD this year
Bayonetta 2 2014

so pretty much what I'm thinking is

Retros game
Mario 3D
Yoshi's Yarn
Wind Waker HD

will be out this year. But again I'm just going based off retros development time,mario 3d being fully playable at E3(same with mario kart), Yoshis Yarn just seems like a fit for summer for some reason, Wind Waker as you stated all ready dated for August

plus around June we'll be getting Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3

Then of course the other third party games all ready confirmed for Wii U will be coming out as well. So as long as Nintendo can get out some titles within a month or so of each other, you know at least get titles out in a timely fashion and not have a 3-4 month drought again, were good

This is not even counting what else they show off at E3,hopefully it wont be Wii U Music xD

but to me the only thing wrong with Nintendo is two things

1. Advertisement
2. Lack of communication about title release dates

So hopefully we get solid release dates for stuff coming this year and well into next year for Wii U

Admittedly I'm hoping for a good Wii U summer slate because frankly the PS3 & 360 release list is looking mighty damn slim and while there will be a couple big titles end of the year for current gen isn't looking too hot either with the obvious focus on new hardware. Not to get too off topic but beyond The Last of Us I can't think of a single 360/PS3 title I'm excited about unless they have some real surprises up their sleeves at E3.

Yeah I'm not even interested in The Last Of Us and I cant really say either for 360 nor ps3 a title that im like ''omg i need that'' towards. The last time my PS3 got played was when I bought Ni No Kuni,which is awesome.

360 got played when I beat Tomb Raider and started Ultimate Ninja Storm 3. Then Lego City and Monster Hunter came out and the other systems went on the back burner lol.

Now that I think about it, one title I am looking forward to for PS3 is Beyond Two Souls, but other than that, nothing

360,whatever random multiplat comes out that i feel like playing lol

Wii U currently waiting for Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, cant wait for those

but like you said,hopefully all 3 have some good surprises up their sleeves

Hey guys, I need some help/advice..my son was playing Lego Undercover tonight and after 30 mins of play the gamepad started getting really weird with the audio. Anytime audio was to be played, it would pop, crackle, fizz, etc. It almost sounded like a radio station when you don't have it dialed in exactly straight. I rebooted the system and it was worse than ever on start up. When I moved the gamepad around, sometimes it would come in crystal clear, but only for a second. Even plugging in headphones didn't make it better.

He swears he didn't drop it and if he did he was sitting on the carpet and I have a hard shell on it. I tried to un-sync the gamepad, but found out you can't unless you format the system (even then allegedly) So I don't know whether I should try that or just call customer service and surrender it for 2 weeks..has anyone else experienced this problem? I want to try a battery pull but have to buy the right screwdriver first..

[quote name='token2k6']Hey guys, I need some help/advice..my son was playing Lego Undercover tonight and after 30 mins of play the gamepad started getting really weird with the audio. Anytime audio was to be played, it would pop, crackle, fizz, etc. It almost sounded like a radio station when you don't have it dialed in exactly straight. I rebooted the system and it was worse than ever on start up. When I moved the gamepad around, sometimes it would come in crystal clear, but only for a second. Even plugging in headphones didn't make it better.

He swears he didn't drop it and if he did he was sitting on the carpet and I have a hard shell on it. I tried to un-sync the gamepad, but found out you can't unless you format the system (even then allegedly) So I don't know whether I should try that or just call customer service and surrender it for 2 weeks..has anyone else experienced this problem? I want to try a battery pull but have to buy the right screwdriver first..[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the battery to me, make sure that it is completely charged (i.e. overnight) and then try again. I get this on the wiimotes and it is usually a sign that the batteries are just about to die.

[quote name='Tronny']Sounds like the battery to me, make sure that it is completely charged (i.e. overnight) and then try again. I get this on the wiimotes and it is usually a sign that the batteries are just about to die.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I was able to take the battery cover off, then left it unplugged for 30 minutes. Tried again and same problem. Let it charge over night and tried this morning, no go :cry: !! And with this gamepad, unlike my other devices, I leave it on the charger all the time when not in use. I know this practice is 'iffy' on whether to be done, but until Lego Undercover, we rarely used it and the gamepad would always be dead after 3 weeks of no use or on its last bar..

I'm going to call Ninty up in a minute..

Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.
Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.
xd

sdf
sg
4g
vs

zx x

Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.
Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.Earthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.e
vse
vdsV
SDV
vv
vEarthbound just got confirmed for Wii U VC.

EARTHBOUND JUST GOT CONFIRMED FOR Wii U VC I'M NOT SURE IF YOU HEARD

bread's done
Back